Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Inside the Ropes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

TBCB Inside the Ropes Your game and fantasy fights

Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #141
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Manassa Mauler Makes Debut

Date: April 4, 1914. The scene: Denver, Colorado. The pro debut of the much heralded youngster, 18-year old HW prospect Jack Dempsey. After several amateur fights (brawls) throughout the cow-towns of Colorado he's ready for the big time, taking on stiff Bud Pressler in his first pro bout. Pressler, who lost by TKO his first time out, is expected to be nothing more than cannon fodder for the young Dempsey.

The bell sounds for round one and Dempsey comes out fast, looking for the knockout. Pressler holds him off for the first minute, but resistance is futile as the youngster breaks through with a series of combinations that sends Pressler reeling. A clean uppercut then puts Pressler on the canvas for the first time. Less than a minute left in the round, Dempsey's killer instinct kicks in, but he can't finish Pressler. On to round two.

Round two, the bells sounds and it's more of the same. An aggressive Dempsey is all over Pressler, non-stop action. Pressler can't get out of the way of the punches. Two-third of the way through the round he is caught off balance, and Dempsey nails him with a big left. Pressler goes down and this time he does not get up. Jack Dempsey by KO at 2:46 of round 2.

Dempsey's record is now 1-0 (1) and he has 241 pp.
JCWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #142
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Dempsey Fights in St. Louis

Dateline: St Louis, MO June 13, 1914 -- Jack Dempsey, the teenage sensation "Manassa Mauler" from Colorado, is appearing in his second pro fight as the opening bout for a star-studded card in St Louis, featuring the NABF Welterweight title bout between Packey McFarland and Willie Lewis, along with such other ring luminaries as Stanley Ketchel (in his final bout), Frankie Neil (also his final bout), unbeaten HW contender Jess Willard (now ranked in the Top 10), the "Pottawatamie Giant," "Human Windmill" Harry Greb, LWs "Knockout" Brown and Joe Shugrue, to name a few.

Dempsey' opponent for this four-round tilt is Nick Francis, who will be making his pro debut. Like Dempsey, Francis is a slugger who likes to mix it up, so we should see an entertaining bout.

Bell sounds for round one and Dempsey charges out, scoring early with a big hook that lands. Francis, instead of retreating, decides to mix it up, and gets in a big right hand on Dempsey's jaw. This seems to make Jack even more agitated, and he nails an unsteady Francis will a big cross for the fight's first knockdown with less than a minute left in the round. A wobbly Francis regains his footing and survives the onslaught.

Round two, and Dempsey comes out looking to finish his man. He lands a crushing uppercut, followed by anothe uppercut and a series of blows. Francis is taking alot of punishment, but he remains upright until late in the round a combination of blows puts him down on the canvas for the second time. This time, he can't beat the count and it goes down as a KO for Dempsey at 2:42 of Round 2.

Dempsey's record stands at 2-0 (2 KOs) and 283 pp.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #143
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

July 1914 USBA MW Title Bout

Had another one of those spectacular two-way action bouts such that the report couldn't wait until the regular year-end summary. This is based on notes from earlier today, and it probably won't be as complete as the WBA title bout posts (see Post 140 above as an example), but hopefully I can embellish it enough to give the flavor of the really see-saw nature of this encounter.

At stake was the USBA MW Title Belt held since August 1913 by George "Knockout" Brown. Brown was defending against perennial Top 10 contender Eddie McGoorty on the top feature on the undercard to the WBA WW title bout featuring long time champ Jack Britton (for details on that one, you will just have to wait until the year-end report). It was Brown's first defense of the belt after two failed efforts to move up and capture the WBA MW title. McGoorty, who held the USBA belt very briefly in the 1911-12 time frame, has had a miserable time of it in title bouts, going 1-7 in eight previous efforts.

Brown starts out by establishing position on the inside and compiles an early lead in the first few rounds. In round 3, he nails McGoorty with a huge cross, and Eddie is forced to cover up but manages to stay on his feet. More action near the end of round 5, when McGoorty rallies to land a series of blows that stagger Brown. However, Brown has got in enough shots of his own in such that McGoorty's left eye is starting to swell up as early as round 6 of this scheduled 12-rounder. Round 7, McGoorty comes through to land a strong shot that surprises Brown, sending him to the canvas for a 9-count. An offense-minded McGoorty follows up with a strong 8th round, after which swelling is apparent around the right eye of Brown. Round 9, Brown recovers to launch an attack of his own, felling McGoorty with a series of blows to put the challenger on the canvas. Brown follows up with a second KD later in the round, but McGoorty gets up again and manages to stay upright until the bell sounds. Round 10, and both men are going all out, looking for the knockout. McGoorty gets there first, landing another strong shot to put Brown down for the count of 9. Brown gets back up, but McGoorty is all over him, reigning blow after blow until the ref steps in. Eddie McGoorty wins the USBA MW title via a TKO stoppage in round 10.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #144
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Dempsey Saga Continues at Cow Palace

Jack appears in his third pro bout August 8, 1914 at SF's famed Cow Palace. He heads West to face rugged Artie Detmer, who at 0-3 has yet to taste success in the pro ranks. Jack steps up a bit in distance, as this is a scheduled six-rounder (his first two were scheduled for four, as if it ever became an issue).

Dempsey charges out at the bell and less than a minute into the fight, he lands a short clean combination that drops Dettmer to the canvas. Artie is up at the count of one, and he tries to beat a hasty retreat as the Manassa Mauler presses forward. After a minute or so of evasive tactics, Dettmer finds he can run but he can't hide as Dempsey corners him on the ropes. Jack lands a series of perfect punches and Dettmer offers no resistance as he slides down in a heap. The ref counts him out at 2:32 of the first. It's a first round KO for Jack Dempsey.

After this bout, Dempsey's record stands at 3-0 (3) with 317 pp.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:56 PM   #145
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Dempsey Back in Action

October 3, 1914 -- Mammoth Gardens, Denver CO:

"Manassa Mauler" Jack Dempsey returns to the ring in a 6-round prelim bout on the undercard of the Mike Gibbons World MW Title Bout. This time Jack returns to his native Colorado to face TC Scott Gleason, whose 1-3 mark includes one win by kayo, so Jack had better be on guard.

Dempsey rushes out at the opening bell, once again looking for a quick KO. He pins the hapless Gleason in the corner and then lands a picture-perfect cross. Gleason goes down in a heap and is counted out. Dempsey wins by KO at just 1:06 of the first round, his quickest win so far.

The win boosts Dempsey's record to 4-0 (all by KO, all in two rounds or less). He has a total of 352 pp now. Word of his prowess has spread far and wide, he is becoming a big gate attraction, and already he has been contracted for his next bout, just a month away in November.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #146
Lee
Global Moderator

Really enjoying the spotlight on Dempsey, think you should add this as a regular feature for one new Fighter a year....
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:44 PM   #147
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Lee

One of the aspects of this game I enjoy is watching a "new" fighter start out and build up a record, even if it is against those stiffs -- originally they were called "Trial Horses" now they are just Tomato Cans. I will probably stay with this format for Dempsey at least until he reaches the point where he challenges for a title. At that point I might switch to some other up and comer, I know Gene Tunney is set to debut in 1915.

Once again, sorry to hear about the problems with your Uni and the dreaded No Rating Record bug. I had a similar problem about a year ago, around the 1903-1904 years in my Uni and I finally worked my way through it, mostly by copying the ratings by hand from the default database for those active boxers whom I wanted to keep track of -- as I recall, it took about two weeks and alot a of frustration before everything was back to normal, and that's when I started religiously making those backups.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #148
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Ansell Debut Makes Debut as first 20th Century Boxer

Pleased to announce a major landmark in my Uni with the debut of the first boxer born in the 20th Century. It's Ansell Bell, a FW born in Panama, who debuted in Nov. 1914 (won via TKO in the 2nd round). He was born in Oct. 1900, which of course makes him one of the youngest fighters ever. (I have Leo Houck starting at 13, and I've read that Len Harvey started out real young, like 12 or 13).

Looks like I am making progress though, having got to the point I am less than one century behind!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #149
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWeb View Post
Pleased to announce a major landmark in my Uni with the debut of the first boxer born in the 20th Century. It's Ansell Bell, a FW born in Panama, who debuted in Nov. 1914 (won via TKO in the 2nd round). He was born in Oct. 1900, which of course makes him one of the youngest fighters ever. (I have Leo Houck starting at 13, and I've read that Len Harvey started out real young, like 12 or 13).

Looks like I am making progress though, having got to the point I am less than one century behind!
Wow, that is young. Paul Poirier, who actualy has posted on our board, began boxing as a pro at 15 I believe.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #150
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Another Young-Un

Turns out Ansell Bell was not the only 14-year old to debut in my Uni in the simulated Nov. 1914 month. Later in the month, Frank Moody, a UK Middleweight also born in 1900 won a three-round TKO to kick off his pro career, too.

Regarding other real life fighters to start off real young, I think several great Hispanic fighters, like Roberto Duran, Wilfredo Benitez and Julio Cesar Chavez had their initial pro bouts at either 15 or 16. The only reason many of today's boxers turn pro at a later age (generally) is because of a desire to stay in the amateur ranks and try for the Olympic team, which of course wasn't an option back in the early 1900s.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #151
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Dempsey Rolls On

November 28, 1914 -- Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis -- Jack Dempsey, the hottest new property in the HW division these days, returned to the ring in a 6-round preliminary bout to the Jack Dillon-Battling Levinsky LH title clash. This time, the "Manassa Mauler" was paired with an opponent with somewhat of a reputation for a chin. Anthony Olney, a trial horse with a 0-2-2 career mark, had never been stopped and thus was thought to be a bit of a step up in class compared to the stiffs Jack had been thumping in his four prior bouts.

Ding! Bell sounds for round one and again Dempsey is in his opponent's face, looking to end it early. He scores with a lead right but Olney stands his ground. A couple of more strong shots by Dempsey land late in the round, but Olney is still standing as the bell sounds to end round one.

Second round, Dempsey tries to crowd his defensive-minded opponent who tries his best to stay away. He succeeds until late in his round until Dempsey stuns him with a mammoth blow. However, Olney does not go down and thus becomes the first of Jack's opponents to survive round two, although by now Dempsey has a massive points lead.

Round three, first time Dempsey has had to go this far and he once again comes out looking for the kill. Olney again tries to keep his distance but halfway through the round he runs into a strong combination that puts him on the canvas. He pops up quickly, perhaps too quickly, and Dempsey swarms all over him, following up wiht a vicious uppercut that sends Olney down for the count. KO at 2:12 of the third for Dempsey's fifth successive win, all inside the distance.

Dempsey is now 5-0 (5) with 386 pp. His reputation is such that the fans are clamoring for another match soon, and he will oblige with another bout before the end of 1914, his first at the Pre-Prime career stage.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #152
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

Dempsey Makes It Six Straight at Cow Palace in SF

Dec. 19, 1914 -- Cow Palace, San Francisco, CA -- Exciting newcomer Jack Dempsey, aka "The Manassa Mauler" brings his five-bout unbeaten string back to San Francisco and the Cow Palace, on the undercard of a FW title bout between Abe Attell and Johnny Kilbane (won't tell you which title is up for grabs, have to wait for the year-end FW report). His opponent is veteran Trial Horse, Gene Lancaster, whose 0-7-1 record is indicative of the fact that he has taken his lumps (along with numerous trips to the canvas) against the top new talent in the HW division in recent years. Lancaster's suspect chin should be an inviting target for Dempsey, who has ended all his previous bouts inside the distance. Jack, now at Pre-Prime career stage, steps up to the 8-round distance for the first time but stamina should not be an issue as the pundits predict another KO victory for the hot young heavyweight prospect.

Dempsey rushes out from the bell, looking for another quick KO victory. Lancaster backs up and stays a way for a minute, but then Jack finds the range with a straight right to set up Lancaster for a devastating cross. Gene slumps to the canvas and is counted out without flinching a muscle. Dempsey wins again, by KO at 1:57 of the first. It is the third time he has finished an opponent in the first round.

Jack's record for his debut year is an impressive 6-0, all wins by knockouts, with a total of 408 pp. Now at Pre-Prime, he will be taking a bit of time off before being scheduled for his next bout, some time in February of 1915.

(As you may have noticed by the dateline, just a few more bouts to go to finish up 1914 action -- expect the year-end reports to commence in a day or so.)
Old 11-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #153
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1914-Heavyweights Part I

Here's the first of the year-end reports, an interesting year which saw many World title belts change hands, some more than once.

1914 HW Title Bouts

WBA

Sam Langford CH (44-5-1) vs Joe Jeannette #1 (37-4)

This will be Langford's 10th title defense. Jeannette handed Langford his last defeat, some seven years earlier, but Langford has won two more recent meetings (both WBA title bouts).

Langford looks sharp early, takes the first round easily. The Boston Tar Baby tries to work inside in round two, but Jeannette is able to control the action from the outside. Round three features some lively exchanges, and Langford (again working on the inside) has the better of it. After an even fourth round, Jeannette takes charge in fourth, banging shots to the head and body, forcing Langford against the ropes. Jeannette follows up in round six, stepping up the pace and inflicting so much punishment that the bout is stopped with Langford literally out on his feet. Jeannette is the new World Champ by TKO 6.

Joe Jeannette CH (38-4) vs William Hague (18-10)

"Iron" Hague, the GBU titleholder, is not even ranked in the Top 20 and figures to provide little opposition for the much classier Jeannette. Jeannette comes into the bout riding a five-bout win streak.

Jeannette dances around the ring, dominating the early action as Hague tries to get his bearings. Jeannette effective mixes up an outside and inside attack, leaving Hague and his vocal British supporters befuddled. Hague, clearly outclassed, desperately tries for a knockout, which leaves him vulnerable to a Jeannette cross which puts him on the canvas in round six. Hague pops up quickly, perhaps too quickly, and Jeannette puts him down again, opening up a cut over the right eye. A game Hague is back on his feet, but the ref steps in quickly to save him from further punishment. Jeannette by TKO 6 in a one-sided affair.

Joe Jeannette CH (39-4) vs Harry Wills #6 (18-0)

Jeannette, 35, takes on the young, unbeaten prospect Wills, who may be a bit overmatched at this point in his career. Wills has been impressive thus far, winning 17 of his 18 bouts inside the distance.

Wills, "The Black Panther," holds his own as the two spar in the first few rounds. Wills mixes it up fighting inside and outside, but in round four Jeannette stands him up with a stiff jab, but Wills counters with a nice uppercut near the end of the round. The bout opens up in round 5 as both men go toe-to-toe on the inside, Jeannette getting the better of it. After a few lacklustre rounds, Wills connects with a strong hook near the end of round 9. Stamina plays a role as Jeannette wears down the younger man in the later rounds. Finally, in round 14, Jeannette lands a hook and Wills is down for the first time ever in his pro career. The KD in the 14th cinches the win for Jeannette, although Wills did well to keep the scores reasonably close. Jeannette by UD 15 (144-140, 144-142, 143-141).

Joe Jeannette CH (40-4) vs Tommy Burns #2 (43-9-3)

Jeannette is looking to avenge a loss to Burns in early 1912.

Jeannette dances around the ring, landing at will to take round one. He stays on the outside for the most part, effectively countering the slower Burns and building a big points lead by taking four of the first five rounds. Burns tries to get more aggressive in the middle rounds, but it just gets Tommy in more trouble as he is caught off guard by a Jeannette uppercut in round 7 that sends him to the canvas. Burns can't get up, so it goes as a KO 7 for Jeannette.

NABF: Tommy Burns did not defend this belt in 1914, look for a mandatory defense in early 1915.

USBA: By contrast, there were four USBA title tilts in 1914. First, Sam McVey met Denver Ed Martin for the vacant belt, previously held by Jeannette (vacated when he took the WBA title from Langford). McVey made a great start, dominating from the opening bell and Martin could not recover, McVey finishing him off with a KO 3 to take the belt. He then defended against Frank Moran, the Pittsburgh Dentist and one of the strong "Great White Hopes" of the era. Moran tries unsuccessfully to outslug McVey, and a strong uppercut in round 5 is followed by a solid hook from McVey in round 6, putting Moran on the canvas. Moran does well to recover, but McVey dominates the bout for an easy UD 12 win (117-110 on all cards). Then it's another GWH (Great White Hope), Gunboat Smith, and another great performance by McVey who floors Smith in the fifth and ninth rounds before winning on a stoppage in the 9th. At year's end, veteran Al Kaufmann steps into the ring with McVey, but two KDs in the second round means it's just a question of time as McVey wins via TKO in the 10th despite a cut opening over his right eye.

CBU: Burns defended the belt versus ex-Champ Langford, and the action heated up in round 6 when Langford decked Burns with an overhand right. A cut opened up and bothered Burns the rest of the way, and he was down again in the 12th before the ref stopped it with just 8 seconds left. Langford by TKO 12 to take the belt. Langford then defended once, versus William "Iron" Hague, and it was over quickly as Langford blew out Hague in just 2 rounds.

GBU: Hague took on young British hope Tom Cowler, landing solid shots in a devastating round six and holding on to retain the belt in a surprisingly close UD decision (114-113 on all cards).

EBU: German Otto Flint defended the belt he won in 1913 by taking on the once beaten young Irish hope, Bartley Madden (17-1 entering the contest). Flint puts Madden on the defensive early, scoring well in the 2nd. Madden recovers to land some blows of his own, causing swelling around the right eye of Flint. Madden is forced to cover up in round 8, and he suffers some swelling of his own. The final result (a draw) seems justified, and a possible rematch in 1915 is in order. (Note on the scoring: one judge had it 116-110 for Flint, but the other two had it even, 113 all).

Last edited by JCWeb; 12-15-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #154
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1914-Heavyweights Part II

Jan 1915 Division Profile

Total Boxers: 152 RL: 78 TC: 74

RL by Career Stage:
End: 0
Prime: 33
Pre: 29
Beginner: 3 (2 new in 1915)

Rated: 58
800+: 8
500+: 16
200+: 44

Jan 1915 Rankings (Perf Pts and changes from 1914 in Parens):

Champ: Joe Jeannette 41-4 (28) (1588) (+1)
1. Sam Langford 47-6-1 (36) (1581) (-1)
2. Sam McVey 39-10-2 (26) (1182) (+2)
3. Tommy Burns 43-10-3 (31) (1174) (-1)
4. Jack Johnson 67-9-6 (50) (1144) (-1)
5. Charley Miller 21-6-2 (11) (828) (NC)
6. Frank Moran 24-8-1 (14) (809) (+1)
7. Jeff Clarke 23-6-2 (18) (804) (-1)
8. Harry Wills 18-1 (17) (776) (NC)
9. Colin Bell 19-6-3 (9) (738) (+5)
10. Gunboat Smith 20-5-1 (14) (+2)

Comments: Everyone listed at Prime, except Johnson (at Post) and Wills (one more bout at Pre). Jeannette, Langford and McVey form the troika atop the HW ranks right now, and Wills is perhaps the only fighter right now with the talent to break through and challenge them. Jeannette has emerged on top after having won his last eight, unbeaten in both 1913 and 1914 against mostly top flight competition. Langford recovered from the loss of the WBA belt with wins against Burns and Hague (for the CBU belt) and also Jeff Clarke, now a fixture in the #6-10 ranked category. McVey went 4-0 in 1914 but has yet to prove he can handle the likes of Jeannette and Langford. Burns has once again hit a snag, with successive losses to Langford and Jeannette in title bouts. Jack Johnson went over two years without a victory before his most recent win over Colin Bell; he was held to draws by Moran and Clarke. Miller somehow manages to stay in the Top 5 despite a strong resume; he lost twice in 1914 to Wills and Dillon, the LH champ, yet he keeps his ranking. Moran registered KOs versus Kennedy and Palzer and drew with Jack Johnson, while Clarke defeated Al Kaufmann but was TKO'd by Langford. Wills registered TKOs over Palzer and Miller before losing to Jeannette for the title; he has not fought since then. Colin Bell moved into the top ten on the strength of a UD win over LH champ, Jack Dillon. Gunboat Smith had won five in a row (including KOs versus John L Johnson and the retiring Denver Ed Martin) before losing to McVey for the USBA belt.

Other Notables: Jess Willard debuts at #11, just missing the top ten due to his first career loss to Bartley Madden. He rebounded with a TKO 2 over fellow prospect John Lester Johnson and his record is now 18-1 (14 KOs). Madden debuts at #12, going 5-1-1 in 1914, recovering from his first loss to Jim Barry with a KO 7 of fellow Irishman Jim Coffey, plus the UD over Willard and a draw in the EBU title clash described above. Otto Flint dropped four spots to #13, suffering consecutive losses to Burns and Willard, although he did look good in TKOing Arthur Pelkey. The EBU Champ has compiled a 17-2-2 (14) career mark, with 604 pp. Denver Ed Martin, who held down the #10 spot, retired. John Lester Johnson debuts at #15, despite the two losses to Smith and Willard that spoiled what had been a perfect 15-0 career start. Al Palzer, who started the year unbeaten at 15-0-2, couldn't handle Top 10 competition, dropping three straight to Wills, Moran and Miller; he is now ranked 16th. Veteran Al Kaufmann had a bit of a resurgence, with successive KO wins over Horn, Rodel and Moir, but lost his try for the USBA belt and will hit Post-Prime in 1915, his retirement year. Mention should also be made of GBU champ William Hague, who checks in at #21 with a 18-12 (11) mark, and 399 pp.

Prospects: Billy Miske and Bill Brennan top the list of those expected to make their ratings debut in 1915. Miske has compiled a 14-0 (10) record, including a UD 10 over Charley Weinert and a TKO 9 over Al Benedict, among others. Brennan has been even more impressive, going 13-0 (11), with only Bill Tate and Canadian TC Kent Hibdon lasting the distance. Brit Charlie Penwill is 10-1 (6), all wins versus TCs and the one loss coming versus Swede Ragnar Holmberg. Al Reich is 10-1 (7), his only loss coming on all technical decision, all wins versus TC opposition only. Best of the newer guys is Fred Fulton, at 9-0 (6) and, of course, the well-chronicled 6-0 (6) start for Jack Dempsey. Charley Weinert started off with 11 straight wins but then ran into Tate and Miske, dropping decisions to both.

Retirements:

Denver Ed Martin (USA) 1899-1914 30-24-3 (24) No Titles highest rank: 6
Bill Squires (AUS) 1902-1914 27-23-1 (20) CBU Title highest rank: 9

Denver Ed Martin was one of the toughest draws in the division, and he was unlucky to not win one of the lesser belts (coming up against guys like Jeffries, Burns and Jack Johnson, then later Langford and Jeannette, there simply wasn't room for another titleholder in the picture). "Boshter Bill" Squires was an entertaining boxer who, win or less, always gave the fans a good show.

Looking Ahead: Go back to last year's prediction about bringing Wills along slowly, yet he was rushed into a World title bout before hitting his Prime. Well, next year he hits his Prime, but expect to see a more realistic goal, such as a challenge for the NABF or USBA belt, in the offing. Even past his prime, Jack Johnson is still a dangerous opponent and could walk away with another title if given a shot. Jess Willard should work his way into the Top 10, and look for newcomers such as Bill Brennan and Billy Miske to make some noise. Irishmen Madden and Coffey are knocking on the door, and Aussie Colin Bell, "the Moree Mountain," has been a surprise in working his way into the Top 10. Dempsey, of course, will continue working his way through a parade of stiffs -- stay tuned to see how long that KO streak stays intact. Newcomers in 1915 will be Agile Andre Anderson and Bud Gorman.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #155
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1914-Light Heavyweight Part I

1914 LH Title Bouts

WBA

Jack Dillon CH (26-1-3) vs Howard Morrow #9 (17-6-1)

After a successful foray into the HW ranks (defeating Charley Miller), Dillon makes his first defense of 1914 against Morrow, whom he defeated two years earlier. Morrow has won his last two, including a KO 6 thrashing of vet Charlie Haghey.

Dillon takes an early lead in round one, then moves inside to apply more pressure on a surprisingly defense-minded Morrow. Dillon's aggressiveness pays off, as he builts a large points lead. By round 6, there is swelling around the right eye of Morrow as Jack "The Giant Killer" continues to apply pressure. Morrow tries to be more aggressive in the later rounds, but Dillon's defense is too strong. He catches Morrow with a shot in the 14th for the fight's only KD, and it is a lopsided UD 15 win for Dillon.

Jack Dillon CH (27-2-3) vs Battling Levinsky #6 (23-5)

First meeting of the two -- Dillon comes off a stinging defeat at the hands of Aussie HW, Colin Bell. This is Levinsky's first try for the WBA title after very mixed results at the lower NABF and USBA levels.

Both men start out on the outside, and there is not much action in the first few rounds. Dillon steps up the attack by moving inside in round three, but it is another dull round where Levinsky's defense prevails. Both men mix it up on the inside in the fourth, and Levinsky comes away with a split lip. Dillon traps Levinsky in the corner in round five, landing enough to take the round. The middle rounds see the momentum gradually swing to the Champ, but Levinsky is holding his own and keeping the bout close. Levinsky steps up the attack in rounds 12-14, but his punches lack sting. Surprisingly, one judge has it for Levinsky but Dillon keeps the belt with a SD 15 verdict (144-141, 141-144, 144-141).

NABF: Jack "Twin" Sullivan starts the year with the belt he has held since early 1912. He takes on Levinsky, who dominates the action in the early rounds as Sullivan cannot seem to get on track. Then, a bad break for Levinsky, he's called for a flagrant low blow in round 11 and disqualified when leading on all three cards! Sullivan, who by now is in Post-Prime, is still vulnerable, and in his next outing, he looks slow and ineffective versus Leo Houck, who claims the NABF belt for the fourth time via a UD 12 (117-112 on all three cards). Houck defends against Bob McAllister, the newly crowned USBA champ who stuns Houck by putting him on the canvas twice, in the fourth and seventh rounds, registering a UD 12 victory.

USBA: Aging vet Philadelphia Jack O'Brien defends against Tommy Gibbons, who decks O'Brien in the 9th round in a solid effort to lift the belt via a UD 12. Gibbons then defends against McAllister, who looks impressive and takes advantage of a gash above Gibbons' right eye that becomes too much to overcome. McAllister by TKO 8 (cut). McAllister vacates the belt after winning the NABF title, and Larry Williams (14-3) meets Charles Grande (12-3) for the vacant belt. It's a close bout but two late KDs in round 10 make the difference as Grande takes a UD 12 verdict.

CBU: Dave Smith accepts a challenge from newly-crowned GBU champ Harry Reeve, whom he catches for a KD in round 6 and then, in exciting toe-to-toe action, decks Reeve for the count in round 7 to keep the title he won in late 1912.

GBU: Harry Reeve ends the reign on the last of the TC champions, Chuck Carrick, with a dominating performance including three knockdowns culminating in a TKO in round 5.

EBU: Carpentier, still seeking the elusive title bout with Dillon, takes on Reeve for the EBU belt, breaking open after some close action in the early rounds, gradually pulling ahead in rounds 6 and 7 wiht a couple of knockdowns that result in a TKO 8 win for Carpentier in his first defense of the EBU crown.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #156
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1914-Light Heavyweight Part II

Total: 57 RL: 27 TC: 30

RL by Career Stage:
End: 2
Prime: 7
Pre: 11
Beginning: 5 (3 New)

Rated: 21
800+: 3
500+: 13
200+: 17

Jan 1915 Ratings List (Perf Pts and Changes from 1914 in Parens):

Champ: Jack Dillon 28-2-3 (15) (818) (NC)
1. Georges Carpentier 25-1 (20) (974) (+1)
2. Bob McAllister 23-4-1 (16) (865) (+1)
3. Leo Houck 31-13-4 (11) (674) (+3)
4. Bob Sweeney 15-2 (11) (633) (new)
5. Jack Sullivan 41-24 (19) (630) (-4)
6. Tommy Gibbons 15-2-1 (9) (606) (new)
7. Battling Levinsky 23-6 (13) (596) (-2)
8. Frank Farmer 13-3-1 (8) (565) (new)
9. Phila Jack O'Brien 61-11-3 (27) (564) (-5)
10. Dave Smith 21-6 (18) (516) (-3)

Comments: "Twin" Sullivan and Phila Jack at Post, all three newcomers (Sweeney, Gibbons and Farmer) still at Pre, rest at Prime. Dillon's perf pts rating was hurt by his loss to HW Colin Bell. Carpentier has won his last 8 bouts, the most recent being a TKO 4 blowout of veteran Sullivan; he also won a SD over Levinsky and a UD over Gibbons in addition to his defense of the EBU belt. McAllister went 3-0 for the year, sweeping the USBA and NABF belts after a surprising KO 1 demolition of CBU champ Dave Smith to start the year. Houck won and then lost the NABF title, but he remains a top contender. Sweeney debuts at #4, going 4-1 for the year despite a loss to Levinsky; he scored KO wins over Lloyd, Grande and Haghey but has yet to prove himself against top-flight contenders. Sullivan has lost three in a row after getting past Levinsky on a foul. Tommy Gibbons won and lost the USBA belt, scored a UD win over Morrow but lost to Carpentier in an up and down year, his first in the Top 10. Levinsky was the hard luck fighter, losing the NABF title clash on a foul and also losing two split dukes (to Dillon and Carpentier), his only win in 1914 coming against Sweeney. Farmer surprised everyone with a shocking KO 3 of O'Brien to move into the top 10. O'Brien's star is fading, although he did register wins over Siki, Sullivan and Dave Smith sandwiched by losses to Farmer and Gibbons. Aussie CBU champ Smith had a 1-2 year, losing to McAllister (via KO) and O'Brien (via UD).

Other Notables: New USBA champ Charles Grande debuts at #11, with a 13-3 (6) mark and 513 pp. Next at #12 is the man he defeated for the USBA title, Larry Williams, with a 14-4 (10) career record thus far. GBU champ Harry Reeve checks in at #13 with a 13-4 (10) record, and 351 pp. Clay Turner debuts at #14, with an 11-4 (0) mark. Aussie Albert Lloyd is another newcomer, also 11-4 (7 KOs) who has had trouble once he got past TC opposition. Out of the Top 10 were Howard Morrow, who slid seven spots to #16, suffering two losses to Dillon and Gibbons that have put him behind the newcomers. Aging vets John Wille (down seven spots to #17) and Charlie Haghey (down 10 to #18) are both at End career stage and unlikely to regain Top 10 status.

Prospects: Battling Siki, at 13-1 (9) remains the top prospect, one bout short of making the ratings list. He scored wins over Wille and Lloyd but faltered in his only try versus a top opponent, ex-HW and LH champ Phila Jack O'Brien. Kid Norfolk at 6-0 (4) and Mike McTigue at 5-0 (5) have shown in their initial year against TC opposition. But Dick Smith at 3-0-1 was held to a draw his first time out, and Chuck Wiggins is actually winless at 0-1 after dropping his debut bout to a TC opponent.

Retirement: Fred Cooley (USA) 1903-1914 26-19-1 (16) NABF, USBA Champ Highest rank: 4

Cooley, a "1"-rated boxer, made the most of his limited ability although some of his title bouts featured cuts stoppages and DQs.

Looking Ahead: A real changing of the guard at the top of the division, although the long-awaited Dillon-Carpentier title matchup has failed to materialize. Newcomers did well in 1914, with Gibbons and Grande both capturing the USBA belt while others (Sweeney and Farmer) reached the top 10. Siki should also crash the party, and he could eventually push Carpentier for the EBU belt. Look for Levinsky to overcome his bad luck and seriously contend for top honors, if not a NABF or USBA title. Three newcomers will grace the LH ranks in 1915, led by "the Fighting Marine," Gene Tunney.

Last edited by JCWeb; 11-08-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #157
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1914-Middleweights Part I

1914 MW Title Bouts

WBA

Billy Papke CH (28-3-1) vs Mike Gibbons #3 (19-3-1)

Papke is seeking to repeat his prior success (UD 10 in 1912) in an earlier bout when Gibbons was still at Pre-Prime.

Round one, Gibbons holds his own versus the Illinois Thunderbolt, and takes the round. Papke moves inside in round two and lands an uppercut to stagger the challenger late in the round. A patient Gibbons stays on the outside, awaiting his chances. After several close rounds, Papke decides to mix it up on the inside in round 5, but the St. Paul Phantom is able to hold his own and takes the lead on the punch count. In round 6, a cut opens above the right eye of the champ, and Gibbons targets the cut. After two more rounds, the cut is not yet closed, and finally in round eight it leads to a stoppage. Gibbons by TKO 8 (cut) to become the new champion.

Mike Gibbons CH (20-3-1) vs George "KO" Brown #5 (19-4-1)

Gibbons, winner of his last four, takes on Brown, whose last loss was to Papke for the title.

Gibbons starts out well by fighting on the outside, Brown moves inside and tries to be more aggressive but the St. Paul Phantom proves to be an elusive target. Brown sneaks in a hook in round five, but the pendulum swings back to Gibbons as Brown starts to tire in the second half of the bout. Gibbons hangs on the belt via UD 15 (145-142, 145-141, 147-142).

Mike Gibbons CH (21-3-1) vs Jack McCarron #4 (19-4-2)

McCarron's six-bout win streak (his victims including former champs Ketchel and Kelly) translate to a meteoric rise up the rankings and a title shot.

Gibbons looks sharp early, but McCarron rallies to keep the bout close for the first five rounds. From round 6 on, the St. Paul Phantom begins to pull ahead on points, and as the bout proceeds, McCarron is impaired by swelling around his right eye. It's a boring but effective performance as Gibbons wins again. Gibbons by UD 15 (147-142, 148-138, 147-139).

Mike Gibbons CH (22-3-1) vs Jeff Smith #1 (22-1)

Gibbons' next challenger is the reigning NABF champ, Jeff Smith. Each man comes in riding 6-bout win streaks.

Smith starts well, and Gibbons' right eye looks puffy after just one round. Smith works inside and Gibbons, fighting on the outside, can't find the range early. Frustrated, Gibbons steps up the attack in round nine, trying a more direct approach. By round 11, there is swelling around the left eye of Smith. A cut opens above Smith's left eye in round 13, and Gibbons' late surge is enough to keep the belt by a narrow SD 15 (141-144, 144-142, 144-141).

NABF: Smith defended the belt once, versus Jackie Clark, who emerged as a contender after downing the former EBU champ, Paddy Levin. Smith opens a cut below the left eye of Clark early, and keeps up the pressure, dominating a very one-sided bout en route to a UD 12 win.

USBA: After two unsuccessful bids for the WBA title, George (KO) Brown defends versus perennial contender Eddie McGoorty. This classic see-saw bout, resulting in a TKO 10 win for McGoorty, was described in post #143 above. McGoorty, after a few months' rest, returned to action against ex-champ Papke, in a bout that was close right up until the final round when McGoorty, letting it all hang out, ran into a Papke combination and the 10-8 round made it a clear UD 12 win for Papke (116-112, 116-113, 116-112).

CBU: Australian Les Darcy began the year with the belt, but was shocked when he defended versus Jake "Brooklyn Dancing Master" Ahearn, the GBU champ. Ahearn survived Darcy's best shots and was aided by a point penalty for a low blow en route to a close UD 12 decision. The win gave Ahearn his third title belt, having won the EBU and GBU belts previously.

GBU: Ahearn defended versus TC Quinton Wade, and it was a one-side affair which saw Wade cut and bleeding, and severely beaten when Ahearn administered the coup de grace with a strong combination for a 7th round KO.

EBU: Ahearn took on former champ Hugo Kelly, who was trying to regain some prominence after hitting Post-Prime career stage. Ahearn was cut early, but the turning point was round 6, when Ahearn landed a barrage of punches to put Kelly on the canvas. Ahearn went on to score a UD 12 win (115-112, 119-110, 117-110).
Old 11-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #158
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1914-Middleweights Part II

Total: 126 RL: 65 TC: 61

RL by Career Stage
End: 2
Prime: 32
Pre: 20
Beginning: 7 (5 New)

Rated: 49
800+: 5
500+: 23
200+: 43

Jan 1915 Rankings (Perf Pts and Changes from 1914 in Parens)

Champ: Mike Gibbons 23-3-1 (10) (1114) (+3)
1. Billy Papke 31-4-1 (21) (1085) (-1)
2. Jeff Smith 22-2 (12) (981) (-1)
3. Al McCoy 21-5-1 (14) (889) (+2)
4. Jack McCarron 20-5-2 (11) (810) (+9)
5. Joe Borrell 17-3-1 (12) (741) (+4)
6. George Ashe 19-1-1 (13) (733) (+11)
7. Eddie McGoorty 29-10-1 (26) (726) (+4)
8. Walter Coffey 30-12 (17) (715) (+11)
9. George Brown 20-6-1 (11) (706) (-2)
10. Al Grayber 16-4-1 (8) (670) (+12)

Comments: All the above at Prime except Coffey, who hits Post-Prime in 1915. All the above are US fighters, with Frank Mantell at #11 the top non-US fighter. A tremendous turnover as the half the top 10 changed, reflective of a very volatile situation given how close the perf pts are all the way down to #20 or so. Gibbons is unbeaten since his loss to Papke in October 1912. Papke registered wins over Mantell, Rogers and McGoorty after losing his WBA title and is a clear top contender. Jeff Smith scored an impressive two-round TKO of Darcy and defeated Burke, going 1-1 in title tilts in 1914. McCoy was 3-1 for the year, losing a SD to McCarron but KOing Borrell and Bob Moha. McCarron also went 3-1, downing ex-champ Thompson. Borrell had a busy year, going 3-2 but suffered two losses to McCoy and registered a MD over Ahearn. Ashe has won five in a row to move into contention, with KOs over Levin and Fleming. McGoorty returns to the top 10 by winning (then losing) the US title. Coffey looked good with a TKO win over Crouse but the aging effect is likely to hamper further progress. KO Brown recovered from three losses with a KO of Bill Fleming to hang in with the top group. Grayber shot up the rankings with a SD 10 over Mantell after losing on a foul to Ashe.

Other Notables: Stanley Ketchel, #2 in last year's list, retired. Mantell dropped 7 spots to #11 after losing to Papke and Grayber. Crouse dropped two to #12 after losing to Coffey. Ahearn, despite holding three belts simultaneously (GBU, CBU and EBU) is mired in ther #13 spot with a 21-3 (13) record and 650 pp; the loss to Borrell kept him out of the Top 10. Ex-champ Cyclone Johnny Thompson slid six spots to #14, and with five losses in a row and now at Post-Prime, is unlikely to rebound. Top newcomer Johnny Wilson is #15, sporting a 14-1-1 (10) record, with impressive KOs in 1914 versus Stockyards Tommy Murphy and Eddie Moha. Another ex-Champ, Joe Thomas, dropped all the way from #6 to #16 after three successive losses. Ex-CBU champ Darcy is only ranked #19, despite
snapping a five-bout winless streak to bring his record to 18-4-1 (14). In this talent-laden division, George Chip is mired at #34 and ex-champs Locke and Kelly are ranked #36 and #37, respectively.

Prospects: Happy Littleton went 6-0 in the year, blasting out Joe Eagan in one round ans scoring KO wins over Zulu Kid and Johnny Howard; his record is now 12-1 (10). The loss was Howard's first, his career mark fell to 10-1-1 (6) after the TKO 6 loss. Chic Nelson beat 10 TCs in a row and then took out Stockyards Murphy in a TKO 8 in his 11th to go 11-0 (7). Harry Greb is 10-0 (8) and looked like a future champ in downing another top unbeaten prospect, Mike O'Dowd, whose mark is now 10-1 (8). Len Rowlands has compiled a 9-0-1 (4) mark versus TCs. Silent Martin remains unbeaten at 8-0 (5), as do Bryan Downey at 6-0 (5) and Panama Joe Gans at 4-0 (3). Zulu Kid suffered the setback to Littleton and dropped to 8-2 (6).

Retirements: One of the giants of the early years of the division, Stanley Ketchel, called it quits. His career mark:

Stanley Ketchel (USA) 1903-1914 39-7-2 (22) WBA Champ 1907-09, 1910

Looking Ahead: Gibbons' rise to prominence was projected, but look for Papke to perhaps regain the WBA title. More volatility is likely, as McCoy, McCarron and Borrell all look to establish their credentials. Guys like Ashe, Brown and Grayber will be hard-pressed to maintain Top 10 status, given the quality of fighters just behind them. The crowded group near the top will make it tough for guys like Wilson and even Darcy to crack the top 10. Look for hot prospect Harry Greb to continue to make progress. Five newcomers to the ranks in 1915 will be paced by Augie Ratner and Battling Ortega.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #159
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1914-Welterweight Part I

1914 WW Title Bouts

WBA

Jack Britton CH (32-4-1) vs Willie Lewis #2 (35-16-1)

Britton won their prior meeting, a MD for the title in 1911. Lewis has recorded recent wins over Shevlin and Glover (via SD) to set up this opportunity.

Britton starts off well to take the opening stanza. Willie Lewis moves inside, starts to gain the upper hand in round 3 as there is puffiness around the right eye of the Champ. Lewis keeps up the pressure, and pulls ahead by a slight margin after the first five rounds. After an action-packed seventh, Britton connects enough to cause swelling around the left eye of Lewis. Lewis comes back with a solid round 8, and Britton shows signs of wearing down. Lewis also takes the 9th but Britton is able to turn the tide and win the 10th. Going into the late rounds, an upset is in the making, but Britton comes back to take the 13th and the result is a hard-fought draw, and Britton escapes with his belt. (143-143, 141-144, 145-141)

Jack Britton CH (32-4-2) vs Dick Nelson #5 (28-11-4)

No prior meetings. Wins over Badoud and Hurley have earned Nelson his first WBA title shot.

Britton gradually asserts himself, taking control of the bout and scoring well in the early rounds. Nelson becomes more aggressive, but the Boxing Marvel keeps him at bay. Then, in round 9, Britton is called for holding and hitting, and the result is a controversial DQ. Nelson wins via foul in the 9th.

Dick Nelson CH (29-11-4) vs Jack Britton #2 (32-5-2)

Nelson seeks to end all controversy by granting Britton an immediate rematch. Britton looks sharp early, taking the first and coming on strong in round 2. Swelling appears under the left eye of Nelson as early as round 4. Britton continues a steady stream of punches from the outside, and Nelson has no response. Britton's slick boxing skills dominate the rest of the contest enabling him to regain the title. Britton by UD 15 (148-138, 147-139, 147-138)

NABF: Packey McFarland defends versus USBA titleholder Kyle Whitney. McFarland starts well and builds an early lead, coasting to a solid UD 12 victory (118-109 on all cards). Then he takes on perennial contender Willie Lewis, who manages to keep the bout close until McFarland uncorks a huge uppercut in round 8 that has Lewis reeling. A McFarland cross in round 10 accounts for the bout's only KD and Packey retains the belt via UD 12 (115-112, 115-112, 116-111). Later in the year, Battling Bill Hurley is the challenger, and once again McFarland dominates, scoring 2 knockdowns en route to his third UD 12 verdict in a row.

USBA: Kyle Whitney had an active year, defending first versus Eddie Shevlin, in a bout where Whitney's superior stamina plus a cut over the left eye of Shevlin made the difference. Whitney by UD 12 (116-113, 118-111, 115-113). Next up was Willie Lewis, who suffered a huge gash over the right eye that caused an early stoppage -- TKO 3 for Whitney. Finally, Willie Schaeffer was the challenger, and two KDs for Whitney in round 9 sealed another UD 12 triumph.

CBU: Johnny Summers started the year with the belt, defending against new GBU champ, Ted Kid Lewis. (Summer's EBU belt and Lewis' GBU belt were not up for grabs in this tilt.) Lewis came out strongly to build a points lead while Summers could not get on track. Lewis by UD 12.

GBU: Young Joseph took on Ted Kid Lewis, who overcame an cut below the eye to pile up the pressure and take the belt, via an 11th round stoppage due to swelling. Lewis, who has blossomed as a top WW, was then matched with former GBU champ Johnny Basham, whom he turned aside through a cuts stoppage -- Lewis by TKO 5.

EBU: Summers defended twice, first against the Dane, Waldemar Holberg, whom he dominated, landing huge blows in the fourth and 10th en route to a one-sided UD 12 verdict. Then it was Frenchman Albert Badoud, in a rugged contest that was in doubt until a late knockdown in the final round sealed another UD 12 win for Summers.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #160
JCWeb
Hall Of Famer

1914-Welterweight Part II

Total: 90 RL: 45 TC: 45

RL by Career Stage:
End: 0
Prime: 26
Pre: 8
Beginning: 2 (1 New)

Rated: 36
800+: 7
500+: 16
200+: 34

Jan 1915 Rankings (Perf Pts and Changes from 1914 in Parens):

Champ: Jack Britton 33-5-2 (14) (1115) (NC)
1. Packey McFarland 30-1-2 (17) (1329) (NC)
2. Dick Nelson 29-12-4 (19) (1009) (+9)
3. Kyle Whitney 27-8-2 (14) (909) (+4)
4. Ted Kid Lewis 20-2-3 (10) (880) (NC)
5. Willie Lewis 35-18-2 (19) (859) (-3)
6. Dixie Kid 46-15-2 (20) (834) (NC)
7. Johnny Summers 36-17-3 (17) (767) (+3)
8. Matt Wells 19-8-1 (2) (723) (+10)
9. Battling Bill Hurley 33-18-7 (10) (719) (+3)
10. Waldemar Holberg 23-8 (11) (692) (-1)

Comments: All at Prime except W Lewis, who hits his retirement year in 1915. Britton slipped behind McFarland in pp points, by virtue of his loss by DQ to Nelson, and it should also cost him some spots in the year-end pound-for-pound list as well. McFarland won all four bouts in 1914, three NABF title defenses and a MD 10 over Ted Kid Lewis. Nelson shot up the rankings with a UD10 over Hurley and then the one win over Britton. Whitney was 3-1 for the year, winning his USBA title bouts with ease but faltering when he took on McFarland. Ted Kid Lewis had a 5-bout win streak going until his loss to McFarland. Willie Lewis, despite the draw with Britton, faded in the rankings and his days as a top contender are likely done. Dixie Kid went 3-1 for the year with a MD over Schaeffer and a UD over Graves, but lost to Holberg on a foul. Summers moved up by retaining the EBU belt but lost to Kid Lewis. Wells shot up the ranks with wins over Glover, Mellody and Jimmy Gardner. He was held to a draw by Shevlin. Hurley won two SDs versus Gardner and Glover but was KO'd by Nelson. Holberg suffered a TKO loss to Schaeffer to go with his DQ win over Dixie Kid.

Other Notables: Eddie Shevlin dropped one spot to #11, losing to Whitney and only managing a draw with Wells after starting off with wins over Howell and Badoud. Schaeffer checks in at #12 with a 18-5-1 (14) mark, dropping the decision to Whitney after three wins over Glover, Joseph and Holberg. Jimmy Gardner took a big tumble from #3 to #13, suffering a TKO loss to Wells and defeats against Glover and Hurley. Albert Badoud went 2-2 for the year and stands at #14 with a 17-5 (13) career mark. Glover dropped 10 spots to #15, having lost his last three to Wells, Schaeffer and Hurley. Mike Sullivan took a huge dive from #8 down to #21, going 0-3 in 1914; he has now lost 6 in a row. New to the rankings was Art Magirl, whose 14-2 (12) mark was only good for #24 after a TKO loss to Bartley Connolly, although he did impress with a TKO over Blink McCloskey. Marty Cross debuts at #32 with a 10-5-1 (4) record, going 2-3 in 1914, and Irishman Tom McCormick faltered badly after a 12-0 start with losses to Cross, Deshley and Badoud to wind up the year at 13-4 (7) in #34 spot with only 160 pp (less than the 200 he started out with!).

Prospects: Soldier Bartfield is 12-2 (6) after splitting a pair with fellow prospect Frank Barrieau, whose record is now 11-3 (5). Tommy Uren piled up four more wins over TCs to reach 10-1 (6). Also continuing to pile up the Ws is Phinney Boyle, at 9-0 (2). Aussie Fred Kay had a good start, going 6-0 (1). Willie Loughlin is 4-0, all four by KO. Tommy Robson struggled at the start and is now 4-1 (3).

Retirement: A three-time former Champion hung up the gloves after an impressive 20-year career.

Young Peter Jackson (USA) 1895-1914 49-16-3 (33) WBA Champ

Looking Ahead: Britton is back on top, and a rematch with McFarland seems to be inevitable. Dick Nelson and Kid Lewis are both in position to try to lift Jimmy Summers' EBU belt. Willie Lewis' star is fading, but Dixie Kid is still a factor. Shevlin and Schaeffer need to prove themselves to crack the top echelon; Badoud is also a threat to move up. Can Glover and Gardner rekindle their careers? This division lacks the depth of others, and there is a paucity of new talent on the horizon. Only one new WW (Alex Trambitas) is set to join the ranks in 1915.