Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

It's sad when we see this happen

Looks like the days of the last original player of my franchise will be over soon. As much as he was great for me all those years it's hard to see him become a pathetic useless player. Losing most of his offensive wasn't enough, but everytime the ball goes to his direction the risk of error is always present because all of defensive rating disapear (sad for a guy who won the golden glove eleven times in his career). When I think he wants more than 700$/year for the next three seasons... I just can't imagine wasting that much money and a rooster spot for three more seasons for a great guy with no career whatsoever...

It's funny how we feel about our player when we play the game... but I would like so much to see him reach the 1000 run scored with me.

The complete set (1871 to 1959)

Just the update (1950 to 1959)
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
AESP I know what ya mean. I hate saving a Rooster Spot for an aging player also. Duffy was a beast for me for 13 sns, but his defense became horrendous, he's been oft injured, and cant hit to my standards anymore.
Attached Images
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
endgame
Hall Of Famer

What's the average league salary? How seemingly overpaid would he be?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

This is the teams payroll for this season (1888). The active rooster is set at 25 players, but I suppose the payroll includes the disabled players and the minor leaguers with major league contract...

and to give an idea of what the best or overpaid players salary are this is the highest paid one for my league.

Last edited by AESP_pres; 04-18-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

In the grand scheme, if it were me, I probably wouldn't rule him out, but I'd try to negotiate a slightly lower salary. He may never return to his previous form, but I'd probably, like you, want to give him the opportunity. At what will amount to less than 5% of the payroll, it might be worth the risk and in addition preserve the fan base following him. Maybe you can talk him down to two years rather than three?

I know it's a random text element, but the only time I usually cut and run with these kinds of players is if they get an 'attitude' during negotiations. Then I find a way to get a couple maybe-players for them and send them packing.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

We never know maybe he will lower his salary requests if I wait after him to contact me in place of initiate the processus... Of course it's possible that it doesn't make a difference at all, since I was never place in front of that kind of dilemma. I don't want to see the fans starting riots in the streets of Brooklyn but I don't want to throw money by the window since I have to negociate with players who are good actually too.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
We never know maybe he will lower his salary requests if I wait after him to contact me in place of initiate the processus... Of course it's possible that it doesn't make a difference at all, since I was never place in front of that kind of dilemma. I don't want to see the fans starting riots in the streets of Brooklyn but I don't want to throw money by the window since I have to negociate with players who are good actually too.
how do u do your contracts in your league? I have never negotiated a contract except when i draft them...for 1901 which i still havent started playing that season. I switched it to 1 yr arbitration.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

I use the default rules, so after 6 pro seasons the players can become free agent. I find it more challenging even if it isn't realist, in fact the salary rest under control. By exemple Roger Connors is the best paid player because he is one of the best young player in the league and last year he became a free agent.

The A.I had a tendancy of locking the players with long term contract. I do the same with my young player, usually when they are eligible the second time for the arbitration. Sometimes it works great like when I sign a 5 years contract (740$/season) with Mike Dorgan, but sometimes the result is disastrous like when I gave 2,345$ for 3 seasons to Bill Wise who is more often injured than anything else....

In fact my team is an hospital for pitcher, by exemple last year I was so in trouble that I signed a 41 years old Cherokee Fisher and guess what? He was injured for a total of seven months after his first game (talk about throwing 300$ in the garbage). You have no idea of the crap I must claim on waiver to have some experience in my rotation....

Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Chicagofan76
Banned

for my league now that i have 1 yr arbitration and accurate owners finances should be relative to what they actually were in 1901. I made a ton of trades and trimmed my overall payroll by about 5K. now that i have cheap skate Commie as owner i expect not to be able to get any good 1st rd picks, and now i will have to make better trades overall.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Athletics17
All Star Starter

@ adep_pres
I just noticed how your signature and avatar relate to the competition between jimmy wood and Ross Barnes. It gives a nice insight to your league. Sorry to hijack.

Athletics17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
entropyw65
Minors (Single A)

Ross Barnes

Ross Barnes is ALWAYS my #1 pick when I start a league in 1871! He's the bomb!
entropyw65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Powderguy
All Star Reserve

Barnes is a monster in my historical replay I'm doing starting from 1871 as well.
Powderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
This is the teams payroll for this season (1888). The active rooster is set at 25 players, but I suppose the payroll includes the disabled players and the minor leaguers with major league contract...

and to give an idea of what the best or overpaid players salary are this is the highest paid one for my league.
Do you collect great first basemen? If the ones not playing first can field at all, you should win every year.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
Chicagofan76
Banned

AESP & other I wanted to shopw ya how little difference there is in team payrolls and player salaries for my league in 1901 compared to yours 12 yrs earlier. like i said i just changed to now to 1 yr arbitration so i am expecting salaries to skyrocket over the next 10 yrs.Heres also what Banes has done in my league.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Chicagofan76, Russ Barnes sure declined really fast in your league... at 32 years old his career was basically over

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Do you collect great first basemen? If the ones not playing first can field at all, you should win every year.
I have only Martin Powell who is in fact a first baseman in this list. This is who I've as first baseman in my organisation :

ML : Martin Powell (32), Henry Kohler (36)
AAA : Jake Virtue (23), Tom O'Rourke (22)
AA : Cyclone Ryan (22), Jerry Kane (22)
A : Dan O'Connor (19), Mike Roach (18)

Nothing that exceptional in the minor, maybe Virtue but he didn't perform really well when I recalled him.

I never win (I've won two world serie in 17 seasons), my team is an hospital for pitcher, actually I've 5 of them on my disable list and they are all starter

Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, I thought you were Chicago.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #17
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad I am not. They signed Roger Connor as a free agent before the season and this move make no sense since they already have Dan Brouthers under contract for 3 years. None of them can play another position than first base, so Connor don't play and he is quite mad and their win-loss average is only .318. Most of the time the AI is bright in this league, but this is sure a big exception

Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
Chicagofan76
Banned

When I 1st got 11 I tried an historical league and didnt know the players as well as I do know, other then the common greats. I had Ross Barnes, but I didnt know who Brouthers. In that league Brouthers was I thknk the 4 time consecutive MVP, when I finally traded for him at age 34. He quickly went downhill, I was paying him like 10k per yr. This time around I drafted Brouthers when I was the GM of the Brown Stockings and he is 1 of the 1st HOF ers.

AESP your buddy Jimmy Wood didnt do much in my league .284 398 H GG 1 MVP
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #19
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

It's from the league I played with before this one, but stop because of the lack of player available in the game database. So In this one Wood never played with me, but it's kind of sentimental since he was the first star I had in OOTP 11.

But in this league he was quite a player too, but his career is mostly done even if he continue to play.

Dan Brouthers is God in this world (just look his numbers untill this season), but as the complete team in Chicago nothing works... he isn't the only one who underperform, in fact almost everyone in the team is unhappy or angry and no one is happy (maybe because of the Roger Connor non-sense... Who knows?)

And this guy was the first one introduced in my Hall of Fame last year. Personally I didn't think he deserve it, but I let the game decide and not interfere with its judgement.

I don't know why but I imagine a lot of people shouting Who the hell is this guy

Last edited by AESP_pres; 04-23-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Who the hell is this guy?

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote