Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #121
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Storylines of players leaving baseball to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan can also be implemented for modern leagues.
And why not be really creative and make up some kind of future alien wars for leagues that sim into the future? Your 3012 league's star pitcher's career could be surprisingly interrupted with Martian Military Service.

Last edited by ootpFox07; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.
ootpFox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #122
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Event 1: Popular sports talk host, Host Z in City X has been lambasting the game-day managerial decisions of manager X and it has become a hot-topic for debate that has divided the fanbase into two separate camps. Host Z has claimed that "inside-sources" have informed him that the clubhouse is equally divided. Yesterday, the clubhouse was off-limits to the press during a closed-door clubhouse meeting with the players and the managers. The specific details of the meeting are unknown at this time.

7 days later a follow-up storyline occurs.

Event 2: Sports Talk Radio Host Z in City X broke the story today that manager X threw a chair destroying a stereo system last week after several players refused to turn off their music while he was giving a team speech about poorly executed fundamentals. A loud and vicious argument ensued between the manager and star player P that escalated into an outright shouting match amonst several key-players. GM X has announced that he will address the issue in a press conference tomorrow.

Next day...(one of 2 events is triggered)

Event 3A: Breaking News...Sports Talk Radio Host Z of City X broke a story last week about manager X losing control of the clubhouse. GM X addressed the media today and announced that, "the organization has lost confidence that manager X can regain control of the clubhouse and that in the best interests of the team the organization is forced to go in a different direction. Unfortuantely, we have terminated the contract of Manager X effective immediately. Bench coach Y will serve as interm manager until a suitable replacement is found." (highest rated star player estatic; some players happy; some players angry)

Event 3B: Breaking News...Sports Talk Radio Host Z of City X broke a story last week about manager X losing control of the clubhouse. GM X addressed the media today and announced that, "the organization is fully committed to manager x and is confident that he is the right man for the job. Management hired manager X because we feel that he has the leadership skills required to regain control of the clubhouse and that he best represents the culture that we are trying to build throughout our organization. Although we are alarmed by his loss of self-control in this particular incident we understand the bigger picture and we understand that sometimes things happen." (highest rated star player angry; some players unhappy; some players estatic)

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 02-16-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #123
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Story 1: Player breaks back shoveling snow, out 6-8 months

4 months later...

Story 2: It turns out he wasn't shoveling snow... it was really an affair with the manager's wife! Player's national popularity decreases.

(obviously Story 1 has to take place in winter for the "cover story" to make sense)
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #124
markmcghee
Minors (Double A)

Star player reports "missing time."

Star player reports "missing time." Undergoes multiple hypnosis sessions. Recovers fragments of memories of "missing time." The phrase, "me love you long time, GI," repeated over and over while under hypnosis. While many tabloids run the story as "Baseball star's ordeal--the first iron-clad, scientifically verified alien abduction case", others believe that his was a Grey Goose induced alien abduction case involving a Chinese masseuse named Ping and that it occurred during the early hours of the morning following a twi-night doubleheader in which the baseball star went 0-13, and the abduction was pretty much voluntary and, critically, no one is to tell his wife. Wife MUST believe that missing time was caused by real alien abduction involving anal probing and the works, and of course, it is to be understood and reiterated often that it was the baseball star getting probed, not the other way around.

Strange thing is that the baseball star's OPS jumped to Ruthian levels for exactly two months following the abduction, then mysteriously returned to pre-abduction levels. It was later determined that two weeks is the time it takes for MSG injected into the buttocks to flush from one's system. As a result, Baseball bans Doritos, Lays Potato chips, and all forms and brands of Kung Pow Chicken from the game due to the performance enhancement result from the mass consumption or injection of these chemicals by a player. Any player seen so much as whiffing an egg roll will be hit with a six figure fine and a substantial suspension from here on out. And of course, visits to unlicensed, injection-happy Chinese herbalist/masseuses by big league ball players is from this day forth, strictly verboten.
markmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #125
Go Tribe
All Star Starter

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Is it possible to do stories on players from the past? Like a Where are they Now feature a couple times a year where they pick a former player from your team and do a fake story about what the player is doing now? (ie Stockbroker, Managing in the low minors, homeless, etc etc)
Go Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #126
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
Is it possible to do stories on players from the past? Like a Where are they Now feature a couple times a year where they pick a former player from your team and do a fake story about what the player is doing now? (ie Stockbroker, Managing in the low minors, homeless, etc etc)
Problem is a player will have been on several teams. Retired players don't have a specific team that corresponds to them when they retire so while you could speak about the retired player being homeless, there is no ability to pull in the team name or baseball info. You can say that you only want to look for retired players with a .280 average and 3000 hits though (just an example) and run that as a story. You can make it kind of specific but not really specific. We do have a few storylines like this for OOTP 14 already.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #127
Mariners fan 24
Minors (Single A)

Two team mates decide to swap wives since both their marriages aren't going so well.

