Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
robertelee18
Bat Boy

Can I do this with this game?

Here is how I play baseball pc games: I pick 8-10 teams from different years and play 40-game schedules, playing as the home team usually vs. the AI for a total of around 400 games for the whole league. I keep league leaders and standings, of course, and at the end play a World Series (I have two divisions of 4-6 teams each--american and national) of 7 games.

I lay this out because I want to ask if OOTP will allow me to play like this. I have heard that this game is more in-depth than, say, APBA in terms of letting you play historical fictional years and be the GM, etc. That's all great, I am sure, but I just want to try this game out the way I play because of the graphics and the other good things I have heard (plus the fact that it's affordable and you get all the teams at once).

So, can someone tell me whether I can play this game that way, setting up my own league? Thanks!
robertelee18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
robertelee18
Bat Boy

Well, I have downloaded the demo and as far as I can tell, you can only play in a league one year at a time? You can't play the '27 Yankees vs. the '54 Giants?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertelee18 View Post
Well, I have downloaded the demo and as far as I can tell, you can only play in a league one year at a time? You can't play the '27 Yankees vs. the '54 Giants?
There is an all-time greatest teams quickstart that comes with the game. If you load that up and click Play, at the bottom of that dropwdown window is a Simulation module. You can play any team against any other team at any time.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Yes, you can play the game you want. You can create a fictional league with a structure of your liking and import whichever historical team(s) you want. Set the schedule to 40 games - as long as there is an even number of teams in each league (or sub-league, if you separate AL and NL teams that way in your scenario) the game will generate a reasonable schedule, although you have to manually tell the game to regenerate a schedule once you have the teams and structure set.

As far as playing every single game out, that can be done although I've never done it. Likely that involves setting every team to human owned and making sure that you're not simulating games in the background when you play (which is the default setting IIRC).

But basically yes, you can do what you want.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
robertelee18
Bat Boy

Well, I tried that but I never saw the simulation mode, and all I got were the all-time greatest Orioles, etc. Like Cal Ripken is on the same team as Brooks Robinson.
Is it possible to play a league that includes the actual '27 yankees vs. the '46 Red Sox and, say, 8 other teams that were the real rosters of that team that year?
thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #6
robertelee18
Bat Boy

OK, how do I find "create fictional league? I see "new historical game" and "new custom game" but nothing about a league.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
robertelee18
Bat Boy

I may have found how to create a fictional league, but have no idea how to import teams.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
robertelee18
Bat Boy

Ugh, I can't ever figure out how to start one single game.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
robertelee18
Bat Boy

Forget setting up a league. This game is terrible!
Old 09-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
robertelee18
Bat Boy

And the makers do not respond to emails. It should not be this hard--I am moving on to a game that's not so crazy.
thanks for the help though
Old 09-19-2016, 01:45 AM   #11
battists
Hall Of Famer

Bear in mind that you are asking to do a very particular thing. The game is capable of doing what you want, but there isn't going to be a very simple option for it, for the simple reason that very very few people want to play the way that you do.

I don't play historical games myself, so I'm not sure exactly how to do what you want. However, if you post in the historical forums, I suspect you will be able to get better help there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 02:17 AM   #12
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

The whole thread lasted less than four hours, btw. And that last little flurry was a mere 13 minutes.

Sorry we weren't able to crowdsource your tech support questions on a Sunday night, dude.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:34 AM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Don't give up on the game so quickly. At that, surely you must realize you're not going to get an immediate response to your emails late on Sunday from the makers of any game

Ultimately, OOTP can do what you want and even more. It does have a bit of a learning curve, as you've seen, but the satisfaction you'll get from working that out and seeing how it's customization options can ultimately play out whatever scenario you want to play will be more than worth the little bit of time it'll take to figure out how to make your specific scenario happen.

You'll also be able to get lots of help from folks here to help you figure out how to make your scenario happen, you'll just need to be patient and courteous and to give everyone some time to process your needs and to respond

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

This format is definitely possible.

1. Go to create a new fictional game
2. Set up your league structure as desired
3. On the pick team screen, there should be a button to switch to historical team selection.
4. Choose your teams you want, and whatever other options you want.

For playing out games, there could be a few ways to do that. I would likely suggest playing in commissioner mode, and in the league settings page, using the "set all teams to human control", and then when you go to play out a game, turn off the "simulate world in background" flag, and then you should be able to play out every game as you wish. You can set the controls to either or both teams in game.

Enjoy!
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #15
robertelee18
Bat Boy

Not only is the game terrible with horrible customer service, you get trolls sending you private messages when you point it out. No thanks. I guess when an American game is based in Germany, this is what you get. I'll pass on this clunker.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #16
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Try multiple leagues or something. You're very unimaginative.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #17
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not only is the game terrible with horrible customer service, you get trolls sending you private messages when you point it out. No thanks. I guess when an American game is based in Germany, this is what you get. I'll pass on this clunker.

???? -
Matt offered some great (polite and friendly) advice. The Game is hardly a clunker if you take the time to learn it. People here are mostly helpful and knowledgeable, willing to help you through most any issue, if you're willing to accept it. Sorry you're having a bad expirience with it. It took me a while to get past the basics, but because of the people here, i've gotten to know and enjoy the game a LOT more than i ever expected.

was said earlier, don't give up on it and don't lump the good guys on this forum with the minute number of trolls that may appear. (Frankly, you're not coming through in your posts as Mr. Rogers.) Hope you get it figured out, as the game will do what you want with a little effort and it'll be a blast.

Best of luck.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 09-19-2016 at 12:40 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #18
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
So within 18 hours of your original post late on Sunday afternoon, you've received two messages in regard to your issues from members of the OOTP team including exact instructions for your specific concern from one of the devs themselves, and you think the game has "horrible customer service"?

Really, that's your take on this? That seems patently unfair at best.

If there are trolls responding, which is debatable, how does that even reflect on the game itself anyway?

There are trolls literally everywhere on the internet. It's not like the OOTP forums have a monopoly on them.

Hopefully you'll take another look at all of this, but if not, then I guess there's not much more we can say or do.

I'm pretty sure our response to you here is more than enough show the reality of just how good OOTP's service actually is for anyone who's legitimately wondering about that.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 09-19-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
So within 18 hours of your original post late on Sunday afternoon, you've received two messages in regard to your issues from members of the OOTP team including exact instructions for your specific concern from one of the devs themselves, and you think the game has "horrible customer service"?

Really, that's your take on this? That seems patently unfair at best.

If there are trolls responding, which is debatable, how does that even reflect on the game itself anyway?

There are trolls literally everywhere on the internet. It's not like the OOTP forums have a monopoly on them.

Hopefully you'll take another, more reasonable look at all of this but if not, then I guess there's not much more we can say or do.

I'm pretty sure our response to you here is more than enough show the reality of just how good OOTP's service actually is for anyone who's legitimately wondering about that.
I was the troll. I didn't intentionally offend him. I told him the game has a steep learning curve, etc.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #20
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post
I was the troll. I didn't intentionally offend him. I told him the game has a steep learning curve, etc.

I don't think you were the troll. I think he was intimating that people had private messaged him obnoxiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk