Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Best fictional league ideas?

Just looking for some discussion here... I'm currently working on a quickstart to honor Orcin's CBA (for those that don't know, he's a legend in the Dynasty Reports forum) and am just throwing ideas around in my brain for other fictional setups that would be fun.

One I was thinking of last night would have been the CSBA or Continental States Baseball Association... use the 48 continental US states split into two leagues of 24. But really, I'm just looking to throw around other ideas or get input from those who have run extremely fun fictional leagues.

Always just looking for more fun leagues to play -- what do YOU find fun? Hopefully we can have an interesting discussion on this topic!

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I have done a common wealth association 12 Canadian 2 divisions and 12 Australian 2 divisions since
Both nations still recognize the queen of England as head of state and both are good baseball countries
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Ike348
All Star Starter

Best fictional league ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
Just looking for some discussion here... I'm currently working on a quickstart to honor Orcin's CBA (for those that don't know, he's a legend in the Dynasty Reports forum) and am just throwing ideas around in my brain for other fictional setups that would be fun.

One I was thinking of last night would have been the CSBA or Continental States Baseball Association... use the 48 continental US states split into two leagues of 24. But really, I'm just looking to throw around other ideas or get input from those who have run extremely fun fictional leagues.

Always just looking for more fun leagues to play -- what do YOU find fun? Hopefully we can have an interesting discussion on this topic!

Funny you mention that. I was just going to start my own 50 states league. 26 east of the Mississippi, 24 west of the Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Funny you mention that. I was just going to start my own 50 states league. 26 east of the Mississippi, 24 west of the Mississippi.
I just foresee ridiculous scheduling problems with a 50 team league... but I guess if you do it 26/24, you might be OK, after all.

I personally love reading fictional leagues, and have enjoyed playing them. But, I want to really throw myself into one if I start one.

I probably will just stay with my two "reported" dynasties, but I'm definitely going to build a few good fictional universes this year, if for no other reason than when I don't feel like writing about my play.

At the same time, I think its a much cooler game when you report your leagues!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
wildcatrevival
Minors (Single A)

my elaborate and grand fictional ideas never get off the ground. The ones that I have the most fun with are the simple ones that I play for 50 seasons.

That being said, I have a couple of ideas that I started working on but havent finished. One was based in the Elder Scrolls universe. I got started on the world file before a hard drive crash derailed it.
Another was based on an open league format like soccer with promotion/relegation, a champions league, and a world cup. Hard drive crash killed that just as I was about to start (five crashes in ten years, I'm obviously doing something wrong).
My current project is an entirely fictional world based off a SimCity 4 region. Not a new idea, but a fun and immersive one.

So far none of my grand ideas have gone anywhere, but I have fun imaging them. And I keep a simple MLB setup going too.
wildcatrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

I like to make fictional leagues based on US states, or groups of states, and name the teams after real minor league teams that existed in those cities at some point. My favorite one so far was the North-South league, with battling teams in North and South Carolina. I am currently doing a California league along the same lines. I like using the minor league team names because a lot of them are so unusual and fun. and it feels like I am connecting with the real history of those cities.

Place to check out all minor league teams that ever existed in a given city:

Minor League Team Encyclopedia - Baseball-Reference.com
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

I'm just too much of a sports freak, especially GM sims. I already have two dynasty reports going, and I always have at least one since I started writing here last year. Unfortunately, I lost all of my leagues last year to a devastated CPU.

I have an active imagination (I am a writer) -- but I think sometimes the amount of options hurts me. I want to be able to come up with a feasible backstory for an MLB-style league... last year I did a fictional but it fizzled out because I just couldn't come up with a good backstory.

I'm actually sitting here reading about MLB's antitrust exemption, seeing if maybe I could spawn a league out of that...

I definitely wouldn't have a problem with logos/caps/uniforms for American cities at worst with this amazing place (and OOTPmods) but its just coming up with creative ideas.

Thanks for all the responses so far!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Leagues I have, you decide whether they are fun or not (I have quickstarts for all of these)
EBL vs MLB. MLB started in 1999 added Endor league baseball in 2003 with 8 teams expansion years of 2004, 2009,2012 & 2015 (current season) Also had ABL (Australia, defunct) CBF (Coruscant), TBL (Tatooine) and ***.
If you liek Star Wars you would like it and there are ways to make it exclusively Star Wars or even Star Trek

NFL. 32 teams set at 2000, needs work but fun so far.

ABF 16 team league with 4 levels of minors.

History of Baseball - currently stuck in 1883 fictional. started with 100% accurate NA in 1871 added NL in 1876 and AA in 1882.

History of the White Sox. stuck in 1911,

League ideas that I have

1. NASCAR league. Use the tracks as the cities, all nicknames racing themed. Darlington Gas Monkeys, Las Vegas Cautions, etc. Add all drivers as clones of real MLB players using facegen for them.
I want to do this but may require asking for new logos and jerseys and requires doing all FG's which will be tedious.

Starting a historical CephasJames league. CJ made great uniforms, gotta put them to use someday. Might do it as a RD league.

MLB vs *** vs PCL vs NNL. set in 2000 as a RD league. using Spritze DB.
Only major issue with this league is I dislike real ballpark photos and some of the NNL ones are hard to find.

Final idea which I have done a few times. Create yourself as a player play out all games in which you appear, no matter which level. retire and turn yourself into a coach and then follow your career as a coach. i tent o make a fake GM so i can control the games and make the former player version the MGR or PC.

Oh one more idea, kind of dead for now. Four Sports League. Take a MAL league, I start with 2000 so I can be a player in my prime. In July start NFL, might need a custom schedule that would have them play into December and January. GMO has one for a summer league. Add NHL and NBA in September & October. I had this league once before but it was not thought out enough. Right now it is a template on 11.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just too much of a sports freak, especially GM sims. I already have two dynasty reports going, and I always have at least one since I started writing here last year. Unfortunately, I lost all of my leagues last year to a devastated CPU.

I have an active imagination (I am a writer) -- but I think sometimes the amount of options hurts me. I want to be able to come up with a feasible backstory for an MLB-style league... last year I did a fictional but it fizzled out because I just couldn't come up with a good backstory.

I'm actually sitting here reading about MLB's antitrust exemption, seeing if maybe I could spawn a league out of that...

I definitely wouldn't have a problem with logos/caps/uniforms for American cities at worst with this amazing place (and OOTPmods) but its just coming up with creative ideas.

Thanks for all the responses so far!
Read my dynsty thread, while my writing is terrible, my backstory is good in my opinion.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3564866

I have looked at one of your dynasty threads, you could actually make my league exciting with your writing. As I said I have quickstarts from almost every year.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

I've come to enjoy small leagues. Simple to manage and getting to know the players is easier, for me. My current solo league has 12 teams in two divisions and a short 50 game schedule. One nice little twist is the way awards are handed out... Although there is no inter-circuit play, only one player wins each award regardless of the circuit he plays in. Sort of like it is in College football where only one player wins the Heisman trophy regardless of the fact that he may never have faced the other candidates. Always trying to look for ways to make the league sort of it's own. I'm into my 18th season and it's been a blast.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, if I do something it would be something of my own creation... just tossing around ideas more or less.

I'm thinking of just creating a fictional league of 2 subleagues with 3 divisions of 4 teams apiece. 24 teams to keep it "medium" sized. But have full art, uniforms and caps for AAA, AA, A and Rookie as well.

I already have my "alternative" history threads with the Random Debut both on the "level playing field" and starting from 1901. I just want a league where the stories HAVE to come from the league itself.

I'd probably start this league with a start date of 1983 and sim to 2013, start play in 14 so it has a full 30 year history and built in storylines.

Or I may just stick with my two leagues, I just kind of wanted something without real players. (To be fair, I don't use recalc, so everyone in my leagues is names to the development engine.)

There's just so much, I swear I probably read and talk more about this game than I actually play it.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I have a couple leagues running now that I'm really starting to get into.

1. HHoNA - Hardball Heroes of North America

16 teams, 9 USA, 4 Canadian, 3 Mexican. Two sub-leagues, one division, 8 teams. Top 2 in each make post-season. 3 @ 2 in a best of 3 with team 2 hosting all 3 games. Next round is best of 5 with a 1-4 split. The Championship (America's Cup) is best of 7, with a 2-5 format.

Lots of other unique rules/settings.

2. USBL - United States Baseball League

Similar layout as above, 2 sub leagues, 1 div, 8 teams. Top 2 make post season. Division series best of 5 with a 1-4 split, and Championship is best of 7 with a 2-5 split. Again plenty of unique settings.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

One of the most original ones I've seen is The NARBL. It's whole premise is that the US Civil War was a Stalemate, the USA split into two countries and has two baseball leagues...the North (2 Div, 7 teams each) has a salary Cap and revenue sharing...the South( 3 Div, 4 teams each) is a no cap free-for-all league where you are only limited by the money you make. The champs of each league meet for Baseball Supremacy. There is a whole back story for it...very original Idea. Makes for a very interesting on-line league to say the least
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
PhilledUp
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
One I was thinking of last night would have been the CSBA or Continental States Baseball Association... use the 48 continental US states split into two leagues of 24.
I have used this league setup. It's population based, so the biggest city in each state gets the big league team, AAA get the next biggest, etc. I am currently too obsessed with a different fictional league and so haven't gotten it too far off the ground.

Most of my leagues have standard MLB rules, but only have changes in geography. The NARBL sounds like a pretty cool twist though.
PhilledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilledUp View Post
I have used this league setup. It's population based, so the biggest city in each state gets the big league team, AAA get the next biggest, etc. I am currently too obsessed with a different fictional league and so haven't gotten it too far off the ground.

Most of my leagues have standard MLB rules, but only have changes in geography. The NARBL sounds like a pretty cool twist though.
I am in total agreement about the NARBL.

As far as the 48 continental idea, I was definitely going to do it and use the Top 10 Cities by State project for all of my logos/caps and unis. Only I realized that they don't have State uniforms made. I may just have to make a request.

I just can't do a league without full graphics, I guess I'm just OCD like that.

I think I'll have to post in that graphics thread and ask the creators if I could donate for a set of each state graphics as well.

Thanks for continuing with the input, everyone. It is fun reading about others leagues and ideas on this topic!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
As far as the 48 continental idea, I was definitely going to do it and use the Top 10 Cities by State project for all of my logos/caps and unis. Only I realized that they don't have State uniforms made. I may just have to make a request.

I just can't do a league without full graphics, I guess I'm just OCD like that.

I think I'll have to post in that graphics thread and ask the creators if I could donate for a set of each state graphics as well.
There was a "States Project" as well, though some of them may be missing.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Barkingturtle
Minors (Single A)

I am currently playing a 24-team league I call the Pan-Dimensional Baseball Association. Pretty standard rules, but with teams like the Hades Diablos, Mt Olympus Titans, Castle Greyskull Power, Transylvania Vampires, Whoville Whos etc etc. Using GIMP I've edited ballpark images extensively and crudely, and I've edited weather as well--it is never below 150 degrees in Hades, for instance.

My AAA level is all major league teams, and then I have a rookie league of international teams divided by region: Asian, European, Latin, Middle-Eastern, etc.

It's pretty much the nerdiest thing ever and I love it.
Barkingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
There was a "States Project" as well, though some of them may be missing.
Thank you, CJS! I hadn't searched for that yet, had pretty much just been scouring the Mods/Graphics forum and must have just overlooked it.

On a separate note, does anyone reading this thread have experience creating actual world files complete with differing maps? (The_Game, perhaps, with your Endor league?)

There is a medieval fantasy author, and a specific saga of books that I was enthralled with for years. I could actually put together a good fictional league with those books as there is a large amount of cities and the author wrote so well I'd be able to have differing weather patterns and the like in some cities that would fit in my head.

I've just never played around with anything not involving the Earth map, so I'm completely clueless.

I'm aware this is all branching away further from the original topic, but it still definitely is about fictional league ideas, so I hope no one minds. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

I'm working on one I don't want to talk about just yet, but from the moment I got the game and saw I could do a fictional league, and given how deep the world on this game is, I wanted to do this idea. It's a big, hairy idea I thought might fall apart as I looked into it, but I've been doing a lot of spadework on it and I've also been doing a dry run on the league, and I still think it's workable. I think I might be within a week or two of launching it, and when I do you'll see it posted over in the Historical section.

Which leads me to wonder: why is there no Fictional Leagues Sub-Forum? Seems to me that would be a really active sub-forum.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
I'm working on one I don't want to talk about just yet, but from the moment I got the game and saw I could do a fictional league, and given how deep the world on this game is, I wanted to do this idea. It's a big, hairy idea I thought might fall apart as I looked into it, but I've been doing a lot of spadework on it and I've also been doing a dry run on the league, and I still think it's workable. I think I might be within a week or two of launching it, and when I do you'll see it posted over in the Historical section.

Which leads me to wonder: why is there no Fictional Leagues Sub-Forum? Seems to me that would be a really active sub-forum.
Just because most people that do fictionals do dynasty reports and there generally isn't anything "game-breaking" or the like to warrant a whole forum. I'm no one on this website, but I would just guess that would be the reason why.

Most people that go in-depth fictional report their leagues, and most fictional "questions" can be handled right in general discussions.

I would definitely post there as well, just probably no need seen by the admins/moderators!