Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
jonpfl
Minors (Triple A)

Positional Strength Overview question

All,

Can someone explain the different columns?

What is the difference between 'Team ranking', 'Organizational ranking' and 'Overall ranking'?

Thx
jonpfl
jonpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
markprior22
All Star Starter

If I remember correctly, team ranking is based on who is on your major league roster, organizational ranking reflects talent at the minor league levels and overall is basically a combination of the two.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
s0ni42
Minors (Double A)

Haven't got the game yet.

Is this Positional strength editable or is it a report that you can only view?
s0ni42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ni42 View Post

You can only view it, and the above poster is right about what they mean.

Also, it's been my experience that these ratings are a so called "cheat" based on true ratings and not your scouts opinion. If this is incorrect please let me know, but I believe these ratings can be used to find out who the best true player is at each position on mlb teams and in the minor leagues. Kind of disappointing if that is the case.
Dr. dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

View only, and remember this is based on the the position the player has designated on his player profile by you or the AI. To view your internal team's strengths, utilize the Player Development screen.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
View only, and remember this is based on the the position the player has designated on his player profile by you or the AI. To view your internal team's strengths, utilize the Player Development screen.

Do you have any idea what the player development screen rankings are based on? It doesn't seem to be based on my scouts ratings, so I'm wondering if this is like the "top prospects report" and based on true ratings. If so I hate looking at this because I like to use scouting. But if this overrides my scout's ratings what's the point?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Is this only checked once a year? Because (at least past versions) i've changed a player's position/role and the list would still evaluate the player based on old position.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
EdReed20
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It's not that simple to explain... While it IS based on true ratings, it is also heavily based on current stats, so a fluky good year can lead to some mediocre 3B player ranking as the #4 or #5 player in the league, when his true talent would be - say - #15ish.

In regards to minor league rankings, DEPTH is a huge factor here. Example: you got 3 reasonably talented CF prospects in your own system, none of them has a chance to become a star, but all are very useful, plus you got 2 or 3 more CF spects that have a shot at making a 25-man roster one day. This farm will have a higher ranking than a farm that features only ONE CF spect of notice, even if that one CF is far superior to the 3 solid CF spects in your own system.

Now, the game can give the impression (by only naming the top prospect at each position) that your top CF prospect is some kind of superstar-in-the-making, but in reality your CF ranking is based on depth, not top-end talent.

In short, the window is VERY useful, but it requires brains, instincts and a broad knowledge base of your league to use properly.
But especially in Online Leagues that have scouting: ON, it can be a very helpful evaluation tool that can help you make smart decisions, and make you less reliant on your scout...
EdReed20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
s0ni42
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. dru View Post
Also, it's been my experience that these ratings are a so called "cheat" based on true ratings and not your scouts opinion. If this is incorrect please let me know, but I believe these ratings can be used to find out who the best true player is at each position on mlb teams and in the minor leagues. Kind of disappointing if that is the case.

I've been playing this game for a long time and highly doubt this is correct. I would imagine that it is built similar to the "BA Top Prospects and Top System". Primarily using OSA scouting and Stats as justification. I have built some pretty solid teams and I never rely on league-wide reports that use OSA scouting.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I've been playing this game for a long time and highly doubt this is correct. I would imagine that it is built similar to the "BA Top Prospects and Top System". Primarily using OSA scouting and Stats as justification. I have built some pretty solid teams and I never rely on league-wide reports that use OSA scouting.

I know that the top prospects list is not based on OSA scouting. You can do a quick search on the OOTP 11 forums and find that it is known to be based on true ratings. If you search and can't find the countless threads taht discuss this, then I will post one for you. But I am greater than 95% confident that the "top prospects list is based on true ratings" and I'm greater than 75% confident that the "Positional strength reports" and "Player development depth chart" is not based on your scouts ratings or OSA ratings which means they are either base on "stats" "true ratings" or a combination of both of these. I'm sure someone out there has the answers to this, but may just not want to post about it.

OSA ratings are inacurate and if it was based on OSA ratings the list would be pointless.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
s0ni42
Minors (Double A)

I am not overly concerned in looking that up (or arguing), but I can almost guarantee that those lists are not compiled from 'true ratings' because guys on that list are as likely to bust as any. I have had HOF'ers come from off that list as well, which would strongly discount the idea that these are compiled from 'true ratings.' Unless of course all 100 guys ahead of them were also HOF'ers (which is not the case).

Again, I am not concerned with arguing, but I have built powerhouses in solo and online leagues and I personally laugh at many of the players listed on these type reports.

IMHO there is no such thing as a 'true rating' found anywhere outside of editing the player.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not overly concerned in looking that up (or arguing), but I can almost guarantee that those lists are not compiled from 'true ratings' because guys on that list are as likely to bust as any. I have had HOF'ers come from off that list as well, which would strongly discount the idea that these are compiled from 'true ratings.' Unless of course all 100 guys ahead of them were also HOF'ers (which is not the case).

Again, I am not concerned with arguing, but I have built powerhouses in solo and online leagues and I personally laugh at many of the players listed on these type reports.

IMHO there is no such thing as a 'true rating' found anywhere outside of editing the player.
I second this as I just ran several searches and most of them turned up fruitless except for one post where dru said he thought it was based on 'true ratings'.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
I second this as I just ran several searches and most of them turned up fruitless except for one post where dru said he thought it was based on 'true ratings'.

Don't quit your day job:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...t-reports.html

If you look down toward the bottom of page one endgame makes a comment that this needs to be addressed in version 12 and that it's a good observation. He also seems to suggest that he knows something he is not able to discuss and then never comes back to the issue. This leads me to believe that he knows what's going on, but for some reason is unable to address it. If he could comment further perhaps that would clear up this confusion.

Last edited by Dr. dru; 06-29-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
s0ni42
Minors (Double A)

Highly speculative there. I am running that same test and the #2 ranked batter in 2013 is slated to bat .265, 18 HR, 52 BB, and 167 Ks if is full potential is reached. If that is the 2nd best spec, the league is in some serious trouble.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Highly speculative there. I am running that same test and the #2 ranked batter in 2013 is slated to bat .265, 18 HR, 52 BB, and 167 Ks if is full potential is reached. If that is the 2nd best spec, the league is in some serious trouble.

I don't know what to tell you and my point is also not to argue. I just want some clarification from someone that knows. And there are people that know one way or the other. From my personal "tests" it seems to me that the rankings are definitly based on true ratings (And believe me I wish this was not the case and would gladly accept a clear honest answer that was backed up with some evidence). As of right now the consensus from those that posted on the subject seems to be that something isn't right here. At any rate it's not based on OSA or your scout.

In my opinion for what it's worth there are two types of people that could answer this question:

1) Those that can't
2) Those that won't

Last edited by Dr. dru; 06-29-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
s0ni42
Minors (Double A)

Well, I understand you seeking a clear identifiable answer, but you will never get that. The beauty of baseball and this game is uncertainty. Everyone has their own strategy and uncertainty provides that opportunity. Generally, if I read something on a message board I am less likely to believe it

...But that is just me.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Well, I understand you seeking a clear identifiable answer, but you will never get that. The beauty of baseball and this game is uncertainty. Everyone has their own strategy and uncertainty provides that opportunity. Generally, if I read something on a message board I am less likely to believe it

...But that is just me.

Great motto to live by.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

It's actually fairly frustrating to look at my player development depth chart, because if I go based on my scouts rating it's not accurate. This is both confusing and frustrating and I bet within a few weeks or so other people will see this and will be confused. I wish someone would let us know what this depth chart is based on. Also, if it's your organization depth chart shouldn't it be based on your scout's ratings? At this point I'm tempted to just turn scouting off.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
s0ni42
Minors (Double A)

Operate with conviction in this game. There are plenty of routes for success. I know people that value OSA 100%, people that value their scout 100%, people that value stats 100%, and plenty that blend a combination. I guarantee there is a success story for every strategy. My advice is to pick a strategy and perfect it.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Operate with conviction in this game. There are plenty of routes for success. I know people that value OSA 100%, people that value their scout 100%, people that value stats 100%, and plenty that blend a combination. I guarantee there is a success story for every strategy. My advice is to pick a strategy and perfect it.
I agree. I like use my scout's ratings. However, it sucks that I can't use the organization depth chart, because that is very helpful. However, if you play with scouting then the depth chart is too helpful and it's actually disappointing.