Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
Wot the Devil?
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Linux Help

I'm pretty new to Linux and have installed OOTP on Ubuntu 8.10 but nothing happens when I try to run the program, can anyone help?
Wot the Devil? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot the Devil? View Post
I'm pretty new to Linux and have installed OOTP on Ubuntu 8.10 but nothing happens when I try to run the program, can anyone help?
OPen a terminal and run it from there to see any error messages. I am gussing you are missing one of the dependances. I am thinking its the MySQL package. Try installing MySQL using your package manager and starting it again
pisdpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #23
EdwardBroyles
New User

I'm in an online league. Will the game interoperate with my leaguemates if I am on the Linux version and they are on Windows?

The only reason that I boot over to XP at all is to use OOTP. Would love to be able to do everything from Linux.
EdwardBroyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #24
Wot the Devil?
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the reply I've Installed mysql and ran program again this gives error message "Failed to execute child process konqueror (no such file or directory)
Old 11-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #25
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Thanks for the reply I've Installed mysql and ran program again this gives error message "Failed to execute child process konqueror (no such file or directory)
Is the game running when you see that error. If so what were you doing at the time. If not make sure you are starting the right file.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #26
Wot the Devil?
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Loaded Konqueror with package manager, game now starts to run, gets to the load game screen and then disappears and takes me back to the desktop.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #27
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Loaded Konqueror with package manager, game now starts to run, gets to the load game screen and then disappears and takes me back to the desktop.
Thats very strange, you dont need Konqueror to run the game. Any message when the game quits? Are you running 32 or 64 bit box?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #28
Wot the Devil?
Minors (Rookie Ball)

No message game just disappears off screen, am using 32 bit, I may try another distro to see what happens.

Last edited by Wot the Devil?; 11-15-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #29
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
No message game just disappears off screen, am using 32 bit, I may try another distro to see what happens.
I find that very strange, I would expect a "core dumped" message if it crashed or an error code written to the terminal. What hardware are you running? What filesystem? Is is a windows dual boot?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #30
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardBroyles View Post
I'm in an online league. Will the game interoperate with my leaguemates if I am on the Linux version and they are on Windows?
Yes, it will, I do it myself.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #31
Wot the Devil?
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Game has miraculously started working this morning, very strange. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #32
Vadi
Bat Boy

I'm having the mysql issue too, but I do have the mysql library installed: http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/bild/6348/..._82_FLA0vR.png
Vadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #33
csiems
Bat Boy

Linux Install Help

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.3 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> I am new to LINUX--MEPIS distribution with KDE--and could use a step-by-step explanation on how to install the OOTP program (i.e. pretend I am 52 year-old mom). I downloaded the LINUX OOTP9 file "ootp9linuxinstall.tar.gz," extracted it to my desktop, but cannot proceed further.

In the "OOTPBaseballInstaller" folder, there is a file "LinuxInstaller" and a "Data" folder. In the "Data" folder there is a "installer.pkg" file. Double-clicking on any and all of these does nothing. Please help!
csiems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #34
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
I'm having the mysql issue too, but I do have the mysql library installed: http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/bild/6348/..._82_FLA0vR.png
This may be due to the name of the mysql shared object file installed. You need to find what is on your system. I am not that familiar with Ubuntu package management but there should be a way to list the files installed. For me I just do this:

Quote:
ls -al /usr/lib64/libmysqlclient*
You are looking for a file called libmysqlclient.so.15. I am guessing you will have a different number at the end. If it is >15 then you can simply create a symbolic link and everything will work fine. If its less then you may get away with a symbolic link but it could cause issues.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #35
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiems View Post
<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> I am new to LINUX--MEPIS distribution with KDE--and could use a step-by-step explanation on how to install the OOTP program (i.e. pretend I am 52 year-old mom). I downloaded the LINUX OOTP9 file "ootp9linuxinstall.tar.gz," extracted it to my desktop, but cannot proceed further.

In the "OOTPBaseballInstaller" folder, there is a file "LinuxInstaller" and a "Data" folder. In the "Data" folder there is a "installer.pkg" file. Double-clicking on any and all of these does nothing. Please help!
Right, I would say you prob have dependency issues. It happens when you dont have the right software (or versions of software) installed on your system to allow the application to run. Its one of the biggest drawbacks of having such a wide range of Linux distros/versions out there. If you are familiar with MS Windows, its the same as not having the right DLL's on your system.

The first thing you need to do it find out what is missing. The best way to do this is to open a shell (command prompt). Move into the OOTPBaseballInstaller folder and type ./LinuxInstaller

You should see an error along the lines of "Unable to open shared library xxx". The xxx will be the name of the missing software you need to install. Go to your distro package manager and install the missing software package and try again.

Once you have all the needed software installed the installer will open a window and you simply follow the on-screen instructions.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #36
csiems
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisdpaul View Post
The first thing you need to do it find out what is missing. The best way to do this is to open a shell (command prompt). Move into the OOTPBaseballInstaller folder and type ./LinuxInstaller
After completing the above step I got this:
/bin/bash: line 1: 10880 Floating point exception'./Linux Installer'

If you have any ideas on how I should further proceed, let me know.
csiems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #37
pisdpaul
Developer PISD & OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiems View Post
After completing the above step I got this:
/bin/bash: line 1: 10880 Floating point exception'./Linux Installer'

If you have any ideas on how I should further proceed, let me know.
In most cases this is due to Libc version mismatch. The libc version on your system is earlier than the one I used to build the game. One of the libc updates caused this floating point error when the games libc was of a later version than the system. The answer is to upgrade libc, however this may cause you other issues.

You can check this by starting the game in gdb. When it stops look at the call stack. If you are not familiar with gdb here are the basics.

Quote:
$> cd &lt;path game was installed to&gt;
$> gdb &lt;game name&gt;
gdb> run
program will run and stop with floating point error
gdb> bt
loads of trace here
gdb> quit
$>
If the trace you see is simular to this then you most likely do have a libc version mismatch.

Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception.
0xb7f2e20b in do_lookup_x () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) bt
#0 0xb7f2e20b in do_lookup_x () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#1 0xb7f2e597 in _dl_lookup_symbol_x () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#2 0xb7f2fc00 in _dl_relocate_object () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#3 0xb7f29918 in dl_main () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#4 0xb7f38305 in _dl_sysdep_start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#5 0xb7f261f4 in _dl_start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#6 0xb7f25847 in _start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2

If you see the function main() listed in the trace then the chances are its is something else. In which case post back your trace.

Last edited by pisdpaul; 12-01-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #38
jeremy7227
Minors (Single A)

Problem entering a license key...

I have the windows version of the game but really want to convert wholly to Linux, thank you OOTP and PISD!

I bought a Mac license tonight for use with my Linux install but the game won't take my activation. Can someone help? I have double and triple checked that it looks good when cut and pasted into the field.

Really want to get my online league going on my Linux machine!

Jeremy
jeremy7227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #39
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy7227 View Post
I bought a Mac license tonight for use with my Linux install but the game won't take my activation. Can someone help? I have double and triple checked that it looks good when cut and pasted into the field.
I'm pretty sure that the licenses are OS-specific at this time, so the Mac license won't work with the Linux version. I may be mistaken, however.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:03 AM   #40
Irishray

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
I'm pretty sure that the licenses are OS-specific at this time, so the Mac license won't work with the Linux version. I may be mistaken, however.

That is correct. Future plans include cross-platform licenses, but not yet.

Ray
Irishray is offline   Reply With Quote