Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

What am I Missing?

I was excited that the new tactics suitability ratings would apply to my saved games. I finally would get a "grade" for testing my ability to apply the tactical system. The results? Not exactly an A+.

For example, my tactical scores using the Brooks system on offense have ranged from the mid 70's to low 80's the past couple of seasons. My suitability - 3 of 5 *'s. The AI thinks I should be using the Torpedo attack. That, however, yield scores from the mid 60's to low 70's.

The save that I checked my scores against is a 32-year career as coach/GM during which I've won 10 cups with four different teams. I have maxed out my tactics ratings and I always employ two extra assistants with high level tactics ratings. I guess I'll check my other saves, and then it's back to the drawing board. It seems it's time to dig a little deeper.

By the way, this is not a complaint, or a plea for help. In fact, it represents what I love about this game. To paraphrase, poorly, Michael Corleone, "Just when I think I'm (figuring it) out, they pull me back in."

As I said, not looking for an explanation, but I would accept a few vague hints. Also, it would be great to hear others' comments about tactics and strategies, now that we can see how we've been doing.

Way to go FHM team, you've outdone yourselves again!
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

The difference between suitability numbers can be pretty fine - it's just a relative ranking of all the tactics, then divided evenly into five groups. So it's entirely possible that the worst of the 5-rated ones isn't far behind the best of the 3-rated. If it's 3 stars and you're getting good tactical scores and winning with it, I'd stay with it.

Edit: And if your roster was missing people (major injuries, unsigned free agents, etc.) when you checked the tactics, that could significantly affect the suitability score.

Last edited by JeffR; 12-23-2017 at 11:07 AM.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Question

I was actually wondering about this as well.

I play with the Penguins and have won the Stanley cup, and in that season scored the most goals. I used Stretching the D/Half Ice Overload throughout. However, after the latest update I see that the team scores < 3 for suitability for both of these.

I read somewhere (release notes?) that you should avoid anything < 3, which makes this more perplexing.
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

If I'm correctly reading what JeffR posted in his reply, the boundaries between the suitability ratings are not as clear cut a simple numerical calculation. The dividing line between success and failure, at least for me, will always be talent. Wayne Gretzky could be put in the tactical system for which he is most ill-suited, but he's still Wayne Gretzky.
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
mikeyguns
Bat Boy

Yeah i really don't get the tactic suitability myself. I play with the Flyers use activated D suitability 1, 2-3 system suitability 5, 1-3-1 power play suitability 2, aggressive box suitability 1, granted i have only gone 2 months into the season but have the third best record in the league so for now my systems seem to be working just fine. I'm using updated rosters and have not done anything different with the Flyers roster other than let Oskar Lindblom start the season on my third line instead of playing in the AHL
mikeyguns is offline   Reply With Quote