Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #141
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Playing stats only does not change anything about the game or how the AI operates. Only the amount of information you see. All the ratings are still there and the AI still uses whatever it uses to do it's thing. The ratings are just hidden from you leaving you only player performance and the scouts written reports to go on.

so you don't change the AI evaluation to stats only also?
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #142
dward1
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Playing stats only does not change anything about the game or how the AI operates. Only the amount of information you see. All the ratings are still there and the AI still uses whatever it uses to do it's thing. The ratings are just hidden from you leaving you only player performance and the scouts written reports to go on.
right I understand but was wondering if you changed the AI to evaluate players by stats mainly to have some consistency with contracts and so you won't know something was up when the AI keeps trying to trade for a player with poor stats (telling you he has good ratings in a way)
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #143
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
so you don't change the AI evaluation to stats only also?
I change the AI evaluation to stats only, no ratings, and I set the AI evaluation values at 50% current year, 33% last year, 17% two years ago. There's nothing sacred about those numbers, use the ones that give you the results that you like best.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #144
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

I want to play Stats only with just Speed shown. However, the setup screens don't seem to give an option for that. I just saw the Ratings Scale option (with 'none displayed' as a choice) but didn't see a section to specify which ratings I do want displayed?
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #145
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You're welcome.

Stats only is not for everyone, but it sure makes the game feel much more fun and realistic to me.
a few questions
1. Will pitcher velocity still show up? Do you have it on by default, can you even turn it off?
2. Do you play out your games or are you just the GM? What are the positive and negatives if you are the MGR?
3. If you do manage how do you tell who can play which position and who are your speed vs power guys?
4. Is it possible to have a college league that has a drafts from HS players and then of course MLB drafts from college only?

I really want to try stats only in my ABF league when I finally get to 2000. I was thinking about starting a new 2000 league with real teams and 60 or so NCAA teams along with some HS teams and then playing stats only.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #146
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Been playing this game forever, and tried every which way to play, and every time I come back and start a new solo league, it's stats only. Star ratings, and showing the numbers for players just didn't keep me interested, but hey, that's just me.

Hey, to each his own, but my attention span is about that of my four year old grandson, so I used to get bored fast with ratings, stars, etc. But I will say that playing "stats only" has kept my attention through many seasons. And if you take your time, and track the players that you draft, it is really fun to see how good your "gut" feeling was on a player. And goes without saying that you always play fictional.

At the same time, the other "challenging" way I've found to play the game, is to continuously year in and year out, have the lowest, or nearly the lowest payroll. Be the next Billy Beane, or be like the Astros. Do you have the patience to see your "frugal" ways pay off? And most of the time, I play seasons without making any trades at all. I really want to see how far my team can go this way. Just my two cents, and again, there are so many different ways to enjoy this game. I've really enjoyed reading this post, and have picked up on some new and different ways to play the game. Great thing is, after all these years, I'm still learning different ways to play, and enjoying the game.

Last edited by progen; 12-17-2014 at 08:47 PM.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #147
Go Middies
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post

At the same time, the other "challenging" way I've found to play the game, is to continuously year in and year out, have the lowest, or nearly the lowest payroll. Be the next Billy Beane, or be like the Astros. Do you have the patience to see your "frugal" ways pay off? And most of the time, I play seasons without making any trades at all. I really want to see how far my team can go this way.
I took an expansion team when I went to 32 from 30 and got stuck with a "Tolerant/Controlling" owner. Initial budget: $120M. There wasn't a choice but to keep the payroll anywhere between 28th and 32nd in the league.... but I enjoyed tinkering with the team.
Go Middies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #148
USF
All Star Starter

My friends and I are seriously considering this type of league for our next ONLINE league project - thanks for the INPUT.

Imho if you get into this you might as well go all the way so when we say SO only we are going to do SO !

Scouts ON but, set to VERY LOW and we will take each scouting directors ratings and input 1 so they are pretty much useless.

Last edited by USF; 09-22-2017 at 03:48 PM.
USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #149
kuma78
Major Leagues

Tried it, but had a hard time filling it and hard time keeping it full.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #150
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma78 View Post
Tried it, but had a hard time filling it and hard time keeping it full.
Yeah we have a good core of 10 right now, Ideally we would like to get to 12.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #151
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
I've done that in the past (I play 2-8 for all ratings, to at least get a little fog of war). My problem is that once players get past prospect stage, the potential rating turns into an excellent proxy for their current rating, and my senses tingle at looking and relying on those values.

As for the whole ratings vs scouting reports, I think a large factor to me of why I prefer scouting reports is the ease of use. In that, scouting reports are tedious to look through. So yes, if I opened up all my players scouting reports every day, I would know exactly the same as the ratings show me. But since I only open them up when needed, I don't get that same info. Some players I will basically never open their scouting report - if they're hitting as I expect, there's no point. So with that, if they start declining, and the scouting report has them go from an ace to a #2-3 starter to a #4-5 starter, I don't catch that unless if I actually see their performance drop. With ratings, you see it plain and obvious, and know exactly when your players start that downward trend as they get old, even if their stats are keeping pace.

The one thing I would like to see changed is the shift in scouting reports from potential when they are a prospect to be more reflective of their current stats (not ratings). I do know it shifts at one point - I occasionally have those like 26 year old "prospects" whose scouting report says they are destined for great things one day, then the next the scouting report has them as a middling AAAA player. But for a guy who's an established player, can quite clearly see what their current stats are showing - what I really want to see at that point are causes for concern, trends in the last year, and some sort of note about the longevity of their career. So if I have a guy like Kershaw, whose current scouting report says "potential HOF pitcher", I don't care if next season his scouting report says, "he may be a good #2 starter" - I'd much rather see a scouting report say, "his velocity is down from last year, and he has lost some control. We feel he should still be an effective #2 starter going forward". We're getting there with the development reports, but that's about the only thing that's missing from stats-only mode right now for me.
I think the problem you will have there are those players that get limited AB or IP which will totally skew such reports.

I'd like to see if the developers for OOTP19 could at least show us the type of pitches as an option ON or OFF when you turn ratings/potentials/OVR off. That would make the STATS only option a better experience. It is fair to say that we should know this information at a minimum. Maybe include a simple line in the scouting reports (even when set to VERY LOW) that gives us this basic information.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #152
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
For those who may consider trying stat's only, just keep in mind that the realism factor can easily be minimized if the creation of the league is not executed properly. Here are a few tips I have for those that might be intrigued by the idea.

#1: It's nearly impossible to evaluate speed, and defense can be a very difficult to determine as well. I would suggest having ratings displayed for speed and defense, though only a ten-point scale. Keep in mind that defensive ratings will still be subjective if you have scouts. Speed is an easily measurable tool with little variation, so there's no need to hide that rating.

#2: Don't turn scouts off. The moment scouts are turned off, the OSA scouting reports will immediately become 100% correct. Though granted, there is still some level of doubt given that ratings are on a 1-250 scale, and the written scouting reports are generated (from my understanding) on a 1-10 scale. Furthermore, these written reports do not take into account lefty/righty shifts in performance, gap, or other such values that ratings do. They're accurate but not overly so. Nevertheless, turn scouts on.

#3: Once scouts are turned on, I would suggest setting the scouting to either 'low' or for even more emphasis on stats, 'very low'. I've found very low to be the most realistic in my leagues. Low tends to me too accurate, and as a stats only player, that's what we're trying to avoid. You want maximum emphasis on stats and a minimal amount on written reports, as a real GM has to his disposal.

#4: ONLY FOR ONLINE LEAGUES -- Make sure everyone's scout has the same ability and give them 100 year contracts to avoid unfairness between teams, and certain teams having an advantage based on their scouts ability.

#5: Finally, feeders are a must for stats only leagues. Furthermore, the more games the better. A typical High School season is 20 games, though you will have no clue whatsoever what a players ability is after 20 games. I would suggest 80 or so games both for the college feeder and the high school one.

Just a few things I learned...
To your point in #4. Go in and change the ratings for each scout to be the same too = 1 at each category.

I also recommend using the Other Ratings ON (1-5) cause things like speed, arm etc would be known by a scout and also considering we cant see the pitchers pitches at least this will give you the stamina rating in lieu of that..