Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Chairman Mauer
Bat Boy

"Disbanding" a league?

I'm starting out another go-through of a fictional universe mostly similar to real life history- a major league, affiliated AAA and AA teams (who play shortened 50 and 30 game seasons respectively until the '30s, when they become "officially" minor leagues), etc. This time around I'm also instituting a Negro League, which I plan to have run as its own entity until 1946, when integration begins. I also want to have the league cease operations around 1950, though I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. Is it possible to just set the schedule to zero games from 1951 onwards, or would I have to fudge things, change the league name and a couple team names, and pretend that the league was simply sold off to a new owner and reinstituted as an integrated, short-season independent league?

On a semi-related note, can I create a league in 1899 but give it a zero-game schedule until the 1930s? I want to simulate a Japanese league and have it roughly follow real-life history, since the [league redacted] League wasn't formed until the mid '30s.
Chairman Mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

Did you try creating a small universe and then disbanding a league?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #3
Chairman Mauer
Bat Boy

Hadn't thought about that. Decided to run a test universe -- two leagues, 50 games each (to save on time), then deleted all the divisions from one of the leagues after the first season. It gave me an error saying one of the teams had an illegal number of players on their roster (0). So that didn't work.
Chairman Mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
ctorg
Global Moderator

A request I've made for future versions is to have the ability to have leagues start and end over time. I'd like to be able to include, say, the Federal League and the independent leagues that came along in the 90s. They all started and stopped at different times, though. It would also be useful to be able to affiliate and de-affiliate minor leagues. I'd like to be able to say "The Pacific Coast League decides to sever its ties with the majors and make a go of it as a separate major league" and have that happen. Sadly, it's not possible with the current version. Here's hoping for it in the future.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

Disbanding leagues was supposed to be in the first patch, unfortunately it became the H2H of 2006...

jarmenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

it would be great to be able to Disbanding leagues and to affiliate and de-affiliate minor leagues.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmenia View Post
Disbanding leagues was supposed to be in the first patch, unfortunately it became the H2H of 2006...
I was supposed to be in the first "update", not "patch".

What does "update" mean? I do not know.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Rocks View Post
it would be great to be able to Disbanding leagues and to affiliate and de-affiliate minor leagues.
It has got to be very hard to code, but a feature that has so much potential that it has to get in the game, and hopefully soooner as opposed to later.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

ok

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:45 AM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmenia View Post
Actually, it was not disbanding of leagues but rather being able to set leagues as active or inactive.

However, given the potential issues arising from setting leagues as active or inactive which must be thought through carefully, it was not surprising to me to see the feature not get incorporated. It is a feature which requires considerable planning and forethought to make work right, so shoehorning it into an update might not have been the best approach.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Actually, it was not disbanding of leagues but rather being able to set leagues as active or inactive.

However, given the potential issues arising from setting leagues as active or inactive which must be thought through carefully, it was not surprising to me to see the feature not get incorporated. It is a feature which requires considerable planning and forethought to make work right, so shoehorning it into an update might not have been the best approach.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it this year, but given the many voices I've seen asking for it, I do hope and expect to see at least a rudimentary version next year.

The main area where OOTP2006 is lacking, even compared to previous versions, is on-the-fly customizability. You're locked into many of your initial choices, and the game doesn't handle change over time well at all. For example:

- You can't change league affiliations.
- All leagues must play all years.
- History doesn't record properly if you make structural changes in the offseason.
- Team history doesn't include previous team names.
- Nation and city files are locked from the beginning, which stops any realistic history in that regard from happening. Names sort of are, too, but there's a workaround.

And there's more. The game needs to be able to handle dynamic universes much better.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote