Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 01-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
sepia warrior
Major Leagues

Referee Ratings

Here are my referee ratings in a zipped file. There are 330 ratings. They include the officially rated referees although I may have added bias ratings to some. The rest are homegrown and purely subjective. If you don't know how to add to your game, see the first post in the Cornermen Ratings thread as the process for including these in your gameis exactly the same. If I get a chance over the weekend I'll post screens of the ratings.

referees.zip
sepia warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
dragon29
Minors (Triple A)

hi sepia warrior,

i just wanted to thank you for what you do for the game. your fighter ratings, now the referees, and especially your cornermen have added to my enjoyment of the game.

we've communicated through pm and email and i hope everything is going well for you. thanks, again, sepia warrior.
dragon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
bear
Global Moderator

Looking forward to the screen shots whenever you have the time to post them.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
sepia warrior
Major Leagues

I was working on some other things today. I'll try to add them before the big football games tomorrow
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
sepia warrior
Major Leagues

Here are the Referee screens. The listing is organized alphabetically by country. (Once pasted into your game. you can organize them by last name, first name, era or ratings)

Name:  Referee - Page01.JPG
Views: 1314
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  Referee - Page02.JPG
Views: 1272
Size:  142.5 KB

Name:  Referee - Page03.JPG
Views: 1235
Size:  142.2 KB

Name:  Referee - Page04.JPG
Views: 1068
Size:  141.9 KB

Name:  Referee - Page05.JPG
Views: 1107
Size:  142.2 KB

More to follow
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
sepia warrior
Major Leagues

Here is the second set of screens:

Name:  Referee - Page06.JPG
Views: 1091
Size:  142.9 KB

Name:  Referee - Page07.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  Referee - Page08.JPG
Views: 1086
Size:  147.6 KB

Name:  Referee - Page09.JPG
Views: 1077
Size:  147.2 KB

Name:  Referee - Page10.JPG
Views: 1109
Size:  147.4 KB

More to follow
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
sepia warrior
Major Leagues

Third set of screens:

Name:  Referee - Page11.JPG
Views: 1065
Size:  145.6 KB

Name:  Referee - Page12.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  Referee - Page13.JPG
Views: 1080
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  Referee - Page14.JPG
Views: 1027

Name:  Referee - Page15.JPG
Views: 1045
Size:  146.2 KB

The last to follow
Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
sepia warrior
Major Leagues

The last screenshot

Name:  Referee - Page16.JPG
Views: 1094
Size:  147.2 KB

Name:  Referee - Page17.JPG
Views: 1047

Name:  Referee - Page18.JPG
Views: 1151
Size:  122.0 KB
Old 01-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
dragon29
Minors (Triple A)

hi sepia warrior,

i was wondering if it would be possible to create a flie, like this one and the cornermen one, that would contain venues? i really enjoy this and the cornermen files and they've really added to my game. i am a bit weak in the venue, ring card girl, and announcer catagories.

i am ignorant of the tremendous work that goes into creating these files, but i feel fortunate in being able to enjoy them! thanks, again, for what you've created.
dragon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
sepia warrior
Major Leagues

Yes, it's possible to do that for each of them. I had planned to do judges next and then announcers. I hadn't thought about zipping my venues file but I'll look into that as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

good work

UTBA3
Hanson Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

These are great! Question, are the 'better' ratings low or high? It's hard to tell just by looking at the names - i.e. there are pretty famous refs who did huge fights rated both 5 and 20. Thanks for any help.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #13
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

I cannot get the zip to download, tried on both a Mac and a Windows VM. Says the target file is just 5.9 KB, which seems pretty small. All that I get when I open the zip is a referees.dat file.

Does anyone have a working copy of this file that can be posted? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Scruff; 06-14-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #14
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
I cannot get the zip to download, tried on both a Mac and a Windows VM. Says the target file is just 5.9 KB, which seems pretty small. All that I get when I open the zip is a referees.dat file.

Does anyone have a working copy of this file that can be posted? Thanks for any help.
Scruff
The referees.dat file was what was zipped. In version 2.5 we could replace various .dat files in the game. There are 17 of them.In this version the game back up files of these would be created for each game od uni youu were running. In 2013 they appear to reside in a subfile of the data file for the game

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #15
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Under Judgement I see a few rated over 20 with the highest about 25. What is the true impact of this number and what should be the top limit? I'm guessing that competency decreases as the number increases, but how is that reflected in the game action?

Cap
Old 01-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #16
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Under Judgement I see a few rated over 20 with the highest about 25. What is the true impact of this number and what should be the top limit? I'm guessing that competency decreases as the number increases, but how is that reflected in the game action?

Cap
Cap,

I just came across this post! The manual is pretty cryptic. Here's all it says:

Judgment: This category is based upon a percentage (1-100%), the lower the rating the better. The number placed in this category reflects the percentage of time that the referee will blow a call, be confused on the rules, be out of position, etc.

Of course, I have no idea what the hell this means with respect to how it impacts an actual bout.

I've always marveled at phenomena attendant to instruction manuals. They typically raise more questions than they answer!
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #17
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
Cap,

I just came across this post! The manual is pretty cryptic. Here's all it says:

Judgment: This category is based upon a percentage (1-100%), the lower the rating the better. The number placed in this category reflects the percentage of time that the referee will blow a call, be confused on the rules, be out of position, etc.

Of course, I have no idea what the hell this means with respect to how it impacts an actual bout.

I've always marveled at phenomena attendant to instruction manuals. They typically raise more questions than they answer!
well if anyone here follows hockey in game 6 of the stanley cup finals Nashville scored a goal but the ref's line of sight was blocked so he lost sight of the puck and blew the play dead after Nashville eventually scored. By the rules he did the right thing but he was out of position how this translates to boxing remember that one bout a few years back involving a title one boxer delivered a clear low blow getting the knockdown but the ref was out of position to see the low blow and counted the other boxer out which started a massive protest and even HBO Max Kellerman questioning the ref about it and showing a replay of what he missed. I think it was in Vegas...
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:34 PM   #18
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Ran across mention of this referee several times looking through papers for a couple 1940s fighters and decided to see what I could find about him. Some Info on actually is in BoxRec and I've put in his Bio. I've attached the TXT you can download and put into the Memo/RefereesNotes folder.Also found a couple photos in the paper. I seen a couple posted some time back in the Referee Photos thread.

Kennedy's settings I used....to say though I don't really understand these ratings a lot on how to apply.
Judgement: 5 skimming through articles he appeared to be a pretty well respected referee and well known and used in California.
Fouls: Strict, Again a little bit of looking through some fight accounts not so much record of handing out fouls but he did not hesitate to stop a fight for some reason.
Stoppage: Early, Seeing a number of early to mid round stoppages by Kennedy.

Rocco

Lt. Jack Kennedy - Referee 1920s - 1940s
From BoxRec:
Lt. Jack Kennedy
Nationality: US American
Birthplace: Allentown, PA
Birthdate: 1889
Residence: Los Angeles, CA
Died: 1948-06-17

Lt. John F (Jack) Kennedy was a boxing referee of the 1920s thru 1940s (BoxRec says only 1930s but there are newspaper articles on boxing matches in the 1940s he referee'd. BoxRec account says he was a lieutenant in the United States Navy. Some newspaper articles refer to him by Lt. Jack.A short death announcement found in the Santa Maria Times, CA on 6/18/48 said said Kennedy retired from the navy as a captain.Mentions he died in his home the day before of a heart ailment.

The BoxRec article on Kennedy notes he moved to Los Angeles in 1919 from Allentown, PA and he spent 37 years in the Navy.He reached the rank of Captain in the Navy.A short article announcing his death in the 6/18/48 edition of the Los Angeles Evening Citizen News, Hollywood, mentioned Kennedy started boxing in the 1920s while stationed at San Diego.

In the 12/8/47 edition of The Boston Globe, an article titled, "Boxing Biggest Mystery in Sports; Point System of Scoring Proves It", discussed as the title suggests. An insteresting part of that article, the article's author, Harold Kaese, discusses comments from Johnny Buckley, manager of boxer Red Priest who was beaten recently in a fight in Chicago, by a 52-48 score, saying that if rounds counted, Priest would have won. Buckley felt fighters should be allowed to know where they stood in a fight and Buckley mentions "he recalled a California referee, Jack Kennedy as an example." "Kennedy at the end of the eighth round would look at one fighter and hold up maybe five fingers, meaning he had won five rounds. He'd turn to the other and hold up three, meaning he had to win the last two rounds to have a chance."

Photos are from the 2/23/33 edition of the Reno Gazette-Journal and the Oakland Tribune at the end of the welterweight championship fight between Jackie Fields and Young Corbett III. The photo caption and the article in the paper place the referee as Jack Kennedy. The fight was in San Francisco. A pre-fight review in The Fresno Bee The Republican, Fresno, CA of the Corbett III vs Fields fight, mentions in it that the referee of the fight would be "Lieutenant Jack Kennedy, U.S.N." So confirming this photo is this Jack Kennedy.

The other photo form the 7/23/35 edition of The Sacramento Bee of Jack Kennedy when Kennedy was due to arrive in Sacramento to officiate a fight between Young Tommy and Pablo Dano.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: txt Kennedy_Jack.txt (2.5 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Rocco Del Sesto; 01-22-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:59 PM   #19
pilight
All Star Starter

I've been doing some ref ratings lately. Some current, some old, some really old. I'l try to post some soon.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #20
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
I've been doing some ref ratings lately. Some current, some old, some really old. I'l try to post some soon.
Please do & thanks!
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote