Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Inside the Ropes

TBCB Inside the Ropes Your game and fantasy fights

Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
djday45
All Star Starter

Title Bout Board Game Campaign

Hey guys! Long time no speak! lol. I have been away from this site for quite a while now busy with work etc. But i thought I would make an effort and post a campaign I am just about to start.

I recently acquired a copy of the original Title bout board game that I havent played in years and thought Instead of using the computer version I would break out the old fast action cards and run a limited universe using purelythe board game.
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Infinity
Hall Of Famer

Good to see you back!....
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
djday45
All Star Starter

Scope of the campaign

Using the board game as I previously said I have decided to run a purely historical universe on a limited basis to not make it unwieldy. I have always been interested in what ifs in boxing but in a subtle way.

Starting with the Heavyweights in 1878 (the year John L Sullivan made his debut at age 20). I will be running a realistic universe but with one major caveat that it is a boxing universe how I would have liked to have seen it unfold.

This brings its own challenges using the board game as only one fighter comes with the game that is active in the heavyweight ranks in 1878 - John L himself.

So my first task is to decide how many heavyweights to add to the universe and to create boxing cards for them in the style of the board game which has its own unique differences in the ratings compared to the board game.

I chose 32 as I don't want to run fights with tomato cans with the board game just the contenders and nearly contenders of the period. Also 32 is a nice round number if I ever need to run tournaments for any reason.

I will be using the cyberboxing zone and boxrec in researching and choosing which 32 heavies to start in 1878. Following posts will talk about those choices and the nuts and bolts of the campaign such as aging, matchmaking etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
djday45
All Star Starter

Initial fighter choices

The follows the fighters I have chosen so far to fill out my 32 slots of heavies to start the campaign with in 1878.
I have decided that fighters will debut in the universe not automatically in the year they did so in real life but in fact the year they reached the age of 20, not before or after. This interesting little change means some quite big début changes for some fighters for example Larry Holmes under this rule will début in 1969
Fighters are assumed to have had a two year pro career off stage from the age of 18 before entering the elite ranks of the 32 careers I will be simulating in the campaign.

Choices so far as follows, their age at the start of the campaign in 1878 is in brackets.

John L Sullivan (20), Paddy Ryan (27), John J Dwyer (31), Joe Goss (41),
William Miller (32), Steve Taylor (27), Tom Allen (39), Jack Knifton (23),
Jem Mace (47), Larry Foley (29), Bill Farnam (27), Mike McCoole (41),
Jimmy Elliot (40), Joe Coburn (43), Mike Cleary (20), Captain James Dalton (24), John Donaldson (25), Herbert A Slade (27), George Godfrey (25),
Morris Grant (33), Charles Hadley (32), Harry Woodson (26), Viro Small (24),
Mervine Thompson (24) Peter Newton (24

Thats 25 fighters chosen and I have seven more slots available to get to 32.

I am VERY open to suggestions on the final eight slots. Please be aware I will be running a middleweight division as well so people like Mike Donovan and Charlie Mitchell will start off there.
Also please be aware John C Heehan had already died in 1873 so is not available for the campaign.

Suggestions please?

Last edited by djday45; 01-28-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Glad to see you back

How about Peter Newton?
Tosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
djday45
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosti View Post
Glad to see you back

How about Peter Newton?
Hey pal thks! I dont know much about him, whats his style? abilities? skill level?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Got the file from here!!

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post2773456

Not sure how good the bloke who rated him is!!

Using a lot of your Heavy files for my new uni btw
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
djday45
All Star Starter

Ahh ok, I havent got access to my old work as the game refuses to run anymore on my laptop, hence me using the boardgame.

Can you sum him up for me so I can make him into a board game card?

thks
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Peter Newton

Peter Newton : Boxer
Attached Images
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
djday45
All Star Starter

Thks I will officially include Newton and convert him to the board game.

It is very interesting the board game has a very different set of ranges on certain categories, mainly in control factor and hitting power, but also endurance and other small things.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #11
djday45
All Star Starter

Ageing System

I have had to think quite a lot about an ageing system for the board game campaign, I would have liked to have used a points system ala cubedrum, but it is too unwieldy and I dont want to be constantly changing the index cards of the fighters I create and ruining them.

So going back to the idea of using their actual current age to determine if they are in their prime or not, this also ties in with them being age 20 when they debut.

Also I have never really been a fan of how the computer game does it with massive changes as soon as they hit post prime and end, I wanted to come up with something more incremental, a slow eroding of their skills as the years went past one by one.

So this is the age chart I am using, note this is to suit the board game.

age 20-21 control -2 hp -1 ki -2 kdr1 +1 end -20 def +2 pl -2

22-23 control -1 ki -1 end -10 def +1 pl -1

24-30 no changes fighter in prime

31 control -1

32 control -1 ch +1

33 control -1 Ch +1 pl -1

34 control -2 ki -1 ch +1 pl -1 kdrs +1 end -5

35 control -2 ki -1 ch +2 pl -2 kdrs +1 def +1 end -5

36 control -2 hp -1 ki -1 ch +2 pl -2 kdrs +1 kor +1 def +1 end -10

37 control -3 hp -1 ki -2 ch +2 pl -3 kdrs +2 kor + 1 def +2 end -10

38 control -3 hp -1 ki -2 ch +2 pl -3 kdrs +2 kor +1 def +3 end -10

39 control -3 hp -1 ki -2 ch +3 pl -4 kdrs +2 kor +2 def +3 end -10

40 control -4 hp -2 ki - 3 ch +3 pl -4 kdrs +3 kor +2 def +3 end -15

41 control -4 hp -2 ki -3 ch +3 pl -5 kdrs +3 kor +2 def +4 end -15

42 control -4 hp -2 ki -3 ch +3 pl -5 kdrs +3 kor +2 def +5 end -15

43 control -5 hp -2 ki -4 ch +3 pl -6 kdrs +4 kor +2 def +5 end -15

44 control -5 hp -2 ki -4 ch +3 pl -6 kdrs +4 kor +2 def +6 end -15

45 control -5 hp -2 ki -4 ch +3 pl - 7 kdrs +4 kor +2 def +6 end -15

I have continued the chart into the mid 40s because I have quite a few seniors starting in the heavyweight campaign in 1878.

Certain fighters wont use this system but they will be few and far between. In their cases I will have their effective age separate to their actual age.

For example Jersey Joe Walcott would be stuck at ages 20-23 far longer than his actual age and then have a much later sliding of skills due to old age.

This system simply allows me to check the current age of the fighters when writing out the sheet of a bout and amend the relevant categories as needed.

Last edited by djday45; 01-28-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
djday45
All Star Starter

Matchmaking

I want at the end of a year for fighters to have quite a range of fights but on the average to be quite active to have fought 5-7 times a year on average.

I have written out on index cards each fighter and there will be 32 of them in the first year of the campaign so I have come up with a pretty simple system.

Each month I will simply shuffle the 32 index cards and then divide them into two piles, active fighters and inactive fighters. This will then give me 16 fighters active for the month and eight fights to schedule.

Then the actual matchmaking will be a case of simply choosing who fights who depending on current rankings, if the fighters have never fought before or results of previous bouts, geography and nationality, or simply styles that I feel might make great fights. Fighters that have clashed before and the result has been quite definitive and conclusive will be kept apart as they would in reality.

Title fights for the world championship will be handled differently. if the champion is scheduled to fight that month an opponent is picked for him (if they are active or not) depending on the following table by throwing 3d6

3 champion fights fighter available totally his choice
4 champion fights former retired champion
5 champion fights champion of division below
6 champion fights winner of Philadelphia tournament
7 champion fights fighter previously beat him or drew with him or split or majority decision with him
8 champion fights top 5 contender available that month
9 champion fights top ranked contender available that month.
10 champion fights no 1 contender
11 champion fights no 1 contender unless they have fought in last year
then he fights no 2 and so on
12 champion fights top 5 contender of his choice
13 champion fights top ten contender of his choice
14 champion fights winner of Philadelphia tournament
15 champion fights champion of division below
16 champion fights former retired champion
17 champion fights unranked fighter available outside top ten
18 champion retires

This will give a nice range of types of title defence.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #13
djday45
All Star Starter

final eight selected

Looking at the middleweight pool I have decided not to introduce them till 1882 as the list of middleweights is quite thin, so ones active in 1878 will be pitched in with the heavyweights which is quite realistic!

The last eight boxers then chosen are as follows.

Peter Newton (24), Mike Donovan (31), Billy Madden (26), George Rooke (26)
John Flood (23) Dan Dwyer (22) Tommy Chandler (28) Fred Crossley (29)
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
Ian Lord
All Star Starter

Excellent. Look forward to following along. Good to see you back.
Ian Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
PWillisTheMan
Hall Of Famer

One thing I don't get is how the winner of the Philly tournament is known when the roll for champions take place. Wouldn't they be running concurrently? Would it just be the previous years winner? What if he lost several fights since then? I like the randomness but it seems two possibilities for that, or the division below moving up is a lot. It's a 22% chance in every title fight of one of those fights taking place.

Looking forward to it though, I miss my board battles.

Last edited by PWillisTheMan; 02-02-2013 at 09:15 AM.
PWillisTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
djday45
All Star Starter

Schedule January 1878

Dublin Jan 5th
Paddy Ryan vs Fred Crossley
Mike McCoole vs Joe Coburn
Steve Taylor vs Jack Knifton

Brisbane Jan 11th
Larry Foley vs Herbert A Slade

London Jan 17th
Joe Goss vs Billy Madden

Cincinnatini Jan 21th
Harry Woodson vs Morris Grant
George Rooke vs Peter Newton

Cleveland Jan 27th
Captain James Dalton vs Dan Dwyer
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
djday45
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWillisTheMan View Post
One thing I don't get is how the winner of the Philly tournament is known when the roll for champions take place. Wouldn't they be running concurrently? Would it just be the previous years winner? What if he lost several fights since then? I like the randomness but it seems two possibilities for that, or the division below moving up is a lot. It's a 22% chance in every title fight of one of those fights taking place.

Looking forward to it though, I miss my board battles.

Well the table is based on a bell curve so the results will always be much more likely round the 8-12 range although always with a chance of a more extreme result being thrown.
The Philadelphia results as you correctly guess are for the current title holder if they haven't already received a shot. If they have I will roll again!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
djday45
All Star Starter

Rankings Heavyweights Jan 1st 1878

World Champion - Vacant

1. John L Sullivan USA

2. John J Dwyer Canada

3. Larry Foley Australia

4. George Godfrey Canada

5. Joe Goss Great Britain

6. Professor Charles Hadley USA

7. Paddy Ryan Ireland

8. Mike Donovan USA

9. Professor John Donaldson USA

10. Jem Mace Great Britain
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #19
djday45
All Star Starter

Ratings/Rankings System

Here is an explanation of the manual ratings system I am using. I wanted something both comprehensive but quite simple to implement.

1. Every fighter is rated out of 1-12 when he first becomes active and this is his base rating. eg John L Sullivan 10, George Godfrey 9, James Dalton 7,
Fred Crossley 2.

2. Fighters can accumulate both plus and minus points.

3. Fighters primarily gain or lose points by winning or losing to other fighters depending on their base rating of 1-12. If they defeat another fighter, they gain points equal to their opponents base rating eg - Jimmy Elliot 8.
If they lose they lose points depending on a sliding scale of the rating of their opponent eg John L Sullivan -3, George Godfrey -4, Fred Crossley -11.
If a draw occurs each fighter gains half the others rating rounded up.

4. Secondly, fighters gain or lose points depending on the manner of the result as follows.
KO or TKO win due to too much punishment win +5, loss -5
Unanimous decision win +4, loss -4
TKO due to cuts win +3, loss -3
Majority decision win +3, loss -3
Split decision win +2, loss -2
Foul win +1, loss -3
Injury win +1, loss 0

5. If a fighter wins or loses due to injury or foul they gain and lose only half their opponents rating.

6. The points won or lost are kept on a fighters running total month by month for 2 years then replaced by new results. Apart from special bonus points which are permanent.

BONUS PERMANENT POINTS

A. If a fighter ever becomes a world champion he receives 10 bonus points. If he later wins any other world championships at other weight classes he gains the bonus again.

B. If a fighter wins an Olympic gold medal he receives 10 bonus points, silver medal winner 5 points, bronze medal winner 2 points.

C. If a fighter contests a world championship and loses he gains 4 bonus points. This bonus can only be gained once.

D. Fighters receive bonus points once they reach a certain amount of wins.
30 - +2, 40 - +2, 50 - +4, 60 - +2, 75 - +5, 100 - +5

E. If a fighter ever gets into a situation of having a losing record he loses 25 points, this can only happen once and is not removed if the fighters record ever becomes a winning record again.

F. if a fighter wins a national or continental title he gains 2 points, if he contests one but loses he gains one point.

G. if a fighter wins the Philadelphia tournament he gains 3 points.

H. if a fighter moves division he loses 10 points.

so the current rankings for Jan 1878 in the previous post at the moment only include the fighters base rating nothing more, I expect the top ten to jump around massively month by month until they start to solidify in 1879.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
EricKarl
Minors (Rookie Ball)

You have me excited about getting my board game out. I have a MAC so I cant tun OOTP but I could do a board game universe.
EricKarl is offline   Reply With Quote