Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Questdog's Era Appropriate Names

My name files which allow you to have your players named appropriately for the decade in which they play and then allows new names to keep in step with changing fashions has been posted at All Sim Baseball.

http://www.allsimbaseball.com/index....d=18&Itemid=45

They'll be up on the OOTP Mod Squad site soon.

Maybe, you didn't realize it, but this is a big thing!....

Let me know what you think.

Any questions can be posted to damortenson@hotmail.com

Thanks
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

The file has now been posted at the Mod Squad page

It's called Questdogs Names.

http://www.ootpmodsquad.com/

If you try out these files, please give me some feedback!

Any anomalies you note or questions can be sent to me at damortenson@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
bigD4VT
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you! I can't wait to try these out.
bigD4VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:19 AM   #4
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

This is an interesting workaround, I'll have to experiment with it. I don't play historical leagues so I'll make my own .dat files, but the idea is clever.
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

I've been experimenting with this a bit, I've had the game crash a few times but I also got it to work a few times too.
I'm trying to create different data sets (names.dat and world.dat) to sub in and out as I need them. I'll have to test this some more before I know if it will cause crashes in certain situations.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
ctorg
Global Moderator

Very interesting workaround. Hopefully it won't be necessary in future versions of the game.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

How does this work? Are there nations applied for each decade or what?

With Markus' statement that changing name files was being worked on, this may not be needed soon, but still its great work!
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol
How does this work? Are there nations applied for each decade or what?

With Markus' statement that changing name files was being worked on, this may not be needed soon, but still its great work!
No, the only thing that changes is the frequency of first_names.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla
I've been experimenting with this a bit, I've had the game crash a few times but I also got it to work a few times too.
I'm trying to create different data sets (names.dat and world.dat) to sub in and out as I need them. I'll have to test this some more before I know if it will cause crashes in certain situations.
I have not experienced any crashes (or any problems of any kind) due to the use of these files. Make sure that you follow the instructions explicitly, or you could certainly have crashes when the game looks for something that isn't there....
Old 07-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Now, I know some of you have tried these files....please let me know what you think and if you've found anything wrong.....
Old 07-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
bigD4VT
Minors (Triple A)

I've created a couple leagues just to see how the names look. I used 1900s first names for one and 1970's for the other. They're great! Very realistic. I haven't tried changing the dats at the start of a decade yet, but so far I think this is the best name set I have used.

I do have a question though. Is there any way I can put Chinese and Korean names back in? I don't plan to have international leagues in my universe but I do like the idea of scouting foreign countries. Having a scout bring back John Smith instead of Chan Ho Park just doesn't do it for me.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD4VT
I've created a couple leagues just to see how the names look. I used 1900s first names for one and 1970's for the other. They're great! Very realistic. I haven't tried changing the dats at the start of a decade yet, but so far I think this is the best name set I have used.

I do have a question though. Is there any way I can put Chinese and Korean names back in? I don't plan to have international leagues in my universe but I do like the idea of scouting foreign countries. Having a scout bring back John Smith instead of Chan Ho Park just doesn't do it for me.
Yes, but you'd have to remake a whole new set of .dat files...

Not difficult, but time consuming...

I left them out, because it makes the name files much smaller and load faster....

If you're only interested in using the names and don't care about changing them out each decade, you can just copy the American first names and American last names from one of these sets and paste them over the default name files and use the default nations and cities....

Last edited by Questdog; 07-01-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #13
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

In this set, the American and Hispanic names have been remade extensively, the other nationalities have only been slightly edited....
Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
Markmeister
Major Leagues

I have tried some leagues so far, not a whole bunch of testing.

Great data base. From what I saw, the first names fit the era perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to look at in great detail, but did you include a lot of the 'nickname' first names from the early 1900's? I saw Doc when I took a quick glance at the league news, and I think Babe is included too.

An occasional Chief, Cap and Deacon would be great. Other nicknames would be nice, but I also know from fiddling around with the names in prior versions that it is easy to get too many of the nickname-first names to show up too.

Jersey style logos
Vintage letter logos
Vintage uniforms
Markmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmeister
I have tried some leagues so far, not a whole bunch of testing.

Great data base. From what I saw, the first names fit the era perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to look at in great detail, but did you include a lot of the 'nickname' first names from the early 1900's? I saw Doc when I took a quick glance at the league news, and I think Babe is included too.

An occasional Chief, Cap and Deacon would be great. Other nicknames would be nice, but I also know from fiddling around with the names in prior versions that it is easy to get too many of the nickname-first names to show up too.
They're ALL in there. The ones that were unique to only one player have their frequencies set very low, so you shouldn't see them often, if at all....

Others, like Doc and Chief and Babe have been set to try and duplicate the frequency that they actually appeared...

Last edited by Questdog; 07-02-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #16
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog
No, the only thing that changes is the frequency of first_names.
How do you get the frequency to change over time? I'm not understanding how this works.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #17
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Quote:
How do you get the frequency to change over time? I'm not understanding how this works.
By periodically changing the names.dat file. The game only uses names.txt and first_names.txt upon universe creation, where it uses them to create names.dat. But if you sub out the names.dat file with another one, created earlier with different .txt files and saved in another location, you can work around that.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #18
bigD4VT
Minors (Triple A)

Questdog, I have a question. Suppose I wanted to have a Japanese League in my universe with CLE's and PCM's set to mirror real life Japanese baseball. Would I have to edit the nations.txt file and give Japan a better rating, or can I just leave it alone and still have good players enter the Japanese league without any entering the MLB draft?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #19
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD4VT
Questdog, I have a question. Suppose I wanted to have a Japanese League in my universe with CLE's and PCM's set to mirror real life Japanese baseball. Would I have to edit the nations.txt file and give Japan a better rating, or can I just leave it alone and still have good players enter the Japanese league without any entering the MLB draft?
It is my understanding that the Baseball level rating of a nation does NOT affect leagues based in that nation. I have not personally confirmed this to be true, however.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #20
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
It works fine from my experience, FWIW.
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote