Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Mizzery
Minors (Single A)

Anybody track total PP earned by player?

I have been saving all of the relevant stats for all of my teams since launch, but have not been tracking PP for achievements by player. I’m now kicking myself as that seems like potentially important data- if you had two comparable players by rating and by WAR, but you knew that one generated significantly more achievement points, you would defer to that player.

This information is not archived at the player or team level with the rest of their stats, correct?

Intuitively, it seems like the highest achievement points are normally earned by starting pitching, followed by power hitters, and third by contact hitters,with minimal points earned by defensive oriented players or relievers. While I wouldn’t consider it a design flaw, a SS like A Simmons or Aparicio that earns high WAR totals may never earn any achievement points, unless they stumble into an occasional 5 hit game.

Does anybody have the data to see if this is correct?
Mizzery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
reo
Minors (Triple A)

Pitching kills, especially power pitchers, and in the lower levels, so if you're lucky to pull something early (I pulled a perfect Sale on my F2P team). You'll be in business. I didn't login to my f2p team for a bit, and currently have 10-12K to spend, it has been fun.
Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I haven't tracked it by player. I change players about as often as I change underwear so it wouldn't be meaningful. However, I have tracked it by achievement. Here are my top 5 in terms of PP earned.

Corner painter (10k) 9280pp (116@80)
Playoffs 5000pp (5@1000)
Putting Up Zeros (shutout) 4100pp (41@100)
Comeback (from 10R behind) 4000pp (1)
All Hits (every player in lineup) 3630pp (121@30)

So you could say starting pitching is worth more.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

I do keep track of individual achievements per player. This post gave me a kick to actually do some very basic analysis to see if your hunch regarding SP is correct. But just eyeballing the data, and relying on experience (mine as well as other poster's like reo), I'd say that most definitely SP earns the most PP.

But I like your question about whether or not a player's OVR correlated to the amount of PP he achieved, given the climate of SP's gaining the most.

I've had Max Scherzer (97) and Larry Dierker (83) for the last 5 seasons, the last 4 being Diamond on teams that had losing records. There's clearly not enough data, but here's what Excel spits out:

Dierker, by virtue of Throwing a Maddux (400) last season, finishes with 1500 PP to Scherzer's 1480 after 5 full seasons.

But yeah, the data is so incomplete and subject to outliers. Rich Hill earned 1760 for me one year in Silver for pitching a no-hitter. Despite the deficiencies in the data set, it's pretty fun to look at!

If I have time - meaning if I shirk off my other duties - I'll see if I can coddle together some more graphs to help prove your point.

Last edited by Renfro; 02-20-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I kept track by player for 10 weeks, but gave up because I never looked at it afterwards. Plus, as mentioned, rare achievements influence the results. My leading PP earner by far is Matty Alou, who had 12K in 1 day all by himself. (40+ game hitting streak ended and hot bat on the same day). What I did learn was that hitting provides most of the PP at perfect level, followed by "whole team" achievements (ie making the playoffs, comebacks etc). I still keep track by day, so I know, below perfect level, 2K per day is a reasonable goal, but 1K at perfect level is the norm. At all levels, hitting is king for PP, especially bronze level. My best week was 31K (bronze level), worst week 7K (perfect level). Worst day: 330 PP. Total earnings 150K+ (A team), B team (which includes M. Alou, is incomplete, but is less since I ignored the team totally for 5 weeks.) Can you export the transaction log to a spreadsheet?

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
worst week 7K (perfect level).
This is your worst? YGBSM

Our experiences have been EXTREMELY different.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
This is your worst? YGBSM

Our experiences have been EXTREMELY different.
heh... that's the truth...

my worst week so far is 1870 points (diamond level)... worst day 130 (and what's really sad about that, 50 of those came from quick-selling 1 bronze/5 iron cards )
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Here is my complete tally for the A team which I spent $$$ on. Even my B team which is F2P is making 2K per day easily on the average, of course.
I post this teams track record, which shows when I converted this team to focus on hitting, hitting, hitting. I spent the time in bronze cross-training players at multiple positions and as their defense improved so did my pitching ERA, even though most of the pitchers were just random tin guys. When your team is scoring 900+ runs each week, you are getting tons of PP. One of the advantages of bad starting pitching and good hitting is all the comeback PP you can make! I spent no money on this team and no significant pack pulls, either. If I were really smart, I'd downgrade my starting pitching (but not my bullpen) as much as possible to stay in the lower levels until I had enough PP to thrive in Perfect Level, BEFORE moving up. What's the point of moving up if your PP income grinds to a halt with a team that can't compete on the level it is at, but is good enough not to get relegated? This team looks to be moving up prematurely, however. It's just too hard to keep it down.
Attached Images
Image Image 

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
If I were really smart, I'd downgrade my starting pitching (but not my bullpen) as much as possible to stay in the lower levels until I had enough PP to thrive in Perfect Level, BEFORE moving up. What's the point of moving up if your PP income grinds to a halt with a team that can't compete on the level it is at, but is good enough not to get relegated?
My first season in Diamond (2024), I finished 71-91. The next season, I was extremely concerned with avoiding relegation. However, with minimal upgrades but a significantly easier league and division, I finished 90-72 and won the division (with the weakest record among my fellow winners) and eventually the World Series. I never had a chance to figure out which experience was more representative of Diamond Level competition. It ultimately did not matter because I did not have a choice - I was promoting whether I thought I was ready or not.

The next 4 seasons in Perfect produced the following results:

64 Wins, 5180 Points via achievements (including post-season awards)
66 Wins, 3920 Points
73 Wins, 6405 Points
41 Wins, 2115 Points

I was good enough to avoid relegation, but I was extremely noncompetitive, giving my opponents far too many achievements based on their great performances. I was content with losing though because - having not thought to track my points earnings previously - I assumed that 4k to 5k points was an average amount to earn. Now I'm being told that my best was worse than your worst?

I am sorry, but our experiences were, in fact, vastly different, and thinking that it is something within our direct control insults our understanding of this game.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote