Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #21
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Calling this a job is a slap in the face to everybody who gets up every day a six and breaks his back all day for token compensation, e.g. hundreds of millions, maybe billions of people. Job! (snorts) What are his office hours for managing his social media presence?

Lucky bastard, and none too smart. Even ten years ago he'd be a third-rate sludge sweeper like all the other no-good do-nothin's.

At best he's "self-employed" or a freelancer or whatever. You know, like burglars, drug dealers and hustlers.
"Ok, Boomer."
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #22
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I don't understand the fascination - how in the world there is money to be made at it. Probably because I don't understand why people would want to watch to the degree that there is money to be made. That said...

I guess if I had a friend who was a slothful gamer, spending the bulk of his anti-social life in front of a monitor, I'd think it was pathetic, regardless of how much he was earning. OTOH, if I had a friend who spent hours honing his craft so he could make money in order to party like a rock star - I'd be his biggest cheerleader!
AS some of my gamer friends point out, the same people (including me) who don't get watching someone else play a video game have no problem spending much time, and investing much money, in watching other people play games on TV as long as we call it sports.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #23
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Calling this a job is a slap in the face to everybody who gets up every day a six and breaks his back all day for token compensation, e.g. hundreds of millions, maybe billions of people. Job! (snorts) What are his office hours for managing his social media presence?

Lucky bastard, and none too smart. Even ten years ago he'd be a third-rate sludge sweeper like all the other no-good do-nothin's.

At best he's "self-employed" or a freelancer or whatever. You know, like burglars, drug dealers and hustlers.
I have friends who are artists, writers and musicians. Are they also the moral equivalent of "burglars, drug dealers and hustlers".

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #24
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I have friends who are artists, writers and musicians. Are they also the moral equivalent of "burglars, drug dealers and hustlers".
No. The Arts contribute to society. Playing games does not.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #25
CBeisbol
Banned

A lot of unnoticed irony in people on a website dedicated to a computer sports game complaining about how lazy, entitled, etc these kids are for making money off of gaming.

I assume some of these people occasionally watch sports. There *are* threads for the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA football and basketball, and sumo wrestling.

Why (not "how" - so don't answer that question and think you're making a brilliant point) is playing a video game different than playing football or baseball?

Professional sports exist, not because they are a vital part of our existence, but solely because people enjoy them. Though, perhaps entertainment is, itself, a vital part of our existence.

I follow OOTP on Twitter, and I see that there are podcasts and links to twitch accounts. So, I can only assume that there are people spending their free time watching other people play OOTP.

I wonder if westheim wants to imply that those people are also the equivalent of drug dealers and burglars?

These people are providing entertainment and education. I'm sure some of you scoffed at the mention of "education". But, recall, that right now you are on a website for a computer baseball game. You've probably asked, or answered, a question about how to play OOTP. Perhaps you've posted about something that happened in your baseball universe. Maybe you even post here regularly about things other than OOTP because you feel a sense of community with other people who play OOTP or that you've interacted with here.

I imagine if the OOTP developers sent you a message saying, "We've noticed that your posts are informative and draw a lot of interest from the community, we'd like to renumerate you for said posts" you'd be flattered and likely accept.

If so, and you want to disparage online gamers for doing basically the exact same thing you are, just on video instead of writing, then get on out of here. Figuratively, not literally.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 11-11-2019 at 11:46 AM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #26
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Sure, guy with his results in an online gaming league and a link to a thread with, literally, thousands of posts about his game in his signature.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 11-11-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #27
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
It... uh... is a real job.
It most certainly is not.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #28
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

job a noun
1. A paid position of regular employment.
2. A task or piece of work, especially one that is paid.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #29
CBeisbol
Banned

No reason to post this

While there can certainly be a discussion as to what constitutes a job, that's not what the people here are doing. They just don't like that people can get paid "for playing video games". While ignoring that people get paid for playing sports, playing chess, etc. Nothing more. Don't flatter them by elevating their argument to something philosophical.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 11-11-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #30
pilight
All Star Starter

Most jobs contribute nothing to society, only to the boss' bank account.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #31
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Sure, guy with his results in an online gaming league and a link to a thread with, literally, thousands of posts about his game in his signature.
I put those in my signature in a forum about a game.

They're not in my regular CV though.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #32
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
I put those in my signature in a forum about a game.
And what do you think twitch, a popular place where people stream their games, is?

Quote:
They're not in my regular CV though.
What has that to do with anything?

How are your thousands of posts about your game different than what people do on twitch?

Be honest, it's the exact same thing.

Quote:
Sometimes the line is blurred, no?

