Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

How do you treat "Possible FA's" in minors?

Each off-season we are faced with players in the minors becoming FA's through the minor league time limit. Assuming multiple levels (AAA, AA, A, etc) how do you treat/evaluate that list of players?

Re-sign them all with the action button and only let those demanding a major league contract go to FA if you truly don't have a spot on your 40-man?
Let them all go to FA so a new crop of talent has a chance to play in your system?
Let only certain levels go to FA (for example players hitting FA in the lower levels)?
Cherry-pick the very best (and at every level or just AAA for example)?

Don't want to lead the answers too much...so any thoughts/suggestions???
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Andriko
Minors (Single A)

Every time i look at my minor leagues I stare in horror at the sheer mass of useless players I have no idea what to do with, then switch the option on for the AI to look after them. Then I worry the AI might release all my prospects and keep the chaff, and go back to looking on in horror.
Andriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I talk to them and explain they should be playing in The Sims since they won't be playing in The Show.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

I generally extend any of them who will accept a minor league contract, and then re-evaluate once I get closer to the next season what makes sense on a team-by-team basis (aiming to keep about 30 players on each minor league roster). Some of my minor league teams will have more "real" prospects than others.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

First time I look at it, I offer minor league extensions to any of them not asking for $

Then every month or so I recheck the list & do the same thing

Rarely does a player not lower his demand to a minor league extension unless it's a veteran player (even then, sometimes they'll still take a minor league extension too)
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

If someone has been around long enough to become a minor league FA they are not likely to help you. I let them walk because it is likely they block younger players from moving up.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Cras
Hall Of Famer

I only just activated this in my league.

So I have no real problems letting these bums walk.

Considering prior I had to go through the list of crap and cut them by hand. 26 year old and the AI has him playing in A ball? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Unless the door is like your swing, then you don't have to worry because it can't hit anything.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I try to loosely follow real-life age limits so that I don't wind up with 25-plus year-old guys dominating Class A. My main theory is that if a guy is about to be a minor league free agent, he has to play a position where I have no minor league depth and/or be able to move up at least one level from his current level for me to re-sign him. Otherwise, I let them walk and sign younger free agents to fill the minor league rosters.

EDIT TO ADD: One other thing, I don't offer the extension during the season. I wait til the minor league season is over because they remain on the roster until the major league season ends, so there's plenty of time to make those decisions.

Last edited by BIG17EASY; 05-17-2013 at 12:31 PM.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
BeancheBlanco
Minors (Double A)

I generally re-sign all my minor leaguers to minor league contracts if they hit free agency. If I didn't want them on my team, I would've already released them.
BeancheBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I try to loosely follow real-life age limits so that I don't wind up with 25-plus year-old guys dominating Class A. My main theory is that if a guy is about to be a minor league free agent, he has to play a position where I have no minor league depth and/or be able to move up at least one level from his current level for me to re-sign him. Otherwise, I let them walk and sign younger free agents to fill the minor league rosters.

EDIT TO ADD: One other thing, I don't offer the extension during the season. I wait til the minor league season is over because they remain on the roster until the major league season ends, so there's plenty of time to make those decisions.

Would anyone care to give some rough age ranges for who should be playing at what level? I know Rookie-ball is for the youngsters, but I don't really know what's 'age appropriate' for High A vs. AA, for instance.

I let AI manage minor league promotions/demotions, so if it is putting a 27 year old in single A, I'll take that as an indication that the player is completely hopeless and release him. (I play with 30-player roster limits at all levels except Rookie, which I keep unlimited.)

Anyway, I'd like to go through my minor league system later today and trim some of the garbage that's in there. Age limits for different levels?
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman2575 View Post
Would anyone care to give some rough age ranges for who should be playing at what level? I know Rookie-ball is for the youngsters, but I don't really know what's 'age appropriate' for High A vs. AA, for instance.

I let AI manage minor league promotions/demotions, so if it is putting a 27 year old in single A, I'll take that as an indication that the player is completely hopeless and release him. (I play with 30-player roster limits at all levels except Rookie, which I keep unlimited.)

Anyway, I'd like to go through my minor league system later today and trim some of the garbage that's in there. Age limits for different levels?
Real life rules are a mix of age and service time limits and they only apply to Class A and below. Here's a link that lists the rules: Minor League Rosters
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Real life rules are a mix of age and service time limits and they only apply to Class A and below. Here's a link that lists the rules: Minor League Rosters
thanks!
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

For me, like many have said, I'll re-sign guys not asking for money but with a few caveats:
  1. Are they likely to be productive at the next level? You have to look at their stats, ratings, and who's in front and behind them to know if they're worth keeping around.
  2. Are they likely to take a spot for someone who IS likely to be productive at the next level? If so, then I look at their seasonal progression/regression, WAR, and how many positions they can play in the field. If those things are good, they might stay around. If not, they either get sent packing, or I shop them.
  3. Are they too old to play in your "farm" system? Remember that things "grow" on a farm. Once a player reaches his ceiling, and isn't going to go any further, cut 'em loose, regardless.
  4. Are they coming off a breakthrough year? Your scouting report (assuming it's on) can tell you if they've improved a great deal in their ratings and are likely to be more productive in the coming season. This is also based on other players at their position in your system...
  5. Are they as dumb as a rock, or lazy as a house cat? Even if the numbers from the last couple of seasons may look good, if they have dinosaur brains or don't work hard, there's a reduced chance they'll grow into something better.

Generally, I boot guys who are too old, lazy, dumb, or clog up the system. It's like pruning a tree. And remember, if you draft okay, and pick up a few castoffs from other organizations, you'll never miss middling talent.
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I usually let them walk, but not always. I'll keep a guy around at the upper levels if he's a good org guy who can play a number of positions.

I sort of use personal age limits on my minors. Though the last time I did a purge (only during the offseason), I wound up signing a bunch of younger guys just to fill out my lower levels. I use the following limits (but I'll fudge if I want to).

AAA - No limit. I stash veteran depth here.
AA - 28, just in case there's a late bloomer or two.
High-A* - 26
Low-A* - 24
Short-A - 22
R - 21

* - Yes, I know there is some debate over whether or not the game properly distinguishes between them. I make this distinction personally.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
snepp
All Star Starter

I allow myself 1 extension season for each minor leaguer, after that they either have to be added to the 40-man or allowed to hit free agency.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote