Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-13-2004, 01:29 AM   #1
Crapshoot
Hall Of Famer

Cricket

I know none of you have watched, but I think a few of you will understand - there is nothing that matches the sheer passion of 200 screaming Indians and 50 screaming Pakistanis watching a cricket match that may as well be a proxy as war- seriously.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:01 AM   #2
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Id rather watch turtles do the dance of love or even golf.
I can watch some soccer but give me baseball, football, hockey or basketball anyday.
Besides that its damn expensive. The pay per views are like a $199 dollars.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 05:07 AM   #3
Crapshoot
Hall Of Famer

typical. oh well.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:27 AM   #4
dougaiton
Hall Of Famer

I like cricket! We don't get the tests live on the radio today, as we occassionaly do with the India-Pakistan games, but we are getting hourly updates. Missed the last one of course, but hey!
dougaiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 05:40 AM   #5
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Sorry but its just not a game that excites me. Not saying the game is bad. Hell i fell the same way about some other sports.
I just couldnt ever get into it.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #6
dougaiton
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if anyone cares, but this morning England bowled the West Indies all out for 47!!! 47!!!

Steve Harminson - 7 for 12!!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
Teddyballgame
Major Leagues

I don't know the game at all, So I can't make a judgment on it. Something about it intrigues me, but for the life of me, I don't know what it is. I should probably start with trying to figure out what the hell the game is all about.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:25 PM   #8
dougaiton
Hall Of Famer

It's actually nowhere near as complex as people often suggest. The great/off-putting thing about it is that tests run over a series of days (even puts Rockies games to shame!) - but there is no better companion to working day in the summer than 'Test Match Special' on Radio 4 - well, maybe MLBtv or Radio 5's football coverage, but still, the slow and steady nature of cricket sums up British summertime better than some godforsaken game like tennis.

I'm actually a very recent convert to cricket - I was a baseball fan long before - but its charms have won me over.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:03 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Hey, the World Cup of Cricket is coming to my home island! (Don't ask me for help in getting you a cricket ticket. I don't know anybody.) Click on the images for a larger view, in particular the "Beginner's Guide to the Sport of Cricket."

BTW, "Nassau" is a county, not THE island.
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Whoa. Before you sneer (I did not, even though my interest is nil but if it's on the telly, I will tune in), get a load of this from that article:
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:51 PM   #11
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Every single cat that was alive when this thread was started is long dead and will stay dead, but Bru managed to resurrect the thread at least.

I fumbled with a cricket game some years back, but it never clicked with me.

Also, how do people actually watch a test? Five days each of six, eight hours? Sorry, I gotta work.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:19 PM   #12
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

We have a cricket pitch in the city I live in. Sunday afternoons, there are HUNDREDS of people playing and watching. It's pretty cool.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:25 PM   #13
Cod
All Star Reserve

Speaking of cricket, how's the new cricket league in the US doing? I think it's called Major League Cricket? There are a few cricket fields (?) scattered throughout the DFW area and games are always being played on weekends. In fact, one local cricket club rents out an indoor baseball facility near my house every Wednesday and invites anyone to come join them.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 10:28 PM   #14
pilight
All Star Starter

I haven't got the patience for Test matches. Twenty20 is plenty of cricket for me.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 11:07 PM   #15
mytreds
All Star Reserve

I liked cricket when they wore white sweaters.

“Once, centuries ago, it was the beloved national pastime of the Americas, Wesley. Abandoned by a society that prized fast food and faster games. Lost to impatience.”

“ The term ‘WAR’ should be replaced by ‘WAG’. WAR isn’t an actual measurement; it’s just a wild-ass guess” -Bill James

RIP National League 1876-2022

I make custom ballparks.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #16
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

This is my flavor of cricket
Old 09-22-2023, 12:27 PM   #17
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

I got hooked on cricket in a funny way. I was at a Blue Jays game and sitting beside me were an Australian couple who knew absolutely nothing about baseball. We struck a deal - I would teach them about baseball as the game went along, and then they would teach me about cricket.

Alas, the game ended with me still explaining baseball rules. But as luck would have it, we ran into the couple at a nearby pub after the game, and I got an hours' worth of lessons. I then began actively seeking out cricket on TV, unfortunately in Canada it's tough to find but I watch when I can and I pore over game reports and stats that I can find online.
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #18
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I had a job many years ago that a lot of people from South Asia worked on. It was hard to find common ground except for sports. Some of them liked football, but most of them talked about cricket non stop. So I learned the game and after a while actually enjoyed it and began to be able to have conversations with them.

There are a few decent cricket games and management sims as well.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:31 PM   #19
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

My son and I will be planning to head to the T20 World Cup in June. We may even go several weekends now that it will be on Long Island rather than in the city.

The groups have not been set yet but I assume that the site nearest NYC will have some premier squads - India and Pakistan would draw a huge crowd here.

For anyone wondering, no - the US will not advance out of the group stage (no matter what group they end up in).
Old 09-22-2023, 01:33 PM   #20
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
Speaking of cricket, how's the new cricket league in the US doing? I think it's called Major League Cricket? There are a few cricket fields (?) scattered throughout the DFW area and games are always being played on weekends. In fact, one local cricket club rents out an indoor baseball facility near my house every Wednesday and invites anyone to come join them.
I haven't paid attention but I think in the first season, all the teams are playing down there. They hope/plan to play like a real league from a geographic standpoint in season two.