Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Anyone
Major Leagues

Manager styles (Sabermetric, Smallball, etc.) meaning more

I have a lot of thoughts on this, and don't expect to see this changed in a patch for 16, but hopefully next year the manager style meaning can be expanded.

There is a little bit that the style already means other than an indication of the sliders a manager tends to have. For example, many Sabermetric managers (and sometimes Unorthodox ones) will bat their pitchers 8th if allowed to create the lineup, and in general choose different batting orders than other managers. I'm sure that's not the only difference styles have outside the sliders, but I don't think there are enough. Also, some sliders-- those about talent evaluation, not in-game tactics-- don't seem to correlate well enough to manager style.

I said a lot there, and I'm only going to think of some of my thoughts, but here goes:

1) Sabermetric managers should almost always be way over to the "Favor OBP" over "Favor AVG" side of the scale, and almost as much "Favor Power" over "Favor Speed."

2) Conventional managers should tend to the "Favor AVG" side of the same scale, though Power/Speed could go either way.

3) Smallball managers should always be on the "Speed" half of Power/Speed, though AVG/OBP might go either way.

Outside of talent evaluation sliders, a few other things:

1) While there should be more of a way to use Closers in high leverage situations in general, Sabermetric managers should always do that. They shouldn't bring a Closer in with a 3 run lead just because it's a "save situation" and should be much more willing to use him in a tie game. Tacticians should have some tendency to do this as well, at least in terms of bringing in Closers when tied.

Meanwhile, Conventional managers should tend to save the Closer for save situations, almost always bringing him in in any 9th unning save situation, not bringing him in when tied even if it's extra innings if you're on the road, because the Conventional manager wants to save him to save the game if you get a lead.

2) The inning shouldn't be the key to choosing the reliever, for much of anyone. Setup men generally shouldn't come in if behind by more than one and if ahead by some ridiculous amount. Long Relief should also mean low leverage and be favored when the game is a blowout.

In pitching changes, Tacticians in particular should look to switch from the starter's handedness, at least if the opposition has a few platoon players. They should also start pinch hitting platoon partners for each other earlier in the game, if the opponent switches handedness, as long as the "pinch hit for position players" sliders allow it. All managers need to do that more, but Tacticians in particular.

3) I had more, but I'm drawing a blank, and this is plenty for now anyway.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)

I'm actually very happy with how often my sabermetric manager pitches the closer in the 9th and 10th inning of tie games (i.e. he will let the close go 2 innings). Haven't compared much to the other manager types. But I agree, there should be even more extreme possibilities, like pitching the closer against the heart of the order in the 8th inning of a close game and have another reliever handle the bottom of the order in the 9th.
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoetze View Post
I'm actually very happy with how often my sabermetric manager pitches the closer in the 9th and 10th inning of tie games (i.e. he will let the close go 2 innings). Haven't compared much to the other manager types. But I agree, there should be even more extreme possibilities, like pitching the closer against the heart of the order in the 8th inning of a close game and have another reliever handle the bottom of the order in the 9th.
One thing that bothers me right now is that my Sabermetric manager puts my Closer in with 3 run leads in the 9th (when there are fresh setup men), sometimes even bigger leads. That's resulted in him not being available for much higher leverage situations.

I will say it is possible to get any manager to go for 2 inning saves by setting the pitching staff for the closer to come in "8th or later" rather than the general "8th+ or later." That's backfired on me though, because again he'll get used with 3 run leads and really get tired and be too tired in higher leverage situations.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:02 AM   #4
majesty95
All Star Starter

I would like this to be expanded as well. I think its a good start but I don't see near the difference in managing styles as maybe we should.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote