Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
pubs
Minors (Single A)

New to online league - looking for tips

Hey everyone,

I've just signed up to my first online league OOTP 16 after playing the solo version 15 for some time. So I have plenty of experience running the software but none in a competitive league setting. What would be your tips for a newbie to succeed in an online league?
pubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

1) Finances- Make sure you have a good handle on the league finances and where you rank in them. Capped? SoftCap with revenue sharing? Uncapped? Media COntracts?
2) Market, Loyalty and Interest- These are essential to projecting revenue. If you have a small market (relative to the league) you will have a hard time keeping up with the large markets.I am on season 7 of a team that was small market, low loyalty and low interest. I have 3 playoffs, 1 WS appearance in 7 years. My market has not increased, my loyalty may have and my interest is good. I took the team knowing it would be a 10+ season rebuild to strong finances.
See where you stack up on the league finances page.
3) How much better are the top teams that the rest?
Does the league frown on an extreme build-bust cycle?
Some leagues do not care if a team goes for the #1 pick others see it as cheap but not cheating.

That is where I would start.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #3
pubs
Minors (Single A)

The league is just starting

Thanks for the tips. I have the LA Dodgers franchise.

We are actually still recruiting in this league and the rules may still be changed. Here's a snippet of the rules. I was wondering about the scouting? Says scouting is off. How do you recognize good talented players in amateur drafts and international FAs without it? Also, how do you ensure your Mil players are progressing properly through the system?

Scouting - OFF
Coaches - OFF
Ratings 1-10
Star Ratings - Enabled
Injury - Normal
Suspension - Normal
Batter/Pitcher Aging Speed - .900
Batter/Pitcher Dev Speed - 1.100
Talent Change Randomness - 100

Minor Lg Ghose Players - Enabled
Option Years - Enabled
Rule 5 Draft - Enabled (December 1st)
Trading Recently Drafted Players - Enabled
10/5 Rule - Disabled

Amateur Draft - Offseason, December 2nd
Draft Rounds - 35
Generate Players - 36
Advanced Draftee Signing - Enabled
National Media Contract - Same for every team
Budget Control - Entire budget is available
Cash Max - None
Old 02-08-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Scouting off means that all Ratings are 100% accurate. It is common in online leagues. There are other ways, like the 1-10 scale that can make rating imprecise or murky.

As the Dodgers I would imagine you will be in a bully position in Free Agency unless they impose some constraints. I would be careful signing Comp Eligible players, over the long haul it can really hurt. If there is a good FA class AND I have a ton of free salary room I will sacrifice a draft to load up on talent.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
pubs
Minors (Single A)

Ah ok that makes sense. Will I have a larger budget for International players compared to other franchises?

I have a pretty good crop of prospects. Is there anything I need to worry about to ensure they mature efficiently & effectively? Or just hand the reins to the minor league staff (AI) and let them handle?

As for building my team, what do you think is the most critical component to success?