Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Inside the Ropes

TBCB Inside the Ropes Your game and fantasy fights

Old 06-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #221
Cap
Hall Of Famer

IBU Rankings from Mitt Slingers Magazine - December 1896....IBU begins to pressure champion James Jeffries to defend his title belt....NABF champion Gus Ruhlin claims he had offered to defend his American title against Jack Johnson but had been turned down by Johnson's manager.....Bob Fitzsimmons has reportedly sailed for Australia aboard the Mariposa....Following the wave of new entrants into the pro ranks in the summer comes word of another batch of former amateurs...From the USA: Jim Barry, Fred Bradley, Jack Downey, Dan Flynn, Barney Williams, Montana Jack Sullivan, and Joe Willis....From South Afrika: Dave Bell, Bill Winslow and Gawie deKlerk....From Canada: Jack Connell, Charlie Fraser and Bill Rickard...
Attached Images
Old 07-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #222
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Excerpt from The Australian Star - January 1897....Under pressure from the IBU, world champion James Jeffries signs articles to meet No.1 contender Jack Johnson at Los Angeles at an, as yet, unnamed venue....At Belle Vue Arena, Manchester England Jack Stewart of Canada upset favoured Joe Beckett via technical knockout in four rounds of a ten round bout...South Afrika's Mike Williams, graduate of the Sydney Boxing Academy, improved his record to 9-1-0 (4) with a surprising stoppage of veteran Fred McMullen (20-15-2) a former challenger for the South Afrikan heavyweight title....An estimated 18,500 paid customers were witness to the Boxing Day showdown between ex-world champion Peter Jackson and one-time Empire title holder Bob Fitzsimmons at Sydney Stadium....In the semi-windup Broken Hill's Owen Sullivan [12st 13] gave a serious drubbing to an unusually fit Joe Goddard [13st 2] putting him down twice for brief counts....Immediately after his win over Fitzsimmons, Peter Jackson issued a challenge to Corrie Sanders to defend his Empire championship belt in Sydney....
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 07-12-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #223
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Greetings. Haven't posted at my usual frenetic pace lately. Our dog Buster died yesterday after a lengthy illness. Kidney failure and complications. He used to sit on the floor by my chair and wait patiently for me to finish whatever I was doing before we'd go for a walk or have a meal. My wife and kids are devastated. He missed his tenth birthday by just a couple of weeks. His sister from the same litter died three years ago. That leaves the third pup, Tink, the runt of the litter.

Wrapped him up in his favourite blanket and took him to the vet for cremation. Have decreasing faith in vets. Spent more than $500 on meds that did nothing but drag things out.

Cap
Attached Images
Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #224
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

sorry to hear cap he looked like a Bichon
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #225
Cap
Hall Of Famer

I always called him a Spandel, cause he was a cross between a cocker-spaniel and a poodle. He was a real clown.

Cap
Old 07-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #226
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear Cap

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #227
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Excerpt from The Montreal Star - January 1897.....Sources within the camp of Jim Jeffries have confirmed his title defence against Jack Johnson will take place at McNaughton's Pavilion either next month or the month after depending on his training progress....At the start of camp it was widely reported Jeffries had weighed close to 260 pounds....In the semi-windup to the McVea-Cannon fight Frisco's Al Kaufman won an easy six-round decision over Texas Bob Thompson....At the Old Forum in Halifax Sam Langford outpointed George Byers (6) and George Godfrey upset the apple cart by stopping an over-confident Denver Ed Martin in two rounds....Martin's corner protested the stoppage but their man was out on his feet....In Toronto Bob Day knocked out an aging Joe Lannon in five...At Chicago's Tattersall's Arena John Willie was unimpressive in his points win over one-time contender Patsy Cardiff.....At the Winnipeg Auditorium journeyman Kid Williams stopped Nick Burley in two rounds and Danny Whitebear decisioned big Doug Packhouse again this time in six rounds....
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 07-23-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #228
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Photo of Montreal's Westmount Arena circa 1898. Home of the Montreal Canadiens hockey club and numerous amateur teams.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 07-23-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #229
Twiggy Goddard
Bat Boy

Joe Goddard descendant

Hello,
I just wanted to thank everyone who has been supplying images and information here.
Joe Goddard is my great great grandfather and I have had a great time looking for all of the information that I can find about him.
If anyone finds any new information or images please let me know. He was a great man.
Thank you,
Twiggy
Twiggy Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #230
Twiggy Goddard
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
From the January 1892 issue of Mitt Slingers Magazine....The EBU has stripped Tom Sharkey of his title and set up an elimination match between Eire's George Gardiner, victor over Jack Root, and Roberto Damiani of Italy who recently defeated Irish Jack Burke...

Hi can someone explain this one to me please- Does this mean that Joe Goddard was 5th best in the world at this point? Thanks
Old 07-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #231
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy Goddard View Post
Hi can someone explain this one to me please- Does this mean that Joe Goddard was 5th best in the world at this point? Thanks
Hate to break this to you, mate. If you check the title of this thread you'll find that like all the rest of them, this is a fictitious alternate universe loosely based on historical persons.

For actual records of your ancestor you should check out Boxrec.com as well as the National Library of Australia.

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 07-24-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #232
Twiggy Goddard
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Hate to break this to you, mate. If you check the title of this thread you'll find that like all the rest of them, this is a fictitious alternate universe loosely based on historical persons.

For actual records of your ancestor you should check out Boxrec.com as well as the National Library of Australia.

Cap

OK I don't really understand! So did Joe Goddard never have the British Heavyweight Champion title?
I know that he was one of Australia's first heavy weight champions and I have many newspaper clippings, and a lot of it matches with what you have here. So I do not really know how to filter fact from fiction!

And sorry to hear about your dog.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #233
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy Goddard View Post
OK I don't really understand! So did Joe Goddard never have the British Heavyweight Champion title?
I know that he was one of Australia's first heavy weight champions and I have many newspaper clippings, and a lot of it matches with what you have here. So I do not really know how to filter fact from fiction!

And sorry to hear about your dog.
This forum "Inside the Ropes" is based on a computer game called Title Bout Championship Boxing. The threads in this forum are works of fiction, but some, like mine, have a wee sliver of fact woven through them.

For his historical ring record, go to:
http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/11540

Cap
Old 07-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #234
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Excerpt from The Cleveland Courier - February 1897....Attempting to avoid the often critical scrutiny of the boxing press Champion Jim Jeffries moves his training camp behind closed doors to the Reliance Athletic Club in Oakland....Reports dribbled out by his manager W.A. Brady claim Jeffries has pared down to 225 pounds and is expecting to enter the ring at around 215....Jack Johnson has set up his training quarters at Blankin's Six Mile House just outside San Francisco where he entertains paying customers with four round exhibitions with spar mates and hand-picked opponents such as Lionel Butler and Charley Strong....Pueblo Colorado's Fireman Jim Flynn improves his record to 12-0-2 with a fifth round stoppage of CC Smith at Hazard's Pavilion....At Tattersall's Arena in Chicago Klondike Haynes has a tougher than expected battle with "The Brooklyn Barman" Tom Kearney finally forcing the referee to rescue Kearney with seconds left in the last round....At Baltimore Jack "Big Six" McCabe may have put an end to the career of former champion James J Corbett putting him down multiple times before the referee steps in with a minute remaining in the first round.....Gus Ruhlin overcomes his usual slow start to defend his NABF title belt and suggests he may vacate the American title this year....Young New Jersey heavyweight Joe Jeannette makes a monkey of big Fred Russell in winning a lopsided six round decision and extending his unbeaten streak to seven bouts....
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 07-31-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:48 PM   #235
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Wire service news release from the International Boxing Union in Brussels....
Attached Images
Old 08-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #236
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Excerpt from The Barnsley Earwigger an English daily - February 1897....Raymond Berenger makes a voluntary defence of his EBU title belt and is forced to go the distance with fellow Frenchman Francois Marchand taking 8 rounds with 4 including the last going to Marchand....Bethnal Green's Jack Scales trades heavy artillery with big Ben Taylor before stopping him in the eleventh round at the order of the referee....Roberto Damiani cements his standing as premier contender for the European championship with an 8th round knockout of Austria's Jack Root in front of a large crowd that includes King Umberto and his Prime Minister Antonio Starabba....
Attached Images
Old 08-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #237
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Cuttings from various newspapers regarding the upcoming Jeffries-Johnson world heavyweight fight...Champion Jeffries is a heavy favourite to retain his title....The fighters agree to split 75% of the gate receipts in lieu of a purse with the winner taking 60% and the loser 40%...Ticket sales are brisk and promoter Jimmy Cafferty declares the fight will be standing room only....Special trains are being organized to bring fans in from San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento and Los Angeles and many fans are expected in from outside the state....Cafferty has promised a major fight will be held as a preliminary to the championship battle but will not reveal the combatants....
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 08-13-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #238
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Clippings from various US newspapers following the Jack Johnson - Jim Jeffries world championship fight.....In the only preliminary bout referee Billy Roche awards his decision to Tom Sharkey over Oakland Al Brown resulting in much criticism from the ringside press the majority of whom had scored the fight for Brown by an overwhelming margin...While Brown was virtually unmarked Sharkey was badly bruised and bloody and had to be helped to his dressing room....Jack Johnson was awarded seven of fifteen rounds by Referee Graney with two rounds even though most ringsiders had scored them for Johnson....While Jeffries was the aggressor throughout the match he failed to land significant damage until the 11th round when he had Johnson on wobbly legs....Johnson's vicious uppercut dominated the fight and had Jeffries bloodied and stumbling when the final bell rang....Jeffries later blamed his loss on his poor condition....Johnson and his corner went on to party all night.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 08-25-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #239
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Excerpt from The Glasgow Herald March 1897 reporting on bouts from the previous weekend....British champion Jack Scales survives a knockdown in round one and takes the fight to the big Italian Roberto Damiani scoring a clean knockout in the fourth round of their ten round elimination for a shot at EBU champion Raymond Berenger.....veteran George Gardiner shocks a black-tie crowd at London's NSC with a 4th round kayo of favoured Joe Beckett who clearly won the first two rounds....Fighting in neutral Holland Deutschland's Ludwig Schuhmann dominates the last three rounds to gain a points decision over France's No.2 ranked Francois Marchand ....England's Jack Palmer puts fellow countryman Battling Ed Corcoran down three times in round six forcing referee Clarke to stop the fight and award it to the Pride of Newcastle....
Attached Images
Old 09-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #240
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Advertising handbill for McNaughton's Pavilion in Oakland, California the famous boxing arena was located on the corner of Webster and Finegold near the red-light district....Jimmy "Hard Luck" Cafferty ran the establishment and acted as chief matchmaker from 1896 to 1914 but it was owned by Francis "Flash" McNaughton notorious gambler, loan shark and one-time borough captain....
Attached Images

Last edited by Cap; 09-06-2018 at 03:19 PM.