Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
jslmsca
All Star Reserve

Confused: Developing Pitcher Control

Does pitcher control substantially improve?

I've had success with pitchers with great stuff and movement and little to no control (2/10). Of course, these are usually free agent pitchers.

My own pitchers don't seem to develop control. I've seen in the player development report more than once that a pitcher's control drops from 40 to 1, or 35 to 1. Then it improves from 1 to 3, or 3 to 4 but never much more.

Current and control potential are in line. It's like all initial evaluations of control are always wrong.

This doesn't mean that a pitcher is ineffective. Sometimes they have a great WHIP and BB/9 even though "visually" the ratings bar is lousy and the scouting report is lousy. Maybe they actually do have control but it is not being reflected?

I just don't understand how young pitcher control is modelled in this game. Has anyone had control remain stable and gradually improve in a young pitcher?
jslmsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

context will tell you if it's a "talent change randomness" effect or bad scouting. just not for sure unless you were looking under-the-hood and taking notes.

early age or first year or 2 in your minors is almost a certainly scouting correction. a ton of players in draft show ~1/2 scale or even better and is really a 1/200 under the hood. pitchers in later rounds with "normal" accuracy setting are pretty much ****e. better luck with the "3b" that has pitchign potential over any SP in later rounds in my experience.

tcr is random and occurs at anytime. the worse or the better they are the stronger the pull to the middle. e.g. a 1/200 or a 200/200 will be more likely to get struck than 100/200. that doesn't mean a 200 cannot be improved by tcr, just much less likely.

what you're describing is mostly scouting. tcr doesn't strike every pitcher you draft, for example.

spend more on mil and/or amatuer scouting and make sure scout is legendary or legendary-1 (whatever the nextlabel down is... excellent?)

if you see a highly rated SP in round 3 with normal scouting, it's safe to say there's something wrong with them more times than not. if this is what is happening, change the behaviour for different results.

developement either occurs or does not.. some percentage each day or 1/week etc. it happens typically a few points at a time out of 100.. your scale will influence what you see in this regard.. lwoer resolution will take longer for changes to be seen but they are always happening incrementally behind the scenes (use comissioner mode and look in player editor and track it... you'll find a particular day each week something "can" occur. it's not limited to scouting report timing. that's merely an update for your eyes.

tcr could theoretically knock a 40/100 down to 1/100 but it's very unlikely to occur. more than "1" player => almost certainly scouting accuracy related. i.e. affecting nearly all draftees as you describe... sure 1 or 2 may be tcr but mixed with scouting inaccuracy if a ~decent value turns to "1"

Last edited by NoOne; 03-10-2018 at 12:39 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
jslmsca
All Star Reserve

Thanks a lot NoOne. It's definitely scouting adjustment I'm seeing then because dropping to 1 control happens fairly regularly for me with young pitchers.
jslmsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

once teh 'better' pitchers are gone, i find sorting by movement with a filter for minimum stuff and control is more correlated to ~mlb quality than sorting by control or potential.

when i try a new draft strategy, i use a league with same settings and shortlist the playrs that are decent then sort various ways. (use editor to see real ratings, leave accuracy as normal for obvious reasons).. the ways that place the most capitalized names near the top are how i choose players in teh drafts. all about increasing probability of success.

initially, stick with potential.. the "76-80" guys in the first 1-10 or 1-20 picks are almost always a higher % to be good players. (made up 76-80 range, btw, fill in the blank). so, keep it basic initially.

with normal scouting i find in round 2 or 3 i switch over to the different way of sorting. this all depends on depth of the draft. you can see this before any picks and try to remember for future years as it ebbs and flows you can determine a down or up year very easily.

even if you don't want to do all of that, i'd suggest at lest scrolling through one draft -- maybe a backup restored before pool is created so as not to give away the future-- filter for all pitchers and sort by potential, with your accuracy setting on... start clicking though the names in teh editor with commissioner mode on. once you start seeing 1/200 for movement or control, go take a peak at what "pot" that starts to occur.

you'll soon realize almost all pitchers after the first few good ones are total crap. after ~40? potential they best you have to hope for is 1/2 scale movement and control combo. rarely do you see both after this point. (40? 50? you'll have to look, it dpeends on scout and budget)

not saying that's the starting point to switch up sorting either... when it is predominant that's when i switch. again all about probability of CAP names per non cap names at top.

this method gaurantees nothing.. it's still akin to picking #'s out of a hat, but you can slightly improve probability for sure. mostly jsut makes you mil stronger and maybe a few more players where "1" TCR change can make them MLB-quality or better. if you got ~1 per 10 years before and you are adding 2x as many with this method, you'll now get 2 surprises every decade. that can be a big deal compounded with other benefits.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-10-2018 at 01:34 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote