Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Mack Jones for Bob Gibson & Steve Carlton

Shopped Jones around, got offered Gibson. Added Lefty...done!

Is this a rival to Fregosi for Ryan in real life? I know for sure I reamed the AI on this...

Thankfully, it's just a league where I'm experimenting, not challenge mode or anything like that. I might feel bad then...

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

See this is one of the things I personally dislike about playing with real players. No matter what the ratings say, you KNOW which players are likely to be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Well, I was testing out a concept and just sort of did this as a lark...but come on, even in '64, I think everyone in the business knew Lefty was going to be good at the least. Also, even if you take the original offer...Mack Jones for Bob Gibson??? You ask Tigers management from then if they'd have made that deal. Imagine Lolich, Gibson, McClain...and 68 probably gets joined by 67 for sure...and maybe even 66. Gibson would have also helped in the early 70s...like 72 where we lost to the A's.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

What trade difficulty are you using?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
Well, I was testing out a concept and just sort of did this as a lark...but come on, even in '64, I think everyone in the business knew Lefty was going to be good at the least. Also, even if you take the original offer...Mack Jones for Bob Gibson??? You ask Tigers management from then if they'd have made that deal. Imagine Lolich, Gibson, McClain...and 68 probably gets joined by 67 for sure...and maybe even 66. Gibson would have also helped in the early 70s...like 72 where we lost to the A's.
I guess my point is, even if "everyone in the business" knew that, the computer doesn't. There are hundreds of young players with potential in any given season. You're kind of gaming the system because you KNOW Carlton is going to turn out to be great, when to the game, he's just a bunch of numbers like any other young player with potential.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Everyone except the AI in OOTP
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I was using whatever the default trade setting is. I wasn't really looking to even bother with trades...just tesing an idea. This popped up, and well...what the heck. Since it's not even a CM game, there's no real benefit gained...just kind of a laugh like the AH Laughs thread. Still...it might bear inspection.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I think it's been 6 versions or more since I even made an OOTP trade. I do wonder though if "Hall of Fame" type players should be flagged in some way so the AI recognizes they are very special. Kind of like the draft rating deal the game uses.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
I guess my point is, even if "everyone in the business" knew that, the computer doesn't. There are hundreds of young players with potential in any given season. You're kind of gaming the system because you KNOW Carlton is going to turn out to be great, when to the game, he's just a bunch of numbers like any other young player with potential.
It drives me crazy when this is the response to that. Maybe it really is a trade AI issue? I’m bviouslybwe would need to see the ratings of the players to see if they’re expected to be as good as real life, but saying we know more than the AI is a problem. They AI should know more than us.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
It drives me crazy when this is the response to that. Maybe it really is a trade AI issue? I’m bviouslybwe would need to see the ratings of the players to see if they’re expected to be as good as real life, but saying we know more than the AI is a problem. They AI should know more than us.
But with historical players we know more because we have the advantage of hindsight. Do we want the AI to operate based upon the reality at that moment in the save or do we want it to factor in a future that would have been unknowable to a real-life GM/scouting staff/etc. at that point in time? Plus, depending upon the settings one uses, there is no guarantee that a Steve Carlton will become a Hall-of-Famer.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #11
Maximum Jay
Bat Boy

I traded for both Bob Gibson and Brooks Robinson in my historical...got them both for peanuts thinking I was sooo smart.

Gibson never could get his control issues squared away, so after 3 seasons I traded him back to STL (lol), and now at age 29, he's playing 1B on their A ball team...Robinson lost two straight seasons to injury and never progressed past 2 stars, he's currently rotting away in AA, and I doubt he'll ever sniff the majors again.
Maximum Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Question, can one use recalc when using Challenge Mode or all games in this mode played using the OOTP Development engine?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Question, can one use recalc when using Challenge Mode or all games in this mode played using the OOTP Development engine?
Challenge Mode is locked-in to the OOTP Development Engine last I checked.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

Quote:
https://collection.baseballhall.org/...rt-1964-may-15

"very little interest from other clubs... "

Last edited by Drstrangelove; 07-29-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Nice find. Enlightening.