Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #41
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Fan View Post
Yes they definitely did. Angels could have started Ryan but didn’t. And I am sure was a factor in other games down the stretch too. That is one reason I normally don’t use as played lineups. Just did it for this sim to see Aaron get 715
I've never used as-played lineups. Just curious, if you wanted to, could you have overridden any lineup choices? (Like made sure each contending team was starting it's A-lineup and top pitchers on the last weekend?)
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #42
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I've never used as-played lineups. Just curious, if you wanted to, could you have overridden any lineup choices? (Like made sure each contending team was starting it's A-lineup and top pitchers on the last weekend?)
I think only if I played out the game and took over as manager.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:53 AM   #43
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY OCTOBER 3, 1974
PLAYOFF TIE-BREAKER

Three of the four divisions in my sim finished very close to real life. In the NL East the Pittsburgh Pirates won 98 games to finish 1 game ahead of Philadelphia and 11.5 up on third place St Louis. In real life the Pirates beat the Cardinals by a game and a half with the Phillies finishing third, 8 games off the pace.

The real life 1974 Los Angeles Dodgers won 102 games and finished 4 games up on the second place Reds. In the sim, the Dodgers won 101, 2 more than the Reds. The American League East in my sim saw the Yankees win 100 games and have an 8 game cushion on second place Baltimore. In the real 1974 standings it was Baltimore that finished first with 91 wins, 2 more than the Yankees.

The fourth division had the big surprise team. In real life the California Angels finished the 1974 season with a 68-94 record, last in the AL West and 22 games back of the division winning A's. So how did that team manage to win 98 games in my sim and be a 1-game playoff away from meeting the New York Yankees?

Lets compare some of the real life numbers to sim totals:
Code:
            PITCHING
	          REAL		SIM
NAME		 W-L   ERA     W-L   ERA
Nolan Ryan	22-16 2.89    18-8   2.61
Frank Tanana 	14-19 3.12    22-12  2.42
Andy Hassler	 7-11 2.61    14-8   3.33
Ed Figueroa	 2-8  3.67    10-5   2.93
Bill Singer	 7-4  2.98    13-4   2.68

NAME		G  W-L ERA  Sv    G  W-L  ERA  Sv
Skip Lockwood	37 2-5 4.32  1   66 7-10 3.58  22

BATTING
NAME		    AVG HR RBI	    AVG HR RBI
C Ellie Rodriguez  .253  7  36	   .262  0  37 
1B John Doherty    .256  3  15	   .229  0  24
1B Bruce Bochte	   .270  5  26	   .359  8  39
2B Denny Doyle     .260  1  34	   .278  4  60
SS Dave Chalk      .252  5  31     .267  3  41
3B Paul Schaal     .248  2  20     .279  3  23
SS-OF B Valentine  .261  3  39     .275  2  41
OF Mickey Rivers   .285  3  31     .270  1  50 
OF Leroy Stanton   .267 11  62     .267 10  54
OF Joe Lahoud      .271 13  44     .232 17  49
DH Frank Robinson  .251 20  63	   .249 21  90*

*Angels numbers only.  Traded to Cleveland Sep 12
No dramatic changes offensively aside from Bruce Bochte but he only had 256 at bats. Pitching is a different story altogether as Frank Tanana had a huge improvement as did Ed Figueroa. I expect a big reason for that is I left the game at the default 3-year recalculate for ratings as opposed to setting it to 1 year. My plan was originally just to play out a week or so until Aaron got 715 so I was not overly concerned with league settings.

Anyway, it is what it is and it did make for a dramatic season. Now on to a hopefully dramatic tie-breaker.

CALIFORNIA AT OAKLAND
This game should hinge on whether power pitcher Ryan (18-8, 9.8 k/9) can shut down the power bats of the Oakland A's and specifically 3-4-5 hitters Joe Rudi (.323,26,116), Reggie Jackson (.252,33,104) and Gene Tenace (.226,28,75). 21 game winner Ken Holtzman gets the call for Oakland as the A's try to beat the Angels for the third straight game. Each team won 9 games head-to-head this year. Winner gets the Yankees in the ALCS.

After both sides go quietly in the first the Angels take the lead in the second inning. Ellie Rodriguez hits a two-out double to score Leroy Stanton and stake California to a 1-0 lead. The A's get the run back in the home half as they load the bases with 1-out. Dick Green draws a walk to score 1-run. Ray Fosse singles in another and then with 2 out Bert Campanaris delivers a 2-run single. Ryan finally gets chased on an rbi single from Reggie Jackson. Dick Lange comes on and ends the bleeding but the A's torch Ryan for 6 runs and lead 6-1 after two.

It looks like it will be an easy win for the A's as Holtzman coasts through the next 3 innings but with California trailing 7-2 the Angels string together a few base hits in the 7th and plate 3 runs to chase Holtzman. Rollie Fingers comes on to get the final out of the 7th but the Oakland lead is down to 7-5.

Fingers retires the Angels in order in the 8th and after Oakland fails to score in the bottom of the inning, the mustachioed closer attempts to make it a 7 out save. Paul Schaal gives the Angels hope as he leads off the 9th with a double, the first hit allowed by Fingers in the game.

The Angels have the top of the order in Mickey Rivers at the plate with Rivers representing the tying run. Fingers strikes out Rivers but is clearly running out of gas so the A's call on Catfish Hunter to close out the game. Hunter, normally a starter, was 19-12 on the season. He gets Bobby Valentine to ground out so Dave Chalk becomes the Angels final hope. Chalk works Hunter to a 2-2 count but flails and misses at a curveball to end the game.

Oakland advances to face the New York Yankees, keeping the Athletics hope of a third straight World Series title alive. Bert Campanaris, who had 3 hits including a 2-run single in the A's big second inning, was named player of the game.

Nolan Ryan fanned 3 but lasted just 1 and 2/3 innings, giving up 5 hits, walking 3 and allowing 6 earned runs.
Attached Images
Old 03-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #44
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

DODGERS-YANKEES WORLD SERIES

The 1974 World Series will feature a pair of old post-season rivals as the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Yankees advanced to the Fall Classic after winning their respective League Championship Series.

The Yankees had surprisingly little trouble with the Oakland A's, sweeping the Athletics in 3 games while the Dodgers needed 4 games to dispose of the Pittsburgh Pirates in the NLCS.

The Yankees took the ALCS opener 4-2 thanks to a bases loaded triple from Graig Nettles in the bottom of the second. Nettles would also score on a Jim Mason ground out to account for all of the New York runs. The A's scored both of their runs in the top of the second off of Yankee starter Doc Medich. Medich allowed just 5 hits while fanning 8 over 7 innings for the win with Sparky Lyle pitching the final two innings to earn a save.

Lyle got the win in Game Two despite pitching just 1/3 of an inning as the Yankees scored twice in the bottom of the 8th and won 5-3. The series shifted to Oakland and Game Three was a tremendous pitching duel between Mel Stottlemyre and Catfish Hunter. It was tied 1-1 until the Yankees scored twice in the top of the 12th off of Rollie Fingers, who pitched 4 innings in relief of Hunter. Gene Michael was the hero with a triple to plate the winning runs. Stottlemyre went the distance, allowing 7 hits and just the 1 run over 12 innings.

Series MVP honours went to Chris Chambliss as the Yankee first baseman hit .417 with a .462 obp in the ALCS.

The Los Angeles Dodgers would shutout the Pittsburgh Pirates in all 3 of their NLCS wins. Game One and Game Two ended in identical 3-0 scores for the home side. Doug Rau pitched a 3-hit shutout in the opener as Bill Buckner's 3-run homer in the third accounted for all of the LA runs off of Pirates starter Dock Ellis. Don Sutton went the distance in the second game, beating Jerry Reuss. Jimmy Wynn homered for the Dodgers in the win and drove in a pair of runs.

First inning homeruns by Dave Parker and Richie Hebner helped the Pirates stay alive with a Game Three victory that took 12 innings. Pittsburgh led 5-0 after two but the Dodgers tied the game with a 5-run outburst in the sixth inning. Hebner broke the tie with his third hit of the game, an rbi walk-off single in the 12th.

The series would end the next day as Tommy John tossed a 4-hit complete game shutout and the Dodgers won 2-0, handing Jerry Reuss his second loss of the series. No one really stood out for the Dodgers as it was a complete team effort but series MVP honours went to John for his performance in the deciding game.
Attached Images
Old 03-31-2018, 07:39 AM   #45
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1974 WORLD SERIES

The Dodgers and Yankees will be meeting in the World Series for the ninth time but it is their first matchup in over a decade. It is also just the second matchup since the Dodgers left Brooklyn for Los Angeles. Here is a look at past World Series results between the two clubs.

Code:

YANKEES-DODGERS POST SEASON HISTORY
1941 World Series: Yankees defeat Dodgers, 4–1
1947 World Series: Yankees defeat Dodgers, 4–3
1949 World Series: Yankees defeat Dodgers, 4–1
1952 World Series: Yankees defeat Dodgers, 4–3
1953 World Series: Yankees defeat Dodgers, 4–1
1955 World Series: Dodgers defeat Yankees, 4–3
1956 World Series: Yankees defeat Dodgers, 4–3
1963 World Series: Dodgers defeat Yankees, 4–0
Attached Images
Old 03-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #46
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1974 WORLD SERIES: GAME ONE

The weather played havoc with the World Series opener as the two teams were forced to contend with a pair of lengthy rain delays. With the rains, the game took well over five hours to complete but the Yankee fans that showed up at Shea Stadium left happy as the home side drew first blood in the series with a 5-2 victory.
Attached Images
Old 03-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #47
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Very nice presentation. The 1974 Yankees were a team I lived and died for. Hard to remember when the Yankees were underdogs, but after the 1960s mediocrity, and the trial run of 1972 which was 99% Sparky Lyle (does anyone else remember that when we got Celerino Sanchez, Yankees fans chanted "de-fense ! de-fense" at the Stadium that year?), we suddenly were in first place on September 1 in 1974. Then came that awful three-game series with Baltimore, George Scott's game-winning hit for Milwaukee on the last day of the season, and ...wait till 1976. But it is nice to think about what might have happened had just three games gone differently that year. Thanks.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:54 PM   #48
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1974 WORLD SERIES: GAME TWO
The Los Angeles Dodgers even the series with a 4-2 win on the road. LA got things started early with a pair of runs in the first inning and one more in the second. The Yankees had runners on first and second with 1 out in the bottom of the ninth but Al Downing retired pinch-hitter Bill Sudakis and Thurman Munson to end the game and make a winner out of Doug Rau. Rau allowed 2 runs and 6 hits over 7 innings. Pat Dobson went the distance and took the loss for the Yankees.
Attached Images
Old 03-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #49
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1974 WORLD SERIES: GAME THREE

The Series shifts to the west coast and the Dodgers take a 2 games to one series lead with a 2-1 victory in Game Three. Andy Messersmith allowed just 5 hits over 7 and a third before giving way to Mike Marshall, who got the final five outs. Mel Stottlemyre pitched very well for the Yankees, but took the loss after allowing 2 runs on 4 hits.

Both Dodger runs came on rbi singles from Bill Russell, who drove in Willie Crawford with both scores. Russell and Crawford each had 2 hits. Craig Nettles singled in Bobby Murcer in the top of the fourth for New York's only run.
Attached Images
Old 03-31-2018, 11:26 PM   #50
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1974 WORLD SERIES: GAME FOUR

Manny Mota delivered a pinch-hit walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the tenth inning to lift the Los Angeles Dodgers to a come from behind 4-3 victory in Game Four. The Dodgers win gives them a commanding 3 games to one lead in the World Series.

Charlie Hough got the win in relief after pitching a scoreless 9th and 10th innings. The Yankees led 3-2 heading into the bottom of the ninth. However, Sparky Lyle allowed a lead-off single to Davey Lopes before he was replaced by Dave Pagan. Bill Buckner greeted Pagan with a single to move Lopes to third and he scored the tying run after a Steve Garvey sacrifice fly.
Attached Images
Old 04-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #51
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1974 WORLD SERIES: GAME FIVE
DODGERS WIN THE WORLD SERIES

Davey Lopes led off Game Five of the World Series with a homerun off of New York Yankees starter Doc Medich. It would prove to be the only run of the game in an outstanding pitching duel between Medich and Don Sutton of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Medich would allow just two hits the entire game but the Yankees could not string together hits of their own and were unable to score. Sutton went the distance for the Dodgers, fanning 8 while allowing 7 New York hits.

Dodgers shortstop Bill Russell, who went 8-for-18 in the series was named the MVP.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #52
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Odd that the AI would choose Yeager as the Dodgers' DH. Yeager was known as the better defensive catcher (though not by a lot) and with him DH-ing it would've left LA without a backup catcher (unless little-used Gail Hopkins or Kevin Pasley was also on the playoff roster, which would seem unlikely). Seems like Manny Mota would've been the better choice.

Curious as to how many regular-season appearances Mike Marshall had...
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #53
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Odd that the AI would choose Yeager as the Dodgers' DH. Yeager was known as the better defensive catcher (though not by a lot) and with him DH-ing it would've left LA without a backup catcher (unless little-used Gail Hopkins or Kevin Pasley was also on the playoff roster, which would seem unlikely). Seems like Manny Mota would've been the better choice.

Curious as to how many regular-season appearances Mike Marshall had...
I remember thinking as well during one of the games it was odd they would use a catcher as the DH, especially as you said with Manny Mota available. Hopkins was on the roster but not Pasley.

As for Marshall he was no where near the 100 odd games he pitched in real life. He appeared in 59 games, pitching 84 innings. Was 7-6 with 19 saves and a 2.04 era. K'd 46 while walking 26.

Mac Scarce of the Phillies led the majors with 70 appearances in the game. Marshall's 59 was tied with Sparky Lyle for 14th on the list.

Marshall's 19 saves topped the NL but tied him for 4th overall with Bill Campbell of the Twins. Yankees Lyle led with 24, Fingers had 23 and Skip Lockwood of the Angels ended with 22.

In real life Marshall topped the NL with 21 saves, 3 behind Terry Forster of the White Sox for the MLB lead. Forster had 16 in the sim.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #54
clamel
All Star Starter

Great "story".
Brought back many memories from the time I fell in love with baseball.

Got over the pond from Europe 1973 to attend university in Los Angeles. My first ever encounter with baseball was Dodgers vs Expos that summer. I got hooked.
Can you believe I never heard of World Series before coming to US. Actually stuff like "The shot that was heard around the world" (Bobby Thomson 1951 HR blast) wasn't heard at all I believe.

Sad I never got my Dodgers as far as in your setup. Some visits to the WS but losing them was the best.

Subscribing to The Sporting News when I got back to Europe helped me keep in touch with the game in those "Dark Ages" prior to Internet. Strat-O-Matic helped some too of course. Not much was broadcasted on TV until mid 90's. WS was on since 87 I think but not any other games.

This is why I play most historical to bring back all those players from 70's and onwards.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote