Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

OOTPB!... What a Game!... Very Special Moment in My IPA Dynasty League

EDIT: CORRECTION... Sorry, I unintentionally misled you... OOTPB did create the player that eventually became Jojo DeLucca... the original player was added to the Reserve Roster, but I changed the original name so that the son of a former player for that team was on the team... I then just let the game handle his career.

OOTPB did not create the son of a former player in this case... not sure if it does this or not... it would be good if it did... would be interesting to watch it play out.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but a very special moment just occurred in my long-running Islandian Pro Alliance dynasty league (12 years) and I just wanted to share it with all of you.

For the first time in the IPA, a son of a Hall of Famer was elected to the Hall of Fame... this is unique... don't think it has ever happened in Major League Baseball... the closest I can think of is the Ray Boone Family with his son, Bob and grandsons, Bret and Aaron... and none of them received much support in the HOF voting... Bob Boone was the best of the lot... modest hitter, but a fine Gold Glove catcher for the Phillies and Angels.

Biography
Boone was born in San Diego, California. An infielder, he broke into the major leagues on September 3, 1948, with the Cleveland Indians. In a thirteen-year career, he hit .275 with 151 home runs in 1373 games for Cleveland, the Detroit Tigers, the Chicago White Sox, the Kansas City Athletics, the Milwaukee Braves and the Boston Red Sox.

Boone was followed into the majors by son, Bob Boone, who was a catcher from 1972 to 1990 and grandsons Bret Boone, who played from 1992 to 2005, and Aaron Boone, who played 1997 to 2009. The Boone family was the first to send three generations of players to the All-Star Game.

Source : © Copyright Wikipédia authors - This article is under licence CC BY-SA 3.0 .

The DeLucca story is kind of special... and it just happened in OOTPB... the game did it... I didn't change any ratings... it just played out this way.
A really special moment for me.
Hasn't happened in the Major Leagues yet.
Wouldn't that be something?

You think Vlad, Jr. has a shot at joining his dad in Cooperstown?

Here is my post from the OOTP Dynasty Forum:
Name:  ISLANDIAN TIMES BANNER.png
Views: 429
Size:  18.6 KB

Sunday, May 1, 2061
IPA INDUCTS 7 GREATS INTO HOF
Seven Islandian Pro Alliance players have now met the standard of excellence required to be admitted to the coveted and revered Islandian Pro Alliance Hall of Fame... the Broadcasters and Sportswriters Association have voted in these seven legendary performers into the Hall and they will be inducted this fall during the IPA Winter Meeting... the IPA Hall of Fame now numbers 100 immortal players... the latest class includes the winningest pitcher of all-time, James Long, who boasts the most victories in IPA history... and one of the best all-around players in history, first baseman JoJo DeLucca... the rest of the class is Rikky Van Dalen, Corky DiNozzo, Benny Hull, Jason Butler and Jayson Hallstrom.

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON, ANOTHER DELUCCA IN THE IPA HALL OF FAME
For the first time in the history of the IPA Hall of Fame, it will become a family affair... JoJo DeLucca will join his father, Joe DeLucca in the Hall of Fame... the elder DeLucca was inducted in 2039.

Today is a very special moment for the Islandian Pro Alliance Hall of Fame... it happened when Hall of Famer Joe DeLucca got the news about his son, Jojo DeLucca... "Never in a million years would I have ever thought this moment would come... somehow I played well enough to get there... and now my son is there, too... wonders never cease... and my blessings never cease."

During his tenure in the Islandian Pro Alliance Jojo DeLucca was nothing but class, on the field and off the field. Now he is part of the Hall of Fame class of 2061... DeLucca was a 15-time All-Star, 6-time Golden Glove, 2045 Golden Bat and 2045 Most Valuable Player... lifetime, DeLucca posted tremendous numbers for the Claxton Diamonds... he hit for a .303 average in 3398 games (3rd) and totaled 4125 hits (2nd) , 635 home runs (8th), 2425 RBIs (2nd) and scored 2099 runs (6th)... he played 23 seasons in the IPA and retired in 2058 at the ripe old age of 43... the Diamonds won 5 division flags while DeLucca was playing.

DeLucca first signed with his dad's old club, Volusia, but was lost via free agency after one year to Claxton... the junior DeLucca told reporters, "Claxton offered me 20,000 a year for three years... the best Volusia did was 8,000... and just a one-year contract... I just thought I deserved more after a darn good rookie season... even my dad said I should go to Claxton... that was just too good of an offer."... Jojo DeLucca made $7,000 in his first year in the IPA.

In a TV interview on BNN, DeLucca expressed his thanks and gratitude to the many people who helped make this wonderful day possible. "It is a tremendous honor for me to follow my father into the Hall of Fame... not only was he himself a great ballplayer, but more so, he was an even better father... I have been truly blessed... I have been able to do something I love and get paid very well for it... there was no place that I ever wanted to be but on the baseball diamond every day doing what I love."

One of his friends and former teammates, Rick Clayburne, told reporters, "The greatest thing he taught me was on my first day in the big leagues -- it was the hustle... he hit two one-hoppers to the pitcher and ran as hard as he could to first base... Jojo set a great example for me to model my career... his hustle and desire -- those were the little things that stood out for me... plus he's one of the best hitters I've ever played with."

Name:  JOJO DELUCCA HALL OF FAME CARD.png
Views: 386
Size:  125.6 KB
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-09-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 PM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

This is awesome Eugene, thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Come to think of it, I don't think this has ever happened in the NFL or the NBA, either.

Don't think Archie Manning is in the NFL Hall of Fame... surely Peyton will make it... and there's an outside chance Eli will, too... he has two Super Bowls rings... he just might make it.

Maybe it has happened in the College Football and Basketball Halls of Fame.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This is what I was looking for: ". . . the game did it . . ." which makes it very impressive indeed. Not that I thought you would be foisting a subterfuge upon us if otherwise but for the game to consider these two to be HoF-worthy means that they rose above thousands of other players in the estimation of the game itself. I would also be pleased and excited by such an event in my league but unfortunately I have many, many seasons to go before I ever have such a chance.

EDIT: Great write-up, too. Looks professional! Thanks for sharing.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 08-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
This is what I was looking for: ". . . the game did it . . ." which makes it very impressive indeed. Not that I thought you would be foisting a subterfuge upon us if otherwise but for the game to consider these two to be HoF-worthy means that they rose above thousands of other players in the estimation of the game itself. I would also be pleased and excited by such an event in my league but unfortunately I have many, many seasons to go before I ever have such a chance.

EDIT: Great write-up, too. Looks professional! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the comment.

Much appreciate your compliment, too.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
battists
Hall Of Famer

Eugene, interestingly a local radio show had a conversation about this the other week. I listen to their podcast when I mow the lawn.

Bobby Hull and Brett Hull are a father-son duo who are both in the HoF. They might be the only such pair.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Eugene, interestingly a local radio show had a conversation about this the other week. I listen to their podcast when I mow the lawn.

Bobby Hull and Brett Hull are a father-son duo who are both in the HoF. They might be the only such pair.

Very, very interesting... thank you for sharing it... sad to say, I'm kind of weak on the NHL... Maurice "Rocket" Richard, Gordie Howe and Jean Beliveau are about the extent of my knowledge of hockey... I must have seen their names in newspaper headlines or on Sports Illustrated covers when I was a kid.

Did the Howe boys ever make the NFL Hall of Fame?... I vaguely remember all of them playing with their dad on the Houston Aeros, I think.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-08-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Did the Howe boys ever make the NFL Hall of Fame?... I vaguely remember all of them playing with their dad on the Houston Aeros, I think.

You know, I was wondering that too. Just looked it up and Mark Howe DID make the HoF, so there’s another father-son combo.

In football, the Maras are in the HoF, but that’s as front office, not players...

Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
You know, I was wondering that too. Just looked it up and Mark Howe DID make the HoF, so there’s another father-son combo.

In football, the Maras are in the HoF, but that’s as front office, not players...

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I could not find any outside of hockey.

Clay Matthews has a decent chance at making the pro football HOF if he can get in a few more seasons to pad his career numbers.
If so that would be the first in American football.

If you count racing Michael and Mario Andretti are both in the international Motorsports HOF.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I could not find any outside of hockey.

Clay Matthews has a decent chance at making the pro football HOF if he can get in a few more seasons to pad his career numbers.
If so that would be the first in American football.

If you count racing Michael and Mario Andretti are both in the international Motorsports HOF.
I could be wrong, but Clay's father is not in the NFL Hall of Fame... it's his uncle, Bruce.

Do you mean a first for relatives to be in the NFL Hall of Fame... or the first father-son duo in the Hall of Fame?

Good to know about the Andrettis.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #12
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

That's

extremely cool! Probably a one of a kind event in all our universes. Congratulations!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #13
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
extremely cool! Probably a one of a kind event in all our universes. Congratulations!
Get well soon, my friend... you are in my prayers.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

EDIT: CORRECTION... Sorry, I unintentionally misled you... OOTPB did create the player that eventually became Jojo DeLucca... the original player was added to the Reserve Roster, but I changed the original name so that the son of a former player for that team was on the team... I then just let the game handle his career.

OOTPB did not create the son of a former player in this case... not sure if it does this or not... it would be good if it did... would be interesting to watch it play out.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-09-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #15
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have seen a Jr. created by the game in my WPK fictional league (meaning there was a player named Chris Cardin and a few years after he retired a Chris Cardin Jr. popped up in the draft class) so it seems like the game will create some sons. I don't know how it would be indicated that they were offspring though unless they have the same name and the Jr. designation.

In the WPK I have my own process of creating relatives of current players (so not just sons but brothers, cousins, grandson's, sons-in-law, etc.) But even with that process it would be extremely unlikely that a father-son HOF combo would ever happen. I hope it does eventually as I love this sort of thing.

However it came about in your league, I love it!

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 08-09-2019 at 02:31 PM.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #16
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I have seen a Jr. created by the game in my WPK fictional league (meaning there was a player named Chris Cardin and a few years after he retired a Chris Cardin Jr. popped up in the draft class) so it seems like the game will create some sons. I don't know how it would be indicated that they were offspring though unless they have the same name and the Jr. designation.

In the WPK I have my own process of creating relatives of current players (so not just sons but brothers, cousins, grandson's, sons-in-law, etc.) But even with that process it would be extremely unlikely that a father-son HOF combo would ever happen. I hope it does eventually as I love this sort of thing.

However it came about in your league, I love it!
Thank you, I always appreciate your replies, comments and observations about OOTPB.

I, too, have created players in my Islandian Pro Alliance... all the mythical players from the movies are in it... Jack Elliott of "Mr. Baseball"... Roy Hobbs from "The Natural"... Billy Chapel from "The Love of the Game"... Crash Davis from "Bull Durham"... and all the great players from the Blue Sox series of books by Duane Decker... Decker wrote about 15 books aimed at teenage boys in the 50s... I read most of them... each one was about a player and his trials and tribulations to become a star... I liked it because the key figure in one book would be in later books, too.

I also created Roy Hobbs' son and grandson in the IPA.

Hobbs and Elliott are in the IPA Hall of Fame.

And yes, I tried to give them all realistic ratings.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 08-09-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #17
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you, I always appreciate your replies, comments and observations about OOTPB.

I, too, have created players in my Islandian Pro Alliance... all the mythical players from the movies are in it... Jack Elliott of "Mr. Baseball"... Roy Hobbs from "The Natural"... Billy Chapel from "The Love of the Game"... Crash Davis from "Bull Durham"... and all the great players from the Blue Sox series of books by Duane Decker... Decker wrote about 15 books aimed at teenage boys in the 50s... I read most of them... each one was about a player and his trials and tribulations to become a star... I liked it because the key figure in one book would be in later books, too.

I also created Roy Hobbs' son and grandson in the IPA.

Hobbs and Elliott are in the IPA Hall of Fame.

And yes, I tried to give them all realistic ratings.
Yes, this is what makes fictional play so much fun!
I did create a W.P. Kinsella character at one point in my W.P. Kinsella league (I think it was John Kinsella) but he never made it to the bigs. He did have a shining moment in short season A ball as I recall- winning Player of the Week honors.
You have reminded me that it is time for me to add another Kinsella character soon.

And thanks for your kind words. I am still such a novice compared to so many of you here and I can only aspire to someday be as positive a force here as you are good sir.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote