Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #21
sjshaw
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
9) Let us have the option to instruct a pitcher to learn a new pitch. Too many two pitch-types with high stamina in the drafts who only seem to develop into bullpen arms/emergency starters. In real life, players work on new pitches all the time, and if one "tweener" pitcher is successful at developing another pitch, then it would add another dimension to finding that "diamond in the rough" (a la Tim Wakefield, Brett Myers, etc.)
Please, Markus, do this or something similar.
sjshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I think most RL teams would like this option as well. Way too many two-pitch guys never manage to learn that third pitch, and if the teams could just do something about it, imagine the possibilities!

Okay, end sarcasm. Players already CAN pick up that third pitch, it's just not guaranteed. MOST players end up in the bullpen IF they make the bigs at all. This is how reality works. This is how OOTP works. As currently constituted, it mirrors reality in such a way that the fun factor is improved, IMO. No need to change it.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

15) Let us manually assign players to our International Complex. Sometimes those IFAs we sign in the offseason aren't even ready for Rookie ball yet.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
9) Let us have the option to instruct a pitcher to learn a new pitch. Too many two pitch-types with high stamina in the drafts who only seem to develop into bullpen arms/emergency starters. In real life, players work on new pitches all the time, and if one "tweener" pitcher is successful at developing another pitch, then it would add another dimension to finding that "diamond in the rough" (a la Tim Wakefield, Brett Myers, etc.)
As a option with a switch no problem.

The problem I have with this idea is what sort of success rate would you expect? If it's more than 10% maybe even 5% I think it would be unrealistic, producing a glut of SP. OOTP has to represent pitches as separate entities because of the game structure. In real life pitchers throw variations of the same pitch and have something off-speed to disrupt timing. The other part is physical effort and body type. See this comment by Curt Schilling. The thread is interesting but too short. Schilling later suggested two FB ratings for control and command.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...velopment.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
This is in no way a disparaging post to yours, but my comments and opinions on what you posted, and how this game creates and matures pitchers.

This is not true honestly. Few pitchers on the planet have what you'd call '3 pitches'. In the big leagues, let's use a 10 scale, most big league starters have 2 8-10's and 1 2-7 pitch, maybe 2 2-7 pitches. Justin Verlander? 10 FB, 10 CB 8-10 Change, but that's him.
Me? I would tell you I had an 8-10 FB, 10 split, 4-5 CB, 2-4 Slider. On my best days my curve was a 6-7, my slider a 4, at best. I pitched 3000 innings with 2 pitches, and remember I had what was likely the straightest FB in the big leagues. My command was 10, 'movement' would have been, 1 FB 10 Split, likely a 5? I threw 95-99 when I was in my prime (97-2003).
Maddux? He had a 8-9 FB, 10 Change, and cutter 8-9? He threw 88-92 tops.
The hard part with this game is that in the big leagues my fastball was 3-5 pitches, in up, in down, in belt, down and away, up and away, up middle some nights.
For me guys are pegged starters and relievers in the draft on 2 main things, body, and effort. It's next to impossible to load 200+ innings seasons on a power arm, with a 6' kid. Because more times than not the power that kid generates is max effort, whereas once I learned how to pitch, I was a 93-95 guy throwing 85%, dialing up to 98-99 at 99% when I needed the punchout.
What made both Petey and Maddux so special was their ability to pitch, at max effectiveness, at 85%. Watch anyone with obscene command, how they finish their delivery, they're in control, and in great position to defend, at release.
The guys like Kyle Farnsworth, the entire cards pen? Those guys are relievers, whether they want to be or not, because you can't do that 100+ times a night and get 30+ starts out of your body.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #25
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
As a option with a switch no problem.

The problem I have with this idea is what sort of success rate would you expect? If it's more than 10% maybe even 5% I think it would be unrealistic, producing a glut of SP. OOTP has to represent pitches as separate entities because of the game structure. In real life pitchers throw variations of the same pitch and have something off-speed to disrupt timing. The other part is physical effort and body type. See this comment by Curt Schilling. The thread is interesting but too short. Schilling later suggested two FB ratings for control and command.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...velopment.html
I do want that as an option as well. And maybe add another rating to what Curt suggested: Command of the Strike Zone. Curt said he could throw his fastball well in three to five zones over the plate so maybe something that rates how well a pitcher hits the spots the catcher calls for could be added to help determine whether he will be a starter or a reliever.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #26
Mariners fan 24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Thanks for adding that aspect to my suggestion.
Another way to implement it would be from coaches. Pitching coaches could have a "teach pitch rating" and a rating for teaching/improving each type of pitch. It would look like the current coach or scout ratings system.
Mariners fan 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #27
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
14) In the offseason, when established international free agents are created, please add their ages in the email notifying us of these new IFAs. I never sign anyone over 27 years of age so it's kind of a pain to go through each one individually and see whether or not they're worth signing to me.
AND if possible, OSA/your scouts cur/pot ratings for them.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

16) Please have the players eligible for playoff rosters as one of the reports the game generates after the season ends. We don't require our GMs to own the game in our online league so it's hard for some of the playoff teams to know who is eligible and who isn't.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #29
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
10) A la OOTP's Inside The Park game and MLB The Show's Road to the Show mode, give us an option to create a player and guide his baseball career path by playing out his games/at bats and negotiating his contracts, endorsement deals, etc. Have specific storylines tailored to our player by letting us fill out biographical information on him. One such example is that a charity he endorses is charged with embezzlement and fraud, and his popularity drops as more details come to light and his performance on the field suffers because he may face charges as well.

+100000000000

God, how I'd love to have this feature.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
+100000000000

God, how I'd love to have this feature.
Oh yes!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #31
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Another way an indexing service would be of use would be when you have to edit your league's playoffs schedules. We sim right along with MLB's schedule but when it comes to scheduling the playoff games, OOTP always starts all four division series on the same day. In real life, the two NL division series start the first day then the AL division series start on day 2, along with the second games in the NL division series. So, when I go back and edit the games to their correct days, OOTP doesn't associate those edited games with the divison series they're in anymore. Our second NLDS finished up today and I simmed ahead to Friday since there was no game Thursday, and the game acted like it was the offseason now. It started rescouting and retiring players. Somehow, the end of the postseason had moved up by three weeks, I'm assuming because the game thought the playoffs were over since I had to edit some games. The same thing happened last year as well. I believe an indexing service like one I mentioned in the first post of this thread could help alleviate these mistakes because it could help the game sync up its schedule with MLB's schedule. I don't know how hard that would be to code into the game but it would be a big help in these situations.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #32
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another way an indexing service would be of use would be when you have to edit your league's playoffs schedules. We sim right along with MLB's schedule but when it comes to scheduling the playoff games, OOTP always starts all four division series on the same day. In real life, the two NL division series start the first day then the AL division series start on day 2, along with the second games in the NL division series.
I have been suggesting for a number of years now that OOTP have historically correct post-season schedules for historical leagues. I have the data necessary to make it happen.

For OOTP 15, I intend to propose customizable, dedicated post-season schedule files (just like how there are regular season schedule files). The user can then set up exactly how they want their playoff schedule to go and OOTP follows it. There are a quite few things to work out with such post-season schedule files, but it ought to be doable (and would combine with several other schedule-related improvements that could be made).
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #33
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Another way an indexing service would be of use would be when you have to edit your league's playoffs schedules. We sim right along with MLB's schedule but when it comes to scheduling the playoff games, OOTP always starts all four division series on the same day. In real life, the two NL division series start the first day then the AL division series start on day 2, along with the second games in the NL division series. So, when I go back and edit the games to their correct days, OOTP doesn't associate those edited games with the divison series they're in anymore. Our second NLDS finished up today and I simmed ahead to Friday since there was no game Thursday, and the game acted like it was the offseason now. It started rescouting and retiring players. Somehow, the end of the postseason had moved up by three weeks, I'm assuming because the game thought the playoffs were over since I had to edit some games. The same thing happened last year as well. I believe an indexing service like one I mentioned in the first post of this thread could help alleviate these mistakes because it could help the game sync up its schedule with MLB's schedule. I don't know how hard that would be to code into the game but it would be a big help in these situations.
If the indexing service can't be implemented, then I suggest modifying the schedule editor to ask you what kind of playoff games you want to edit. If you're modifying the ALDS, then you should be able to select that from a dropdown menu so that the game can connect what you're doing with the league history and therefore it will know where things have been edited but still follow the playoffs rules in the League Setup and keep continuity in the league. As it stands now, with our online league's playoffs, the game schedules a 7 game playoff series every day for seven days straight and doesn't follow the playoffs format I have set up (2 days, 3 days, 2 days).
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #34
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

17) When manually selecting winners of the regular season awards (Gold Gloves, MVPs, Cy YOungs, etc.), configure the selections so that, when we create a League Event for each award, the award will get announced on that day, not all awards all at once. Maybe I'm missing something, but whenever I manually select the award winners, the game makes me select all of them at one time and then announces all of them at the same time, rather than on the dates I have selected to have them announced.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #35
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Please Add This To The Next Version

Yes.

Many years ago I played Diamond Mind on the internet for head to head games. We had many options to speed up play and each GM could stop play and make managerial moves. The opponent could not see choices made.........and each GM can take control of the mouse during head to head play.

This option is long overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmsu View Post
May I suggest:

12) Online face to face play? It would be so cool to play the world series games live against a human! Imagine the tension and strategy involved in the late innings - does my ace have another inning in him? Should I bring in the closer who has been shaky recently? Perhaps other league members could watch a gamecast, and be allowed to comment with cheers or jeers?
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #36
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

18) Please add a drag-and-drop window to help with editing rosters, which would be helpful when going through free agents and assigning multiple free agents to one team. It would really ease the construction of custom teams instead of having to do an inaugural or fantasy draft.

I am currently going through rosters in my online league after updating them with the 2013 drafted amateurs in MLB and a lot of players who shouldn't have been free agents are for some reason. I've identified them all but it's a pain to have to reassign each of them individually rather than in groups. I tried doing it in Excel and other players ended up being dumped into free agency. It's been kind of maddening, to say the least. . .

Last edited by OBSL Commish; 12-16-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #37
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

19) When playing as a GM, let us sign contracts that list incentives for us to win, as in real life. We can still check the box that keeps us from getting fired, but at least have the owner give us a more detailed plan of objectives for each season. How well or often we achieve those objectives would determine our next contract or whether we get canned for not living up to the contract. Our performances could also add to or subtract from a "Reputation" rating that would be used by other teams when offering us contracts.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #38
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

20) During the draft, it would be great if the "Scouting Director Recommendation" could be refined so you could ask the Scout to "Recommend Pitcher" or "Recommend Hitter" or even better (if more complicated) "Recommend Catcher" or "Recommend Reliever".
ovccsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #39
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovccsteve View Post
20) During the draft, it would be great if the "Scouting Director Recommendation" could be refined so you could ask the Scout to "Recommend Pitcher" or "Recommend Hitter" or even better (if more complicated) "Recommend Catcher" or "Recommend Reliever".
i like that. or even Top 3 recommendations...
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #40
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I have been suggesting for a number of years now that OOTP have historically correct post-season schedules for historical leagues. I have the data necessary to make it happen.

For OOTP 15, I intend to propose customizable, dedicated post-season schedule files (just like how there are regular season schedule files). The user can then set up exactly how they want their playoff schedule to go and OOTP follows it. There are a quite few things to work out with such post-season schedule files, but it ought to be doable (and would combine with several other schedule-related improvements that could be made).
As this was posted a few months ago, I thought it was worth highlighting again.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote