Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary

Old 06-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Filtered hints.txt file for fictional and historical leagues

I took pstrickert's expanded file and removed all the entries that seemed to be specific to real-life MLB, its history, and its players. I also removed all attributions for quotes as they had connections to real-life MLB as well. I took out anything that seemed like it would be anachronistic for early leagues like mentions of internet, TV, etc. The idea is that these are just generic baseball quotes and bits of trivia that should apply to all leagues. It's down to less than 1400 entries now, but who of us can honestly say we've ever seen more than the same 5 things every time anyway?

I left in a few quotes about specific players but used in generic contexts. My idea was that a few of those quotes you may be able to attribute to some player in your league. Might be more confusing or annoying than is worth so those might need to be taken out too.

There also may be a few things that I missed or quotes that don't make sense out of context, let me know if anything else needs to be removed.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kmcc02c5ktt3v12/hints.txt
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

this is great.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post
I took pstrickert's expanded file and removed all the entries that seemed to be specific to real-life MLB, its history, and its players. I also removed all attributions for quotes as they had connections to real-life MLB as well. I took out anything that seemed like it would be anachronistic for early leagues like mentions of internet, TV, etc. The idea is that these are just generic baseball quotes and bits of trivia that should apply to all leagues. It's down to less than 1400 entries now, but who of us can honestly say we've ever seen more than the same 5 things every time anyway?

I left in a few quotes about specific players but used in generic contexts. My idea was that a few of those quotes you may be able to attribute to some player in your league. Might be more confusing or annoying than is worth so those might need to be taken out too.

There also may be a few things that I missed or quotes that don't make sense out of context, let me know if anything else needs to be removed.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kmcc02c5ktt3v12/hints.txt
Great job.... really appreciated.

I saw one anachronistic reference to the Simpsons and nuclear power plants...

Does using this file still allow the game to include its own game-generated "hints" that are actually based on the current game you're playing? I am just getting into modifying the XML files after 10 years of OOTPBing.
warneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warneke View Post

Does using this file still allow the game to include its own game-generated "hints" that are actually based on the current game you're playing? I am just getting into modifying the XML files after 10 years of OOTPBing.

Yes
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warneke View Post
Great job.... really appreciated.

I saw one anachronistic reference to the Simpsons and nuclear power plants...

The way to generate more of those is to clear out the hints.txt file [I usually leave a blank line at the top, though] and save and then go back into the game. That usually will make the game only give you data from the league you're playing in.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote