Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

HOF Questions

Hey guys, I just have a couple of questions regarding the HOF.

1. Is there any way to edit plaques in-game? There may be a way to create a plaque externally using photoshop or something, but I was wondering if I could do it in-game.

2. How can I raise the requirements to get in? I had raised the 'player milestones' totals prior to starting the game a bit...could I not have raised them enough? I just don't want any more guys with 1900 hits and 250 HRs getting automatically inducted. I know that, as the player, I have the final say, but I was wondering if I could just get the AI to vote more realistically.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_15 View Post
Hey guys, I just have a couple of questions regarding the HOF.

1. Is there any way to edit plaques in-game? There may be a way to create a plaque externally using photoshop or something, but I was wondering if I could do it in-game.

2. How can I raise the requirements to get in? I had raised the 'player milestones' totals prior to starting the game a bit...could I not have raised them enough? I just don't want any more guys with 1900 hits and 250 HRs getting automatically inducted. I know that, as the player, I have the final say, but I was wondering if I could just get the AI to vote more realistically.
Somebody more qualified than me is going to have to answer question 1. As for question 2, on the League Settings > Options page there are a couple of check boxes under the heading "Hall of Fame Settings". You want to check the box that says "Enable manual HoF voting". This allows you to cast a ballot. You want to uncheck the box that says "Disable automatic HoF induction" if you want the game to have a say in who gets in. If you use this setup be sure to vote every year, even if you submit a blank ballot because your vote carries a lot of weight (sidenote: I'm not actually affiliated with the game, so I don't know how much, but I know it's a lot), which is what you seem to want if I'm reading correctly.

If, on the other hand, you want absolute power, you want to check both boxes, and then only your vote will count. Everyone that gets in will be unanimous. Those that don't will get 0% of the vote because you are the God of your league, and only those you deem worthy shall garner a plaque in the HoF. I can't remember what the other combinations of check/uncheck do, but of these two I'm certain that's the end result through experience.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

I do abide by what you said; the problem I've encountered is that guys I don't think deserve to be inducted (ie guys with 1900 hits and 250 dingers) get in even if I submit an empty ballot. I was just wondering if I could make the AI votes a bit more realistic. This is for a fictional league, if that means anything.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:38 AM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I do abide by what you said; the problem I've encountered is that guys I don't think deserve to be inducted (ie guys with 1900 hits and 250 dingers) get in even if I submit an empty ballot. I was just wondering if I could make the AI votes a bit more realistic. This is for a fictional league, if that means anything.
Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear that. Maybe I'll go back to being God of my game.

As for the milestones you mentioned, give me some context, because if that's an up the middle player with a great glove those are very good numbers, especially if it was a shorter career. What was his career WAR? How about his JAWS? How did he do in the Black Ink, Grey Ink, HoF Standards, HoF Monitor categories? What about his "trophy case" i.e. gold gloves, silver sluggers, MVPs, All-Star games, that sort of thing? How much service time?

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-30-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
DB930
Major Leagues

I've bumped my induction requirements all the way up to 90%, and my experience so far has been that it seems to have worked. The truly legendary guys (like the one who recently finished with 492 wins) sail in easily with 98-99%. The great players will start with %'s in the mid-to-high 80s, and then get in on the 2nd or 3rd ballot. And those who were merely "very, very good" will (assuming you don't vote for them) start in the 60s or low 70s, and eventually maybe creep up over 80, but never get to 90 (again: so far, at least; fingers crossed).
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear that. Maybe I'll go back to being God of my game.

As for the milestones you mentioned, give me some context, because if that's an up the middle player with a great glove those are very good numbers, especially if it was a shorter career. What was his career WAR? How about his JAWS? How did he do in the Black Ink, Grey Ink, HoF Standards, HoF Monitor categories? What about his "trophy case" i.e. gold gloves, silver sluggers, MVPs, All-Star games, that sort of thing? How much service time?
He was a catcher with decent defense. One or two gold gloves. Pretty good amount of all star appearances though...8-10 somewhere in that range.

I guess it'll just be a case where I just manually pick the guys I think should be in the hall. I'm ultimately fine with kicking guys out like that.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He was a catcher with decent defense. One or two gold gloves. Pretty good amount of all star appearances though...8-10 somewhere in that range.

I guess it'll just be a case where I just manually pick the guys I think should be in the hall. I'm ultimately fine with kicking guys out like that.
That explains it. Catchers have notoriously short careers with fewer AB because the position is such a grind. IRL, Bill Dickey had 1969 Hits and 202 HR in his career and Mickey Cochrane had 1652 Hits and 119 HR in his. Both of them absolutely belong in the HoF, but you can't see that if you only look at "Hits and Dingers".

You have to look deeper. Well you don't have to because it's your game, play it your way and all that, but try looking at WAR, JAWS, Black Ink, Gray Ink, HoF Standards, HoF Monitor, awards they garnered.

Even the greatest catcher of all-time, Johnny Bench "only" had 2048 Hits and 389 HR. Would he make your HoF? I don't know. It may be a question to ask yourself before you rip this guy out of the HoF. A bit of hyperbole perhaps, but I know I certainly wouldn't want to have to explain to the Dickey and Cochrane families why I was removing their relative from Cooperstown, even though I strongly believe both of them absolutely, without question, belong there. There's a reason that no catcher has ever had 2850 Hits or 430 HR: it is a grind, and there is far more to it than what a player can do for you offensively. I don't mean to come across as an ass with this post. As I said above, it is your game, play it your way. I'm just passionate about the real life HoF, and the OOTP HoF.

Last edited by actionjackson; 01-30-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
That explains it. Catchers have notoriously short careers with fewer AB because the position is such a grind. IRL, Bill Dickey had 1969 Hits and 202 HR in his career and Mickey Cochrane had 1652 Hits and 119 HR in his. Both of them absolutely belong in the HoF, but you can't see that if you only look at "Hits and Dingers".

You have to look deeper. Well you don't have to because it's your game, play it your way and all that, but try looking at WAR, JAWS, Black Ink, Gray Ink, HoF Standards, HoF Monitor, awards they garnered.

Even the greatest catcher of all-time, Johnny Bench "only" had 2048 Hits and 389 HR. Would he make your HoF? I don't know. It may be a question to ask yourself before you rip this guy out of the HoF. A bit of hyperbole perhaps, but I know I certainly wouldn't want to have to explain to the Dickey and Cochrane families why I was removing their relative from Cooperstown, even though I strongly believe both of them absolutely, without question, belong there. There's a reason that no catcher has ever had 2850 Hits or 430 HR: it is a grind, and there is far more to it than what a player can do for you offensively. I don't mean to come across as an ass with this post. As I said above, it is your game, play it you're way. I'm just passionate about the real life HoF, and the OOTP HoF.
You know, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that
Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that
No problem. It's all about context. In my game, I have a 3,000 hit guy and another guy with 500 HR who I won't put in, yet I have other guys with around 1700 hits, and 110-210 HR who I will put in. I like my HoFers well rounded. I lean rather heavily on WAR and JAWS, but it is my game, and I'll play it my way.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
jollyschwa
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post
I've bumped my induction requirements all the way up to 90%, and my experience so far has been that it seems to have worked. The truly legendary guys (like the one who recently finished with 492 wins) sail in easily with 98-99%. The great players will start with %'s in the mid-to-high 80s, and then get in on the 2nd or 3rd ballot. And those who were merely "very, very good" will (assuming you don't vote for them) start in the 60s or low 70s, and eventually maybe creep up over 80, but never get to 90 (again: so far, at least; fingers crossed).
I did the same thing and can't think of anytime I disagreed with a 90% guy getting in.

But I also do my own veterans committee type thing every 5 seasons. For me, the Hall of Fame is less about stats and more about the "fame". So awards weigh heavily with me. If a guy makes 10 all-star games and gets 5 gold gloves, he was one of, if not THE best at his position for a decade and deserves to be in.

I had a guy once that won the MVP twice in his first four years, was an AS each year and won 3 gold gloves. Then he went down with an injury and was done. I didn't hesitate to put him in.
jollyschwa is offline   Reply With Quote