Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #261
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

I think the animations are neat and getting better. I use them a lot. However, I'll add, that I have "seen" each and every game I've played over the past 40 years of being a baseball sim hobbyist.
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #262
scott13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Free agent compensation?

Sorry if this has been posted already, but were updates made to the FA compensation picks to reflect the new changes MLB made a year or 2 ago?

UPDATE: Found it! Looking forward to the release!

Last edited by scott13; 03-13-2019 at 03:59 PM.
scott13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #263
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkitchens View Post
What is "The Show"? And if it's not a realistic simulation, then it's no more comparable than the board game "Monopoly" and not really relevant to this discussion.

Good you don't like the graphical realism presented, but fortunately OOTP decided to add it in to make the great game even better. The kings of the past, Earl Weaver Baseball, FPS: Baseball and High Heat were all realistic (for their time) sim engines AND graphically pleasing.

No one is asking for an arcade, twitch, controller driven game and it's silly to imagine that improved visuals implies that in any way, shape, or form.

Graphics ARE a perk. But they are not an unimportant one. The pawns from two years ago were a nice touch. I skipped last year's release and hoping this year's release ups the animation dramatically.

There's room for all in the OOTP tent and for me, seeing the game played out is the thing OOTP has been missing until the last few years.

That truth said, I'm not sure you're in the minority though. Seems the text-sim-ophiles are very resistant when it comes to fixing anything outside the hood.

When they added the graphics, I said all I wanted was Micro League quality presentation. I have that and then some. If they stopped improving the graphics now, I'd probably be fine with it.

Now, to just get zombie Ernie Harwell up and get to work on that sweet play-by-play audio!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #264
ecd1973
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
Now, to just get zombie Ernie Harwell up and get to work on that sweet play-by-play audio!
Yes! I'm dying for something like this. Even just basic play by play lines recorded and then expanded over the years.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #265
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

I would love to be able to see a Player's 'rest status' by hovering over the player instead of having to go to his player page.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #266
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Just looked it up and "The Show" is an arcade PS4 game, so not really relevant to this discussion at all (sorry, not up on console kiddie stuff).

So that leads us to the bad news. MLB: The Show 19 continues this trend and is exclusive to the PS4.

OOTP > "The (no) Show"
PC > Consoles
Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #267
Walter Alston
Minors (Single A)

MLB just today (March 14) announced rules changes for this season, including reducing the time between innings to 2 minutes. I would like to see this change incorporated for real-time sims in OOTP XX. I believe the real-time sim in OOTP 19 and earlier versions expends 3 full minutes between innings. Hope you can make this change, and thanks!
Walter Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #268
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
Just looked it up and "The Show" is an arcade PS4 game, so not really relevant to this discussion at all (sorry, not up on console kiddie stuff).

So that leads us to the bad news. MLB: The Show 19 continues this trend and is exclusive to the PS4.

OOTP > "The (no) Show"
PC > Consoles
The Show is not an "arcade" game.
If you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and will believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
-Romans 10:9,10
ink625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #269
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink625 View Post
The Show is not an "arcade" game.
It kinda is. It's basically the Madden of baseball.
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #270
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusguy21 View Post
It kinda is. It's basically the Madden of baseball.
No, it's a simulation. Just because a game doesn't simulate baseball as well as OOTP, doesn't mean it's an arcade game.
If you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and will believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Last edited by ink625; 03-14-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #271
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
No, it's a simulation. Just because a game doesn't simulate baseball as well as OOTP, doesn't mean it's an arcade game.
OK... so gamers don't press buttons on controllers to throw, field and hit? Cause that would make it an arcade game if it included those things. But you're insisting it does not, so that means it doesn't have those, right?
Old 03-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #272
TwinsGuy11
Minors (Triple A)

The Show is sim and Madden is arcade.

Comparing them would be like saying Transformers and Saving Private Ryan are both historical war films
TwinsGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #273
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsGuy11 View Post
The Show is sim and Madden is arcade.

Comparing them would be like saying Transformers and Saving Private Ryan are both historical war films
Nope. Both clearly ARCADE

Last year's manual: https://docs.playstation.com/reader/...apter=1&page=1

The entire first chapter shows the arcade controls for batting, throwing, pitching, etc...

That is NOT a simulation by any stretch of the imagination, but an arcade game.

The greats of baseball games past, FPS and High Heat had arcade and sim modes (two distinct modes). Gamers controlling the on-field action apart from issuing commands is solely arcade.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #274
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Nope. Both clearly ARCADE

Last year's manual: https://docs.playstation.com/reader/...apter=1&page=1

The entire first chapter shows the arcade controls for batting, throwing, pitching, etc...

That is NOT a simulation by any stretch of the imagination, but an arcade game.

The greats of baseball games past, FPS and High Heat had arcade and sim modes (two distinct modes). Gamers controlling the on-field action apart from issuing commands is solely arcade.
This is the first time I've heard your name on these forums and I already hate you. What if you play The Show as CPU vs CPU? Is it sim then?
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #275
itsmb8
All Star Starter

deleted

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 03-14-2019 at 06:47 PM.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Warning
Old 03-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #276
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
This is the first time I've heard your name on these forums and I already hate you. What if you play The Show as CPU vs CPU? Is it sim then?
Quote:
Oh, so youre one of those "PC Master Race" douchebags?
Wow... hatred and namecalling. You're an angry elf aren't you?

But still common sense says you cannot compare apples and oranges (well you can, but not equally). A PC Simulation getting compared to a Console Arcade Game is not a kosher comparison to any thinking person.

So just calm down, drink your juice box and wait for your Barney rerun to come on.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #277
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
OK... so gamers don't press buttons on controllers to throw, field and hit? Cause that would make it an arcade game if it included those things. But you're insisting it does not, so that means it doesn't have those, right?
No, those things don't make it an arcade game, and it is absolutely absurd to say otherwise. There is literally no discussion to be had here. You're wrong.

Last edited by ink625; 03-14-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #278
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
No, those things don't make it an arcade game, and it is absolutely absurd to say otherwise. There is literally no discussion to be had here.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, if you're closed minded as you demonstrate, there never will be a discussion. What do you imagine are the qualities separating an arcade game from a simulation?

Realistic output is not a determining factor and never has been. Player control is. Sorry you cannot accept reality, but there it is.

Anyway, the facts are clear... and this really is off-topic. Even if it were a fantasyland where The Show was a simulation, it's still a PS4 only game and still not comparable to a PC game in terms of audience of this forum. Gamers cannot be correctly pointed to a game for a different system to fulfill some missing capability of this game. Makes zero sense.

Thankfully the developers have added 3d mode and are improving it each release.

Enough said. You can have the last word if you want it.

Last edited by klkitchens; 03-14-2019 at 02:26 PM.
klkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #279
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
This is the first time I've heard your name on these forums and I already hate you.

Boy, that escalated quickly.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #280
texasmame
All Star Starter

If you have to use *proper timing* when pushing the buttons, then it's an arcade game, not a simulation since your interaction can impact the outcome.

Babe Ruth himself would hit .000 if you always hit the button too late or too early.

Thus - arcade and not sim.

Last edited by texasmame; 03-14-2019 at 02:36 PM.