Like when someone creates a
Quote:
fictional setup.
and then tries to
Quote:
breath life into it.
By creating characters and animating them
Quote:
The Thunder had just been swept by the Aces to close their advantage to just 3.5 games – so they undoubtedly were pretty angry.
Quote:
when Bowling came up, he found two on as well. What the heck, Jayson thought, I’ll just hit for three as well – and did
Quote:
Steve Walker, just returned from the DL, was nailed by a pitch from Stanton Coleman in the top 6th of the opener of the series, and it took some effort to keep him from ripping Coleman’s head right off.
Or describing the setting
Quote:
The series and the month started in terrible weather, it rained on and off throughout the first game. In those depressing dark grey surroundings, Logan Evans tried to develop a no-hit bid

But sure, when you do it, it's a nice little hobby. But someone else who does it and makes money off of it it is, as boomcoach rightfully called you out for saying, "the moral equivalent of"
Quote:
burglars, drug dealers and hustlers.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 11-11-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #33
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I don't know which nerve I hit with you, but if you dug as deep as the only useful thing Jayson Bowling ever did for Portland, you must be pretty aggravated. Ah, at least you didn't find the actual characters introduced over time...

What I do has nothing to do with what the stupid wimp that is the base of this topic is doing. He is doing it for money. I haven't made a dime off the Critters. He is doing that for some people's interpretation of a "job". I do accounting and taxes for a living. He (stupid, again) blames his viewers that he broke the rules to show them cool stuff. I don't recall scolding my handful of readers for me signing R.J. DeWeese. I like doing some creative writing. He doesn't seem able to form a coherent thought of more than 280 characters.

And I was of course cherry-picking with the burglars et al. If you haven't noticed by now, and I would not be surprised given that you're very busy trawling through my literary back catalogue from *2012*, yes, I have an intense dislike for the guy and thus will not liken him to - f.e.! - actual artists that, I don't know, produce the bronze statues in front of ballparks. No comparison to his throwaway media sludge produced for a throwaway media audience.

His contributions are worthless. His occupation is worthless. His whining is worthless.

I think I made myself clear by now.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #34
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
I do accounting and taxes for a living
Speaking of jobs that don't contribute to society...
Old 11-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #35
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #36
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
I don't know which nerve I hit with you
you must be pretty aggravated.
It's bad arguments. They are like the bat signal to me.

Quote:
What I do has nothing to do with what the stupid wimp that is the base of this topic is doing. He is doing it for money. I haven't made a dime off the Critters
His contributions are worthless. His occupation is worthless. His whining is worthless.
So, your argument as to why what he does is "worthless" is because what he does makes money and what you do doesn't? Seems odd.

To which you'll, likely, respond that you're not talking about monetary worth.

To which I'll respond that the type of worth you are talking about is 100% subjective.

You brought up that you do accounting and taxes for a living, even though, in your words "[w]hat [you] do has nothing to do with what [he] is doing". So who knows why you brought that up.

I have a degree in finance and accounting. I worked for about six months after my graduation in that field and then, literally, cut the tie that I was wearing because I couldn't stand doing something so worthless for another day - making money to help a company make money by making money for other people; talk about worthless. I decided to save lives instead.

We all find worth and value in different things.

Quote:
I think I made myself clear by now.
You made yourself clear a long time ago.

You don't like that people get paid for playing video games (while seemingly not caring that people get paid for playing football, playing baseball, playing basketball, playing hockey, playing soccer, boxing, wrestling, playing rugby, playing cricket, bowling, auto racing, playing tennis, doing rodeo, playing chess, playing poker, etc).

You don't like that people get paid because people enjoy watching them play video games (while not caring that people get paid because people enjoy watching them act, play an instrument, sing, perform magic, tell jokes, play sports, dance, do ventriloquism, etc...).

You don't like that people are popular for talking about their video game experiences online (while you talk about your computer baseball game experiences online).

It's fine to like what you like, and dislike what you dislike. But disparaging others for their preferences...
Old 11-12-2019, 02:39 AM   #37
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

There is a difference between playing Fortnite in front of an audience and playing MLB in front of an audience. One is real, one isn't.

I don't pretend my writing has any value for society either.

I would throw more words against the wall here, but I have tax returns to file...

Quote:
Have any of you driven on a public road lately? Used emergency services? Well then, good for you!

Last edited by Westheim; 11-12-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #38
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Have any of you driven on a public road lately? Used emergency services? Well then, good for you!
Helping people pay the least amount of taxes possible helps build roads and improve emergency services?

Or are you a government accountant, who contribute by pricing hammers at $500 each?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #39
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Helping people pay the least amount of taxes possible helps build roads and improve emergency services?

Or are you a government accountant, who contribute by pricing hammers at $500 each?

Just to be clear.....I think accountants are useful members of society. I just thought the response was hilarious.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #40
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
There is a difference between playing Fortnite in front of an audience and playing MLB in front of an audience. One is real, one isn't.
I mean they are absolutely both "real" but, anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Why (not "how" - so don't answer that question and think you're making a brilliant point) is playing a video game different than playing football or baseball