Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #41
tejdog1
All Star Starter

The 3 batter minimum is absolutely horsecrap. Why does Rob Manfred hate baseball?
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #42
Reed
All Star Starter

Can you imagine a World Series game where a relief pitcher comes in and is wild and walks 2 batters and has to stay in the game because of this rule?
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #43
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
The 3 batter minimum is absolutely horsecrap. Why does Rob Manfred hate baseball?
Seriously though, the commissioner of baseball hates baseball. Defies all logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Can you imagine a World Series game where a relief pitcher comes in and is wild and walks 2 batters and has to stay in the game because of this rule?
That rule will directly influence the outcome of a World Series, im calling it now. All that will be said on twitter after is "why did manager x take him out!" "Because he had to, theres the 3 batter rule."
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:58 AM   #44
TomVeal
All Star Starter

What will happen is this: Joe Maddon will come out to the mound. The pitcher will flex his shoulder and wince. Maddon will summon the trainer. The trainer will poke at the shoulder and look very grave. Maddon will declare that the pitcher has strained a muscle and can't continue. The Red Sox will demand a review. Three physicians will be flown in from the Mayo Clinic. At 2:00 a.m., they will declare that the pitcher is fine. The 109 fans left in the park will watch him strike out the next three batters to end the inning and clinch the World Series for the Cubs.

Rob Manfred will announce his resignation as commissioner to become president of Yale, whose former president will have just been fired for the admissions cheating scandal.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:03 AM   #45
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, I'd rather see a system where for the whole season, you designate 20 or 21 active players for a game, with a 5 or 6 man "healthy scratch" like NHL (which would usually be the last few starters,and maybe you have some sort of "emergency roster" to unlock another one or two players for extra innings).

Then in September, the taxi squad can still rise to 40, but you still have the same 20 or 22 active per game. More guys means you don't have to worry about tired arms any game, but both sides are at least always playing with an equal number of players, and the actual rules of the game don't change at any point in the season.
Well, how about putting that into OOTP as an optional rule?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:08 AM   #46
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Football is even losing viewers.
NFL or college? If the former, there are reasons other than game length which can explain it.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #47
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post

So not sure what this 3 batter minimum is suppose to fix. Time? what does it shave off 15 minutes of game time?

I think MLB would be really, really happy if it shaved 15 minutes off games.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #48
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinrose View Post
I think MLB would be really, really happy if it shaved 15 minutes off games.
When I was growing up in the 80s, the average game was generally around 2h40m to 2h45m. The average game is now over three hours. Granted that about ten minutes is due to longer commercial breaks, but we are still talking about 10-15 minutes of extra time. The problem with this is that there are essentially the same number of plate appearances per game which means 10-15 extra minutes of inaction during play.
I’m all for the 30 second clock but more for the batters who mess around between every pitch. Your job is to be ready to hit. Get on with it.
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #49
jlking
Minors (Single A)

As a Mariners fan I remember Lou Piniella going out to the mound to tell a pitcher he was hurt. I can't remember who it was, but the pitcher looked confused and frustrated as Lou took the ball from him. Lou did not have anyone in the bullpen, and I guess he did not like what he was seeing on the mound, so he decided to tell the pitcher he was injured to give the relief pitcher some extra pitches to warm up.
jlking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #50
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor ape View Post
When I was growing up in the 80s, the average game was generally around 2h40m to 2h45m. The average game is now over three hours. Granted that about ten minutes is due to longer commercial breaks, but we are still talking about 10-15 minutes of extra time. The problem with this is that there are essentially the same number of plate appearances per game which means 10-15 extra minutes of inaction during play.
I’m all for the 30 second clock but more for the batters who mess around between every pitch. Your job is to be ready to hit. Get on with it.
A priest once told me, "People don't mind a long service. What they do mind is a slow service." The same rule applies, I think, to sporting events.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #51
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Data for consideration. Below is the average length in minutes of a standard game (8½–9 innings, 51–54 outs) for nearly every professional baseball league for 2017. Also included is the minimum and maximum game length, along with the standard deviation and the number of games in the sample. Explanations as to why there is such a large variation in average game length between leagues are welcome.
Code:
Lg     Mean   Min   Max  StDev    n=
------------------------------------
MLB   185.2   125   273   20.9  2247
***   188.1   127   266   22.5   771
KBO   196.5   129   290   24.1   654
CPBL  205.8   147   318   28.0   215
MEX   185.4   103   278   24.2   714
INT   167.9   118   233   18.8   794
PCL   173.4   121   252   20.0   954
EAS   161.8   114   283   18.9   637
SOU   165.0   117   240   18.9   547
TEX   165.6   112   230   17.9   479
CAL   173.2   116   278   19.4   502
CAR   168.9   115   254   20.1   534
FSL   157.7   109   220   18.9   635
MID   168.8   107   229   20.1   926
SAL   165.4   107   233   19.8   760
NYP   169.0   122   243   19.9   406
NWL   177.4   125   238   19.9   274
APP   169.8    99   239   21.2   272
PIO   175.4   129   258   24.2   277
ALPB  175.7   127   310   21.6   436
AAIB  171.2   112   243   19.7   487
CAA   187.4   117   334   27.9   257
FRON  166.4   110   298   24.2   463
AFL   155.6   116   209   16.9    83
DWL   207.4   137   290   28.1   137
MPL   192.7   128   258   23.1   243
RCL   182.0   139   236   24.9    22
VWL   208.0   148   281   27.2   214
ABL   176.8   111   239   24.8    88
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #52
EarlWeaver4
Bat Boy

Quote:
I also think that it was a different game in the 80s. You had an element of the game which is an endangered species today: speed. The National League had ballparks in Montreal, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Houston which were the infamous "cookie-cutter", multi-purpose stadiums with AstroTurf. Some of those teams had guys who stole more bases individually than most teams do now. It was a faster-paced game then with stolen bases, hit-and-runs, bunts, etc. In the American League, you didn't have as many teams utilizing this strategy, but Toronto, Minnesota, Kansas City and Seattle did especially the Royals.

I don't think fans have a problem with a leisurely pace; it's the lethargic pace they dislike.
EarlWeaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #53
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWeaver4 View Post
I also think that it was a different game in the 80s. You had an element of the game which is an endangered species today: speed. The National League had ballparks in Montreal, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Houston which were the infamous "cookie-cutter", multi-purpose stadiums with AstroTurf. Some of those teams had guys who stole more bases individually than most teams do now. It was a faster-paced game then with stolen bases, hit-and-runs, bunts, etc. In the American League, you didn't have as many teams utilizing this strategy, but Toronto, Minnesota, Kansas City and Seattle did especially the Royals.

I don't think fans have a problem with a leisurely pace; it's the lethargic pace they dislike.
Valid points from you and the previous posts. A key issue is that baseball is a daily event. Football games are once a week so even when you have a night game, staying up late for one night is a mild annoyance. Baseball is six or seven nights a week. The average fan isn’t willing to invest three-plus hours in a game.

I grew up a baseball junkie and it remains my favorite game. That being said, we went to the DC United soccer game and it was wonderful to have the game run for almost exactly two hours. I’m not saying that baseball should target two hours but having constant action for a fairly well defined time period was refreshing,
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 AM   #54
EarlWeaver4
Bat Boy

Quote:
Valid points from you and the previous posts. A key issue is that baseball is a daily event. Football games are once a week so even when you have a night game, staying up late for one night is a mild annoyance. Baseball is six or seven nights a week. The average fan isn’t willing to invest three-plus hours in a game.

I grew up a baseball junkie and it remains my favorite game. That being said, we went to the DC United soccer game and it was wonderful to have the game run for almost exactly two hours. I’m not saying that baseball should target two hours but having constant action for a fairly well defined time period was refreshing,
I get that. I personally think too much is made about the length of baseball games. Most of them are about the same length as football or basketball games, approximately three hours. The last two minutes of a football and basketball game can take an hour sometimes. I think the difference is the pace of those games is quicker than most baseball games.

Also, baseball is a regional sport whereas football is national. Unless the World Series is compelling with two great teams or a backstory like the 2004 Red Sox or 2016 Cubs, most people who aren't fans of the two teams in the World Series will watch something else. The Super Bowl is an all-day event with a two-week buildup. It is a lot like a heavyweight championship bout in boxing and we had the New England Patriots versus the Los Angeles Rams in this year's Super Bowl. The game turned out to be a dud, but the ratings were huge. However, the World Series featured the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers and most fans didn't watch it. The Red Sox are no longer an underdog team trying to overcome a curse and the Dodgers were in the World Series the year before.
EarlWeaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:04 AM   #55
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
If you take NFL their ratings didn't decline until they added Thursday night games. Then end of season you have Saturday games.

But normally they now have all day sunday, monday night and thursday night. They killed their market because their games are really long too especially those Monday/Thursday games.

Mark Cuban actually said if they added Thursday night games their ratings and brand would suffer. Jeff Samardzija said today they should do ties in regular season.

But I honestly don't think the MLB has a real time length problem. It is purely an Image/Brand problem. Public says its long, slow, boring so it is. Doesn't matter if its actually true or not. Only what is perceived.

But its image/brand problem is only amplified by the fact there are zero player personalities in the MLB (Except Harper in Philly now). People love story lines. And MLB has none. It has as much personality as the NHL.

Their #1 player (trout) for 8 seasons has no personality when it comes to the MLB. He shows more personality when it comes to football and the Eagles and Philly.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #56
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

MLB problem is Postseason not like NBA and NHL 8 teams in each League but we can do that in this Game same with NFL more Teams in Playoffs. Also MLB/NFL/NBA/WNBA/MLS need to follow NHL do Classic series so like MLB might play a Game like at Children Mercy Park where Sporting KC plays or Aerohead Stadium where Chiefs or in another NFL or College Stadium in a city where no MLB Teams is. Also Draft in MLB and NBA at site of NHL one for that year or MLB like hiow NFL does it.