Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 AM   #21
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Hobbies

I love to read many genres including but not limited to, history (all eras, civilizations, war, etc), science fiction, fantasy, alternative history, anything real life space related, sports, and others. I also have been heavily involved in gaming (RPGs like D&D and Traveller a multitude of others since the late '70s, Magic the Gathering from late '94 until 08, starting in the mid to late '90s I played an online MMO called Ultima Online for about 5 years then sold my account and moved on, mid 2000s I got involved playing WoW for over 5 years, and so much more). I opened and ran my own independent hobby/gaming store for a short time in the early 2000s. I am still involved in gaming to this day. I of course play OOTP and another MMO called EVE online, a sci fi menagerie game with lots of ship combat if you want, there are many other ways to play. Anyway, if anyone is near to or going to be passing through Kearney Nebraska and wants to play some old school D&D (a mishmash of Advanced, 2nd ed and 3.5 ed) let me know! Other games are possible also. Anyway I have some other hobbies like watching sports, movies etc. I would mention others things but I have gone on too long.

Have a Great night everyone!

Palaaemon
Old 01-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #22
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
OOTP is pretty much the only game I play anymore though I did pick up the new Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball game and find it is very well done. I will get in some seasons with it but every time I play I find myself thinking it's time that could be going to my OOTP league

Other than OOTP most of my time is spent playing guitar. I picked it up about 5 years ago after the kids were out of the house and done with college. This is very time consuming and, unfortunately, has taken away most of the time I used to spend reading

I am noting the recommendations of fiction crime authors and series to follow in this thread. It's giving me the desire to give a couple of these a go. Hopefully with retirement 2-3 years away I will again devote significant time to reading again. Back in the day I was following the John Sanford Prey series with Lucas Davenport.

My favorite genre is a mix of fiction and non-fiction IE books like "The Winds of War" but good ones are hard to find. That or I don't know where to look.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #23
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
OOTP is pretty much the only game I play anymore though I did pick up the new Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball game and find it is very well done. I will get in some seasons with it but every time I play I find myself thinking it's time that could be going to my OOTP league

Other than OOTP most of my time is spent playing guitar. I picked it up about 5 years ago after the kids were out of the house and done with college. This is very time consuming and, unfortunately, has taken away most of the time I used to spend reading

I am noting the recommendations of fiction crime authors and series to follow in this thread. It's giving me the desire to give a couple of these a go. Hopefully with retirement 2-3 years away I will again devote significant time to reading again. Back in the day I was following the John Sanford Prey series with Lucas Davenport.

My favorite genre is a mix of fiction and non-fiction IE books like "The Winds of War" but good ones are hard to find. That or I don't know where to look.
Oh man, if you like Sandford's Prey series, give his new series featuring Virgil Flowers a shot. I still look forward to each and every Prey book, but I think I crave each new Flowers book even more.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #24
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Was a DJ for 32 years... but didn't collect freebies from record companies... should have, but didn't... I didn't really have time to sit back, relax and listen to music except at work... the rest of my time was spent playing softball and basketball in church leagues... also coaching teenage church teams in softball and basketball... had to stop playing sports at age 55 because of bulging discs in my neck... docs said if I fell the wrong way, I could be in a wheelchair... 'nuff said for EC.

My greatest hobby is playing music at nursing homes... I go to two nursing homes a week - 8 each month - and play music for the residents for an hour and a half.. I take them on a musical journey of their lives... play nothing but the greatest hits of all-time... the songs they grew up with... it is the greatest joy of my life to see these folks in wheelchairs singing along with the songs and clapping their hands... I also go jitterbug and boogie woogie with them... I take their hands and dance with them... they really get a kick out of it...and it keeps yours truly EC in the best of health and condition.

If any of you want to be blessed by our Creator... go and minister in some way to nursing homes... those lovely folks are starved for entertainment and companionship... if you play a guitar, fiddle, piano -- you don't even have to play it well - - if you can sing just a little bit, they will love you dearly... or be like me, just get a PA sound system like me and play songs by streaming them or playing them on CDs.

Since I retired 18 years ago, I also bought every song I ever wanted... took me 18 years... now have over 7000 songs in pristine condition and enhanced sound... yes, it is possible to make songs better with the use of certain software... when you hear a song processed by me, it will jump out at you... it brings out all the soft, subtle sounds that most people don't pay any attention to.
I have a friend, who knows nothing about sound, but he had me rework his entire Jimmy Buffett library for him because his original commercial copies were lackluster compared to my enhanced versions... he said my versions made the music come alive.

I make my own CDs... program each one with only songs I know and love... I program each CD like I would program a radio station playlist, blending all kinds of music and artists together... Big Band, Pop, Rock, Rhythm and Blues, Country, Folk, Southern Gospel, Country Gospel and a little bit of Jazz... I have created over 300 80-minute CDs... and listen to them on a wonderful sound system with Klipsch Heresy speakers, Klipsch subwoofer and 250-watt per channel Anthem two-channel amplifier.

Most days 10 to 11 am I go to my music room... I sit in the musical "sweet spot" - halfway between the two speakers - close my eyes, sitting in my La-Z-Boy, and take a musical journey of my life... it takes me back to my teen years, my college years and I can remember my friends and girl friends from those days... most songs make me happy, some make me sad, but like Jimmy Buffett, who is a great songwriter, not just a Parrothead, said in a song "He Came To Paris":.. "Some of it's tragic, some of it's magic, but I have had a good life all the way."

That's the story of my life... and probably yours, too.

My other hobbies and interests now are, of course, OOTPB... I love my dynasty leagues... My Islandian Pro Alliance (still running after 10-15 years)… and my new ones, the North Island and South Island Leagues.
I love my leagues because the OOTP Graphics Community have made me beautiful logos, jerseys and caps that greatly, greatly enhance my enjoyment and immersion in the game.

My wife and I -- she loves baseball, too -- have seen all the MLB ballparks... it took us about 15 years... will probably go to Arlington this summer to stay up-to-date... we also go to as many minor league parks as we can in our travels... we keep a detailed scorebook, that my wife designed, so we have plenty of room to write a detailed account of the game... she keeps the book the first four and a half innings and I do it the last half of the game.

Yes, my life is good... thanks to many of you in our wonderful OOTP Community.
I appreciate all the help you have given me over the years... all you talented and technological geeks have helped an old technologically illiterate for over 15 years now... I started bothering you all back for much much help in OOTP3.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-17-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #25
Juggernt
Major Leagues

I'm a gamer (board, console, etc.). I've been involved in tabletop RPGs since the 1980s. I'm also heavily invested in Magic: the Gathering. If you know the game, you're likely familiar with my work.

Outside of gaming, I'm a foodie. We spend quite a bit of time both cooking and eating at nice restaurants. We have a pretty solid liquor collection and about 700 bottles worth of storage in two different wine cellars in the house.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #26
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernt View Post
I'm a gamer (board, console, etc.). I've been involved in tabletop RPGs since the 1980s. I'm also heavily invested in Magic: the Gathering. If you know the game, you're likely familiar with my work.

Outside of gaming, I'm a foodie. We spend quite a bit of time both cooking and eating at nice restaurants. We have a pretty solid liquor collection and about 700 bottles worth of storage in two different wine cellars in the house.
Fun to see so many RPG player/fans on here. I played a lot of MtG in the early days, but haven't for quote a while. One of the best things I got from MtG was a chance to meet Susan van Camp, who did quite a bit of artwork for the early versions. Saw her often at conventions and she did pieces for each of my kids. Always enjoyed talking with her.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #27
slic1149
Major Leagues

I like to play role playing games and Civilization. Right now I am playing Disco Elysium, which is the best rpg I have played in years. Since I have retired most of my life revolves around my computer. I also read quite a few mysteries and watch a lot of movies, especially action-adventure and fantasy.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #28
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

7 Grandchildren
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #29
zappa1
All Star Starter

Music. Specifically burning and printing my own CD booklets and inner and back. Also my printer prints on the CD itself. Problem is, I've made so many of them, I'm running out of storage space. Need to get more shelves to put them in.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #30
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Apart from OOTP, I like to write. Science-fiction mainly. Have had a few short stories published over the years.

Am currently about to start writing the third novel in a 4-novel series, which has been a new and fun challenge so far.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:49 AM   #31
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and as far as reading crime fiction goes: I've decided to read Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series in order. I've read many of them already but not starting from A and working my way along. I'm currently at B is for Burglar.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Oh, and as far as reading crime fiction goes: I've decided to read Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series in order. I've read many of them already but not starting from A and working my way along. I'm currently at B is for Burglar.
That's a good series. I read quite a few of the early ones. Not sure why I drifted away from the series. Maybe I will grab one at the library soon.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #33
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

I’m a huge golfer. Got into it once my baseball career ended. Total baseball swing kills me but I’m a fifteen handicap. Other hobbies include hiking, working out, pickup basketball, and shooting games (mostly battlefield).
SkoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #34
cavebutter
All Star Starter

There was a Greek philosopher named Eratosthenes who was nicknamed Beta (as in second) because he was good at so many different things, but not best at any. He's my role model. I pick up hobbies and immerse myself in them until I get good (or bored) and then move on to something else. The enduring ones are poker, BBQ and photography.

But I play music on guitar, bass, mandolin, ukulele, keyboard, and harmonica. I'm on the lookout for a tuba but my wife won't let me have one. I travel, hike, write fiction and code.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #35
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

check out carl hiasson, you will bust out laughing and have to stop reading and hold your place at certain points. his characters are great.

always some mystery / PI type character at center... some recurring characters like "Skink" are great.

at least one was made into a movie, but it bombed horribly with demi moore. 'skin tight', never watched it -- was about some quack plastic surgeon in forida -- always florida... about 'a florida man' bad guy long before that was coined, i think.

Skink is a former florida governor that disappeared and now lives off the grid. he's the main character in a few of the books.

as long as it is well written i can get into books. i'm not a fan of the new manufactured process that goes on with some big names. some author with a name makes an outline and pays peanuts to some 'co-authors' who actualyl write the book. if any author you read has done this, i bet you noticed when it started to happen. i don't want mass-produced outlines filled in by people i am not familiar with under the guise of a name i am familiar with, lol. seems quite manipulative and a total lack of integrity.

--------------

as far as hobbies, i don't read a whole lot of book anymore. i do keep up on current events. i probably spend 10-60mins everyday reading any article i can find that's interesting. watch the same mistakes repeated, then go smoke some p&t. So, i do still read quite a bit, just not novels. just kidding about smoking p%t afterward... it's more like before and after.. then later too.

heh, horticulture is a new interest of mine, now that MI has changed some laws. hate it. so much bad information and a lack of good research. so much 'magic' being sold by shady companies. here's a hint, if it has a cartoon on the lable, it's probably trash, lol. you should recognize when the marketing is targeted at the sophistication of a 4-year-old as a bad sign.

outside of a couple games i refuse to quit playing, and because a ps3 was barely used, i don't buy many games anymore. i more often have aninterest in som long-ago game i played and for nostalgia purposes want to play it again. often this wears out within a day or two of playing such an archaic relic.

it's never as great as you remember! LoL.

right now at this moment as the neighbor's dog barks nonstop every waking moment it is outside, my evil side concocts new and interesting ways to of preventing it in the future... muahahaha. i have a dog whistle on recording i blast though my speakers until it stops and gets the point. they don't like that, do they? no they dont! who's a good dog... you aren't... no, you are not. untrained dogs are almost as annoying as feral children.

is that shadenfruede if you are the hypothetical antagonist? or does it have to be removed from teh situation and merely enjoying another's plight? ... so, maybe shadenfruede is a hobby of mine too.. but only in a theatrically funny way.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-17-2020 at 03:36 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #36
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Obviously we all share the hobby of OOTP, but what are your other hobbies. Mine is reading crime fiction. My love of crime fiction started soon after I graduated high school in 1982.
I`ve got lots of hobbies, a few are: watching sports, reading, listening to music from many different era`s, solitaire board gaming, walking...
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #37
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
There was a Greek philosopher named Eratosthenes who was nicknamed Beta (as in second) because he was good at so many different things, but not best at any. He's my role model. I pick up hobbies and immerse myself in them until I get good (or bored) and then move on to something else. The enduring ones are poker, BBQ and photography.

But I play music on guitar, bass, mandolin, ukulele, keyboard, and harmonica. I'm on the lookout for a tuba but my wife won't let me have one. I travel, hike, write fiction and code.
Jack of all trades... hope to hear soon that you've mastered that tuba!
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #38
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
check out carl hiasson, you will bust out laughing and have to stop reading and hold your place at certain points. his characters are great.

always some mystery / PI type character at center... some recurring characters like "Skink" are great.

at least one was made into a movie, but it bombed horribly with demi moore. 'skin tight', never watched it -- was about some quack plastic surgeon in forida -- always florida... about 'a florida man' bad guy long before that was coined, i think.

Skink is a former florida governor that disappeared and now lives off the grid. he's the main character in a few of the books.

as long as it is well written i can get into books. i'm not a fan of the new manufactured process that goes on with some big names. some author with a name makes an outline and pays peanuts to some 'co-authors' who actualyl write the book. if any author you read has done this, i bet you noticed when it started to happen. i don't want mass-produced outlines filled in by people i am not familiar with under the guise of a name i am familiar with, lol. seems quite manipulative and a total lack of integrity.

--------------

as far as hobbies, i don't read a whole lot of book anymore. i do keep up on current events. i probably spend 10-60mins everyday reading any article i can find that's interesting. watch the same mistakes repeated, then go smoke some p&t. So, i do still read quite a bit, just not novels. just kidding about smoking p%t afterward... it's more like before and after.. then later too.

heh, horticulture is a new interest of mine, now that MI has changed some laws. hate it. so much bad information and a lack of good research. so much 'magic' being sold by shady companies. here's a hint, if it has a cartoon on the lable, it's probably trash, lol. you should recognize when the marketing is targeted at the sophistication of a 4-year-old as a bad sign.

outside of a couple games i refuse to quit playing, and because a ps3 was barely used, i don't buy many games anymore. i more often have aninterest in som long-ago game i played and for nostalgia purposes want to play it again. often this wears out within a day or two of playing such an archaic relic.

it's never as great as you remember! LoL.

right now at this moment as the neighbor's dog barks nonstop every waking moment it is outside, my evil side concocts new and interesting ways to of preventing it in the future... muahahaha. i have a dog whistle on recording i blast though my speakers until it stops and gets the point. they don't like that, do they? no they dont! who's a good dog... you aren't... no, you are not. untrained dogs are almost as annoying as feral children.

is that shadenfruede if you are the hypothetical antagonist? or does it have to be removed from teh situation and merely enjoying another's plight? ... so, maybe shadenfruede is a hobby of mine too.. but only in a theatrically funny way.
Oh man, Carl Hiaasen is so damn good. I love his books and you're hundred per cent correct that you sometime have to put them down until you stop laughing. Problem is, he hasn't put out anything new in quite a while. Really need him to crank out a few more books. Have you tried Tim Dorsey? He's another Florida guy like Hiaasen. Writes in a similar style. Oh and Dave Barry has a couple novels that are very funny.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #39
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I played tuba in high school and college!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post

It's a heckuva lot of fun, too!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #40
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Obviously we all share the hobby of OOTP, but what are your other hobbies. Mine is reading crime fiction. My love of crime fiction started soon after I graduated high school in 1982.
Good question... I'm also a book/music nerd. My reading runs the gamut from Nonfiction (currently slogging through the Secret History of the Mongol Queens...) to poetry to vintage crime fiction (mostly whodunnits with some adventure stuff mixed in), and whatever else tickles my fancy (but never self-help - I prefer to stay disorganized). My music tastes are relatively eclectic - no jazz, no cowboy songs... though I do enjoy a good western.

I'm also an avid Arsenal supporter (though I've never played FM) and die-hard Mariners fan (for better or worse, mostly worse)... and I have a pretty stellar garden (mostly my wife's doing, but I help... from a distance, with a High Life tallboy in my hand), still ride my longboard with my little people around the neighborhood quite often, and grab the ol' rod & reel for some fishing at every opportunity (which is scarce now that I've moved to North Central Texas from Seattle last July).

Edit: Did anyone here play Earl Weaver Baseball back in the day? I loved that game.

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-20-2020 at 06:47 PM.
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote