Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #1
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Did OOTP 20 fix the new pitcher problem?

When playing a game vs the AI and you hit 'Enter', the computer will 'sneak' in a new pitcher and as the human manager, you are not given a choice to switch batters.

Has this issue been fixed in OOTP 20?

Thx
Leefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
slugga27
All Star Starter

I don't think this problem exists. Human pinch hits, AI makes a pitching change. Pitching change is indicated by the pitcher's name surrounded by asterisks. The asterisks appear PRIOR to you advancing to the next pitch/play. You can pinch hit before advancing.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
I don't think this problem exists. Human pinch hits, AI makes a pitching change. Pitching change is indicated by the pitcher's name surrounded by asterisks. The asterisks appear PRIOR to you advancing to the next pitch/play. You can pinch hit before advancing.
I think that you misunderstand or I wasn't clear....it is a regular batter, then all of a sudden, after hitting enter, the defense has a new pitcher and I am unable to switch to a new batter.

The next time it happens, I guess I will have to take a screen shot?
Old 03-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yes, I have not heard this issue reported before and obviously should never happen. The text will list a new pitcher and such, but they should appear on-screen before you select to swing away.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, I have not heard this issue reported before and obviously should never happen. The text will list a new pitcher and such, but they should appear on-screen before you select to swing away.
Then maybe I am doing something wrong? When I am playing a game and I am pitching or batting, all I do is hit 'Enter' unless I want to do something special.

Should I be hitting '1' instead?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leefoo View Post
Then maybe I am doing something wrong? When I am playing a game and I am pitching or batting, all I do is hit 'Enter' unless I want to do something special.

Should I be hitting '1' instead?
It should do the same thing. As I said, it *shouldn't* happen that the AI changes pitchers on you without you being able to respond (but there's always a chance that there's a bug somewhere). If you can show that it does happen, then certainly we'll look into it to fix it.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
Mat
All Star Reserve

nothing to do with that. You will always have the option to to PH.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
nothing to do with that. You will always have the option to to PH.
Thx!

I get the announcement that a new pitcher comes in and then the pitch is delivered. I am not allowed to make any moves. It just happened again two days ago while playing a game, so it is fresh in my mind. It was during the playoffs in my 80s league. I ended up with lefty on lefty at a crucial time.

The next time it happens, I will have to make a screen shot, I see. i feel like hollering "I am not making this up",

Of course, this means it won't happen for a month now, lol.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
It should do the same thing. As I said, it *shouldn't* happen that the AI changes pitchers on you without you being able to respond (but there's always a chance that there's a bug somewhere). If you can show that it does happen, then certainly we'll look into it to fix it.
Thx!

I get the announcement that a new pitcher comes in and then the pitch is delivered. I am not allowed to make any moves. It just happened again two days ago while playing a game, so it is fresh in my mind. It was during the playoffs in my 80s league. I ended up with lefty on lefty at a crucial time.

The next time it happens, I will make a screen shot. I feel like hollering "I am not making this up".

Old 03-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leefoo View Post
Thx!

The next time it happens, I will have to make a screen shot, I see. i feel like hollering "I am not making this up",

The announcement and pitch do come after you hit to do the next play, but we do note the new pitcher (and put asterixes on his name on the card on the field) before the play happens.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
You need to look at the pitcher before you hit enter or 1 to complete the AB. The announcement comes "after" the switch because there is no pbp until you hit enter. In other words when a new P comes is you will see him on the mound with ** ** around his name IE

** Johnson **

If you are just quick hitting enter you will not catch the change. I play out all of my games and occasionally I do this and hit enter without catching the change. So as is it is up to you to be observant.

I suppose a good suggestion might be to make a pitching change like a rain delay. IE when you hit enter to complete an AB a info box would come up announcing the substitution.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
Leefoo
Major Leagues

To Sweed and Matt Arnold

I never knew that about the asterisks. I will look for that from now on.

THXXXXX!
Old 03-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #13
jmolony3
Minors (Double A)

Still an announcement of a new pitcher or batter should be like the rain delay. Also it would be nice to designate a new pitcher to start the inning prior to players taking the field. Currently if you substitute while the other team is at bat the incorrect pitcher can be credited with a win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jmolony3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolony3 View Post
Still an announcement of a new pitcher or batter should be like the rain delay. Also it would be nice to designate a new pitcher to start the inning prior to players taking the field. Currently if you substitute while the other team is at bat the incorrect pitcher can be credited with a win.

Why not wait until that half inning is complete? Problem solved.

There used to be an issue where this would happen, but could only happen if a pitcher was hurt on the third out of the inning (the game would force you to change pitchers before the team came up to bat).
Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #15
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Currently if you substitute while the other team is at bat the incorrect pitcher can be credited with a win.
To clarify, the bug is that the game allows such a substitution?
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
jmolony3
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Why not wait until that half inning is complete? Problem solved.

There used to be an issue where this would happen, but could only happen if a pitcher was hurt on the third out of the inning (the game would force you to change pitchers before the team came up to bat).

If your team takes the lead after the substitution but before the next inning the incorrect pitcher may be credited with the victory. It since a substitution like this would only become official when the the new pitcher takes the mound it would be preferable for the game to track it between innings. Similarly it would be nice to ask the pitcher how they are feeling while in the dugout when your team is batting and not use a mound visit.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #17
slugga27
All Star Starter

But that begs the question...why can't you wait to make the substitution until your pitcher has to take the mound? You wouldn't (or shouldn't) be pre-emptive about it if you were playing without the DH, I'd bet.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #18
jmolony3
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
But that begs the question...why can't you wait to make the substitution until your pitcher has to take the mound? You wouldn't (or shouldn't) be pre-emptive about it if you were playing without the DH, I'd bet.

True if there were no DH I would wait for the ab or inning but if I have a starter that has hit 118 pitches through 7 innings I know they are not taking the mound in the 8th and I have the reliever ready I should be able to indicate the change to be effective at the start of the next inning.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #19
maineyankee7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I have the reliever ready I should be able to indicate the change to be effective at the start of the next inning.
MLB rules prohibit this. No projected substitutions will be recognized by the umpire.
maineyankee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #20
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
True if there were no DH I would wait for the ab or inning but if I have a starter that has hit 118 pitches through 7 innings I know they are not taking the mound in the 8th and I have the reliever ready I should be able to indicate the change to be effective at the start of the next inning.

But why handicap yourself? Imagine this: projected first batter up next inning is a light-hitting catcher. You’ve made the move pre-emptively (while you’re at bat) to bring in a right-handed pitcher. AI brings a powerful lefty off the bench. You are now stuck. And even if you waited, you may be stuck still. HOWEVER...

Same scenario, but the AI is bringing that lefty up regardless. But this time, the AI makes the move before you’ve brought your new pitcher in. You can pivot to a southpaw to match. The AI can certainly counter, but they would be burning two pinch hitters. It’s about setting yourself up in the best possible scenario. Getting ahead of yourself is a terrible idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk