Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
swoboda
All Star Starter

Unhappy A's Baseball = No Radio Broadcast

If this starts a trend, I hate it. Nothing against streaming but radio baseball is one of life's joyful experiences...

https://m.sfgate.com/athletics/artic...n-15065057.php

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
If this starts a trend, I hate it. Nothing against streaming but radio baseball is one of life's joyful experiences...

https://m.sfgate.com/athletics/artic...n-15065057.php
The ownerless Expos are the only other team to ever do it. I would hope every team understands the power of baseball on the radio, but maybe it's not what the cool kids are up to these days. Transistor radio under the pillow FTW!

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
swoboda
All Star Starter

Not overstating this, one of my favorite things to do is to listen to day time baseball on the radio in the backyard during the summer time.

Not to mention the comfort of a broadcast while you're taking a long drive on your car radio.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
Not to mention the comfort of a broadcast while you're taking a long drive on your car radio.
A few years ago I was driving about 6-8 hours every weekend. I timed my drives around Giants games so I could catch them on the radio. I would have died without that.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
bailey
Hall Of Famer

It's not that they are not on the radio, just not on the radio in Oakland. They want to move from there anyway, don't they?

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
It's not that they are not on the radio, just not on the radio in Oakland. They want to move from there anyway, don't they?
Reminds me of a few years back when the Columbus Crew sold their TV rights to a cable service not available in Columbus. But that was an owner who was trying to set up low attendance so he could move the team.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Different sport, but the NHL's LA Kings left AM and went to iHeart radio a few years ago. Kinda mystified me because for people - like me - that drive a lot and bounce around on AM radio, if I were to stumble onto a Kings game (my NHL team), I'd listen. But I won't go out of my way to connect my phone, launch iHeart radio, etc...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

I don't think the A's had a radio or TV contract for a while during Charlie Finley's ownership because he was so cheap.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

You know why Baseball is going to kill this goose? Because it is the last way you can enjoy a ballgame live without having to pay for it. Baseball figures that for what it makes from radio broadcast rights, it will more than make up for in paid subscriptions. Welcome to the 21st Century! Having fun yet? No? Then open up your wallet more, fella!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #10
swoboda
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
You know why Baseball is going to kill this goose? Because it is the last way you can enjoy a ballgame live without having to pay for it. Baseball figures that for what it makes from radio broadcast rights, it will more than make up for in paid subscriptions. Welcome to the 21st Century! Having fun yet? No? Then open up your wallet more, fella!
You got it, money talks loudest.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Love baseball radio, time to listen to some Spring Training!

(MLB do make some money, as normally their ‘At Bat’/app subscription includes all radio broadcasts)
Old 02-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #12
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

To listen to the radio games on the MLB app for the year costs half what it does to watch the games on the MLB app for one month, least it does here.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #13
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
To listen to the radio games on the MLB app for the year costs half what it does to watch the games on the MLB app for one month, least it does here.
Yeah, I normally stick with the app (radio plus game of the day) and tv games until MLB.tv gets reduced around midseason.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:39 PM   #14
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
Yeah, I normally stick with the app (radio plus game of the day) and tv games until MLB.tv gets reduced around midseason.
I often listen to the radio broadcasts from the app, it's how I started with baseball. Call me weird but I like listening to the commercials as well are commercials have got morbid death insurance, funerals etc.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #15
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Listening to A’s Cast right now, pretty good broadcast
Old 02-22-2020, 10:21 PM   #16
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I was looking forward to watching Phillies @ Tigers but no TV version so listened it instead it didnt matter though as baseball is back along with the warmer weather although I cant really feel it with the eight layers of clothes I have on