Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 10-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Waiver curiosity

With the new patch coming out and my last league messed up due to a lack of coaches when I first started up the league, I uninstalled OOTP 2007, installed the full 2.0.3 version, and re-started my 1970 historical league from scratch. I only got one day in before putting on the "Rule 5" patch this morning so now I've got the latest and greatest and my league is one day old.

Now, I'm in the first few days of January, and I'm scoping the waiver wire for some help, and I find a couple of guys who meet the critera, so I claim them. Eventually I get messages saying that I claimed the player and he's been put into my DFA area.

Well, that's not where they went. They both went straight on to my ML roster, where I now have 27/25 players. Now, I guess since it's still the offseason, I can still proceed to the next day over the roster limit until April comes along, but why did the game automatically put them on my ML roster? Both players still have options, although they do have the right to refuse assignment to the minors. Even so, shouldn't they have been kept in DFA until I decided what to do with them? Obviously they needed to be on my 40-man roster since they had ML contracts, which is fine. But I would've liked to have had the chance to try to send one of them to the minors before it automatically stuck them in the majors. I know I can try to send them to the minors now, but I can see circumstances where I may not want them to automatically be placing my players for me.

Is this a behavior that's new to this patch? I could've sworn my waiver claims went to DFA before. Maybe that's what would've happened during the regular season since I'd be over my roster limit, but I'm just puzzled why the game says one thing (they're going to DFA) but actually does another (on your ML roster). Anyone else seeing this or know if this is the way it did it before?

Thanks!
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
injury log
Hall Of Famer

This is a behaviour new to the patch. Pre-patch, I think things worked as follows:

-players with Major League contracts went to dfa;
-players with minor league contracts were assigned directly to an appropriate minor league team.

The problem here was that any claimed player, except those that can refuse demotion, could be sent to the minors without ever being added to the 40-man roster. Any waiver claim should need to be added to the 40-man, and it appears OOTP has tried to fix this issue by adding waiver claims directly to the 25-man and 40-man simultaneously. I'm guessing they've chosen to do this, rather than add the player to the 40-man and drop him in dfa, because players can't be on the 40-man and in dfa at the same time in OOTP (I think).

It's not ideal behaviour, but it does resolve a game issue.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Hm... yeah I guess that does make sense - . I do remember there being an issue when the player was in DFA you could "cheat" and not put the player on the 40-man, although I thought they fixed that with the whole "If he has a ML contract he has to be on the 40-man roster" restriction. That, of course, made it really difficult to take anyone OFF your 40-man roster after passing them through waivers, because it would tell you they had a ML contract and had to be on the 40-man, so your only option was to release them instead of outrighting them to the minors. I haven't made an attempt to remove someone with a ML contract from my 40-man roster yet using the latest patch, but I sure hope that's fixed. Otherwise, how do you ever remove a major leaguer from the 40-man roster without releasing them or hoping someone claims them? Real life teams do it all the time - pass a veteran minor leaguer that got a cup of coffee in September through waivers and then outright him to the minors. Hopefully that'll work in OOTP too.

Maybe for OOTP 9, they'll have that ironed out, and maybe they'll create an "Acquired Players" area in addition to DFA so when you acquire someone in a trade or waiver claim, he goes to the Acquired Players area and you can actually decide where you want to put them (with the 40-man waiver restriction enforced of course).
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
injury log
Hall Of Famer

You can certainly demote people via dfa just fine in the new patch. I agree, an acquired players section would potentially be useful.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Carlton_Willey
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
Otherwise, how do you ever remove a major leaguer from the 40-man roster without releasing them or hoping someone claims them? Real life teams do it all the time - pass a veteran minor leaguer that got a cup of coffee in September through waivers and then outright him to the minors. Hopefully that'll work in OOTP too.
That works after the last patch. I did it with two veteran pitchers yesterday. Needed them to fill in for two injured starters. When the injured returned, I got waivers on the call-ups, removed them from the 40-man, then sent them back to AAA.
Carlton_Willey is offline   Reply With Quote