Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
neojonas
All Star Starter

Salaries for 40 man roster guys

I just noticed that everyone from my 40 man roster got the league minimum 490k/year major league salary even though some have not played a day in the majors yet. Is that correct?
neojonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojonas View Post
I just noticed that everyone from my 40 man roster got the league minimum 490k/year major league salary even though some have not played a day in the majors yet. Is that correct?
If the player spends the season on option to the minors, he'll actually only be paid a portion of the major league minimum (around one-sixth, I think). This is intended to mimic the split contracts that players new to the 40-man roster typically have.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

This relates to a question I have though -- which is: if you put a player on your 40-man roster with no (or little) major league experience, it says their contract will automatically renew for league minimum the following season, or at least until they become arbitration eligible. If I drop a player in this situation -- waive and send back the minors -- will this 'automatic contract renewal' still take place, or will the player get a minor league contract the next season?
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman2575 View Post
This relates to a question I have though -- which is: if you put a player on your 40-man roster with no (or little) major league experience, it says their contract will automatically renew for league minimum the following season, or at least until they become arbitration eligible. If I drop a player in this situation -- waive and send back the minors -- will this 'automatic contract renewal' still take place, or will the player get a minor league contract the next season?
In my experience, if you were to DFA/waive the player and take him off the 40-man roster, over the next offseason/preseason, he would go back to having a minor league contract, yes. At least I'm pretty sure that's how OOTP handles it unless I'm remembering it incorrectly.

I believe this behavior changed a few versions ago. It used to be that anyone in the minors on Opening Day would get switched to a minor league contract, even if they were on the 40-man roster. Can't remember which version it got changed, but now everyone on the 40-man roster on Opening Day has at least a league minimum ML contract, but if they're in the minors they only make a percentage of that ML contract - can't remember the exact percentage either (LGO mentioned 1/6th).

So to answer the OP's question, yes I do believe what you witnessed is how it's supposed to happen. You can take solace that your minor league guys are only collecting a percentage of those $490k/yr contracts, tho.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by hefalumps; 05-15-2013 at 03:10 PM.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
So to answer the OP's question, yes I do believe what you witnessed is how it's supposed to happen. You can take solace that your minor league guys are only collecting a percentage of those $490k/yr contracts, tho.
OOTP should perhaps make that clearer by listing the contract like this: $495,000 ($65,000 in minors).
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
neojonas
All Star Starter

Interesting. Thanks for the quick responses. I didn't know that about the fraction or split salary thing. I just saw that my current player payroll jumped way up and so I went to the Salaries page and saw everyone from my 40 man with a league minimum salary. I couldn't find anything about a split or fractional contract. Even under a player's contract tab it says they have a Major League contract for the league minimum. You'd think OOTP would indicate somewhere that this isn't fully true and give me the budget room to sign guys until these guys even make it to the majors.
neojonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
OOTP should perhaps make that clearer by listing the contract like this: $495,000 ($65,000 in minors).
Yeah, I also had no idea 40-man roster players in the minors only make 1/6 of the ML salary! Definitely important to know, since I've been very careful about putting guys on the 40-man roster, thinking I was going to have to pay them ~$500K just to toil away in the minors. Good to know I have a little more budget flexibility here.

And agree 100% the contract should be listed that way --
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure OOTP pro-rates the contracts. Can someone get a calculator out.

I'll try to do this myself later.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman2575 View Post
Yeah, I also had no idea 40-man roster players in the minors only make 1/6 of the ML salary! Definitely important to know, since I've been very careful about putting guys on the 40-man roster, thinking I was going to have to pay them ~$500K just to toil away in the minors.
I think this was added in OOTP 13 or perhaps 12, I forget which. In real life most players, as far as I'm aware, who are subject to being optioned and who are new to the 40-man roster have split contracts. That is, a contract which spells out one rate of pay when they're on the major league active roster and another rate of pay when on option to the minors.

The various CBAs have had rules for some time which specify the minimum amount of pay a player in the minors can have. For a player with at least one day of major league service, it works out to 1/6th the current major league minimum salary (this fraction has gone down over the years; it was over one-third at one point in the early 1980s). In 2007 a new minimum was added for players without major league experience who were added to the 40-man roster: it was half the rate of pay previously mentioned for those with major league service.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

The following from the manual suggests there are no pro-rated / split contracts -- not saying this settles the matter, but just to consider --

Split Contracts

In professional baseball, there exists a concept of a split contract, that dictates how much a player will make for playing in the majors, and how much he will make for playing in the minors. Split contracts do not exist in OOTP. You are either on a major league contract, or a minor league contract.

Out of the Park Baseball Manual
Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
hefalumps
All Star Starter

The only way I figured it out was using a spreadsheet. Things weren't adding up and it was really bugging me, so I carefully tracked my expenses to date and budget room on a day-by-day basis and I noticed over the course of the season that my budget room was slowly increasing daily because my projected expenses for the season kept shrinking slightly. It wasn't until I posted about it that Markus chimed in that he'd added the split contract thing for that version.

I'll see if I can dig up that thread... found it!

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...on-markus.html

And you guys were right - this did start in OOTP12.

Last edited by hefalumps; 05-15-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
snepp
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
And you guys were right - this did start in OOTP12.

It was there in v11.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post2976397
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3098952

Last edited by snepp; 05-16-2013 at 03:23 PM.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Hm... I assumed it started in 12 since my tests in 11 showed my year-to-date expenses increasing at a consistent rate of (player payroll) / (number of games). But maybe I just didn't have anyone in my minors with a salary at the time.