Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #2301
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

A Quick Hop Onto the Soap Box

I think the fielding in OOTP sucks. Is there anything more ridiculous than having to "train" Roberto Clemente to play left field? Or Marty Marion to play second base? This guy's 6'5" - let's train him into a 110 first baseman. Fielding ability is, I think, the most subjective facet of the game, and OOTP's rigorous attempt to apply objective factors seems, at least to me, to make it easier to "game" the game, and leads to the game being less representative of the actual major league game. I remember seeing the other Giant outfielders looking toward Willie Mays so he could wave them into position, with damned good results, simply by playing where Willie told them to. Just sayin'.
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #2302
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser View Post
I think the fielding in OOTP sucks. Is there anything more ridiculous than having to "train" Roberto Clemente to play left field? Or Marty Marion to play second base? This guy's 6'5" - let's train him into a 110 first baseman. Fielding ability is, I think, the most subjective facet of the game, and OOTP's rigorous attempt to apply objective factors seems, at least to me, to make it easier to "game" the game, and leads to the game being less representative of the actual major league game. I remember seeing the other Giant outfielders looking toward Willie Mays so he could wave them into position, with damned good results, simply by playing where Willie told them to. Just sayin'.
True. You can train tall good defensive midfielders to be freaking whizzes at 1b. And, guys who were historically known as good fielders are not in this game.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #2303
Magus978
All Star Starter

I go lay down and I'm in first place. I come back and we lose 6 in a row to go under .500.

Never sleeping again. What a crock. I swear, this team makes my brain hurt.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #2304
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
I go lay down and I'm in first place. I come back and we lose 6 in a row to go under .500.

Never sleeping again. What a crock.
Tacoma playing better against you now. We have a big series against NZ coming up.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #2305
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Tacoma playing better against you now. We have a big series against NZ coming up.
Was referring to the Patriots, but now I know not to check the Mets either.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #2306
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
Was referring to the Patriots, but now I know not to check the Mets either.
Patriots swept the Puppies last month.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #2307
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Patriots swept the Puppies last month.
Ain't been sweeping anyone else though. Being under .500 makes me very ornery.

I did end up checking the Mets, at least they're over .500. Doc Medich sucks though, so he's been replaced by Pat Zachry.

Meanwhile, on their own in I225 because I'm a doofus, the 1980's All-Stars are finally playing up to potential. At 27-18, they are tied for the AC East lead with a bunch of fake Montreal Expos. If it were a true Expos team, they would have Expos players!

Bo Jackson's gotten hot, and now shares the American Conference lead in RBI's with Flim Flom's Grady Sizemore, each with 35 RBI. Someone's Tony Gwynn is hitting .457 and the fact that it isn't mine makes me very sad. My Gwynn is broken at .339, and that's not even the best on the team. Cecil Cooper's hitting .380!

Offense is clearly the order of the day in I225, because our pitching sucks.

Last edited by Magus978; 06-11-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #2308
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

OL is dominating Iron .243

Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 PM   #2309
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
I can't seem to get into the mode of trying to milk the game for packs. I get too invested in my teams, and can't get myself to take advantage of the AI in trades. Think it's time to fire up my old Strat-O-Matic for my recreational game play. Hmm, I know I have a ton of old cards up in the attic. There's probably some dice...

If all you want is the pack, you just have to separate yourself from thinking you are playing an actual game of OOTP. Just think this game I am now creating is for pack, and run the 1927 Yankees for a year and repeat. The toughest part is I can only sim 1 week at once, so I all did is just watch Youtube and tab in tab out(I don't have two monitors) and keep the sim going until I get the packs.

I also go offline on Steam for this cuz I don't want to earn achievement so "cheaply". I wanna earn my achievements on a proper game.

If you really really care about your team, just find the team you hate the most and find its best year and sim that year.

Quote:
I agree with you but it's just what it is for this mode. This mode pretty much leverages the "we are playing with numbers" side of the game as it would be as a multiplayer mode that emphasizes winning more more than anything. Also, this mode has no injury, so less representative of actual major league game is warranted.

I also find pitchers to be boring because of how little stats they have that provide major impacts. Obviously, there are things like GB/FB ratio, stamina and hold runner, but you aren't looking at them before the big three(and only three): S,M,C. I really enjoy searching for batters and comparing them because there are just more stuffs to consider.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #2310
Magus978
All Star Starter

Falling off the pace in silver, another multi-game losing streak and back under .500.

Might not be worth my time to keep checking on this group, because the Al Dark upgrade has not worked out. Time better spent on teams that don't suck.

Last edited by Magus978; 06-11-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 AM   #2311
joehart
All Star Starter

As our second month comes to an end, here is a regular league snapshot and some comments for S272.

AC East:
Two OL teams are leading the division. The Salem Witches have a great 33-21 record.
They are 4 games ahead of the Harlem Hatchets, who hold the top Wild card sport.
Great to see both teams doing well.

AC Central:
Unfortunately, the Asylum Keepers are 7 games back in the division.
It is not easy being forced to play teams with no limitations that are filled with all Diamond and Gold players.
Good luck for the rest of the week.

AC West:
Janesville Onyx are leading the division with a 32-22 record holding off the
a non-OL team (Chi-Town Railers), who have a Perfect Christy Mathewson.
The other two OL teams (Bluffton Boomerangs and Port Ruppert Mundys) are 6-7 games back
but still have a chance in the wild card race (3 games behind).

NC East:
My sons's favorite rival (Sanguine Classics) have taken the division lead with a 30-24 record.
But the Palolo Puppies and New York Patriots are still just 1.5-4 games behind.

My son (Seattle Endless Summer) tried to take the series against the Classics but
lost 2 games in the 3 game away series (1-4 Loss, 19-3 Win, 2-3 Loss). Unfortunately, he won't get
to face them again until Saturday.

Both the Puppies and Patriots are still in the wild card race (0.5 to 3.5 games behind).

NC Central:
Asheboro Road Dogs have a 25-28 record and are currently 5 games behind the non-OL Arcata Fusion team,
who have a solid 83 Rod Carew and 91 Clean Jones on their team.
Hopefully the Road Dogs can get some solid play from Mule Suttles and the Bronze Rod Carew to stay in the race.

They are still in the NC Wild card race (3.5 games behind).
We have a nice OL competition for the wild card spots. Good luck to all the OL teams.

NC West:
My sons Seattle Endless Summer team continues to perform well.
They are on top of the division with a 34-20 record but got swept (4 game loss) by the
the non-OL 'HR hitting' San Diego Aztecs, who have 11 Diamond players,
and will be trying to beat OL teams for a wild card spot.
Attached Images

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #2312
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Not sure I understand the comment. Are you saying you dislike the idea of Clemente playing in LF (unless I am mistaken....his rocket arm was in RF for pretty much all but a few games) or the idea that you have to train him to play there and it takes so much time?
Or that the positional numbers are a bit simplistic (tall = great at 1B) and could use a deeper model?

Personally, I never looked at Perfect team as a game to fully be the deepest most realistic representation. I tend to play the Historical games of the traditional game for that. It tends to be much less crazy and I get to stay in control a little bit more.

I actually like the idea of re-training players. It adds to the "what if" scenarios. What if Clemente did not have Stargell and Alou already in
LF and CF and another rocket arm like Ichiro or Furillo came along (ignore the crazy jump in time). Would they have considered moving him?
Moved one of the other players? ….

Since the game narrative is based on "what if" scenarios, I don't mind that re-training is a part of the game.
Could it be implemented differently...probably. I am sure it will get a re-visit at one point in the future.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 AM   #2313
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
Yesterday I got a Seager 92 OVR Historical All Star. He will train at !B to 117 according to the position calculator. I started platooning him at 1B with Nomar. So far he has been a nice lift against RHers.
I am curious to see how that plays out. Interesting move.
I wonder if you will get enough contact from him to make it work.

At the lower levels, one of the kids platoons 77Hernandez with 80Jeter.
Jeter trains to ~90 but his hitting (lack of doubles and HR power) may not last through the higher leagues.
He told me that he got him for just slightly above the 1.2K mark so he was very cheap and has done well in the platoon role.

Good luck....

Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #2314
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

Sanguine Sparks Optimism with Hot Month, but Seattle Still Steams Ahead

The Classics shifted into overdrive, going 15-7, but Endless Summer still sets the pace, posting a 7-3 record. Salem slipped a little, but still held onto second.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #2315
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Gold league update:

just a handful of games in May... should start seeing more games coming up as teams like Annandale will have 10 of their first 11 games in June vs OL opponents
Attached Images
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #2316
Charlatan
All Star Starter

B270 Update

Redmond zooms to the top in OL play

Code:
Our League Standings - B270 - May 31, 2030			
			 W	 L	 Pct
Redmond Defenders	15	 8	.652
Frankenthal Retros	 9	 7	.563
Motown Stars		11	 9	.550
Ozark Bobcats		13	11	.542
Little Rock Crayons	11	11	.500
DB Pickleballers	11	15	.423
Philadelphia Patriots	 8	11	.421
Chi-Town Towers		 7	10	.412
Auckland Athletics	 3	 6	.333

x
Attached Images
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #2317
Edster007
All Star Starter

A look at the Iron 243 standings
Attached Images
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #2318
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
I am curious to see how that plays out. Interesting move.
I wonder if you will get enough contact from him to make it work.

At the lower levels, one of the kids platoons 77Hernandez with 80Jeter.
Jeter trains to ~90 but his hitting (lack of doubles and HR power) may not last through the higher leagues.
He told me that he got him for just slightly above the 1.2K mark so he was very cheap and has done well in the platoon role.

Good luck....
The past two seasons my Nomar has dipped against RH pitchers as more and more perfect teams are starting the elite starters. So I started looking for a replacement when this card popped for me. I decided because of his defense to give it a whirl. If he can give me .280 and a .300+ OBP most seasons with a little power and grest D, I can make it work on my defense minded infield team until I can save enough points to maybe go with the Gold Carew and take the defensive hit that accompanies him.
Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:10 AM   #2319
Charlatan
All Star Starter

The state of the AH is depressing me. There seem to be a lot of people whose game is playing the AH. Last night I saw a good card (I wasn't interested in) up for 14k with 15k buyout (which was around the 7 day averages). Ten minutes later that card is gone. A couple minutes after that, I see the card again, listed at 40k with a 50k buyout. Do people really buy cards like that? I guess if you have lots of excess PP and are willing to just sit on the card you can speculate like that, and maybe it pays off for you eventually, but I won't ever be in that position, so it just makes me sad.

Washington (in perfect) won't be able to upgrade for a few seasons, so we're accumulating PP in the hopes that someday we can buy another player.

Annandale is waiting on one of three players to show up on the AH (at my price... one is there but 1.5x the average price).

Texas is waiting for a specific player to show up.

Motown is waiting on an auction to end. If I win it, it'll be a defensive upgrade with a small offensive loss. Then we'll be more or less out of PP.

Venusville is pretty much standing pat until forced to upgrade! Not sure what to upgrade here. When that happens I usually eventually buy a new starting pitcher.

Last edited by Charlatan; 06-12-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #2320
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Working the AH is one way to accelerate PP gain for a F2P player. Some of them are bound to be doing that. I sure did a lot of that in other games.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote