Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Hambil
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Go with what you find fun and what makes a good story for my 2 cents. From a practical standpoint I've found paying for older players (with rare exceptions like Ruth or Williams) is a bad investment and you win more by letting them go and trading or drafting a young replacement. Obviously if possible said replacement should be ready to go before you veteran reaches FA.
Hambil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Smile

Looking at the comparison even differently. When Mike Trout completed his age 25 season he had completed his 6th season with a WAR over 6.0. By the end of his age 25 season Alex Rodriguez had 4 seasons with a WAR over 6.0. Even Babe Ruth, by the end of his age 25 season, had 2 seasons with a WAR over 6.0, and he was a primarily a pitcher for his first few seasons.

After completing his age 25 season, Bryce Harper has had 1 season with a WAR over 6.0, and if you take out that 1 season where he had a WAR of 10.0, his stats pale by comparison. Harper could still get better, and might very well one of the best, but to say he deserves that kind of money based on what he has done up to now is crazy.

The real question is will someone, even the Yankees, be stupid enough to pay that much.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Hambil
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw3000 View Post
The real question is will someone, even the Yankees, be stupid enough to pay that much.
The Dodgers might.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Of course someone will. He doesn't deserve it, but someone will be that stupid. My bet: NOT the Tigers.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:47 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

nope, not in real life

in ootp, not unless you have ~400M+ payroll capabilities.. maybe 350+? Greater than ~15% of max payroll on 1 player starts to push it for me.

i'm guessing on contract ranges for other elite playrs... harper is a greedy one in ootp, eh? so, assuming you can get fairly similar for 35m, too?

paying 15m extra is a stiff ask for so little extra... plus a guy that in real life is inconsitent, imo. he'll be rock-solid in ootp the way he is rated, though.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-14-2018 at 02:49 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:10 AM   #6
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

I can say to the Harper thing in my real world game that Stanton opts out in 2020, asks for $450m over ten years after hitting 76 HR and 186 RBI for the Yankees. He eventually signs for $165m over five years with the Nationals.
nutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
nope, not in real life

in ootp, not unless you have ~400M+ payroll capabilities.. maybe 350+? Greater than ~15% of max payroll on 1 player starts to push it for me.

i'm guessing on contract ranges for other elite playrs... harper is a greedy one in ootp, eh? so, assuming you can get fairly similar for 35m, too?

paying 15m extra is a stiff ask for so little extra... plus a guy that in real life is inconsitent, imo. he'll be rock-solid in ootp the way he is rated, though.
Harper's a greedy one in real life. $500 million is what the buzz says he's asking for, and I think it's what the OP was referring to. Also, he was asked by a reporter a couple of years ago about being possibly the first player to get a $400 million deal and he took it as an insult for underrating his value.
Shame, shame on you

NCBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

No Ball player is worth that. They pay them and then all the seats go to the corporate offices and the average true fan sits home and watches it on TV. This is the World we live in today. Good thing children hate baseball because I feel so badly for young people who have kids who would love to see the Yankees play live but can’t afford to take them. To me that is the shame....
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Fun conversation, wrong forum.

Mods, please move this to the Talk Sports forum.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Harper's heading to the *snickers*...the...*giggles*.....the Kansas City Roya...LOLOLOL! AHHHLOLOL! ...I couldn't even finish that sentence!
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

He doesn't deserve that one bit, but I still maintain he's worth more than Machado. He's a farrrrrr better hitter than Machado, and although he plays corner outfield, and Machado plays short, Machado's defense at SS is not great. And anyway, hitters with good plate discipline typically age better. Machado can't take a walk to save his life. And when you're giving out these long deals, you have to think about their value at the end of the deal. Power and defense go away, discipline doesn't.
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #12
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

No, Harper is not worth $500 million because NO player is worth $500 million. However, Harper is likely worth more than any other position player in the game, considering his timing for free agency and track record.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
grall1126
Minors (Single A)

I rather have Mike Schmidt, forget Harper, not worth the money
grall1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
No, Harper is not worth $500 million because NO player is worth $500 million. However, Harper is likely worth more than any other position player in the game, considering his timing for free agency and track record.
I wonder if there's even a hypothetical situation where a player is worth that much. Maybe peak steroid Barry Bonds?
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusguy21 View Post
I wonder if there's even a hypothetical situation where a player is worth that much. Maybe peak steroid Barry Bonds?
Trout would be worth it. Bonds in his peak but at today's dollars would be worth it. Ruth, Mays, Musial, Gehrig, Williams.. It's a short list, and Harper isn't on it.
Shame, shame on you

NCBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

No. Whoch is fine since hell never play for Toronto (Rogers wouldnt pay that much, and the Toronto press would eat him alive)
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #17
Hambil
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Maybe the Marlins will scrape together the cash to buy him
Old 11-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

He went to Toronto in my save!
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hibbs View Post
He went to Toronto in my save!
Proof that OOTP doesnt know names....or owners
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

one season he was great. that was a few seasons ago, pre- injuries. i just hope SF doesn't do something stupid and try to sign him like they tried on Stanton. They have more pressing needs ... and Harper isn't going to change or save a franchise. he couldn't do it in Washington and i really don't see it happening elsewhere. i like him as a player, just not $300-500 worth.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote