Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:52 AM   #41
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Dola,

I'm glad the Rox signed Arenado to that long-term deal. Not that I care about the Rockies, but between this and Machado going to the Padres, hopefully this will put to bed once and for all any talk of trading and/or moving Miguel Andjuar.

All this kid has done since being called up from the minors is produce, and produce BIG at that. Apart from him wrongfully not winning (IMO) the ROTY Award, it greatly offended my sense of justice that he was essentially talked about in the media and elsewhere this winter like he was an expendable commodity at best, and an overachieving, defensive liability at worst.

Andujar is a keeper, and I'm confident that he will only get better defensively at third.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:20 AM   #42
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yanks giving Hicks a 7-year extension has got to be a sign of something. Boone called him "maybe the most underrated player in the game" but 7 years at age 29? It looks like Cashman is using the cash, man, that he saved on not splurging on Machado and Harper to shore up what he's got. I can't say that I disagree, even though the length of the contract has me a bit concerned. At least it's not 10 years.

They just signed Severino to a four-year deal at the same $10 million a year (I would have swapped the contract durations for these two players) and the article that I read speculated that the Yankees would look to be doing the same with Gregorius and maybe even Judge and Sanchez; i.e., signing them to good contracts before they even get out of arbitration, much less into free agency.

Looks like they think they have a good, young team on their hands and they want to lock it in rather than gamble on outsiders. If so, I like this idea.
Well, he's a late bloomer who's just coming into his own. Perhaps that will extend his peak window, so you won't have to worry about the back end of the deal too much. He can contribute to the team in so many ways. I think he's really found something at a later than normal stage of his career. He broke out at age 27, with great on base skills, tremendous power, above average baserunning, above average defense, and an absolute hose for an arm. If you were to ask me, I'd say a reasonable comp is Jose Bautista. Jose was a much, much better hitter, but Hicks has other attributes that bring him closeish to Jose. I would say at their best, in their primes, Jose's definitely the better player, but Hicks keeps himself in spitting distance with the more well rounded game.

Both were late bloomers. Jose's breakout started in the final month of his age 28 season, and lasted all the way through his age 34 season. That's sevenish seasons if you're counting, which is the same length as Hicks' contract. You can't beat the price for what Hicks brings to the table, so the team should be really happy, and Hicks must be over the moon to get such life changing money when it looked like he was destined to become a washout who had teased the Twins with what must've been massive potential.

Yep, he was highly thought of alright...Baseball America had him at #39 heading into 2009, #19 heading into 2010, #45 heading into 2011, and #72 heading into 2013. He was on those lists a long time, which speaks to how highly he was regarded, but also to how close he came to being a washout. You don't want to spend too much time on those lists because it means you're stalling out/not getting where you want to go. A guy who plays for his former team, Byron Buxton, is a much more extreme example of this as he was #10, #1, #2, and #2 heading into 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. Buxton has sooo much raw talent, and is only 25 this year, but you have to wonder if he's ever going to fulfill his potential, which is absolutely unlimited.

As for Boone's comment, I'm really leery of the whole such and such is the best/most whatever in the game. Hicks is definitely one of the most underrated position players in the game, but Anthony Rendon is far more underrated, and possibly the most underrated position player in all of baseball. You never hear word one about him and despite being quite the studly player, he's never been to an All-Star Game, which to me is ridiculous. He should've been to at least two and possibly three by now, but...nothing. Not a peep. He's been top 6 in MVP voting twice and was number 11 once, but no All-Star Game for him. It's a traveshamockery really.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-27-2019 at 02:33 AM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #43
Andy
Hall Of Famer

One of the guys at MLB Trade Rumors made a good point about the Hicks extension. He thought the $10 mil a year is very cheap for Hicks and all that really matters is they get $70 mil worth of value, whether it's over 4 years or 7 years. Basically, he thinks Hicks is worth the $70 mil even if he may not be productive over the full 7 years. If he ends up tanking and they have to release him, it's only a $10 mil against the luxury tax cap.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #44
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

You guys make interesting points. Thanks.

EDIT: Capo, big thumbs up on your opinion of Andujar. I've been on pins and needles this winter, waiting for the boom to be lowered on him and he's still here with us! I have a feeling that in a few years, we are going to be looking back and shaking our heads that we ever, ever were talking about the possibility of him being traded.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-27-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #45
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Well, well, well. Guess who's looking all revitalized and ready to take on the world and six other galaxies to boot....Greg Bird.

He did this a couple of years ago, remember? He looked like Babe Ruth in ST only to hit like Ruth Buzzi when the season started. I'm tired of Bird giving us tantalizing glimpses of the monster slugger he could be if only his Jupiter would finally align with his Mars.

That said, the prospect of having him finally fulfill some of his vast potential and emerge as that big lefty bat the lineup needs is oh so tempting. And no, I'm not forgetting about Luke Voigt. So far this spring he appears to be gearing up to pick up right where he left off last year, which bodes well for both Voigt and the Yanks.

It's not as if Boone has any other viable options at first. A Bird/Voigt platoon at first has the potential to produce 30-40 hr & 100+ RBI. It also has the potential to be the lightest hitting Yankee 1B tag-team since a washed-up Bob Watson and a Never-Was Dave Revering combined to hit an anemic .206 w/ 10 hrs & a .294 OBP in the strike year of 1981.

I guess we'll see.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #46
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Tulowitzki is playing well but that was never an issue with him. Just his health.

EDIT: This duel between Bird and Voight is interesting, but again, health is the key particularly for Bird. If he so much as stubs his toe this spring training, he is done.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 03-03-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #47
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tulowitzki is playing well but that was never an issue with him. Just his health.

EDIT: This duel between Bird and Voight is interesting, but again, health is the key particularly for Bird. If he so much as stubs his toe this spring training, he is done.
Just don't let him handle his own luggage...He could get a season ending bout of "Samsonitis".

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Old 03-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #48
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Yanks are shutting down Luis Severino for two weeks due to rotator cuff inflammation. He will likely miss Opening Day.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ss-opening-day

The headline here should read: USS NY Yankees scrapes Iceberg. Slow sinking possible.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #49
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
The headline here should read: USS NY Yankees scrapes Iceberg. Slow sinking possible.
Heh, that reminded me of Michael Ray Richardson: "The ship be sinking." (Context: the collapse of the NY Knicks 1981-1982 season. News to Michael Ray: The ship still be sunk all these years later, but that's another thread. )

Well, let's hope that it's not serious because of this batch of possible replacements, I do not have high confidence: Luis Cessa, Jonathan Loaisiga and Domingo German. Every one of them had an ERA over 5.00 last season.

- Bru

Old 03-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #50
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I was ready to take umbrage at Sonny Gray blaming his bad performance in pinstripes to the "the organization pushed him to throw a slider far more often than he wanted to" but then I rethought a bit.

I read this:
Quote:
According to Brooksbaseball.net, Gray threw his sinker 29.86 percent of the time last season, followed by his four-seamer (25.77 percent), curveball (23.68) and slider (15.89). In 2017, it went sinker (33.34 percent), four-seamer (30.01), slider (15.27) and curveball (14.54). In 2015 with Oakland, a year Gray went 14-7 with a 2.73 ERA and finished third in AL Cy Young voting, the righthander threw his four-seamer 36.49 percent of the time, followed by his sinker (23.83), slider (16.69) and curveball (13.66).
That's quite a shift and, assuming that his assertion is true that management was messing with his pitching repertoire, may indeed explain, somewhat, why he fell down in New York. But speaking of that, I also remember reading that he was much better away from New York than in Yankee Stadium, which may point to a more pressing reason for his futility.

EDIT: Uh, no. I misread that quote and I needed to lay out the numbers to keep them straight:

Name:  Image0212.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  51.0 KB

I'm a bit concerned that the percentages don't add up to 100%; what was the rest, knuckleball or eephus?

But assume that the numbers are correct for his slider, going across. That would indicate the guy is full of crap. The other reason comes to fore as a result: He couldn't take the pressure of playing in NYC.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 03-06-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #51
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh, that reminded me of Michael Ray Richardson: "The ship be sinking." (Context: the collapse of the NY Knicks 1981-1982 season. News to Michael Ray: The ship still be sunk all these years later, but that's another thread. )

Well, let's hope that it's not serious because of this batch of possible replacements, I do not have high confidence: Luis Cessa, Jonathan Loaisiga and Domingo German. Every one of them had an ERA over 5.00 last season.
For me it reminded me of Shea Hillenbrand with the Blue Jays in 2006. I don't condone managers fighting with their players, but I loved Gibby challenging him to a fight in this instance. Their is no excuse for that, joking or not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/21/s...ays.ready.html

Old 03-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #52
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was ready to take umbrage at Sonny Gray blaming his bad performance in pinstripes to the "the organization pushed him to throw a slider far more often than he wanted to" but then I rethought a bit.

I read this:

That's quite a shift and, assuming that his assertion is true that management was messing with his pitching repertoire, may indeed explain, somewhat, why he fell down in New York. But speaking of that, I also remember reading that he was much better away from New York than in Yankee Stadium, which may point to a more pressing reason for his futility.

EDIT: Uh, no. I misread that quote and I needed to lay out the numbers to keep them straight:

Attachment 608597

I'm a bit concerned that the percentages don't add up to 100%; what was the rest, knuckleball or eephus?

But assume that the numbers are correct for his slider, going across. That would indicate the guy is full of crap. The other reason comes to fore as a result: He couldn't take the pressure of playing in NYC.
The stats you are referring to missed the changeups that he threw, which amounted to 4.7% of his pitches, which brings your percentages up to 99.9%, which is pretty good. It's 100% under the heading "Pitch Type" and 99.9% under the heading "Pitch Info Pitch Type" according to this page:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...768&position=P

Do not ask me why all the percentages seem to be different under the two headings because I have no earthly idea.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #53
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:

My bet would be the remainder are comprised of all the BP fastballs he threw that ended up as inadvertent participants in our space program.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #54
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
My bet would be the remainder are comprised of all the BP fastballs he threw that ended up as inadvertent participants in our space program.
Heh, now that he's pitching for Cincinnati, watch him win Cy Young this year!

- Bru

Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #55
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

And no, I don't think the Yankees go after Dallas Keuchel or Gio Gonzalez in this situation. In a panic, they are going to pay top dollar for either of those guys and, barring injury, they are going to be stuck with sending CC to the bullpen or going with six starters.

Instead, why not hand the ball to those aforementioned (and doubted) three: Luis Cessa, Jonathan Loaisiga and Domingo German? If one of them is any good, now is the time to show it. Cessa and German are not spring chickens - all the more reason to step up now - and Loaisiga seems to have more talent than the other two.

EDIT: Here's another interesting prospect that I just read about. "Boone said that on 'certain occasions,' the Yankees would consider using an 'opener' to start games this season." Considering how stacked their bullpen is now, that certainly seems to be an option.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 03-07-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #56
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
For me it reminded me of Shea Hillenbrand with the Blue Jays in 2006. I don't condone managers fighting with their players, but I loved Gibby challenging him to a fight in this instance. Their is no excuse for that, joking or not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/21/s...ays.ready.html
Interesting story, thanks for posting it. I decided to do some followup research, as follows:

Two days after being DFA'd by the Jays, Shea Hillenbrand was traded to the Giants. That winter, he signed a one-year contract with the Angels. Apparently a bit short in common sense, he proceeded to burn his bridges there as well, saying, "If I'm not going to play here, give me enough respect to trade me or get rid of me." The Angels cut him as well.

He went to the minor leagues, batting .147 for the Padres AAA team before being released. He moved to the Dodgers farm system, was called up for 20 games at the end of 2007, and that was that for Mr. Hillebrand's MLB career. Washed up and unemployable a year and a half after writing "This is a sinking ship. Play for your paycheck" on the Blue Jays clubhouse whiteboard.

And being challenged by John Gibbons. Mr. Gibbons went on to manage two more seasons with the Jays, was fired after 2008, but was re-hired by them for another six seasons starting in 2013 and ending just this past year. At only age 56 and a seasoned manager who "managed" to eke out a .501 W-L record in 1,582 games with the Blue Jays, I'd say there is a good chance that we will see John Gibbons in a MLB uniform again someday.

He certainly doesn't take any crap from today's prima donna players, that's for sure. Check out the section titled "Controversy with players" in Mr. Gibbons' Wikipedia article. In every one of those incidents, I would back him up 100%.

- Bru

Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #57
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Stephen Tarpley looks like the real deal. I hope he makes the club. Yanks need a another quality lefty behind Britton. Kahnle's been pretty dominant as well this spring. Fastball back in the upper-90s. That bullpen is already loaded, but you can never have enough weapons.

On the downside, Gary Sanchez looks as lost both at the plate and behind it as he did last year. 2018 is definitely not the kind of year the Yanks want to see Sanchez give a Part 2: Electric Boogaloo performance to. It raises the question of how deep the reservoir of patience is with Sanchez. If he has a another stinker of a season, I guess we'll find out.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #58
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And no, I don't think the Yankees go after Dallas Keuchel or Gio Gonzalez in this situation. In a panic, they are going to pay top dollar for either of those guys and, barring injury, they are going to be stuck with sending CC to the bullpen or going with six starters.

Instead, why not hand the ball to those aforementioned (and doubted) three: Luis Cessa, Jonathan Loaisiga and Domingo German? If one of them is any good, now is the time to show it. Cessa and German are not spring chickens - all the more reason to step up now - and Loaisiga seems to have more talent than the other two.

EDIT: Here's another interesting prospect that I just read about. "Boone said that on 'certain occasions,' the Yankees would consider using an 'opener' to start games this season." Considering how stacked their bullpen is now, that certainly seems to be an option.
The Yankees started an opener in front of Cessa the other day. Cessa isn't going nine anyway, so why should we care whether he pitches innings 1-5 or 2-6? Innings 2-6 do have the advantage of letting him start out against the bottom of the lineup.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #59
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Apropos of nothing, I suppose, I'll go on record here and state that I like the recent trade the Yanks made (Diehl for Tauchman). Diehl looked great this spring, but with Hicks playing his annual gig on the IL, the Yanks needed depth in the OF. In addition, Tauchman kinda has the same late bloomer vibe about him that Luke Voigt had last year. He's a big, strong, very athletic outfielder who really came into his own last year at AAA. He's seemingly trending upwards.

That said, it's tough not to feel a little bad for Tyler Wade. He had an excellent spring and certainly played well enough to make the club. Barring the injury to Hicks, he probably does make the club. Wade is highly versatile, but he's more of a utility infielder than outfielder. He's just not what the Yanks need right now as they head north. Of course, that will certainly change as the season progresses.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #60
Caporegime
All Star Starter

LOL! I almost forgot why I wandered in here. Let's have some predictions here!

I'm really concerned about Severino's health right now, but, overall, I'm really feeling optimistic about Yanks this season. I don't know if they can reach 100 wins again, but 96-98 wins is definitely doable. Therefore, I'll go with:

97-65

Whether or not the Red Sox come back down to earth is another matter. I think they will. It'll be a tight squeeze, but I'll take the Yanks to win their division with those 97 handshakes.