Player breaks a toe on his foot after having a suitcase dropped on his foot by his kid while leaving to go to the airport.

Popular player watches a fans little league game after he asks his fans on twitter for things to do to give back to the fans.

A closer saves a child in a burning building and helps put out the fire. He earns the nickname "The fireman."

Player helps clean up disaster area after a major disaster.

Last edited by Mariners fan 24; 02-21-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Mariners fan 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #128
mbi
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ni42 View Post
Player X (23-26 year old minor league player lacking ML talent) has retired suggesting he will a) attend college to finish degree, b) attend college to play football, c) rejoin former High School/College as assistant coach, d) pursue other avenues.

(If option C, dump into available personnel)
I really like this one, it could be used a decent amount to explain anyone in the minors who had any potential (aka drafted in the first 5 rounds) for retiring once they've any ability to make the big leagues.

One another note, I would like to see popularity ratings be tied into the reports of these stories. So if I have some 13th round guy who became real popular for whatever reason, he should have a high percentage of getting a story then a 4th rounder who had a cup of coffee but is insignificant.

Simple press release for something like this:

"Surrounded by his close family and friends, former top draft pick Tom Smith announced his official retirement after 6 uninspiring years in the minor leagues. Although Smith was drafted 7th overall in 2008, he was never able to live up to his potential as a top amateur pick.

For his minor league career, Smith notched 13 wins and 17 losses with an ERA of 4.61. "While I never expected to be done with the game so soon, I have no regrets looking back at my career and I thank all the teams I played with for the opportunity."

Smith went on to announce that he plans to go to college and study business/run for mayor of his hometown/explore the world while getting some needed time away/join high former high school's coaching staff/etc."
mbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #129
deandean1998
Minors (Triple A)

How about one like this.
Rumored drug use and partying has player X on the team's watch list, along with the leagues.

Player X says "I do not use drugs, but there is nothing wrong with partying."

OR

Player X was spotted in a video gone viral of him at a club, throwing his brother through a table. Some media backlash has happened. (If injured, change some to major)

Player X apologizes for his actions.
(You should choose to either A. Do nothing, B. Fine X amount money, C. Suspend for X games, or D. fine x amount and suspend for x amount games.
deandean1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #130
landru
Minors (Double A)

For these the Owner must have high greed or whatever the relevant characteristic is)

For 1871 - 1900 or so:

Opulent owner's private train car derails.

For 1900 - 1940 or so:

Opulent owner dies on maiden voyage of transatlantic liner (obviously Titanic-ish)

For 1940 - Present:

Opulent owner dies on private plane crash.

Owner dies. New owner takes over.
Morale and fan interest goes up
landru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #131
BMD
All Star Reserve

Part 1 (the set up)

A player is diagnosed with a back injury and will miss some time.

Part 2 at a later date (the twist)

Rumors arise that the "back injury" was really the player being stabbed by his wife after allegedly catching him cheating (or similar scandal.) The player's local popularity drops significantly and relationship with teammates turns toxic.

Part 3 when the player leaves team (the epilogue)

Former teammates remove any picture from the clubhouse that he was in.
BMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #132
BabyLemonade
Minors (Double A)

More of a suggestion.

I m currently playing OOTP13 ,MLB Quickstart into the 6th season(playing out every game) and my team went hot on August with 22 consecutive wins..This is rare as i know. Never happened to me before.

The messages did not follow this streak...After the 14th win a message appeared that the A's have won 10 in a row(but it was after win #14) with my GM saying that the kids are playing extremely well and that everyone in the franchise is very happy with the results etc..And that was it...After the 20th win no message appeared...When the streak ended (on my 23rd game)again nothing was mentioned.

I think this needs a small fix..While a player's hitting streak is well mentioned in the messages a team winning streak is kind of underestimated.
Thanks