Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #121
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

I generally set the stats and league totals / Financials to a set year (usually 1960) and freeze it
Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #122
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInCincy View Post
I generally set the stats and league totals / Financials to a set year (usually 1960) and freeze it
I've done the set year a lot too, but I really did enjoy starting in 46 and proceeding through the years historically. Just knew I didn't want to continue into the 90's. I've fast simmed a few into that period and numbers started getting rather video game like. Plus, I wanted to stop before relief pitchers started pitching to one batter. Can't stand modern bullpens. I am still using 1946 financials though. I pay so little attention to the money side of things, it really doesn't matter if I lock it or not.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #123
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInCincy View Post
I lock LTMs, PCMs and Strategy Settings at 1984, and import financial settings every year. I have the option to import adjusted financial settings checked, but the game never seems to do it, so I just import them myself on the first day of the pre-season.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #124
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I have some fun pitchers to watch right now. Dave Steib, Fernando Valenzuela, Robin Roberts, Whitey Ford and Johan Santana. Eddie Ciccotte as well. Cicotte had a great season in 85. Ron Darling Sid Fernandez and Geoff Zahn are also in the league. Mickey Lolich is having a nice career.
My HoF SP so far include Ewell Blackwell, Jim Bunning (hey there's another RL Tiger for ya! ), David Cone, Don Drysdale, Zack Greinke, Tim Hudson, Bret Saberhagen, Michael Wacha, and Lon Warneke. All nine of them are right handed. Steve Carlton will break that when he eventually retires. Steve Rogers should make ten eventually (another righty!), then Alex Cobb, Lefty Gomez (finally a lefty! and will go in as a Tiger), and Dutch E Leonard. Bunning, Rogers, and Cobb will all go in as Philadelphia Athletics, so that team's been blessed with the best years of some great pitchers, and they've used it to their advantage, going to the playoffs 12 times in 31 years (tied for most playoff appearances with the Pittsburgh Pirates - I take the top two teams in the American and National Leagues every year).

Right now (1932), the Tigers have a lineup that is the envy of the baseball world. DH Irish Meusel (.314, 10 HR, 54 RBI after 79 games) hits second, CF Mickey Mantle (.348, 23 HR, 62 RBI) hits third, LF Duffy Lewis (.324, 12 HR, 71 RBI) hits fourth, and RF Tom Brunansky (.294, 24 HR, 71 RBI) hits fifth. SS Kevin Elster has chipped in with 11 HR and 47 RBI out of the number eight slot. This has allowed them to bludgeon the opposition for 5.75 runs per game (sheesh!), and they sit atop the American League by 1 game over the always dangerous New York Yankees (7 World Championships so far, despite getting to the playoffs "only" 11 times). I'll give you one guess as to what the Tigers' weakness is...That's right...They've got a freakin' hand grenade brigade for a bullpen...A 5.22 ERA, which is obviously not the envy of the baseball world. We'll see if they can continue to brutalize the opposition all the way to the playoffs, or if that kerosene fire will burn them in the end.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-24-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #125
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

How's Dave Stieb doing in your game?
Old 02-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #126
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
He's a youngster, but he's fast becoming a stud. I will try to give a more substantial update later when I get home from work.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #127
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Stieb entered the league in 1984 at the age of 21. He drafted by the Indianapolis Arrow, round 1, pick 11. Stieb went 22-7 3.08 125 ERA+ as a rookie in 1984. Believe it or not, he didn't win rookie of the year, losing out to Anthony Rendon .314/.389/.447 14 home runs. 1985, 19-11 2.74 143 ERA+. Indianapolis would lose to the Dallas Eagles in 7 games in the 85 World Series. Stieb had a bad post season, starting 3 WS games losing them all with a 7.31 ERA. So far in 1986 he is 11-5 with a 2.88 ERA and 134 ERA+. So overall, he is 52-23 2.90 134ERA+ 13.1 WAR. Indianapolis is once again leading their division. Joining Stieb in the rotation are Johan Santana, Dave McNally and Fausto Carmona. Their big hitters are Ken William(power hitter from the 20's) Chet Lemon and Larry Parrish

Last edited by David Watts; 02-24-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #128
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Stieb entered the league in 1984 at the age of 21. He drafted by the Indianapolis Arrow, round 1, pick 11. Stieb went 22-7 3.08 125 ERA+ as a rookie in 1984. Believe it or not, he didn't win rookie of the year, losing out to Anthony Rendon .314/.389/.447 14 home runs. 1985, 19-11 2.74 143 ERA+. Indianapolis would lose to the Dallas Eagles in 7 games in the 85 World Series. Stieb had a bad post season, starting 3 WS games losing them all with a 7.31 ERA. So far in 1986 he is 11-5 with a 2.88 ERA and 134 ERA+. So overall, he is 52-23 2.90 134ERA+ 13.1 WAR. Indianapolis is once again leading their division. Joining Stieb in the rotation are Johan Santana, Dave McNally and Fausto Carmona. Their big hitters are Ken William(power hitter from the 20's) Chet Lemon and Larry Parrish
That's my guy. There he is...The pitcher of the '80's.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #129
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

...Sorry to report this David Watts. The Tigers were able to hang onto first place as they went 95-67 and finished nine up on the Yankees despite a disgusting 4.84 Bullpen ERA.

So it was Tigers/Yankees in the ALCS. The Yankees blasted the Tigers 12-2 in Game 1. Tigers came back in Game 2 with a 6-3 win, but the Yankees took Games 3 and 4 6-4 and 4-1. So, the Tigers were down 3 games to 1. They fought back in Games 5 and 6 and won 5-4 and 5-2.

In Game 5 though there was some major foreshadowing of what unfortunately (for the Tigers) was to come. SP Roy Patterson was dominating the Yankees, entering the bottom of the ninth inning up 5-0. He got the first hitter Keith Lampard on a grounder to second. For some reason, the Tigers' manager lifted Patterson with two outs to get, up 5-0. Maybe it was because he'd thrown 114 pitches. Who knows?

Anyway Marc Hall came on, and was a disaster. Roberto Ortiz doubled, Logan Morrison singled, Brock Holt tripled them both in and was balked home during Karim Garcia's at bat. K. Garcia flied out to left and there were finally two outs.

Ramon Garcia relieved the inept Hall with the Tigers up 5-3. Jack Hiatt singled and was tripled home by Jeff Reed. Lou Whitaker was walked (unintentionally intentionally perhaps) on four pitches. Aaron Hill to the plate down 5-4 with two ducks on the pond and two out and he grounds out back to the mound. Oye! The Tiger manager must've run through a lot of Maalox, cigarettes, and who knows maybe some booze (after all it is 1932), in that winner of an inning...But they won the game, and as outlined above, they won Game 6.

Off to Game 7 we go. All things are running smoothly for the Tigers through six, as they're up 4-0, with Lee Grissom tossing the shutout. He gives up a single to Jim Clark to lead off the seventh, and is yanked in favour of Charlie Sproull after 105 pitches.

Sproull walks Chico Walker, and a groundout from Brock Holt moves the runners up to second and third. Aaron Hill then triples to score Clark and Walker. Whitaker grounds out to short to score Hill, and Jack Hiatt grounds out to end the inning at 4-3 Detroit. In the bottom of the seventh Mickey Mantle hits a solo blast to put the Tigers up 5-3. Sproull retires the Yanks in order on groundouts in the top of the eighth, the bottom of the eighth is uneventful, and now we're headed for the ninth inning.

Marc Hall relieves Sproull, and gets Jim Clark to fly out and strikes out Chico Walker. Two out...Nobody on. Brock Holt walks, Aaron Hill singles and up steps "Sweet" Lou Whitaker. The first pitch is smacked 394 feet over the right centre field fence, and the crowd goes dead silent. They've seen this before. Ramon Garcia relieves Hall, and gets Jack Hiatt to ground out, but the damage is done. We head to the bottom of the ninth. Paul Musser on in relief for the Yanks. Rafael Ramirez leads off for the Tigers with a double...And the roar of the crowd is back...Irish Meusel, Mickey Mantle, and Duffy Lewis are due up...Good things are gonna happen right?...Er no...Musser whiffs Meusel and Mantle back to back, and gets Duffy Lewis to fly out ending the game

...6-5 Yanks final...4 games to 3 Yanks final. Now that's a soul crushing loss after almost coming back in the series from 3 games to 1 down. I guess the saving grace for you is that Lou Whitaker of the Yankees was named ALCS MVP with a .280/.419/.800/1.219 series and 3 HR and 9 RBI. That bullpen did come back to bite the Tigers in the end...Sound familiar? Ouch!

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-25-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #130
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Stieb finished the 86 season 19-10 2.94, 212 strikeouts, 1.16 WHIP, 133 ERA+. Indianapolis made the World Series once again, this time against the Chicago Hooligans. Stieb pitched and lost the first game of the series. Sad to report, he also strained his forearm in the game and missed the rest of the series. Indianapolis would go on to win the series in 7 games.

No players were inducted into the Hall following the 86 season, but get this, Lou Whitaker received 74.6% of the votes. So damn close. Hank Greenberg received 73.3 and Jim Kaat received 69.9. Johnny Mize received 63.6.

Interesting draft class imported. Lefty Gomez, Jeff Burroughs and Willie McCovey. McCovey went 1st to Pittsburgh, Burroughs 2nd to Cleveland and Gomez 4th to Toronto. Buffalo actually picked Octavio Dotel with the 3rd pick.

Rick Porcello was also part of the draft. Will be interesting to follow his career.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #131
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Stieb finished the 86 season 19-10 2.94, 212 strikeouts, 1.16 WHIP, 133 ERA+. Indianapolis made the World Series once again, this time against the Chicago Hooligans. Stieb pitched and lost the first game of the series. Sad to report, he also strained his forearm in the game and missed the rest of the series. Indianapolis would go on to win the series in 7 games.

No players were inducted into the Hall following the 86 season, but get this, Lou Whitaker received 74.6% of the votes. So damn close. Hank Greenberg received 73.3 and Jim Kaat received 69.9. Johnny Mize received 63.6.

Interesting draft class imported. Lefty Gomez, Jeff Burroughs and Willie McCovey. McCovey went 1st to Pittsburgh, Burroughs 2nd to Cleveland and Gomez 4th to Toronto. Buffalo actually picked Octavio Dotel with the 3rd pick.

Rick Porcello was also part of the draft. Will be interesting to follow his career.
You must have "Use pre-defined draft value for AI" checked. I do too, and I love it because it keeps the AI from being stupid. In this case, McCovey's draft value is 2588, Burroughs' is 1689, Dotel's is 1572, and Gomez' is 1376, so it did it properly. I'm not sure how Dotel is valued more highly than Gomez, but he did play 15 seasons, while Gomez played just 14. Still, I would've thought that a SP was far more valuable than a RP, wouldn't you? With McCovey and Burroughs, their draft values are exactly equal to the number of games they played in the big leagues. Something fishy about that because McCovey was a far better ballplayer than Burroughs...Seems like a lazy way out to me, and not a very accurate way of doing things...Oh well. Must mean the OOTP player can steal a stud like Trout or Harper kind of easily. Hmmm...

...Good to hear about Stieb. Hope he keeps it up, and goes to the HoF like he could've IRL if his stupid win total had been higher. Pitching wins...Aargh! Kill the win I say! Oh well, I guess he'll have to be happy with the Hall of Merit and the Hall of Stats for now and maybe one day the HoF in David Watts OOTP random debut historical game? Yeah...That's the ticket! Mr. Whitaker will get there next time around. Greenberg, Kaat, and Mize probably too. How many more times on the ballot do they have?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #132
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You must have "Use pre-defined draft value for AI" checked. I do too, and I love it because it keeps the AI from being stupid. In this case, McCovey's draft value is 2588, Burroughs' is 1689, Dotel's is 1572, and Gomez' is 1376, so it did it properly. I'm not sure how Dotel is valued more highly than Gomez, but he did play 15 seasons, while Gomez played just 14. Still, I would've thought that a SP was far more valuable than a RP, wouldn't you? With McCovey and Burroughs, their draft values are exactly equal to the number of games they played in the big leagues. Something fishy about that because McCovey was a far better ballplayer than Burroughs...Seems like a lazy way out to me, and not a very accurate way of doing things...Oh well. Must mean the OOTP player can steal a stud like Trout or Harper kind of easily. Hmmm...

...Good to hear about Stieb. Hope he keeps it up, and goes to the HoF like he could've IRL if his stupid win total had been higher. Pitching wins...Aargh! Kill the win I say! Oh well, I guess he'll have to be happy with the Hall of Merit and the Hall of Stats for now and maybe one day the HoF in David Watts OOTP random debut historical game? Yeah...That's the ticket! Mr. Whitaker will get there next time around. Greenberg, Kaat, and Mize probably too. How many more times on the ballot do they have?
Greenberg and Whitaker have 3 more chances. Kaat has 2 more and Mize has 7.

Man, Dave Parker just keeps on trucking in my league. He's 41 years old. He has 3353 hits, 444 home runs and 1934 rbi's. He's the career leader for both hits and rbi's. He also has 589 doubles. He's been so damn consistent for his entire career. He's having a solid year again this season. Wow, I love stuff like this.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #133
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Aye caramba! Mickey Mantle of the Tigers just hit for the Triple Crown in 1933, and when the Mick hits for the Triple Crown, he annihilates the field. He won the AL batting title by almost 50 points over Rod Carew with a .387 average (was exactly at .400 on September 1st, and .401 on September 8th - season ended October 1st). Outhomered the second place guy (some dude named Bob O Jones) by 23 HR, with 63 HR. Had 42 more RBI than the runner up Bob O Jones (Mr. Jones had a nice season, but nothing like this), with 161 RBI. He also scored 149 freakin' runs! Criminy! I've never seen anything like this before. He had a freakin' slash line of .387/.490/.758/1.248 for cryin' out loud! 448 Total Bases! This is still with 1984 for stats output in a season that had a .261 MLB average, a slash line of .261/.324/.385/.709, and slightly below average HR output (RL output was 0.02265 HR/AB, this 1933 season was 0.02215 HR/AB; Mantle had a staggering 0.1066 HR/AB - somebody find this guy another league). Then there was the cartoonish 16.3 WAR, and the outrageous 10.6 WPA. As Ken "Hawk" Harrelson would say "You gotta be bleepin' bleepin' me!!!" With that, the Mick is now my game's all-time single season leader in BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, R, TB, HR, RBI, and WAR, probably WPA too, but the game doesn't seem to keep track of that, and it's all from 1933. Crazy!

Totally outdid the Cardinals' Gene Tenace, who almost won the NL Triple Crown with a .327, 44 HR, 110 RBI (8 RBI short, Graig Nettles (BSN) had 118, Vince DiMaggio (CIN) had 114) season and an incredible (for a catcher) slash line of .327/.436/.669/1.105. His season got completely overshadowed by Mantle and he'll probably win the NL MVP.

The only question that remains is...Can the Tigers win their 2nd World Series in 5 years and 3rd overall? Stay tuned...

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-01-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #134
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Will play the final weekend of 1987 this evening. Fernando Valenzuela put on a show in 87. 27 wins with only a handful of losses. He's now won 49 games over the last 2 seasons. He has his Dallas Eagles in the post season. Looks like he will face either the Cincinnati Atoms or the Buffalo Bonecrushers. The Atoms have led for most of the season and have a magic number of 2 with 3 games remaining. Buffalo challenging for the title is amazing as they are an expansion team.

It's going to be interesting to see who the OOTP Gods pick for rookie of the year. Willie McCovey has 32 bombs and an average just over .300. He's had a couple DL stints during the season. Steve Balboni has 42 bombs and is leading the RDL in RBI's with 130+.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #135
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Another odd little tidbit that I find interesting. Pat Malone a pitcher in the bigs from 1928-1937, 134-92 with 1024 strikeouts over 1915 career innings is fast becoming a force in my random debut league. He whiffed 350+ batters in 86 and has over 300 again in 87. His high in real life was 166. It will be interesting to see if Malone continues to dominate batters or if he simply had a couple great seasons. I'm pulling for him.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #136
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Aye caramba! Mickey Mantle of the Tigers just hit for the Triple Crown in 1933, and when the Mick hits for the Triple Crown, he annihilates the field. He won the AL batting title by almost 50 points over Rod Carew with a .387 average (was exactly at .400 on September 1st, and .401 on September 8th - season ended October 1st). Outhomered the second place guy (some dude named Bob O Jones) by 23 HR, with 63 HR. Had 42 more RBI than the runner up Bob O Jones (Mr. Jones had a nice season, but nothing like this), with 161 RBI. He also scored 149 freakin' runs! Criminy! I've never seen anything like this before. He had a freakin' slash line of .387/.490/.758/1.248 for cryin' out loud! 448 Total Bases! This is still with 1984 for stats output in a season that had a .261 MLB average, a slash line of .261/.324/.385/.709, and slightly below average HR output (RL output was 0.02265 HR/AB, this 1933 season was 0.02215 HR/AB; Mantle had a staggering 0.1066 HR/AB - somebody find this guy another league). Then there was the cartoonish 16.3 WAR, and the outrageous 10.6 WPA. As Ken "Hawk" Harrelson would say "You gotta be bleepin' bleepin' me!!!" With that, the Mick is now my game's all-time single season leader in BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, R, TB, HR, RBI, and WAR, probably WPA too, but the game doesn't seem to keep track of that, and it's all from 1933. Crazy!

Totally outdid the Cardinals' Gene Tenace, who almost won the NL Triple Crown with a .327, 44 HR, 110 RBI (8 RBI short, Graig Nettles (BSN) had 118, Vince DiMaggio (CIN) had 114) season and an incredible (for a catcher) slash line of .327/.436/.669/1.105. His season got completely overshadowed by Mantle and he'll probably win the NL MVP.

The only question that remains is...Can the Tigers win their 2nd World Series in 5 years and 3rd overall? Stay tuned...
Can you imagine how crazy the press coverage of a season like Mantles would be? Nettles is just an OOTP rbi machine.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #137
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Will play the final weekend of 1987 this evening. Fernando Valenzuela put on a show in 87. 27 wins with only a handful of losses. He's now won 49 games over the last 2 seasons. He has his Dallas Eagles in the post season. Looks like he will face either the Cincinnati Atoms or the Buffalo Bonecrushers. The Atoms have led for most of the season and have a magic number of 2 with 3 games remaining. Buffalo challenging for the title is amazing as they are an expansion team.

It's going to be interesting to see who the OOTP Gods pick for rookie of the year. Willie McCovey has 32 bombs and an average just over .300. He's had a couple DL stints during the season. Steve Balboni has 42 bombs and is leading the RDL in RBI's with 130+.
NandoMania. I remember that. My money's on that McCovey kid. Balboni's a little one dimensional, and has difficulty getting on base IIRC.

By the way, the 1933 Tigers ran out of miracles and lost to the Giants in seven games in the World Series. They were down 3 games to 1 to the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS before rallying to come back and win 4-3. Then they lost the first two games of the World Series to the Giants, but managed to sweep in New York, and went home up 3 games to 2, needing only one win to take the series. Alas, it was to be the World Series of bad home cooking, as no home team won, and there wasn't even a one-run game in sight.

The Tiger fans are starting to wonder if this Mantle kid can take them to the promised land. Personally, I think they're getting a little spoiled. I mean they've finished first in the league five times in his first six full seasons, and prior to that they had never finished first in their history (27 seasons), and had only gone to the playoffs three times in that period, once via a one game playoff. Yeah, he didn't hit any HR in the post-season after hitting 63 this year, and blah, blah, blah, and what have you done for me lately? But a look at his career post-season numbers shows he's hit .344/.439/.644/1.083 with a 201 OPS+, a 192 wRC+ in 46 career post-season games, with 37 runs, 11 HR, and 40 RBI and 3.0 WAR. His regular season numbers show a .329/.425/.610/1.035 slash line with a 188 OPS+, a 180 wRC+ in 995 G, 979 GS, with 770 runs, 262 HR, 800 RBI and 61.3 WAR. So he has been a slightly better hitter in the postseason, but these fans are gettin' antsy.

Through the six Mantle full seasons so far: 1928: Swept the Indians in the ALCS, got swept in the World Series by the Pirates...1929: Beat the Red Sox 4-3 in the ALCS, beat the Braves 4-2 in the World Series (poor Boston...not)...1930: Finished 5th in the league at 81-81...1931: Swept by the Indians in the ALCS after a 101 win season with a +206 run differential...1932: Yankees upset the Tigers 4-3 in the ALCS...1933: Tigers beat Red Sox 4-3 in the ALCS, but lose to the Giants 4-3 in the World Series after a 102 win season and a +249 run differential. Wrap it up, it shows that the Tigers have finished first in the league five times in his six full seasons so far, but only have one World Series to show for it. He is fortunately signed for five more seasons, six if he picks up his player option in 1939. Will the Tigers waste his prime? Time will tell, but the natives sure are gettin' restless.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-02-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #138
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can you imagine how crazy the press coverage of a season like Mantles would be? Nettles is just an OOTP rbi machine.
It would be absolute wall-to-wall ridiculous insanity. Mantle actually won the triple crown the year before as well (I just didn't notice it), and has now won 4 straight MVP awards (I haven't actually done the awards yet, but...yeah ). He also led the league the year before in PA, R, H, 3B, HR, RBI, BB, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, and WAR. This year he did not lead in PA or 3B, but he led every other category.

As for Nettles, he won the MVP last year in his age 22 season and should be around the top 3 this year (again haven't done it yet, so not 100% sure). Last year he hit .320/.409/.570/.979 (192 OPS+, 203 wRC+) with 40 HR and 110 RBI. This year he hit .311/.386/.579/.965 (170 OPS+, 171 wRC+) with 43 HR and 118 RBI. He's playing for the Braves who are a real sad sack outfit, with a .462 WPCT in 33 seasons. They've made the playoffs five times and never won the big enchilada.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #139
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It would be absolute wall-to-wall ridiculous insanity. Mantle actually won the triple crown the year before as well (I just didn't notice it), and has now won 4 straight MVP awards (I haven't actually done the awards yet, but...yeah ). He also led the league the year before in PA, R, H, 3B, HR, RBI, BB, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, and WAR. This year he did not lead in PA or 3B, but he led every other category.

As for Nettles, he won the MVP last year in his age 22 season and should be around the top 3 this year (again haven't done it yet, so not 100% sure). Last year he hit .320/.409/.570/.979 (192 OPS+, 203 wRC+) with 40 HR and 110 RBI. This year he hit .311/.386/.579/.965 (170 OPS+, 171 wRC+) with 43 HR and 118 RBI. He's playing for the Braves who are a real sad sack outfit, with a .462 WPCT in 33 seasons. They've made the playoffs five times and never won the big enchilada.
I'm waiting for someone to have a run of MVP's like that in my league. Cobb has several, but I'm not sure if I've had anyone win back to back yet. I know for sure I haven't had anyone win 3 in a row. Same for Cy Youngs. Got to see the top players importing for 88. No one too exciting, but sometimes there's a surprise or two the game doesn't feature in the email. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #140
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm waiting for someone to have a run of MVP's like that in my league. Cobb has several, but I'm not sure if I've had anyone win back to back yet. I know for sure I haven't had anyone win 3 in a row. Same for Cy Youngs. Got to see the top players importing for 88. No one too exciting, but sometimes there's a surprise or two the game doesn't feature in the email. Fingers crossed.
I've seen MVP runs like that, but never Cy Young runs, except for Clayton Kershaw who won three in a row and then fizzled at age 29. I guess pitching is tougher. I forgot that this won't be four in a row for Mantle, it'll be three. SP Paul Splittorff broke through and won the MVP in 1930, and Mantle finished fourth that year. Mike Schmidt had four in a row from 1925 through 1928. Frank Robinson had five out of six from 1910 to 1915 ('10, '11, '12, '14, '15). Neil Walker (of all people) had a career year in 1913, and Robinson finished third in MVP voting that year. Reggie Smith also had three in a row, and has six total, as does Frank Robinson.

Fingers crossed for more exciting players for you. You never know with those guys that didn't play too much IRL. Sometimes the player development system takes them all the way to the HoF like Tillie Shafer in my game.