Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #281
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I liked how you could make the batter fight the pitcher in Bases Loaded. Just saying
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #282
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
If you have to use *proper timing* when pushing the buttons, then it's an arcade game, not a simulation since your interaction can impact the outcome.

Babe Ruth himsel would hit .000 if you always hit the button too late or too early.

Thus - arcade and not sim.
The fact that you can control the game doesn't make it arcade. In video games, simulation simply refers to the fact that the game is attempting to be realistic. It basically just refers to the style of the game, and isn't meant to use the literal definition of the word simulation. I admit that simulation probably isn't the best word, but it is what it is. Seriously, look this up if you don't believe me. It is common vernacular in sports video game communities and has been for nearly two decades.

I'll give you some examples of things you might find in an arcade style baseball game that you wouldn't find in a simulation style game:

1.) 700ft homers.
2.) 135 mph pitches.
3.) A turbo button to make your fielders run unnaturally fast or jump unnaturally high.
4.) The ability to control the movement of a pitch after it's already been released.
5.) Each player gets a stock of guaranteed homers that they can use at any point in the game while batting.

The MLB: The Show franchise has none of these things or anything even remotely similar. Everything that happens in MLB: The Show games are grounded in reality. At least, that's the intention anyway. No game is perfect.
If you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and will believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
-Romans 10:9,10
ink625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #283
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink625 View Post
The fact that you can control the game doesn't make it arcade. In video games, simulation simply refers to the fact that the game is attempting to be realistic. It basically just refers to the style of the game, and isn't meant to use the literal definition of the word simulation. I admit that simulation probably isn't the best word, but it is what it is. Seriously, look this up if you don't believe me. It is common vernacular in sports video game communities and has been for nearly two decades.

I'll give you some examples of things you might find in an arcade style baseball game that you wouldn't find in a simulation style game:

1.) 700ft homers.
2.) 135 mph pitches.
3.) A turbo button to make your fielders run unnaturally fast or jump unnaturally high.
4.) The ability to control the movement of a pitch after it's already been released.
5.) Each player gets a stock of guaranteed homers that they can use at any point in the game while batting.

The MLB: The Show franchise has none of these things or anything even remotely similar. Everything that happens in MLB: The Show games are grounded in reality. At least, that's the intention anyway. No game is perfect.
In MLB the show After i created myself i was 28-2 1.23 300 IP with 650 K 23 BB. Thats not realistic. My nephew was even better at 32-1 0.78 300 IP 700 k 55 BB approx.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #284
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:

1.) 700ft homers.
2.) 135 mph pitches.

Not really adding to the convo but

Super Mega Baseball 2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4...ga_Baseball_2/

Seems many people love this game. Lots of love last year on youtube and twitch.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #285
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

1.) 700ft homers.
2.) 135 mph pitches.

Sorry, but been part of this community since the early days of Earl Weaver Baseball v1.5 and later... Arcade has ALWAYS referred to the gamer controlling the actions of the in-game players... both in controller/joystick and timing. And still does.

Even if they produce reasonably realistic results and stats, the gamer having control over the batter/pitcher/fielder makes the game an arcade.

Direct control of the players beyond giving signs/commands/orders is the defining characteristic.

If OOTP's engine produced 700 foot homers, 135MPH pitches, etc.., it would still be a simulation (albeit a flawed one) and still would not be an arcade game.

"The Show"'s marketing department may have tried to spin it to be a simulation to make it stand apart and above OTHER arcade games, but that's not relevant to the reality that it still is and was an arcade style game.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #286
a5ehren
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkitchens View Post
Sorry, but been part of this community since the early days of Earl Weaver Baseball v1.5 and later... Arcade has ALWAYS referred to the gamer controlling the actions of the in-game players... both in controller/joystick and timing. And still does.

Even if they produce reasonably realistic results and stats, the gamer having control over the batter/pitcher/fielder makes the game an arcade.

Direct control of the players beyond giving signs/commands/orders is the defining characteristic.

If OOTP's engine produced 700 foot homers, 135MPH pitches, etc.., it would still be a simulation (albeit a flawed one) and still would not be an arcade game.

"The Show"'s marketing department may have tried to spin it to be a simulation to make it stand apart and above OTHER arcade games, but that's not relevant to the reality that it still is and was an arcade style game.
That's not how anyone uses those terms since around 2000 or so.

OOTP is a management sim, an offshoot of the strategy genre.

The Show is a sim-style player-action game, which like you're saying, is an offshoot of old arcade-style sports games. The aim here is realistic graphics and physics made possible by modern hardware, along with an element of player skill. These games will also usually contain a "franchise mode" that is a very light version of a management sim.

Something like RBI Baseball is an arcade-style player-action game. The graphics and physics are cartoonish and unrealistic, and the gameplay focus is on an individual match, not a season or dynasty.
a5ehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #287
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ehren View Post
That's not how anyone uses those terms since around 2000 or so.

OOTP is a management sim, an offshoot of the strategy genre.

The Show is a sim-style player-action game, which like you're saying, is an offshoot of old arcade-style sports games. The aim here is realistic graphics and physics made possible by modern hardware, along with an element of player skill. These games will also usually contain a "franchise mode" that is a very light version of a management sim.

Something like RBI Baseball is an arcade-style player-action game. The graphics and physics are cartoonish and unrealistic, and the gameplay focus is on an individual match, not a season or dynasty.
So, as you stated, it's an offshoot/derivative of the arcade mode games and thus still is an arcade game as has been correctly stated in this thread. Not sure why people are getting so hot and bothered (and triggered?) over calling something what it is. So these "more realistic" ones are still a subset of the arcade mode genre. Player control by the gamer has not changed and the terminology does not need to be redefined either.

Button-mashing, gamer controlled players are still arcade games.

Anyway, this has been beaten to death. People are going to think what they want. The facts have been laid out, so we should just move along before (as suggested) this thread gets locked due to incivility.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #288
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

NBA 2K is a sim...NBA Jam is an arcade basketball game
Madden is a sim (it's really not although they claim to be)...NFL Street is an arcade game
The Show is sim...RBI baseball/super mega baseball are arcade baseball games.

The point of these games is to simulate running a team, you dont ever have to play the actual games to get that experience. If you never play a single game in an MLB The Show Franchise mode is it still an "arcade" game?

To further illustrate this, there are racing games that are considered sims (Project Cars), and some that are considered arcade racers (Burnout). They all require the player to control the car either using a controller or racing wheel. The difference is one is more realistic than the other. Thats what the deal is here too. The Show is more realistic than Super Mega Baseball. OOTP is more realistic than The Show. They can both be considered sims. You don't ever have to play the actual game of The Show and just be the GM (like I used to do when I played The Show), it just doesnt have the same depth as OOTP. Is it still an "arcade" game then?

If the 3D in OOTP never improved beyond what it is now, I personally wouldn't mind, I don't play OOTP for the experience of playing out games, (I only play out my teams playoff games and a handful of regular season games) although I know that some do, so the 3D experience should go further to satisfy that crowd, just like how I expect GM AI to continue to be improved. There doesnt have to be a war here, people.

Last edited by wallewalls; 03-14-2019 at 04:26 PM.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #289
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
You don't ever have to play the actual game of The Show and just be the GM (like I used to do when I played The Show), it just doesnt have the same depth as OOTP. Is it still an "arcade" game then? .
It would be both. It would have an arcade mode - which is always the gamer controlling the players. And a simulation mode -- where you call the shots.

Just like Earl Weaver, FPS, High Heat, etc...

If OOTP added gamer control, then it too would then have an "arcade mode".

We're all saying the same thing... just not sure why there is animosity to a proper long-standing label.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #290
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:

1.) 700ft homers.
2.) 135 mph pitches.

That's all very nice but notice I didn't mention just control - we control every game, sim or not. Timing was the critical factor in my example.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #291
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Not really adding to the convo but

Super Mega Baseball 2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4...ga_Baseball_2/

Seems many people love this game. Lots of love last year on youtube and twitch.
Seems as though fun could be had.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #292
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
If OOTP added gamer control, then it too would then have an "arcade mode".
Timed control, yes.

EOT

Old 03-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #293
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Alright all, let's halt this ever so fascinating discussion, and get back to being excited about the new features. You all know we'll keep working on both the in-game 3D and the core game experience to try to keep everyone as happy as possible and make the best game out there!
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #294
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Alright all, let's halt this ever so fascinating discussion, and get back to being excited about the new features. You all know we'll keep working on both the in-game 3D and the core game experience to try to keep everyone as happy as possible and make the best game out there!
Sounds like you need to leak 1 small new feature. Yes yes that is exactly what you have to do. its your destiny.

please give us another crumb. we are starving here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flow ers:
Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #295
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
. You all know we'll keep working on both the in-game 3D and the core game experience to try to keep everyone as happy as possible and make the best game out there!

Will you also be doing the curtain call or the tip of hat when crowd wants player to come out of dugout and tip or wave hat towards crowd ?? Usually after a BIG hit or Home Run.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #296
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
Will you also be doing the curtain call or the tip of hat when crowd wants player to come out of dugout and tip or wave hat towards crowd ?? Usually after a BIG hit or Home Run.
No, unfortunately not. But we do have fireworks!
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #297
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, unfortunately not. But we do have fireworks!
was worth asking. Thanks for lighting quick response.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #298
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, if you're closed minded as you demonstrate
Snipped as the rest of it is garbage.

The irony of someone who calls a game that uses buttons to swing/pitch/field as "arcade" to label someone else as closed minded is :chefs kiss:
Old 03-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #299
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Alright all, let's halt this ever so fascinating discussion, and get back to being excited about the new features.
Sure thing! Post one that is
Old 03-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #300
NomarHits400
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I don't think so to be honest. Also, I think they work quite well they already do right now.
I guess this only makes 3 of us- but I disagree with you on both points as well....
NomarHits400 is offline   Reply With Quote