Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 12-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #41
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Draft: Analysis of rounds 1-5

The 1928 ametuer draft is upon us. This is an exciting time for each organization as GM’s put the finishing touches on their lists and are gearing up to hopefully select their clubs next superstar. Currently, we are in round six, but before we break down the selections we have a few important bits of news to share. Boston will no longer be using Denver as it’s AAA affiliate. The Plainsmen have made a decision to leave the Century League where they had been a member since 1907 and become an independent franchise. The move prompted the Minutemen to strike a deal with the Columbus Titans who have an interesting history in their own right. The Titans, who were originally the Peoria Bunnies, joined the Century League in 1897. The Peoria club moved to Columbus in 1904 and then out of the Century League altogether during the 1906 season. From 1906 to 1928 the Titans were a member of the Union League where they finished first four times to go with their two championships from their Century League days. For the 1929 season the Titans have moved back to the Century League and will provide a closer home for Boston’s prospects. As if that weren't exciting enough we have even more news to share. The FABL has decided to strike a deal with the Gulf States league and the Upper Mississippi Valley Association to provide a new level of minors for each of its clubs. The new “C” level of the minor leagues will house all of the organizations youngest prospects. Many of the players taken in this draft will fill this roster. Boston’s affiliate will be the Hattiesburg Top Hats that play in the Gulf States League. I am really excited about this new level of minors because it will give a lot of playing time to prospects that have been languishing on my Arlington clubs bench. Now we can break down some prospects.

Round 1: With the 11th overall pick in the draft we took 1B Barney Meeker a 21 year old from Commonwell Catholic College. Although we have a number of good 1B prospects in the system Meeker was just too good to pass on. He probably would have been taken very shortly after if we didn’t pick him. He was on many shortlists as top college bat available. As a 20 year old Meeker belted 14 homers and hit .349. As a 21 year old he once again hit 14 homers but upped the average to .388 with a .436 OBP. Meeker can also really pick it at first base. I do not know if Meeker will start in Hattiesburg or Arlington just yet. We are just happy he is in the organization.

Round 2: We once again picked 11th in this round and went with another college infielder in 2B Andy Bethel. Andy was the highest rated 2B on our list. Bethel who played for Lubbock State last season is a contact and speed guy who hit .396 last season. Bethel was on base at a 46% clip and used his legs to steal 42 bases in his two year college career. The glove is still a work in progress. He is considered a plus college fielder but he definitely has some room for improvement. He will very likely be playing 2B for Hattiesburg next season.

Round 3: With pitcher flying off the board we needed to grab one of our own with our 3rd round pick. Our 3rd round pick was the 43rd overall pick in the draft and by that point 18 pitchers had already been selected. GM’s though that this was a deep pitching draft but I wasn’t as sold on that assessment. However, pitching is always an area of need and their were a few guys we had our eye on. Our pick Vincent Burrows from Henry Hudson College. The 21 year old right hander went 7-2 with a save for the Explorers this season. His ERA is a bit higher than what we would like out of a 3rd rounder but he has five pitches, is confident, and has an 11.2 K/9 rate for the 1928 season. Hopefully he can develop into something solid.

Round 4: With our 4th pick we went bold. We took a two way high school player in Bill Miller from the Elmira Emeralds. Miller plays LF and is a starting pitcher. Miller hit really well in his first two years of high school but really fell off this last season. Even still, my scouting department loves the kid. Thinks he can hit .350 in the show. I was a bit more sold of the arm myself. He had three solid pitching years in high school and I think if we use him correctly can turn some heads in our organization. This was a gamble pick for sure as he may have gone undrafted for a bit or some savvy GM may have noticed his pitching potential and nabbed him. Miller will be in the Hattiesburg starting rotation and roaming LF on his off days.

Round 5: With our 5th round pick we were high on HS 1B Doc Dill. He almost fell to us but Brooklyn scooped him up a pick before ours. So pivoting away from that we went to our 3B list to select a guy that we thought was the best overall HS 3B in the draft. Monte Jordan and Rich Gourley were two HS kids taken before our guy and both of those players had great hitting seasons. Neither though were rated on my defensive spectrum at all. I like to get the all around guy if I can. So the guy we went with was 3B Ernie Hull out Portland HS. Hull’s bat has been better each year and the glove is already playing at a high level. We think this young man has a ton of upside and he will be manning the hot corner in Hattiesburg this season.

It looks like we will not get a chance to draft our 6th rounder tonight so we will cover the rest of our players in a later analysis.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #42
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1928 Draft: Analysis of rounds 6-13

Round 6: With our pick in this round we went with another HS arm. Typically, I try to draft college arms but with the addition of another minor league level there is a place where these young players can get some legitimate playing time. The player we selected was lefty Lynn McKenzie out of Norfolk High. McKenzie showed vast improvement from his first to second seasons of HS ball. In 57.2 innings at Norfolk this last season McKenzie posted a 4-1 record with a 1.25 ERA. He struck out 61 batters and posted a .85 WHIP. He will be given every opportunity to pitch at Class C in 1929.

Round 7: Catching was a rather weak position this year in the draft. It seemed that guys could either hit a bit and not filed as well or field well but couldn’t hit their way into a “C” level lineup. However, we needed a catcher down at Hattiesburg so we needed to pull the trigger on someone. Once again, based on our system the guy that gave us the best all around game was St. Matthew’s College backstop Bill Holland. In three college seasons Holland owns a .310 batting average with an on-base percentage of .376. As a fielding catcher Holland is not the best in our system but he is pretty solid with plenty of room and time to improve. Look for Holland to be the starting catcher at Hattiesburg in ‘29.

Round 8: College standout Jim Hazeltine was our eighth round selection in the ‘28 draft. Hazeltine is projected to be a middle type change pitcher or someone you can go to in a tight spot. We typically try to stay away from such players. We are looking to develop pitchers that can pitch full games. However, by this point 42 other pitchers had come off the board, and we really liked his ability to strike out batters. Also, Hazeltine pitched 270 innings in college so we may still be able to develop him into a pitcher that can give us a full game.

Round 9: By this point in the draft we had not really addressed our Class C outfield. We did draft Miller 4th but he is going to pitch and play the field. We needed a true three position go get it outfielder. Ten left fielders were already off the board but we still had one of our top guys available and we didn’t want to chance waiting any longer. We selected 21 year old Doug Richardson from Lubbock State. Richardson is the speed contact guy we were looking for. In two college seasons his batting average is .367 with a .432 on base. He also stole 29 bases and was only caught twice. He is not a power guy but if he can use his contact to get on base and then his speed once he is on base we will be quite fine with that. Defensively he can play all three outfield spots giving us a lot of options with this player.

Round 10: SS was another thin class in our opinion this year. I really liked Bob Case out of Henry Hudson but I also knew that if I didn’t draft him with our first pick he would not be there for the second one and he wasn’t as he went 2-3 to St. Louis. Other than Case though, I wasn’t big on any one guy. So that is why we waited all the way to the 10th before we pulled the trigger on a player. We grabbed Tommy Hines out of Pittsburgh High School. Hines has hit better each of his three high school years culminating in a .361 average with a .427 on-base last season. My worry is with the glove. He rated at the bottom end of our evaluation spectrum. I should note that the bottom end of our spectrum is still considered statistically good to above average to others. However, we are a club that puts a premium on defense even at a young age. So being on the low end of our spectrum while playing a position that will see a lot of traffic is a concern. The hope is that he simply blossoms. He will certainly have the opportunity as we are weak at the position below AA.

Round 11: With this pick I wanted to address pitching once again. We went with 21 year old Bayou State Cougar Frank Nuse. Nuse is a gamble but at this point who isn’t? Nuse would be the 61st pitcher drafted so a lot of talent was already off the board. Here is the good. Nuse had a great final college season striking out 90 batters in 78.2 innings and posting an ERA of 1.72 and a WHIP of 1.03. So why didn’t he go higher with those numbers? Well in his second season a sore shoulder took 7 weeks off of his season and his first season in college ball was not very good. So this is a case of sample size. He is trending up, hopefully we hit on this.

Round 12: For this pick we went back to the outfield. There were a lot of quality CF’s in this draft and we were in on none of them. We figured we could grab someone later that could maybe do the job. We probably waited to long on addressing this position but you can’t fill everything. At this point we were looking for a young HS kid that we could try and develop. We selected Woody Meyer out of Decatur. Meyer has the glove we are looking for in a CF player. The bat is the question. I’m concerned that it may never develop. In three high school seasons Meyer never hit over .300. Although his average was a stable between .289 and .290 all three years. Still, it is a big jump to pro ball and I would not be surprised if the bat does not make the jump and ever develop.

Round 13: This was a mistake pick. No two ways around it. By this spot in the draft you go over your lists and see the diamond in the rough and think to yourself “how did this guy fall this far.” That was what I said when I saw HS kid Tracy Seitz still on the board. We had Seitz rated really high on our list but what we failed to do is make sure his family was on board. Shortly after being drafted we were hearing that his parents wanted their son to go to college instead of starting his professional career. 13th round pick or not we have to be better about this going forward. If the kid is on the fence about playing we cannot spend a pick on him. We will make a financial run at the young outfielder but I feel that it will all be in vain.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #43
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Trade: 2/17/1929

Boston would like to announce a trade before we kick off our start to the new season. We sent our contact hitting, solid fielding, 2B Paul McLain to Detroit for the Dynamos 2nd round pick in the ‘29 draft. In the deal Boston also acquired minor league starting pitchers Orie Goodwin and Art Horst.

For Detroit, they are in a win now mode as they upgraded at the Catcher position earlier in the day in a deal with Brooklyn. They will get one of the top hitters in the Boston lineup. McLain was 7th in the FA in hits with 189 last season. He played in 153 games and finished 4th in the FA in Defensive Efficiency. He will definitely be able to help out the Detroit lineup in a multitude of ways.

In return, Boston has acquired Detroit’s 2nd round pick in the ‘29 draft. That will give the Minutemen 3 picks out of the first 36 overall selections in the next draft. Boston will also receive a pair of 24 year old starters that both pitched in A ball a season ago. First up is lefty Orie Goodwin. Goodwin was 14-9 with a 3.78 ERA in 212.0 innings last season. His ERA checked in at 3.78 and he owned a 1.40 WHIP. Goodwin was susceptible to the long ball last year but he shows some upside as he struck out more batters than he walked a year ago. In fact, going back to his college days Goodwin has never walked more than he has struck out in a single season. The other prospect in the deal is righty Art Horst. Horst was a 5th round pick back in the ‘25 draft and was a durable pitcher a year ago with 189.1 innings pitched. Horst has had a roller coaster career but he still is projected to maybe fill a spot start role at the top level. He has a big arm and if he can figure out how to control the free passes he may turn into something. Horst can also two-way as a first basemen if needed. Although, that is not the direction Boston plans to take with him.

GM’s Desk:

Well we swung a deal today. It was tough giving up McLain. He has been really solid for us but we feel we can have Carr slide in and become our everyday 2B. If that doesn’t work most of our top prospects are second basemen so we felt we were dealing from a position of strength. That does not happen often. Ben (Detroit’s GM) was looking to upgrade and we thought the time couldn’t have been better for us to make a move. This whole thing hinges on me to be honest. I’m betting on myself. I just traded a solid player for an unknown draft pick down the road. I have to believe that myself, combined with our scouting department, know these kids enough to make these first three selections in the first 36 stand up. We also picked up a few minor league starting pitchers that could develop into something. Goodwin and Horst have big arms and are at a point where they can turn the developmental corner. One of my goals when I took this job was to get younger in the starting pitcher department. We have way too many guys that are long in the tooth just prolonging careers that are going nowhere. This deal gives me two more young arms that I can give meaningful time to. Goodwin will report to Worcester (AA) and Horst will start at (A) for the time being.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #44
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1929 Spring Training Week #1

The Minutemen, excited to get the new season underway, kicked off their spring set of games on March 19th with a 13-1 drubbing by the hands of the New York Gothams. Bugs Donna, who is expected to start the season in AAA Columbus took a beating in 2.2 innings of work. Things took a turn for the better as Boston won their next four games before dropping a game against Detroit. The Minutemen’s 4-2 record puts them in a meaningless tie for first place in the early spring standings. Here is a quick statistical breakdown of the good and the bad:

Good:
RF Glenn Tweed leads the team in hits and is batting .462 (6-13) in his bid to win an outfield spot after an injury filled ‘28.

2B Carl Carr has gone 4-9 (.444) on the spring with 2 doubles and a triple as the expected rookie starting 2B thanks to the trade of veteran 2B Paul McLane to Detroit.

CF Dick Copeland 4-12 (.333) with a double to start the spring.

LF Homer Krajewski has a pair of doubles and a .444 (4-9) average early.

SS Earl Michael, our 22 year old #2 rated prospect is off to a nice start going 4-10 (.400) in week #1.

SP Verdo Burt has led the team with 7.1 innings of work and a 1.23 ERA to show for it. Burt is working diligently to get back into the starting rotation.

SP Joe Dorsainvil pitched a scoreless 4 innings of work in the second game of the spring against Pittsburgh. Joe is scheduled to be the AA ace this season but a few more starts like that could have Boston brass re-evaluating matters.

Bad:
3B Charlie Barry has limped out of the gate hitting .222 (2-9) both hits were doubles however.

CF Junior Marrero who is fighting for a roster spot has gone 2-10 (.200) with three strikeouts.

1B Bob Scholer is 1-9 (.111) on the spring.

SS Carl Milam is day-to-day with a back right now.

SP Dick Alexander had a rough first start to the spring giving up six earned runs.

GM’s Desk:
So exciting to get the new season underway. Most people say they do not put a lot of stock into spring results but I feel like those people are lying to themselves. Of course you look at the numbers. Good stats when it fits the narrative are touted. Bad stats when it doesn’t are dismissed. Bad stats when it does fit the narrative lead to guys getting cut. Case in point. Looking at Carl Carr’s start to the spring. He has been excellent. Makes me look like a genius trading McLane to make room for him to start. Then you look at Charlie Barry. Barry has had a slow start so I immediately dismiss his results as small sample size and lean on what I know of him as a veteran to tell myself he is fine. Then you have guys like Junior Marrero who is out of options, and he knows it, striking out 3 times in ten at-bats and hitting .200. I think you see the hypocrisy in all of this. As a GM I am always looking at performance and every at bat or inning pitched or played in the field does matter. I just have to be careful how much weight I put on each performance this early. At the end of the day, it is good to be back!!

Old 12-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #45
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1929 Spring Training Week #2

Orie Goodwin started the second week of spring spinning four shutout innings in a 5-0 win over the Pioneers. Glenn Tweed continued his hot spring with a triple and 2B prospect Frank Hutchinson hit his first spring home run. On the 26th the Minutemen decided to give Bugs Donna another crack at the Gothams lineup. In his first outing he gave up 9 runs with 6 of them being earned. This time around however, Donna pitched four shutout innings to further confuse the Minutemen about his placement for the upcoming campaign. The next day against Pittsburgh, 2B prospect and 2nd round draft pick Andy Bethel provided a double and SS Buddy Lane hit a homer in the win. In the game against Philadelphia on the 28th Verdo Burt blew the save by giving up an unearned run. However, Burt leads the team in innings pitched and has a ERA of .79 so far this spring. Against Chicago on the 29th the Minutemen hit 4 doubles as they beat the Chiefs for the second time this spring. Finally, RF Glen Tweed’s home run was the lone bright spot in the 7-1 loss the Minutemen took at the hands of the Eagles.

Good:
RF Glenn Tweed stays hot as a firecracker this spring. He is hitting .500 (10-20) with four of his hits being for extra bases.

2B Carl Carr has cooled a bit in the second week of spring but is still hitting .318 (7-22) with 6 RBI’s (tied for the team lead).

LF Homer Krajewski has had a much better spring this year than last as he is hitting .400 (8-20) with two doubles and more walks than strikeouts. He looks to be putting a hammerlock on LF at the moment.

2B Frank Hutchinson was a 3rd round pick of the ‘24 draft that has never played above AA. He has gone 2-7 (.467) with a home run and 5 RBI’s as he tries to make a bid to skip AAA altogether and secure a roster spot with the Minutemen for ‘29.

SP Verdo Burt continues to impress this spring pitching 11.1 innings and only allowing a single earned run. His ERA is at .79.

SP Al Carroll who is tabbed to start the year in AAA has pitched 9.1 innings and sporting an ERA of 2.89 this spring.

Bad:
3B Charlie Barry’s average is down to .190 this spring (4-21).

CF as a position is looking for someone to step up. Copeland had a down week, Marrero was a bit better. Roy Myers is 4-7 (.571) with a double so he may get a start real soon.

1B Bob Scholer is 3-14 (.214) this spring.

SP Joe Houge has an 8.10 ERA in 10 innings of work. His 19 hits allowed are a team high.

SP Walter Slattery has a 10.61 ERA in 9.1 innings of work.

GM’s Desk:
So after the second week of spring training it is time to trim the rosters. SP Joe Houge has been sent down to Columbus. He was set to start the season there anyway and his team high 19 hits against are enough for me to make this move now. I don’t want to ruin the young man’s confidence by keeping him around for the last two weeks of spring training. On his way to AA Worcester is Walter Slattery. Slattery was overmatched all spring and it is time to make a move on him as well. SP Jay Williams has given up 12 hits in 5.2 innings this spring so we are sending the 28 year old to Columbus as well. That will leave us with 18 pitchers still in camp. For the hitters, we are sending 1B Bob Waller down to Columbus after a 2-13 start. He just won’t be able to crack the lineup so why wait? I have to make some tough decisions about 2B this spring. I have a bunch of guys playing well and 2nd round pick Andy Bethel is not one of them. He has only had one hit all spring so we will send him down to AA Worcester to start the season. 3B Jim Chandler is not getting much playing time this spring and he still has options left so we are sending the journeyman to AAA for the time being. With Homer Krajewski winning the LF job I can’t see Chick Dyer getting any time in the next two weeks as we have better backup candidates right now. We are going to send Dyer to Columbus. RF Mike Cifelli is just 22 years old and is not ready to crack the lineup. With a bunch of RF’s in camp this is an easy decision to send him down to AA. With all of those moves we are still sitting at 28 position players in camp. I’m pretty comfortable with this number as we will do another round of cuts after this week of games. We have questions at both corner infield spots and in CF right now. Thankfully, we have some multi-positional players in camp that are performing well so we may be able to get creative as we fill out our final 23 man roster. From the pitching side of things it will be a big week for a couple of the callups as they will get one more shot at making the roster for opening day.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #46
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1929 Spring Training Week #3

Boston dropped a 14 inning game to the Dynamos to start the third week of spring training. Ernie Hendersdon pitched 4 scoreless innings but the rest of the staff left much to be desired in this game. Joe Richards hit a double and Ron Davis went deep in the loss. Easily the hottest pitcher in Minutemen camp this spring has been Verdo Burt who has a.79 ERA in 11.1 innings of work. In an effort to see if this was just a smokescreen the Minutemen decided to give him a start against St. Louis. Once again Burt was up to the task giving up 2 hits over 4 scoreless innings striking out 3 batters in the process. Burt’s ERA dropped to .59 for the spring. It is hard to think of another player that has made a stronger case for a spot in the rotation. CF candidate Roy Myers hit 3 doubles in the win. The Minutemen next won an offense slugfest against the Gothams where Carl Carr provided a double and Bob Scholer went deep. After a solid opening spring start, SP Joe Dorsainvil struggled in his next two as the Miners were able to edge out the Minutemen 5-3. Ron Davis and Al Diaz provided doubles for Boston. C prospect Bobby Gentry had a nice 3 hit performance and Jack Holland gave up a single earned in 4 innings of work as the Minutemen were able to beat the Keystones. In the April 6th game against Chicago SP Bill Jenkins looked great for the Minutemen by providing 4 shutout innings of work. Unfortunately, Ricardo Torres couldn’t retire a batter in the 5th and gave up 5 earned which would be enough for the Chiefs to gain the victory. In the final game of the week Washington needed 10 innings to edge the Minutemen 4-3. SP Dick Alexander looked good and RF Jake Duke went yard in the loss. With three weeks in the books we are starting to see some trends. Here is a further breakdown of the good and the bad.

Good:
RF Glenn Tweed continues to be one of the hottest hitters in camp. He is 13-33 (.394) with 5 extra base hits and has walked 6 times while only striking out once.

2B Carl Carr is 14-38 (.368) and leads the Minutemen in hits this season. He can also play 1B or 2B making him a very versatile option.

LF Homer Krajewski is 12-35 (.343) and has also walked more than he has struck out.

2B Frank Hutchinson is making a strong push for a spot on Boston’s final 23 man roster. Frank is 11-30 (.367) with 5 extra base hits.

C Joe Richards and 20 year old prospect Bobby Gentry have had nice springs. Richards is 11-32 (.344) and Gentry is 8-18 (.444). Future looks bright for the Minutemen behind the dish.

SP Verdo Burt in 15.2 innings pitch has an ERA of .59. Enough said.

SP Al Carroll had another strong week and is now second on the team in innings pitched and has an ERA of 2.45.

SP Jack Holland has also looked strong this spring with a 2.25 ERA in 12.0 innings of work.

Bad:
3B Charlie Barry’s average is slowly coming up but he still sits at .229 (8-35)

1B Bob Scholer still cannot figure it out and may lose his job for the time being as he is down to .148 (4-27) with his average for the spring.

Pitchers Ricardo Torres, Bugs Donna and Joe Dorsainvil all have struggled at various points this spring. All three of these guys have given up a combined 37 hits and 23 earned runs in 30.0 innings of work.

GM’s Desk:
The conclusion of week three is probably the busiest one in our camp. It is the day that we probably make the most roster moves and set things up for what we think things will look like going into the regular season. This is an exciting and often times difficult day in many respects because sometimes it isn’t a demotion a player is looking at, it is an outright release. Maybe the easiest way to do this is by position:

Pitchers:

RP Ricardo Torres will be sent to AAA Columbus as he has not been very good at getting batters out. As a stop gap guy I need him to actually plug some holes and that has been difficult for him this spring.

SP Bugs Donna will also be sent down to AAA Columbus. Donna may not be too far away but I think the start at AAA will be more beneficial for him in the long run.

SP Joe Dorsainvil will be sent down to AA Worcester for a few reasons. First and foremost he needs to work on his control and second it provides some depth at a thin spot in Worcester.

SP Art Horst will be joining Dorsainvil in Worcester to start the season. Horst was one of the players we picked up in the McLane deal with Detroit and he hasn’t been terrible in camp. However, it is a numbers game and we feel he needs a bit more seasoning.

SP Ken Murphy is 35 years old and did not look all that well last year in Boston. We will temporarily be sending him to AAA but we may be looking at an outright release here. We just want to get through our final week of spring training before we start handing out walking papers.

With those moves that puts us down to 13 pitchers for the final week of spring training. I think I have a strong idea of what the rotation is going to look like but these last 5 spring games will help me cement the decisions.

Batters:

2B Bob Becker will report to AAA Columbus. In his limited time this spring Becker did well. The issue is with Carl Carr and Frank Hutchinson making the club I really can’t carry another 2B player. I will be running into the same issue with Tom Tucker and Frank Todd as I can’t keep both of them on the final roster. I’m going to let the week play out though before I make that decision.

SS Earl Michael will be sent to AA Worcester. Michael is one of our top prospects and this camp was simply to get his feet wet.

SS Hal Adamson is another one of our higher end prospects that I was frankly hoping to see more out of. He did not have a great spring and this was an easy choice to send him to Columbus.

3B Jim Ely was placed on waivers. He has had a brutal spring and we are pretty sure he will clear waivers and report to Columbus. If another club wants to put a claim on him we will deal with it then.

RF Les Galloway will be sent to AAA as we just have a ton of Rf players in camp. We have to trim this number down. Galloway was simply not getting any time in the lineup.

RF Chris Keller will be sent to AA Worcester for the same reasons we sent Galloway to Columbus.

RF John Sabree will be sent to AAA as he only appeared in a few at-bats this spring. He may be a candidate for outright release in a week.

LF Al Diaz played well in his limited time this spring but the job is Homer Krajewski’s. I also have better 4th outfield options at this point.

With those moves we sit at 20 position players left for the last week of spring action. Overall, we are at 33 players still in camp. I was hoping to get that number down a bit more but I want to make certain we have the best 23 heading into the new season.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #47
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

1929 Spring Training Week #4 and Roster Decisions

In the final week of spring training the 1B Bob Scholer hit a 2 run homer in the 8th to power the Minutemen to a 4-2 win over the Dynamos. The next day against St. Louis Orrie Goodwin pitched 4 shutout innings to win his second game of the spring as the Minutemen hammered out 13 hits in a 9-1 win. Roy Myers had a home run and 3 RBI’s raising his spring average to .588. Joe Richards provided a 9th inning home run against the Gothams but it was not enough as SP Gerald Samuelsson and Phil Sunshine were hit around some in the loss. Bad pitching and worse defense allowed the Miners to put a thumping on the Minutemen in a bad 11-5 loss. Then in the final game of the spring season, Alfred Cass provided a clutch 10th inning single to send the Minutemen home winners. The Minutemen finished with a 13-11 record this spring and are looking forward to kicking off the 1929 season on the road at Philadelphia and Washington.

GM’s Desk:
There really isn’t any point in listing positives and negatives separately at this point. We need to make 10 decisions to get the roster down to 23 and then make more decisions to get out AAA and AA rosters to fall within roster limits as well. Couple takeaways from Spring Training in general. I liked how the team competed everyday. We had some fierce camp battles that will just make the team better going forward and we escaped without a single major injury. There are not a lot of teams in the FABL that can say that right now. So now to explain our decisions.

Pitchers:

SP Orie Goodwin will be sent down to AA for the time being. I may drop him to AA. Goodwin has given up twice as many walks as hits this spring so we want to send him down to work on his control.

SP Ray Allen who was last seasons feel good story will also be moved to AAA. As much as we liked Allen other guys simply stepped up this spring. Hopefully, Allen can get his control under control and work his way back.

SP Howdy Bowman will be sent down to AAA. This one comes as a bit of a shock but Bowman who had spent a good portion of last year on the DL has looked very sluggish this spring. So we are hoping a start in AAA will help.

SP Phil Sunshine is the other surprise move as we are sending him down to AAA to begin the season. Sunshine started 1928 as a member of the starting rotation but soon lost his role and then struggled in the bullpen. He has not had a great spring so he will be given an opportunity in Columbus.

That is all the moves we will make with the pitching staff. We have decided to carry 9 pitchers going into the season. I feel there is a trend among the league to keep a 9th pitcher as opposed to an extra hitter that rarely sees time on a crowded bench.

Batters:

C Bobby Gentry will start the year in AAA. He is easily the 2nd best catcher in our organization and may soon be the best catcher in our organization. However, Richards still has the edge and I do not want a 20 year old prospect sitting on the bench in a reserve role when they can be a starter in AAA. We were very impressed with him though and are excited about his future.

1B Tom Tucker who has spent the past three seasons on the Boston bench will be sent to AAA. WIth both Hutchinson and Carr making the team I certainly do not need a 4th option at 1B.

2B Frank Todd will be the victim of a tough move. Todd had a nice spring and has enough talent to make this roster. It really came down to him and Cash. Cash is out of options and this move allows me to keep both in the organization. It gives up depth in case of injuries. I guess you would call it a baseball move. Anyway, Todd will begin the season in Columbus.

3B Ed Wise will be sent to AAA for the time being. Wise was our backup 3B last season but Joe Cash who is out of options, is a switch hitter and had a better spring will get the job as backup to Barry.

CF Roy Myers had a great camp but we still have some questions about the glove. He is also limited in that he is really only considered a CF. That makes it tough for him to make the roster as we like guys that have a bit more flexibility in the backup role. So we sent Myers down to AAA.

RF Ron Davis had a great camp and I really tried to find a way to keep him on the roster. The only thing that held me back was the fact that we still have some questions about his glove. He will get a chance to prove himself at AAA.

So that covers it. We are down to 23 on the Minutemen roster. Here is a quick breakdown of what we will feature going into Philadelphia to begin the season.

23 Man Boston Roster

SP R Verdo Burt
SP L Jack Holland
SP R Bill Jenkins
SP L Al Carroll
SP R Ernie Henderson

SP/RP R Dick Alexander (6th man/spot guy for now)

RP R Gerald Samuelsson
RP L Dode Jefferis
ST R Wilbur Larame
Congratulations are in order to Al Carrol and Gerald Samuelsson for making the club and being placed on the 40 man roster.

C R Joe Richards
C R Alfred Cass

Richards is the incumbent. Cass the backup. Gentry is salivating in the wings at AAA.

1B R Bob Scholer

2B S Carl Carr
2B R Frank Hutchinson

Both Carr and Hutch can play first so this is really a three man rotation on the right side of the field.

3B R Charlie Barry
3B S Joe Cash

Cash can be a situational hitter off the bench as he can swing from both sides of the dish.

SS L Carl Milam
SS R Buddy Lane

This may turn into a platoon situation.

LF R Homer Krajewski

CF R Dick Copeland
CF R Junior Marrero

RF Glenn Tweed
RF Jake Duke

Duke will back up Tweed to start the season. Marrero will backup both left and center.

AAA/AA Roster cuts

Now looking at our AAA roster we will make the following moves to get down to a workable number.

C Jack Hedglin will be released. Time has caught up to the 32 year old lifelong minor leaguer.

1B Curt Cantrell will be released. The 35 year old veteran has played 652 games in the FABL but not a single one of those have come in the last five seasons.

1B John Barker never was able to catch the break he may have needed. At 29 he was still sitting in AA. He will be released.

2B Bob Becker will be released. He just can’t seem to get it together with the glove and I am stockpiled at the position.

3B Jim Chandler manned the hot corner in Boston for 8 seasons and has a career .304 FABL average. He struggled at the plate and with the glove last season in Denver. (former AAA) With other younger options available we are going to grant Chandler his release.

SS Walter Simon was nothing more than minor league depth at 33 years of age. We have other guys that can fill that role. He will be released.

LF Al Diaz is going to be released because we simply can’t put him in the field. He can swing the bat okay but the glove is not there and to have him in the lineup for his bat only is taking away from other prospects that need that development time.

LF Ed Bedford has never made it to the show at the age of 30. He can only play LF as he is a horrible CF. We simply do not have room for that type of player. He will be released.

RF John Sabree never found a spot in our organization so this release was an easy call.

RF Clyde Tyler is a 32 year old vet that has run into a numbers game here. We have younger options and he is too old to play in AA.

RP Dom Bennett is 35 years old and has no chance of making it to Boston. We will tender his release.

RF Ralph McCullom hit really well in AA. Problem is he is 32 years of age. We are going to move on from him and grant his release.

RF Les Galloway will be looking for work. We didn’t like the glove and did not think it would develop any further.

RF Chris Keller couldn’t hit or field last season in AAA. We are just going to release him now instead of playing the wait and see game.

SP Ken Murphy was a part of the Boston pen last year. He didn’t have the best of springs and lost his job. He is too old to be languishing in the minors so we will release him.

SP John Brown had a rough ‘28 and we can’t ever envision him regaining his control. He will be released.

SP Mike Clark also had a rough year in AAA and we cannot see him in our future plans.

SP Charlie Tocco is not seen as someone who will ever pitch for Boston at 31 years of age. He will be released.

And that should cover it. Of the 18 players we released it will clear up 8 roster spots on our 40 man. This will allow us to protect some new players or make some moves to add veteran talent through trade or free agency.

Last edited by Hrycaj; 12-20-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #48
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Test Post

Test
Attached Images

Last edited by Hrycaj; 12-21-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #49
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Minutemen Minute Volume 1

The real first Volume. 4.15.29
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Hrycaj; 12-24-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #50
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Minutemen Minute Volume 2

Volume 2 : April 22nd, 1929
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 12-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #51
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Minutemen Minute Volume 3

Volume 3 4/29/1929. Sorry for the formatting today. Will be better Monday!
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Old 12-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #52
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Minutemen Minute Volume 4

Volume 4 5/6/1929
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Hrycaj; 12-30-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #53
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Minutemen Minute Volume 5

Volume 5 5/13/1929
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 01-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #54
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Minutemen Minute Volume 6

Volume 6
Attached Images

Last edited by Hrycaj; 01-03-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #55
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Minutemen Minute Volume 7

Volume 7
Attached Images
Image Image 

Old 01-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #56
Hrycaj