Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2018 > MLBM 2018 - General Discussions

MLBM 2018 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2018, the baseball management game for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
wodi
All Star Reserve

Response to Markus

Markus,

Let me first start off by saying that we all at one time or another truly loved this game. There has been a downtick in the number of people posting here over the years, but all of us that are still here are posting because we love this game and have purchased it every year.

The frustration we are all having is two fold, 1. Two years ago it was promised that major improvements were coming for 2016, that never panned out then and still hasnt today, and 2. 800 fictions logos and roster update do not qualify as updates and changes, I’m sorry but they just do not.

We’re not irrational, we understand this game is not top priority and coding issues may be difficult, not having major changes I think we can all understand; though you did get all of our hopes up by promising them.

The main issue, like I’ve said is we’ve had a roster update now for 3 years... period. Additionally the marketing and overall chatter about the game dwindles more and more each year. Personally, to me that just means the company is done with this game, I am surprised each year when it comes out.

The game is not “garbage” it is a fantastic game that I wish more people knew about. The thing that is garbage is that we’ve been playing the same for years now. Because the game is the same at its core, someone could start a fictional league in iootp15 and say “look new rosters”!” Each year we pay $5.00 to play the same thing.

I cant speak for anyone else, but the money doesnt matter to me, I’m happy to give money to the company in hopes this game will become what we all hope it can be. I’ve said I’d even donate.

Perhaps our complaining has not been “constructive” in the normal sense, but take it as constructive that this game needs some attention, again, not a one year overhaul, but just some actual noticeable attention each year.

The KBO helps out in the Korean market, and I hope thats a good thing for the company, but its really just an expansion of a roster update that the common user wont ever use.

If mobile cant support a full minor league system, fine, how about taking the green arrow system we have and just expanding it to 3 levels, blue arrow move to AA, yellow to AAA, green to MLB?

How about adding a long relief option to the bullpen, or a way to designate your 7th inning guy and 8th inning guy?

How about adding more relievers to the amateur draft, or making the amateur draft mostly domestic players, while just adding some of the international players to the free agent pool at the end of the year (while making some older)?

The draft and player progression (the lifeblood of a sim sports game) has been the same flawed system for years. You have to have a top pick to really get star players, the highest top 100 prospects are ALWAYS top 5 picks. It was fine early on, but Its just been the same every single year now.

How about the ability to edit team budgets and owner names?

We’d love a massive upgrade more towards ootp, and maybe one day we’ll get that, but how about SOME improvements along the way? Thats what is “garbage” thats all we’re asking for. I dont think thats unreasonable.

I hope this community can continue to have an open forum and constructive conversations with you to improve the game, thats all we want.

Thanks

Last edited by wodi; 03-29-2018 at 09:40 AM.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
AB42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm fairly new to OOTP and the mobile version...purchased '17 last summer and was pleasantly surprised by how "playable" this game has been. I've killed a lot of hours of downtime which is amazing given the $5 list price.

I understand the thoughts shared by wodi on the angst of basically getting a roster update every year and some minor bells and whistles. I'm sure there are severe limitations to what they can do yet on mobile devices and if the company isn't really investing a lot of time and money into it, I guess that's understandable. I would encourage the OOTP folks to take another look at the mobile platform as it's growth is a sure thing. Hell, my wife and I don't even own a laptop or desktop anymore for me to consider buying the full OOTP '19.

Will I buy this year's version? Damn right, as soon as I get home from work today. I just hope to be pleasantly surprised in 2019. Maybe by then I'll be taking more of a "wodi" stance. Haha.

Thanks for all you do, Markus and Co. Now who's a guy have to bribe to get those Redlegs players potential rankings higher?

AB
AB42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quite honestly, I think that many of us would feel better about it if there were more bug fixes (and knowing what bugs are fixed). To see the report that the All-Star game scrolling bug wasn't fixed was disheartening to me. As I stated in another posting, having R/L handedness show up in the iPad in-game substitution screen would be great (and is the ONLY reason that I play on my iPhone rather than my iPad).

I am somewhat hopeful with Markus' statement that "if you have constructive feedback or bug reports, please post the in the bug report forum. We will release an update very soon and will try to fix as many reported issues as possible." If I knew what the changes were (and they were meaningful to me), it would make it so that I would definitely buy it.

I will post my hopefully-constructive feedback and requested bug fixes.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
OS Red
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I say keep up the great work! I have been playing it since it first came out and it is by far my most played mobile game. Would I like to see it closer to the OOTP main game? Of course but I have reasonable expectations considering it is only 5 bucks and it is made by a small team. The most important thing to me is that they put a quality game out every year which they easily do.
OS Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
AlexA
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi View Post

If mobile cant support a full minor league system, fine, how about taking the green arrow system we have and just expanding it to 3 levels, blue arrow move to AA, yellow to AAA, green to MLB?

How about adding a long relief option to the bullpen, or a way to designate your 7th inning guy and 8th inning guy?

How about adding more relievers to the amateur draft, or making the amateur draft mostly domestic players, while just adding some of the international players to the free agent pool at the end of the year (while making some older)?

The draft and player progression (the lifeblood of a sim sports game) has been the same flawed system for years. You have to have a top pick to really get star players, the highest top 100 prospects are ALWAYS top 5 picks. It was fine early on, but Its just been the same every single year now.

How about the ability to edit team budgets and owner names?

We’d love a massive upgrade more towards ootp, and maybe one day we’ll get that, but how about SOME improvements along the way? Thats what is “garbage” thats all we’re asking for. I dont think thats unreasonable.
AlexA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
wodi
All Star Reserve

The all-star game bug is crazy, its gotta be an easy fix, yet its been a problem for a year now.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
wodi
All Star Reserve

I also have another idea for a small improvement to the game....

I have for years been complaining about the fact that few relievers are in the amateur draft pool and that you constantly will see established starters move back and forth from starter to reliever, despite this being very unrealistic.

I understand the logic that, relief pitchers are essentially just failed starters, and the idea is to not define prospects to positions right out of the gate.

But it doesnt work right in the game.

What if you just would have players by I dunno 3 years into their career, lock into their position.

So if you have a pitcher that is used exclusively as a closer for 3 years, his stamina will drop below 30, which will define him as a relief pitcher instead of being a “starter” used in the closer role.

The same for hitters. The mlb current players all have the ability to play a couple positions, most just one. The guys in the amateur draft pool all have a ton. Why not once the guy plays 3 years at say 2b, he becomes a 2b and loses his “experience” in say RF.

What happens later on when the league is populated with generated players, is you gave a bunch of guys just moving between positions and pitching roles each year. Its very unrealistic.

Yes I know players switch positions in real life, but this game takes it wayyyy too far. Yes I know John Smoltz became a closer. That is not my point. My point is Mariano Rivera came up as a starter, but at age 35, he would never have become a starter again. At age 40 youre not going to see clayton kershaw become a reliever. And yet i promise you, in mlb manager, at the end of his career kershaw will pitch in the bullpen.

Just coding issues that need to be improved.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Completely agree. I got this game for my iPod touch in 2012 and loved every minute of it, then went and got the next game, and the next. But then I switched to Android (coinciding with the Android release, which I was ecstatic about). And it is not the same.

The game has been broken for 4 years now for Android. I have reported the bugs I have come across each and every year and the same bugs keep coming up...each and every year. Which, to me, indicates absolutely zero development time once you get past the roster update and new paint job.

I am a loyal customer of OOTP and will continue to buy their desktop games, but I won't be supporting this game anymore. MLBM 2017 was the last iteration I plan on spending money on.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post
Quite honestly, I think that many of us would feel better about it if there were more bug fixes (and knowing what bugs are fixed). To see the report that the All-Star game scrolling bug wasn't fixed was disheartening to me. As I stated in another posting, having R/L handedness show up in the iPad in-game substitution screen would be great (and is the ONLY reason that I play on my iPhone rather than my iPad).

I am somewhat hopeful with Markus' statement that "if you have constructive feedback or bug reports, please post the in the bug report forum. We will release an update very soon and will try to fix as many reported issues as possible." If I knew what the changes were (and they were meaningful to me), it would make it so that I would definitely buy it.

I will post my hopefully-constructive feedback and requested bug fixes.
I could not find myself posting bug fixes, etc. without being sure that it wasn't fixed in MLBM18, so I bought it. Sigh.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:24 AM   #10
wodi
All Star Reserve

I will never end up using them, but I must give a small morsel of credit, the fictional logos do look nice.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
hcorry2001
Minors (Single A)

Dear Markus!

How you gonna announce MLB Manager 2018 is out & close the post so we can't directly respond to your post! Disrespectful to all of us who faithfully purchase the android/iOS version every year. Yes you guys added a few cosmetic changes but that's it? We deserve better and we demand better! At least give us an explanation as to why the development team has virtually ignored us the last couple of years? I refuse to support ANY of your platforms until significant changes are made to the mobile version.

Sincerely,

Hampton Corry
hcorry2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB42 View Post
I'm fairly new to OOTP and the mobile version...purchased '17 last summer and was pleasantly surprised by how "playable" this game has been. I've killed a lot of hours of downtime which is amazing given the $5 list price.

I understand the thoughts shared by wodi on the angst of basically getting a roster update every year and some minor bells and whistles. I'm sure there are severe limitations to what they can do yet on mobile devices and if the company isn't really investing a lot of time and money into it, I guess that's understandable. I would encourage the OOTP folks to take another look at the mobile platform as it's growth is a sure thing. Hell, my wife and I don't even own a laptop or desktop anymore for me to consider buying the full OOTP '19.

Will I buy this year's version? Damn right, as soon as I get home from work today. I just hope to be pleasantly surprised in 2019. Maybe by then I'll be taking more of a "wodi" stance. Haha.

Thanks for all you do, Markus and Co. Now who's a guy have to bribe to get those Redlegs players potential rankings higher?

AB
Thanks!

The reality is that MLB Manager as it is (based on its current code base) is a finished product, there is really nothing left we can add.

Our goal is it to migrate MLB Manager into the current code base of OOTP one day, but this is a HUGE amount of work, and so far we did not have the manpower to do it, it's as simple as that. If the game would sell better, we could hire more people, but the mobile market has changed dramatically, and MLB Manager is not really the sort of game which fits the current theme of mobile games which are successful. The MLB revenue has been dropping annually for 4 straight years now, which is an indication of how the market changed and not the quality of the game, which is really solid.

Anyway, we give our best, and hope to elevate MLB Manager onto a higher level once the right time comes along.

Cheers,
Markus
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
wodi
All Star Reserve

Response to Markus

That all makes sense, and I am grateful for the explanation.

But I cannot fathom that there is NOTHING you can add.

How about a larger name pool for the amateur draft players? Every third player is like Sanchez or Thompson.

How about improving the code so that the draft is not all about picking at the top? And later round players develop more often.

How about changing the types of amateurs that are generated? For 3 straight versions, every draft is full of huge power/low average hitters, hitters with extremely high avoid k ratings and nothing else, and very few strikeout pitchers (all the good ones have far too little control to make the majors). 10-15 years in there are like 4 total guys with 200 k’s in a season.

How about removing a lot of the international amateurs in the pool, and have them be generated during free agency to mimic “international signings?”

The updated rosters only get you so far, when you advance deep into the game, the league is populated w the same flawed players that we’ve been dealing with for years.

I cannot image any of these things are too strenuous and would drastically improve the quality of the game and make me feel like I’m playing a new version.

Last edited by wodi; 03-30-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #14
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Thanks!

The reality is that MLB Manager as it is (based on its current code base) is a finished product, there is really nothing left we can add.

Our goal is it to migrate MLB Manager into the current code base of OOTP one day, but this is a HUGE amount of work, and so far we did not have the manpower to do it, it's as simple as that. If the game would sell better, we could hire more people, but the mobile market has changed dramatically, and MLB Manager is not really the sort of game which fits the current theme of mobile games which are successful. The MLB revenue has been dropping annually for 4 straight years now, which is an indication of how the market changed and not the quality of the game, which is really solid.

Anyway, we give our best, and hope to elevate MLB Manager onto a higher level once the right time comes along.

Cheers,
Markus
I understand.

Just 3+1 simple updates:

1. More Commish mode abilities.(Force trades)
2. Injury frequency option.
3. WS home field option to go to best overall record.
+1. An All Star selection mail news that can be fully read.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #15
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Thanks!

Cheers,

Markus

Another small thing that has bothered me for years is the amount of amateur pitchers created with low velocity, you get like 3 guys who throw 90s and then like 50 who throw as low as 85.

If you cant tell, I’m very tired of the same draft issues that have been around for many years.

In a simulation baseball game thats designed to be played many seasons, the draft and minor leagues (the lifeblood of a game like this) seriously need tweaks.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #16
daves
Hall Of Famer

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB42 View Post

AB
I actually bought for the PC, IPhone and android versions. Depending on what I have time for? I spend more time with the app since it is very easy to use on a phone or tablet.

It's a worthwhile game that can use just a few little tweeks and fixable glitches that I listed on a different post shown below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I like just 3 simple updates:

1. Set injury frequency for league. Right now it's injuries or no injuries.
2. Commish mode. Love to be able to do more with a league with the little free time I have.
3. Change WS home field options. Past two versions, after the current season (ie version 2017, after 2017 season) home field only went to the NL teams regardless of record or even all star game. I like the best record overall to have home field in the World Series.
Oh and that unreadable All Star team message worked for 2016 but not 2017 and 2018 versions needs to be fixed.

Last edited by daves; 04-04-2018 at 09:40 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
Cypher74
Minors (Double A)

I LOVE this game, but also agree there are minor tweaks that will make it infinitely more playable.

1. FORCE Trades - please please please. This can't be that hard to implement, and is necessary when trying to match rosters to real life situations.

2. When you play multiple years, you have to be able to assign players to real teams. Without this, its impossible to play multi year sims which is my favorite part of these games.

Actually, I could even work around without # 2, if I could do #1. I would do the work behind the scenes to get the rosters the way they need to be.

I'd love a response if these things are possible...
Cypher74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #18
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi View Post
How about a larger name pool for the amateur draft players? Every third player is like Sanchez or Thompson.
Huh? I've never seen anything like this. I just finished my 8th season, and here's the computer generated names on my team:

Toyoharu Honma
Bob Lewis
Jose Carlos Gonzalez
Felicidade Gosendes
John Veeck
Starling Heredia (*)
Earl Fisher
Pedro Arroyo
Coty Webster
Freudis Nova (*)
Scott Reed
Angel Macuare (*)
Junior Hart
Luis Victoriano Garcia (*)
Ricardo Mendez (*)
Chris Okey (*)
Jeison Guzman (*)

(*) -- undrafted free agents who became major leaguers. Three of them made at least one all star team. Two others are potential all stars. I've seen this happen before in the early years of a league, but never so often.

The computer generated names seem pretty good to me -- if anything, more diverse than in real life! There are rarely any repeats, and the ethnic mix seem good. There are a lot of hispanics in the real major leagues.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote