Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 10-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Insomniac
Major Leagues

Opinions Needed: College Schedule

Every May and June, I get sucked back into college baseball. As the postseason starts, I find myself watching as many games as possible. Then I find myself wanting to play a good college season in OOTP.

I've tried many quickstarts developed by forum members over the years, most recently the series of World of College Baseball mods created by Dr. P.R. Park III (link: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=287719). And while I have found those mods highly entertaining, the one thing that has always bothered me has been the lack of realistic schedule (I tend to want to re-create history more often than not, so I want the league to be rather accurate). And when I say realistic schedule, this is what I am looking for:
  • Non-Conference schedule
  • Conference schedule (with a few non-conference games mixed in)
  • Conference tournaments (single elimination)
  • Regionals (double-elimination)
  • Super Regionals (best of 3)
  • College World Series (two brackets of 4 - double elimination; best-of-3 championship series)

Now, I know that OOTP was not designed for college ball, so there will always be limitations. I've played off and on with a few possibilities, but keep running into some walls -- so I'm seeking opinions on how to get around this.

Option 1: Each conference is its own league, brought together within an association

With this option, I can get conference play and conference tournaments. With the right association playoff setup, I can emulate most if not all of the postseason. But I do not believe that I can get the non-conference games -- or at least I haven't figured out how to do this properly.

Someone had recommended using a pre-season tournament to get those non-conference games. I had to manually add each team to the tournament, but it worked -- I was able to get x number of non-conference games. BUT, 1) there was no guarantee I wouldn't get a conference matchup in the non-conference portion of the schedule, and 2) the tournament games were not part of the team's overall record for the association playoffs.

Ultimately, I would play 30 games of "non-conference" tournament and then 30 games of conference play -- but I would have two different 30-game standings sets.

Option 2: 1 league, each conference is a conference within the league

I'll preface this one by saying that I am willing to enter a full schedule for testing purposes -- manually or via import from an Excel file.

With this option, I can get the non-conference schedule, and the conference schedule. I believe I can even get a good postseason set up. But what I would lack here -- or at least is above my knowledge level -- would be the conference tournaments.

Also, I'd believe that a year-by-year schedule for a league like this could not be automated. And I'd likely have to manually manipulate the postseason -- at least a little bit. Sacrifices I am willing to make...

So the question I have is, what is the best way to combine these two options to get as much of what I want as I can. I'm going to continue to look into this, but I welcome the opinions of those of you who have played with scheduling through the years.

I welcome your thoughts, and will try to provide updates if I make any progress.