Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 AM   #1
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

48 teams (24 per league) & figuring out playoff scenarios

So my 300+ year old league is now rebooted and I started over with the same teams but merged some other structure and so now we're at 48 teams because I was feeling crazy.

I've been alternating with the playoff structures over the past five seasons since rebooting the league.

First I had the league at 8 per league (16 playoff teams) and then I cut back to 12 teams (6 per league) where the two worst division champions had to play wild cards.

Now heading into the 7th season after five seasons of the 12 team setup, I'm debating what to do with my postseason structure. For now, I'm considering keeping the 12-team structure but rather than have two wild cards have the chance to potentially advance to the division series, I intend to pit the 5th and 6th seed (the two wild cards) against each other in one wild card series and then the two worst division champions in the other wild card series.

Very NCAA-like I know.

I'm looking for some ideas/thoughts/feedback.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I had a poll I tried to post, but waited too long to post it.

12 teams? 14 teams? 16 teams? 10 teams? I'm not doing 8. I don't think I can imagine a world where I go beyond 16. Also, best of 5? 7? My championship is always been Best of 9 and I prefer a best of 7 LCS. It's the lower two series that I debate about.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Opted for a 5-game wild card series, then 7 through the division Series and LCS, then 9 for the classic.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

What about expanding to 14 teams and turning off the "seed wild cards lowest" option?
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Hmm...that could be interesting.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
You have four divisions in each league, correct? I'd vote for eight teams in each league, with the four division winners playing four wildcards. It's nice and symmetrical, plus I don't like byes, especially in baseball.

I do kind of like your NCAA-esque idea of matching up wildcards, though. If you went to three divisions per league, you could do a 14-team playoff where the division winners all get double byes and the four wildcards in each league have a little mini-tournament amongst themselves.

And I know you already picked the series length, but I really like making each ground progressively longer...ie, best-of-3 wildcard, best-of-5 division series, best-of-7 LCS, and best-of-9 World Series.
Mancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

You all were both on point. I pretty much started with the 3/5/7/9 setup for a time and also copied the idea of not seeding wild cards lowest anymore. That's been a consistent change for me.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Okay I think I figured out a good setup.

It's 18 teams in the post-season (9 per league of 24 teams)

Challenger Series (1 game playoff)
Elimination Series (3 game playoff)
Division Series (5 game playoff)
LCS (7 game playoff)
Championship (9 game playoff)

I use seed lowest to make sure the wild cards all get seeded below and the 3rd division champion ends up having to play in the Elimination Series, but I'm okay with it.

What I like about this setup is you still get teams a shot to the post-season, the top teams get a few days off but it's not such a long break and then everybody plays from the division series on.

We'll see how it works. Gonna try it for a few seasons. Hoping it doesn't result in too many tiebreaker games.