Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

About the new Camera Angles

The 3 views for the camera that follows the action - we can customize these I understand. Will we be able to use our custom created views as part of the or all of the 3 views?

Tks
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
The 3 views for the camera that follows the action - we can customize these I understand. Will we be able to use our custom created views as part of the or all of the 3 views?

Tks
You can use your custom created views for any of the 3 views.

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

After seeing it in action last night on Twitch, I wondered if the camera could zoom to the action - OR if that might be possible in the future.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
After seeing it in action last night on Twitch, I wondered if the camera could zoom to the action - OR if that might be possible in the future.
It does zoom in a little, and for some things like plays at the plate, we do get in a little closer than the few demo videos we showed on stream.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
swoboda
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault View Post
You can use your custom created views for any of the 3 views.
Yes. !!

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

One thing I am a bit concerned about was, and maybe it was just the video, but on the First Look broadcast, the transitions between views looked a bit choppy. Also, I noticed that when the camera rose to follow a fly ball, the camera itself seemed to actually rise; that is, the background beyond centerfield rose and fell which would only be realistic if the camera was moving up and down on a pole or something.

EDIT: But I think I heard you say, Matt, that I can turn off Camera Angles and go with the version 20 view as a default. This is probably what I would prefer anyway because I like it. Options are always great.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-25-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Is "follow the ball" a specific view or will it work with close up views?

I tend to play with the camera zoomed in behind the plate (not quite as close as the built-in HP view), but will sometimes lose sight of the ball in the outfield corners. I don't really want to suddenly zoom out to a distance view to follow the ball.

My hope was follow the ball would function from whatever view you set up, but I have a feeling that is not the case.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Is "follow the ball" a specific view or will it work with close up views?

I tend to play with the camera zoomed in behind the plate (not quite as close as the built-in HP view), but will sometimes lose sight of the ball in the outfield corners. I don't really want to suddenly zoom out to a distance view to follow the ball.

My hope was follow the ball would function from whatever view you set up, but I have a feeling that is not the case.
The 1st and 2nd post answer your question - yes, you can set it up to use your custom views.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The 1st and 2nd post answer your question - yes, you can set it up to use your custom views.
I'm not sure they answered the "follow the ball" part of the question. What I'm asking is, if I create a view that is zoomed in behind the plate, will the camera follow the ball to the outfield so that I don't lose sight of the action in the corner without switching to a different view. In other words, will the camera turn to keep the ball in view without switching to a new, zoomed out view.

The demo we saw does not show that. It shows switching from a pre-pitch view to a zoomed out "follow the ball" view once the action starts.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

The current model you can choose 3 camera angles - one for "pre-pitch", one for during the pitch, and one for the action. You can have all 3 the same, or all 3 different. And you can turn on or off the "follow the ball" for any of them.

So if you like to play with a zoomed in behind the plate angle, you're more than welcome to use that for all 3 cameras, and then it will simply stay on that camera but move around in the action. I will say that behind the plate views do occasionally have trouble when the catcher moves in front of the camera, but it should still be able to pan around and follow the play.

And certainly, we will keep working on ways to improve things after release and for future years. I'd certainly love to be able to swap between multiple cameras in the action to dynamically adjust for the action on the field (ie. if you have a throw from LF to home, you'll get a different camera angle than a throw from RF home), but I obviously cannot guarantee when that level of control will be available in-game.

And you can also change cameras to watch the replay of the action too. So if you have a cool play at the plate that doesn't get caught by your camera, you can swap out your action cam to the one down the line and watch the replay from there too
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I'm not sure they answered the "follow the ball" part of the question. What I'm asking is, if I create a view that is zoomed in behind the plate, will the camera follow the ball to the outfield so that I don't lose sight of the action in the corner without switching to a different view. In other words, will the camera turn to keep the ball in view without switching to a new, zoomed out view.

The demo we saw does not show that. It shows switching from a pre-pitch view to a zoomed out "follow the ball" view once the action starts.
Gotcha, misunderstood your question.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:54 AM   #12
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
The current model you can choose 3 camera angles - one for "pre-pitch", one for during the pitch, and one for the action. You can have all 3 the same, or all 3 different. And you can turn on or off the "follow the ball" for any of them.

So if you like to play with a zoomed in behind the plate angle, you're more than welcome to use that for all 3 cameras, and then it will simply stay on that camera but move around in the action. I will say that behind the plate views do occasionally have trouble when the catcher moves in front of the camera, but it should still be able to pan around and follow the play.

And certainly, we will keep working on ways to improve things after release and for future years. I'd certainly love to be able to swap between multiple cameras in the action to dynamically adjust for the action on the field (ie. if you have a throw from LF to home, you'll get a different camera angle than a throw from RF home), but I obviously cannot guarantee when that level of control will be available in-game.

And you can also change cameras to watch the replay of the action too. So if you have a cool play at the plate that doesn't get caught by your camera, you can swap out your action cam to the one down the line and watch the replay from there too
Thanks for the info, Matt. My custom view is behind the plate but a little above the catcher so I can see more of the action without the catcher blocking my view. I'm not quite as zoomed in as the built-in HP view.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 AM   #13
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Gotcha, misunderstood your question.
Looking at it, I could have phrased the question better--which is an embarrassing thing for a writer and editor.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

On a side note...

After looking at the "follow the ball" sample in the video a number of times, I LOVE the idea but the way the background moves during those actions is really disorienting.

My suggestion - if that can't be easily fixed - would be to drop the background either during camera movement of do away with it altogether.

Thoughts?

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
VC15AP18
Minors (Rookie Ball)

With the new angles, i'm wondering is there any changes to how much detail is captured from custom uniforms etc, or more uniform slots per team etc.
VC15AP18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
On a side note...
After looking at the "follow the ball" sample in the video a number of times, I LOVE the idea but the way the background moves during those actions is really disorienting.

My suggestion - if that can't be easily fixed - would be to drop the background either during camera movement of do away with it altogether.

Thoughts?
Yes, I mentioned this earlier. That horizon movement is going to bother me with that camera angle, so it will need to be off until further improved. Sorry, but I don't think your alternatives would work for me either.

I don't want to harp on this, though. So far, it's the only aspect of 21 that is less than pleasing and it is a minor issue as well.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #17
wfborges
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I am having an annoying problem of having the default camera angles reset for each ballpark for each series. Maybe I missed a button or option somewhere. Is there a way to lock the preferred camera angles for each ballpark?
wfborges is offline   Reply With Quote