Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Wild pitches with runners on third

Both AI and human controlled teams have an unusually large amount of wild pitches thrown whenever there is a runner on third base. Is there a way to fix this? This is a rarity in real baseball yeah it happens all the time in out of the park baseball
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

One time I saw it happen 746,489 times in one inning. I was pissed off!

Then I adjusted the sliders and set it how I liked it. I feel much better now.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

What I have been thinking about for some time - has anybody ever seen a runner actually being thrown out on a wild pitch while attempting to score? About 4,000 games managed later, I can't remember a single instance.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I'm curious how you quantify this. You'd have to look at a lot of games for a reasonable sample size and know what the RL WP rate is for various base occupied states other than those with runners on 3B.

The overall MLB rate is approx 3 games per WP or its inverse 0.3 WP/G. Data on runs scored/WP is difficult (impossible) to find for me at least. How did you determine that WP with runners on 3B is higher than RL rates.

I've wanted to know this for years.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
What I have been thinking about for some time - has anybody ever seen a runner actually being thrown out on a wild pitch while attempting to score?
When this happens, the event is scored as "baserunner out advancing". It is not a wild pitch unless the runner is safe advancing. What is missing in OOTP is a "baserunner out advancing" play. But there is list of such missing plays (e.g., the AI never attempts a squeeze play), and it is difficult to predict how or when any of them might be included.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
When this happens, the event is scored as "baserunner out advancing". It is not a wild pitch unless the runner is safe advancing. What is missing in OOTP is a "baserunner out advancing" play. But there is list of such missing plays (e.g., the AI never attempts a squeeze play), and it is difficult to predict how or when any of them might be included.
How would it be scored if there were runners on the corners and the pitcher threw the ball away, but the lead runner was thrown out and the other guy went from first to second?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Phantom9in
Minors (Double A)

Runner from 3rd out trying to steal home, runner from first advances to second, no stolen base.

Phantom9in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom9in View Post
Runner from 3rd out trying to steal home, runner from first advances to second, no stolen base.
No that would be base runner out advancing. It cannot be a steal attempt in that scenario. The runner at 3B would have to break for home before the pitch went past the catcher. You could have both an attempted steal and a provisional WP. The runner at 2B would be there on a fielders choice ie the out at HP

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
No that would be base runner out advancing. It cannot be a steal attempt in that scenario. The runner at 3B would have to break for home before the pitch went past the catcher. You could have both an attempted steal and a provisional WP. The runner at 2B would be there on a fielders choice ie the out at HP
This is correct. No stolen base attempt can be given when the ball gets away from the catcher if the runner does not break before the ball gets away.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
One time I saw it happen 746,489 times in one inning. I was pissed off!

Then I adjusted the sliders and set it how I liked it. I feel much better now.

Are you serious? So that means the pitcher had over 746500 pitches in the game?

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Ok, you got me.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Are you serious? So that means the pitcher had over 746500 pitches in the game?
He's a throwback to the good old days when men were men and the sheep were nervous.

RichW

#stopthestupid