Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
beorn
All Star Starter

Trouble with minor league contracts for players on the 40 man roster

In our online league Extra Innings Baseball, we are running into trouble where players on the 40 man roster optioned to the minors prior to spring training are ending up with major league contracts.

This season, I tried having teams get down to 25 one day prior to Opening Day. The problem still occurred.

However, the most puzzling thing is this: I have edited all those contracts back to minor league contracts, and during the sim they revert to major league minimum contracts.

I would understand reasons for OOTP to change, so that minor leaguers on the 40 man would receive the major league minimum salary, but that can't be the explanation, because it is not happening in my other leagues.

And, in any case, why would editing the contracts of players in the minor leagues not "stick"?

Anyone able to supply any insights as to what might be happening, or how to solve the problem?
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Trebro
All Star Reserve

Here's a question: Were any of them September call-ups? Or offered MLB deals as draft picks?
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
beorn
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
Here's a question: Were any of them September call-ups? Or offered MLB deals as draft picks?
No, these were guys who had minor league contracts halfway through spring training (I checked a backup file) and then got major league contracts, although sent down a day before Opening Day.

(A league member suggests that maybe there's a game setting where the season start date is a couple days earlier than Opening Day in the schedule we are using. That might possibly explain the major league contracts -- but it definitely does not explain why I can't edit them back to minor league contracts.)
Old 01-10-2015, 02:06 AM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorn View Post
No, these were guys who had minor league contracts halfway through spring training (I checked a backup file) and then got major league contracts, although sent down a day before Opening Day.

(A league member suggests that maybe there's a game setting where the season start date is a couple days earlier than Opening Day in the schedule we are using. That might possibly explain the major league contracts -- but it definitely does not explain why I can't edit them back to minor league contracts.)
I am the Twins, and I play the NL East (with the Marlins twice) + a Memorial Day week four-gamer with the Pirates, indicating this is the 2013 schedule with rotating opponents. I have the Royals schedule from that season... but that's kind of irrelevant. OR IS IT?

The 2013 season began on Sunday, March 31. You set the season to begin on the first Monday on or after April 1, but did not adjust the .lsdl schedule file to fit this. As a result, every game is played one day later than it should be. The schedule started on April 4 (Monday) instead of the intended April 3 (Sunday) pushing everything back a day. This may have confused the game into thinking April 3 was Opening Day, and because the last sim before the season started was to April 3... bingo.

There are two solutions to this problem. Either use my fixed schedule pack (2015 schedule coming shortly) if you're fine with rotating 2013/2014/2015, or use this schedule by GMO if you want to avoid re-importing the schedule file each season.

Last edited by bwburke94; 01-12-2015 at 12:16 AM.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
beorn
All Star Starter

Thanks, that makes sense -- and it fits with Mark's (Philly) theory of why this happened. Best of all, it provides a practical solution for next season.

The remaining problem -- and bigger mystery -- is why the edited contracts keep reverting to major league contracts after a few days. I cannot imagine why that would be.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The first link in post 4 is dead.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 AM   #7
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The first link in post 4 is dead.
Fixed... though the link was also in my sig, for what it's worth.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In our online league Extra Innings Baseball, we are running into trouble where players on the 40 man roster optioned to the minors prior to spring training are ending up with major league contracts.
WAD. All players on the 40 man roster must have a major league contract by MLB rules.

Major League Baseball rosters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also called the expanded roster, the 40-man is composed of all the players in a Major League club's organization who are signed to a major-league contract.

Baseball Rosters: 25-Man Roster and 40-Man Roster, A History

Also called the expanded roster, the 40-man is composed of all the players in a Major League club's organization who are signed to a major-league contract. These are the players who are able to be called up to the 25-man roster at any given time.

Also on the 40-man are any players on the 15-day disabled list and minor league players who are signed to a major-league contract but are on an "optional assignment" to the minors. (Each player has three "option years" to be sent to the minors once on the 40-man before they must be placed on waivers to be sent there.)
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I am trying to find the link but the rule is any minor league player added to the 40 5 days after the world series to opening day(?) is unsigned but becomes signed if he is on the 40 man roster on opening day. Again WAD.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
beorn
All Star Starter

Biggio, I think you are missing the point in calling this WAD.

1) OOTP should work the same way from league to league. The rule as you describe it, is in place in Dog Days or the PCBL (both of which I commish) nor P2B or NUEBL or Ashai2, all of which I run teams in.

So why would it be in place in this league?

I think that something wacky is going on, and, kind of like the proverbial stopped watch, it has produced something which is technically correct.

I'd have no problem with OOTP using the rule, as you describe it, although in that case GMs would know it was coming (and the finance page during the offseason would reflect it).

2) Regardless, the player editor not working to change salaries is just plain weird. This includes guys who were not even on the 40 man roster, just extra spring training invitees.