Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:45 AM   #21
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Mathewson has always been great but i don't think i have ever seen him match his real total in wins.
I have seen Lefty Grove win the triple crown in pitching 5 years in a row.
Although i seem to recall that he failed to win the Cy Young in a few of those years.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:41 AM   #22
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I just finished 1894 season and Cy Young already has 2 Cy Young awards and 2 championships. His record is 161-109 with an ERA of 2.87.
He should break into the top 20 in all time wins in 1895.
He went 34-20 in 1894 but had the highest ERA of his career at 4.20.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #23
ScorpioSymbol
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I don't know what happened to my Walter Johnson... he looked like he was going to have a stellar career, then in 1917 he dropped from 4.5 stars to 1 star and never recovered :/

These challenge mode seasons are a little odd to predict :/
ScorpioSymbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #24
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioSymbol View Post
I don't know what happened to my Walter Johnson... he looked like he was going to have a stellar career, then in 1917 he dropped from 4.5 stars to 1 star and never recovered :/

These challenge mode seasons are a little odd to predict :/
That would be the effect of no recalc plus the development engine wreaking havoc. As noted above, if you really can't stand this, don't play in Challenge Mode, and play with recalc (although I personally prefer recalc plus the player development engine - things are somewhat predictable, but can still get interesting). If you're OK with it, carry on in Challenge Mode.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #25
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
That would be the effect of no recalc plus the development engine wreaking havoc. As noted above, if you really can't stand this, don't play in Challenge Mode, and play with recalc (although I personally prefer recalc plus the player development engine - things are somewhat predictable, but can still get interesting). If you're OK with it, carry on in Challenge Mode.
I know some may call it heresey, but I find it fun. Usually players perform roughly to spec, give or take a bit, but sometimes players surprise you. A MLB star instead goes bust in his rookie year, sometimes a minor league guy you never heard of becomes a monster. I actually find it more realistic that way, the real stars of our world became that way from a combination of both natural talent, training, and sometimes just sheer happenstance. Change one little variable, and the whole house of cards can come tumbling down.

That said, wish the AI knew what to do with multi position players, Ruth tends to get stuck in pitching hell because the AI refuses to cross him over to outfield for instance.
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #26
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Based on a limited number of observations and without a decent study...

it SEEMS the aging and declining performance model applies most of the time even when a player did very well after age 30. Even players who in real life had by far their best years after age 30 haven't done well later career in the sims I've played.

In my current game (started 1966, now 1986) Henry Aaron retired about 1970 with HRs something around 500, Willie Stargell became a substitute by 1973 despite historically leading MLB in home runs 70 - 79, and it seems like every middle infielder who is 4 or 5 stars at age 25 ends up on the bench or in the minors or retired at age 30.

OK, I was surprised initially at how few star quality years some players had. I checked and it seems at least for me memory of how long someone was good is faulty. A lot of players had many fewer truly good years than I thought I remembered. But it seems seldom does a star stay a star past 30 in this game, even if they were real life.

Being 1986, Barry Bonds just came into the game. I'm really curious to see what the game does with him after seeing what happened to Aaron, Stargell, Willie Randolph, etc.

Last edited by Brad K; 12-30-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #27
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I took a look at Cy Young in my current league and i am puzzled to why Cy was so terrible in 1893-1895.
I believe it was 3 man rotation but i had to put him in the rotation because the computer insisted that he was a reliever.
But why would the ai consider him a reliever?
His real stats werent bad for those years and his previous simmed years were good enough for a starter.
He went back to starting without me making him a starter in 1896.
I was recaculating stats based on 3 years and rest of peak seasons at the time.
Sometimes it seems like the game gives far too much weight for the starting lineup to a player that did well in 5 games vs a player that had a bad season but played in 50 games.
Attached Images