Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
VintageBaseballLover
Bat Boy

Method of Playing Season mode

Hey everyone, first time poster. I was curious to your preferred method of playing a OOTP season.

Do you prefer playing each game, in game? Or simply "Finish Today!"?

I'd love to hear, thank you!
VintageBaseballLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
Arobbins
Minors (Double A)

I usually play out opening day, sim games a series at a time and make line up adjustments if needs, then play the last game and if I make the playoffs I will play out every game. Sometimes I will play out MiLB games in my system if I'm fond of certain prospects and/or they make the post season.
Arobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
battists
Hall Of Famer

I manage every game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
I manage every game.

Same.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
canaveral
Minors (Double A)

I sim one month at a time so I can get through a lot of seasons. I'm more interested in stats and season results. I'll also make adjustments to the batting order and pitching staff month by month if deemed necessary.
canaveral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I sim day to day, usually I am the GM and try to stay out of the managers way. That is until I have to interfere in the lineups, I always handle promotions, demotions, dl,and trades. I look at my minor leagues twice a week and make promotions I think are necessary which is a little more complicated now as I am running a 1939 League, Washington GM, have 12 minor league teams. Usually takes me about an hour to sim a week. Have fun you will find your own sweet spot.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
I sim day to day, usually I am the GM and try to stay out of the managers way. That is until I have to interfere in the lineups, I always handle promotions, demotions, dl,and trades. I look at my minor leagues twice a week and make promotions I think are necessary which is a little more complicated now as I am running a 1939 League, Washington GM, have 12 minor league teams. Usually takes me about an hour to sim a week. Have fun you will find your own sweet spot.

that's pretty much what i do. except i have a fictional league with only 3 minor levels. i'll do the GM chores - trades, promotions, signings, firings etc. leaving the managers to do their things. i'll sim a day at a time, for about a month (unless a barrage of trade offers appear, as in June/July). Then before i close i'll make a backup - naming it whatever the date is - that way i have multiple backups for the year, in the event i really messed up or something weird crashes the game. if i am doing trades, or researching offers, i'll do a "save game" periodically between the daily sims, just in case of a crash (or more likely a short power outage) etc.. Only happens once in a blue moon, but a save between backups only takes a minute and might be a life-saver.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #8
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I save daily but don’t make enough backups, I will get caught, maybe that will teach me my lesson.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I used to pick a game of the week to play out for my team and sim the rest of the week (I always save on a weekly basis, game time, not real time). But when I switched to a fictional league I started playing out every game my team played. Watching though, not managing in game. I set 7-day lineups but adjust them along the way, and sometimes jump in to make a pitching change but largely I let the AI guide my team in game based upon my strategy settings.
With the improved 3D of OOTP19 I really enjoy watching every game for my team. And I feel like it really helped me get invested in, and familiar with, my fictional team and fictional league much more quickly.

(Oh, and not that this was part of your question, but since JaBurns mentioned it, I will say that I make a backup after each and every time that I finish a session playing the game. Although, if I just opened up the game and my league to poke around a bit and didn't advance the calendar I will skip the backup. What I haven't done yet, but know I should, is to save the backup onto an external hard drive.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
(Oh, and not that this was part of your question, but since JaBurns mentioned it, I will say that I make a backup after each and every time that I finish a session playing the game. Although, if I just opened up the game and my league to poke around a bit and didn't advance the calendar I will skip the backup. What I haven't done yet, but know I should, is to save the backup onto an external hard drive.)

good idea to use an external HD. as i mentioned i back-up each time i close the game on my game HD. And then i take that back-up and zip it to an external HD, so in essence i have two copies of each save. Since i started making the zip copy (per RchW suggestion in a post a year or so ago), i've only needed to use a back-up once, due my re-configuring my league expansion incorrectly. Once (long ago in version 16) i tried to use a back up that had gotten corrupted, so now i keep a full years worth, just in case. Losing a year or a few months, or weeks, in my mind, is better than losing the 50 years i lost back in the dark ages......

no matter hows ye play, backups are essential. and the more the merrier, eh?
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
battists
Hall Of Famer

The one thing that I would suggest for you back up fiends is to do periodic, separate backups. Don’t just keep over writing the same file all the time.

I made that mistake in the past. And then something came up in my league that turned out to be a problem in my settings, but since I had saved every day, there was no way to go back, for example, to the beginning of the season and rectify it.

So in addition to regular backups, I also save off periodic back up files at key moments, like the day before opening day, and then maybe the first of each month through the season.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

I am an ootp junkie. I have several saves that I rotate through given my mood. I have one gm only. Another where I play out each game. I have one where I create friends and family and watch their careers play out. You have to have a tester league to try out new league ideas. Finally, one where I am essentially the commish and I write about it in a dynasty report. So yea, I guess I need help.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you do make multiple backups of the game, make sure to you 'full copy' for any initial 2nd+ backup. after that intial 'full copy' the normal backup is fine... until you make a fresh backup again.

you will lose a tone of asthetic stuff, otherwise. like news articles and even box scores. the normal backup feature is partly incremental, so it copies all of the meat and potatoes but only the asthetic stuff since the last time it was clicked.

so, you take a 50 year league, rename old backup directory and in game click 'bakcup game' and not the full copy... you get only the news and boxscores saved since the last time you clicked backup. your entire history and players are perfectly safe... only the small stuff can get lost.

*** assumes process hasn't changed, as it has not in memory

Last edited by NoOne; 09-12-2018 at 12:36 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote