Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #21
FatJack
All Star Reserve

He's baaaack

Look who's back in the Vault drop, today. I apologize, but who did we determine this was?

Update: OK, I found it. Donald Johnson. You know, its hard to do a site search for a guy when you don't remember the name. Believe it or not, I found it by searching for Carl Morton.
Attached Images

Last edited by FatJack; 04-05-2017 at 06:16 PM.
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #22
Rainmaker
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
O-o-o-o. A Sievers mystery!

Very nice, comprehensive job of finding available Sievers images. And, as a result, you've opened up a big, fat can of worms.

I have downloaded every Vault holder that Baseball Birthdays once posted on his site, and have kept pace with the new releases. I do NOT have a Vault Folder with the Reds coaching Sievers images. In fact, Bob Wong once posted an array of custom card coaches, and he, too, included a Sievers photo you have not listed.

Your Vault checklist was missing only two things I had:

BA 963 Phillies
KE 268 Senators (no hat)
If ANYONE has a Vault number on any photo of Sievers as a Reds coach, please post.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:27 PM   #23
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Leave it to Sievers...

OK. As I threatened...uh, I mean promised...yesterday, I checked out my Mets yearbooks for Sievers sightings. It's fairly commonplace for teams to have their minor league skippers in camp for spring training.

He's not in the '68 book, but he is in '67. '67 was a weird year for the Mets. We used more different players that year than any other year of the team's existence. This also led to lots of yearbook variations. Other seasons had variations, too (far fewer after '67 and, at some point they more or less stopped changing the yearbook unless the manager was fired or the cover subject was traded; in recent years, no updates at all). But, with those variations, the differences are a player here or a player there. With '67, it's like a whole different yearbook. I have the original yearbook and the 2nd revised (Red). I do not have the first revised (black) and I don't know if there was a final revised or not.

So Roy Sievers is in the team photo in the original yearbook. In the 2nd revised, Roy's not in the team photo, but he is included in a B&W picture of the minor league managers that was not in the original yearbook (on the same page as new acquisition Indian Bob Johnson, btw). They are attached for my...er, your amusement. You click on that B&W and you'll find it's a pretty good sized image. The color image is what it is (you know how team photos are, but at least he was in the front row).
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #24
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Bob Cerv it was announced has passed RIP

http://www.omaha.com/sports/local-sp...16c4830f5.html
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
SPORTSMEM817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #25
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

JACK FASZHOLZ Ex Cardinal passed away RIP

http://concordiatheology.org/2017/03...jack-faszholz/

Photos came from Lexi Files
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-08-2017, 01:15 AM   #26
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMEM817 View Post
Interesting fellow. Studied the ministry while playing the game. Nice write-up on that point at Baseball-Almanac. Better still, Jack was inducted into the Concordia University Texas Athletics Hall of Fame in 2015, and there's a nice little video on YouTube with and about him from the ceremony (and featuring the late Bob Lemke's custom card, which is also very cool...not withstanding the eBay creep who sells a cheap knockoff of Bob's work).
Attached Images
Old 04-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #27
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Roy Sievers - Colorization & Custom

I wasn't planning on doing any tribute cards this year. But I'm as fascinated with the Browns as I am with the Pilots. And, if you've noticed, a lot of former Browns have been passing this year.

Found this image at something called The National Pastime Museum. The card design I came up with is a bit derivative of '67 Topps. I've been using logos, rather than team names, the past several years and wanted a different look. As I often do, sadly, I came up with a design that requires considerable space at the top of the image. Thus, I had to "expand" the sky portion. Designing my own templates has given me a greater appreciation of the poor suckers at Topps who are tasked with designing cards (leaving aside recent efforts of theirs that do nothing at all for me). Me, I'll be looking at and working with a photo and come up with a nice design for that image. But I never take into account that the design has to work for lots of different images--not just the one you start with. Oh, well, whatever. Not your problem. The printed card, btw, looks more like the colorization than the somewhat blurry screen capture of it shown here.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 04-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #28
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Bill Reidy 1896 colorized

Saw this photo on the below link posted by cinemaodyssey an decided to colorize it. Bill Reidy 1896

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...1&d=1491713670
Attached Images

Last edited by SPORTSMEM817; 04-09-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #29
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Bobby Doerr Turns 99

Bobby Doerr, the longest living Hall Of Famer in history, turned 99 the day before yesterday (Friday, April 7). He is also the last survivor among a couple of thousand players who played major league baseball in the 1930s.
His entire career was as a Boston Red Sox second baseman from 1937 to 1951, except for two years of military service during World War Two.

Last edited by dennis_keith; 04-10-2017 at 01:31 AM.
dennis_keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #30
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Heinz Becker Chicago Cubs colorized

Heinz Becker Chicago Cubs photo from Lexi Files
Attached Images
Old 04-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #31
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Al Papai Boston Red Sox Colorized

Photo was a black and white photo that was offered on ebay years ago
Attached Images
Old 04-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #32
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Dale Hendrickson Minor League Player colorized

This is a Colorized photo of a B%W found in the Lexi Files
Attached Images
Old 04-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #33
oldtimers
Minors (Single A)

Some nice Colors
oldtimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #34
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Billy Holm Colorized from Lexi files

Billy Holm of the 1945 Boston Red Sox
Attached Images
Old 04-13-2017, 10:17 PM   #35
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Arndt Jorgens Yankees colorized

Here is a photo that was on ebay several years ago it is a black and white image converted to color of Arndt Jorgens
Attached Images
Old 04-14-2017, 03:56 AM   #36
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Junior Ortiz 1982

There were a couple of excellent Junior Ortiz Mets images in Thursdays Vault release, so I'd guess this a bit superfluous, but the Mets won that endless extra inning game last night with a homer from d"Arnaud in the 16th (which was doubly sweet as he's on my fantasy team) so I'm feeling a tad euphoric.

This is from a Mets lot I purchased a few years back. The more scarce players were posted to Baseball-Birthdays, but I did not post the Junior. Ready for the rim-shots?

Junior Ortiz was a colorful guy...probably born to be a Met. I mean, he was no Choo Choo Coleman, but he could be pretty funny. For example, Junior spoke little English so he'd do crossword puzzles to help learn the language. In the clubhouse, one day, he looks up and asks Tom Seaver for a 4-letter word for "clenched hand". Seaver holds up his fist. "Junior, think about this." Junior looks at the fist with a bit of a quizzical expression. "Pitchout?"

Junior, while with the Twins, once changed his name to "Joe" for a couple of weeks, then changed it back. In his first game back as Junior, he scored 3 runs on 2 hits and a walk. He says, "Joe is gone, now. He stinks. He couldn't hit a foul ball. Junior's a jerk, but at least he can play."

Rickey Henderson broke the career stolen base record when Junior was catching. He was asked if it bothered him to be the catcher who gave up the record breaking stolen base. "No, he's stolen lots of bases on good catchers, too."

Last one. Junior named his son Junior Ortiz, Jr. They call him "Junior, Jr."
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #37
SPORTSMEM817
All Star Reserve

Mark Douglas Higgins Passed Away

Mark had a brief stint with the Cleveland Indians in 1989. RIP

http://www.billheadfuneralhome.com/notices/Mark-Higgins
Attached Images
Old 04-15-2017, 03:12 AM   #38
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Vic Barnhart (1922 - 2017)

Vic Barnhart, a war time infielder for the Pirates, passed away Thursday (April 13, 2017). He was 94.

Vic was a second generation major leaguer, his father Clyde having played for the Pirates through the twenties. Signed by Pittsburgh before the 1940 season, Vic was known to be a smooth fielding shortstop with soft hands, as well as a contact hitter with some light doubles power. He put in 3 solid seasons in the minors, then spent 1943 in the military.

In 1944, Vic hit .310 for Albany, earning him a call-up to the majors very late in the season. He saw action in just one game that year, and came away with a hit and a walk in his 3 plate appearances. Vic spent the entirety of 1945 with the varsity, backing up Frankie Gustine at short. He held his own, batting .269 on the season (Gustine hit .280). In 1946, Who's Who in Baseball had this to say about Barnhart: "[Vic] did not hit so well last season, but is regarded favorably as a possibility for a regular station. He has fine hands and is a great thrower." He did, indeed, head north with Pittsburgh, but only got into 2 games and was 0 for 1 at the plate before the Pirates sent him back to the minors, never to return again.

After the 1947 season, Vic was out of options and the club chose not to keep him on the 40-man squad. By the rules of the day, he had to be traded or sold and Pittsburgh was hot for Dodgers prospect Monte Basgall, so a trade was arranged. The Montreal farm club told Vic he'd get to play third base, which Vic thought would set him up well to get back to The Show as Billy Cox was a natural shortstop and, behind him, the Dodgers weren't especially deep at the hot corner. Spring Training came and went and Vic not only wasn't playing third, he wasn't playing, period. If they had done such things in those days, its likely Vic's picture would have been on a milk carton in his hometown of Hagerstown by mid-May. On the 16th of May, Vic was traded to Toronto. So much for getting back to the majors as the Dodgers third baseman, but at least he got to play third base for the Maple Leafs.

After the 1951 season, Vic decided he was tired of kicking around the low minors and hung up his spikes. In his 10 minor league seasons, he had played in 1047 games, hitting roughly .290. Vic would go on to work as the Athletic Director for the Maryland Correction Institute until he retired.

The first image appears to be the one in the facepack, but this is the large full image from Mears Auctions which does not seem to be featured elsewhere on the site. The photo was auctioned at least twice (2010 and 2011), receiving no bids either time. The other image is from a current auction on eBay. I've cropped and grey-scaled both images. There's also an image posted by Bearman14 several years back. FYI, in Bearman14's post, the guy on the right is Vic; the one on the left is his father, Clyde.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #39
bru
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Houston Colt .45s - Original Traveling Suits

Thought I'd dip my toes in the waters. I was able to find this photo in the UH Archives - and get a hi-res version thanks to my recent grad student status, and thought the people here might appreciate it. This image is from the George Kinsey papers, Kinsey being one of the principal men involved in bringing major league ball to Houston.

As part of Judge Roy Hofheinz desires, the team was originally made to travel in these (blue I believe) suits and cowboy hats. From what I've heard/read, many of the guys on the team hated these and they didn't last too long.

Across the front we've got: Harry Craft, Norm Larker, Dick "Turk" Farrell, and Bob Aspromonte. Check out the baseball stitching along the shirts - you can see it well on Aspromonte. I'm guessing most of the players didn't want to wear it and just opted for a white shirt.

I've been able to pick out Al Spangler, Roman Mejias, Jim Golden, Dave Giusti, Ken Johnson, and I believe that's John Bateman tipping his hat near the top. Bobby Tiefenauer might be the guy on the right in the third row, and I could be wrong but I think that's Jim Umbricht between Larker and Farrell.

Last edited by bru; 04-16-2017 at 11:36 AM.
bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #40
dennis_keith
Minors (Triple A)

Dick "Turk" Farrell was a bit of a loose cannon and shouldn't even have been trusted with a fake Colt .45.
dennis_keith is offline   Reply With Quote