Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - Online Leagues

OOTP 17 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 17 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
banana403
Bat Boy

New To Online Leagues

I'm still new to OOTP in general, but I'm curious to see what online leagues are about.

What are characteristics of an online league I should look for? Any I should I avoid?

How do they run?
banana403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
threesportgeek
Minors (Double A)

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ay-online.html

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
threesportgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
stevem810
All Star Starter

There are lots and lots of differences. A few things to consider but by no means a complete list:

1. Fictional or Real Life Players

2. Size of league...They can range from 8-32 with most being 16, 24, and MLB style.

3. How often a sim is run. Some Commissioners sim every day others every other day, or a something in between.

4. How many days are simmed each sim. This is very important to me as I like to follow my team closely so sim lengths of 3-4 days are preferred. However, I am in some 7 day sim leagues and they run very well. Many GM's prefer the 7 day time period. There are only a few that sim daily or 2 games a day that I know of.

5. Some allow you to change franchises when you take over, others like to keep the city/nickname consistent. I come to like the latter.

6. Rules. Always review the rules to see if you like them.

7. In game/out of game responsibilities. If you are in a league that does some tasks 'out of game', for example you draft in the forum, that is very different than drafting in game or with a utility like statslab.

8. Some leagues use chat groups like SLACK to communicate. Others, may ask you to use AIM. SLACK seems to be a trend and I prefer all my leagues to be in slack.

Any questions about stuff send me a PM.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

1) All leagues become fictional at some point. Unless they regurgitate historical players in perpetuity. This is important if you join an MLB league, it will stop having real player and that can have an effect on interest.
2) Personal Preferences- Scouts? Coaches? Stars? OVR/POT-20-80? No OVR just POT?
There are a lot of ways to play so get as much info as you can.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
banana403
Bat Boy

So what happens in leagues that sim a bunch of games at a time and someone gets hurt in the middle?
Old 02-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

I think it's safe to say a majority of the online leagues will sim a week at a time, then the Commissioner will upload the game. You download the game, review and make any changes, then export. This is repeated for each sim.

So, if you have someone go down mid-week, you would see that when you next download the file, move him to the DL (if it's a couple of weeks or more of course) and then call up a player from AAA. When it actually happens, your AI manager will sub someone based on your depth chart.
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #7
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana403 View Post
So what happens in leagues that sim a bunch of games at a time and someone gets hurt in the middle?
The Ai deals with the depth chart until the sim ends. You deal with the DL and promotions to cover the injury when the sim ends and you DL your file.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
banana403
Bat Boy

What about compatibility among different years of the game?

Ie. What happens if I join a league with OOTP 17 and then 18 is released?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

Quote:
What about compatibility among different years of the game?

Ie. What happens if I join a league with OOTP 17 and then 18 is released?
the league will continue with ootp 17 until they decide to make the switch over.
it depends on the league how it is handled. some switch over once they finish the current season.

BUT, ootp18 doesnt change that you can (if you and your league choose to) keep using ootp 17 to run the league

Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
banana403
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupilami View Post
the league will continue with ootp 17 until they decide to make the switch over.
it depends on the league how it is handled. some switch over once they finish the current season.

BUT, ootp18 doesnt change that you can (if you and your league choose to) keep using ootp 17 to run the league
Then logically, everyone would have to be running the same game, right? Like if I was in a league that decided to switch to '18, but I, for whatever reason, don't want to, I'd be SOL.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

Quote:
Then logically, everyone would have to be running the same game, right? Like if I was in a league that decided to switch to '18, but I, for whatever reason, don't want to, I'd be SOL.
yes

Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm still new to OOTP in general, but I'm curious to see what online leagues are about.

What are characteristics of an online league I should look for? Any I should I avoid?

How do they run?
This will all depend on the league style/type/format you like. Start there ie., do you want to play in a league with MLB teams? etc... Then start for a league that has been around a long time. I would not get so set on a new league because some of them don't get pass year 1 or 2 UNLESS the commish is setting up a 2nd league and has experience and has proven themself to run a league successfully in the past. Look around the league for things like a constitution that is updated, a forum/slack method of communication - how often are topics updated? Is the league active or dead - does it matter to you if there is a ton of activity or not? Do you want to be in a leaugue that is laid back or hardcore... How much free time do you have to commit? So many ?s and answers that you have to first decide before you go on the search.

USF is offline   Reply With Quote